Classic WOW performance

Blizzard needs to rewrite their servers into rust.

But jokes aside, are they doing the peak of what can be done in 2020 or are they slacking off? Do you guys think they are even using async? How fucking hard can it be to have 300 people in one zone with their layering hackfix.

General net high performance discussion go.

Attached: 1566911508315[1].png (1920x1080, 2.98M)

>world of warcraft
>

I believe the limitation is a problem with the BFA client they use instead of the original Vanilla client. The new bloated client shits itself if there are a certain number of people on screen, this can be seen on retail where it puts players in another cross realm instance if there's too many folks and you never see as many people on the same screen giving the impression that the MMO is low pop or dead. That's why there is sharding/layering in Classic to prevent the client from melting down but it can handle more players on screen than retail due to less data being needed to send to client and servers. Private servers (Nostalrius, Lights Hope) that used the original client and were running on servers far worse than a AAA billion dollar gaming company were fine with showing more people than what a classic layer can handle.

The client hypothesis is interesting. I'm sure that if I was to see 1/3rd of the players that can be seen in the "nostalrius good bye" video my client would shit itself. However I don't think that the new client is responsible for the overall server lag we are seeing. Doubtful there are that many messages being sent. If it were true, then even for blizzard that would a very low hanging fruit to fix.

I remember when blizzard was bragging about their new server performance and arch overhaul in WoD. Now here we are, not matching the performance of a 15 year old client and losing to some casual 5 man developer team that can't even control the client code. JUST

It's almost a 20 year old engine, there's only so much you can do without entirely rewriting the thing.

might be true for client code but server code should be fixable. at least performance wise. its a point where fan project had they implemented layering (hackfix where you only see a portion of the population) would outperform what blizzard has to offer.

nobody here has ever programmed an online game, expect peak dunning-kruger

>server code should be fixable.
it's not broken

The lag is definitely a server issue. I'm just saying that the number of people you see and the reason why they use the same world instancing tech as retail must be a client issue. I mean it's not unreasonable to believe since the current client they use is bloated by over 15 years of spaghetti code.

Somehow their current server infrastructure is worse than it used to be, i don't even know how they managed it.

WoW has always been highly unoptimized, so their game server software is probably no different

>playing anything blizzard related in 2019
can't imagine the level of cuckness you have to endure

>2019
>paying for a fucking game AND paying subscription
You must be truly fucking retarded.

I believe you no longer have to buy the base game

I think it's funny that the system requirements for WoWs latest expansion is higher than FFXIVs latest expansion despite WoW being so fucking old and originally ran on Windows XP toasters.

all of their good employees quit the company (kern), moved to different project teams (kaplan), or retired (metzen). all you're left with are interns and people that shouldn't be in lead positions.

It's exactly because it's old that all the tacked on visual improvements fucked up the engine, it's unoptimized as fuck compared to how buttery smooth it used to be before Cata.

Look at ESO.
Go ask those plebs about their server and game performance, I dare you.
WoW looks like a diamond next to that.

The difference is that ESO is getting better little by little, WoW is getting worse.
Client is a ressource hog that even pushes the best hardware, server infrastructure is getting worse every year since 2012 because they obviously downscaled and moved from physical server to a shitty cluster architecture that can't handle 40 people without shitting itself.
How much do you wanna bet they actually dusted off the old racks for Classic?

>good employees
>kaplan
overrated.

How, in 2019 is this even a problem? We have AWS and other cloud services now that scale with any type of demand. This wasn't even available just 8 years ago.

This just shows Blizzard spent probably no money on this, and it was one giant cash grab.

>This just shows Blizzard spent probably no money on this, and it was one giant cash grab.
no shit. blizzard actually didn't want to make classic originally when they even told their paying customers "you think you do but you don't". but finance bigwigs saw how much money can be made from the nostalgia trend in gaming (HD remasters, mini consoles, etc) and hopped on the train out of money and not passion.

original server blades were running 2 AMD Opteron 275's which are 2 core cpus.

im guessing they are by now on 2010 intel xeons and not Epycs because activision are kikes

Feel free to go back, /v/tard. Nobody likes you.

I just find it funny how a big private server launch by spics in their basement running on desktop tier specs went smoother than a multi billion dollar company that have teams of college educated people and bleeding edge hardware at their disposal.

>what are private servers

"Classic" is just running BfA's codebase, it can't be fixed because WoW's spaghetti codebase is shit

wizard grade basement autism far outweights wagecucking

They should just make a WoW 2 at this point. But then again, most of the game design talent from Blizzard is gone so WoW 2 will probably play like a HD smartphone game with KB+M support.

Throwing more hardware wont work if the underlying arch can't use it. I'm pretty sure blizzard is using something like the now outdated "a thread per connection" model which is why they are basically fucked. This is why a pajeet could write a server that handles more people, just by being async and if I remember correctly gummys tbc server was like that.

.. anyone reading ithare here?

>momma I can't handle low level networking
back to /webdev/ with you shits.

>I think binary layer 8 is low level while clear text level 8 is high level webdev shit
you both are retards

yeah he ruined the MMO genre with his raiding autism.

Attached: mmo history.png (1020x1600, 907K)

>ithare
read over his "modernizing operating systems" series. guy sounds like a retard/pajeet. "I should my DB server in ring0 because it's the only app on the box anyway" just disregarding anything computer security taught us in the last few decades

pngquant.org

Attached: 1547918220537.png (1020x1600, 162K)

>The difference is that ESO is getting better little by little
You don't play it nor did you even ask the guys, did you?
It's been getting worse, little by little. Specially when it comes to server and game performance.

getting rid of the cost of ring 3 would give you an estimed 20-40% perf boost in most apps. I agree that some stuff he's saying is BS but that's something we should be able to discuss. The ring shit is old and we could probably do better.