What do you linux people think about snaps/flatpacks?

What do you linux people think about snaps/flatpacks?

Attached: index.jpg (189x267, 11K)

I've only ever used snap once and the application didn't even work as intended after installing.
Installed it manually and everything was flawless.

I meant flatpack.

I prefer Appimage

don't trust them

But why?

I wish I was a cute anime girl.

bloat and trash

Don't we all.

you can pretend you are one while I pound your ass

I fail do see how snaps, flatpaks, and appimages are anything more than application developers trying to do an end run around distro repositories. Because the distros insist on things like the application being able to build properly and sanely in a standardized environment, often on there being some kind of stable branch so that users have less disruption and bother to deal with, and on being able to do things like patch security issues in shared libraries so that everything using it gets fixed at once.

Application developers hate this because it means they have to write their application properly instead of just shitting out whatever broken garbage they have this week. So they invented their own retarded systems to try and get around it.

i coooming coumsi very mucho cuom oohhh so much is coming out oh mybgod

>I fail do see how snaps, flatpaks, and appimages are anything more than application developers trying to do an end run around distro repositories
That's basically it. They want developer controlled release cadence for most desktop software like on Windows and Mac, and server stuff to be in containers or distro packages. Look at Fedora Silverblue for their vision of the future Linux desktop.

>They want developer controlled release cadence for most desktop software like on Windows and Mac
the lack of that is one of the big reasons why Linux is so much more bearable than Windows or Mac though. In any case, the people who want to live in that kind of world already have the option: rolling-release distros. The fact that a lot of Linux users opt to use non-rolling distros should tell the application developers something, that a lot of users want them not to do what they want to do here.

They're shit compared to appimage.
Snaps load slow as fuck and need root to install.
Flatpaks don't work well with theming.
They both require you to install yet another dependency/daemon to work.

>the lack of that is one of the big reasons why Linux is so much more bearable
Open source software will still use repos. These packaging systems are the solution for proprietary software.

Flat packs are retarded. You have to download fucking 532 MB for an application that would otherwise be only 20MB on your system. Know why? Because every flatpack is designed to pack its own dependencies in every image. That means every shared object, every configuration, with no reusability in-between It’s like MS windows with fucking fucking 40 copies of every fucking DLL. I came to linux to get away from that shit. I hoe it stays dead. Yes I mad.

tldr; it’s literal bloat

>These packaging systems are the solution for proprietary software

All the more reason to stay far away from them. I value my freedom, and will actively stay away from them from now on

>Because every flatpack is designed to pack its own dependencies in every image. That means every shared object, every configuration, with no reusability in-between It’s like MS windows with fucking fucking 40 copies of every fucking DLL.
This is the exact opposite of what I heard here previously. Flatpak dependencies aren't shared throughout the system but they are shared within Flatpak installs. Your second application wouldn't be 532 MB anymore if it uses the same stuff.

They're also the solution for a lot of FOSS. It's just more convenient to make an appimage which runs on any Linux than to have to make a deb, rpm and whatever arch uses files.

>with no reusability in-between
the runtimes for things like Mesa and ffmpeg are shared, as are given releases of a runtime like GNOME or KDE. Unfortunately lots of applications use different versions.

Flatpak has a base runtime that is shared between all applications.

Appimages don't share dependencies
Snaps have proprietary backend
Flatpaks share dependencies with other flatpaks and its opensource so I think its the best one

Snap crap, fp eh

The one downside with flatpaks is you can't apply most gtk or icon themes.

Where are her tits? This isn't a boy... is it?

I don't use neither. I use one appimage on my Debian system, that's it.

That's sort of a complicated question. Watch the anime.

Agreed. It is a power dispute.

fucking retarded, cancerous

Her face looks kinda boyish to me

>posting the thumbnail

Attached: 1561379601053.png (566x800, 405K)

What anime is it?

>>posting the thumbnail

Attached: image.jpg (1018x1440, 325K)

Ore Twintails

>>>posting the thumbnail

Attached: da16pOk.jpg (1132x1600, 178K)

Looks like trash written for pedophiles.

Isn't most anime?

Attached: flatpak.jpg (1132x1600, 327K)

I uninstalled that snap client immediately when I saw the "buy" commandline option.
They're trying to turn linux into windows and I'll have no part in it.

There's nothing wrong with charging for software.

Snaps are great for ubuntu/debian/stupid maintainers, if the piece of software is built by a retard aka the people who build debian/ubuntu software, it may be lacking features that is fixed in a snap. For example obs does not support nvenc on debian/ubuntu repos due to muh freedumbs and the offical snap just does.

Sounds like a neat idea, but I've never used it personally. I use Fedora.

Snap sucks fucking dick, the themes are all fucked and shits broken cus of the permission system.
Don't have any experience with flatpack.

Nice, picked up.

Attached: ff3d0020f70ea59b5301de8d8df4839b3aa907e7a607b94d9539daa0fd73f9c1.jpg (1920x1581, 797K)

Post some Aika lewds, faggot.

tell me a difference that flatpack makes compared to installing manually

>install Chromium through snap
>install Chromium through apt
The apt one was a smaller download, takes less space and loads quicker. It's almost like sharing shared libraries between the different programs that use them results in fewer disk reads and allows the kernel to reuse the same read-only memory pages.

I was sceptic but they are very comfy indeed
I usually add a lot of PPAs on ubuntu lts because stuff like emulators, libreoffice, media players, gimp and other software I use is often many versions behind, now I only have the flatpak ppa
I can install okular and dolphin without borking my mainly gtk system with kde stuff (I only use kde on desktop) or the opposite when I'm using kde neon
sandboxing is neat but not perfect (a lot of applications just give all the permissions from the start, you can override it tho), still better than nothing like native
about runtimes, they are a little big but storage is cheap so whatever, I like using the same version of every software in ubuntu, fedora or debian, it's particularly nice when a distro use patched version of libraries breaking other software like kde neon, I tried flatpak because it cannot install something depending on a qt library, flatpak just works
the only problem I see is , everyone can pretend to be the original dev of a popular software and upload a trojanized version on flathub, I'd like stronger security and better sandboxing
I still think is a great technology overcoming one of the greatest limitations of gnu/linux, superior to appimage both in security (yes there is firejail, still outdated dependencies are a problem), storage requirements and system integration
snap are shit, I hope canonical just start using flatpak natively on ubuntu so I can delete my only PPA

>thumbnail

Attached: 1554125159036.jpg (548x548, 64K)

Appimage is the least retarded of the three, but they're all pretty terrible, both in theory and in implementation.

dont care about them but damn i want to lick all over that chest

What the fuck are you talking about? Aika is 100% girl.

Attached: f0d4a06acf931d738df3483885510d74c22b83ffdc8b5d0c4d5b7e9c9ab9a7df.png (640x800, 264K)

her personality isn't very befitting of a girl

I think AppImage is friendlier, Docker is more widely used, and nix / guix packages ultimately also simply make more sense to me.

Her body definitely is, though.

Attached: 1c2f5dd0ce65fb5bc91886f0aca6585f455cceed15f7416a41f9bdaa93c2a20f.jpg (1280x1917, 709K)

then again in some cases I need to run outdated linux like ubuntu 16 or something to run isolated software just as adobe cold fusion and a pirated version of some "ableton of linux" program to try music production. Using linux really sucks it's so limiting to try artistic activities except krita is pretty good.

Should I just run an outdated kernel or something to run this stuff? I heard about docker and VMs as well. What's the best solution?