Be sysadmin

>be sysadmin
>half the time I have literally nothing to do
What else am I supposed to do?
The network is ok, shared folders are ok, backups take 2 minutes to do, tech support is quick since users are retarded.

Attached: De.jpg (640x960, 63K)

Do certs
Program something cool
Automate something
Help someone else out
Take a Udemy course your interested in

Attached: 1535087141493.jpg (498x663, 50K)

that's the beauty of it user
enjoy

i browse more 4channel employed than when i was a neet

Attached: a.jpg (711x400, 71K)

Alright, thats it. How do I become sysadmin?

you must be a sysadmin at a very small company because if it were a medium-big company then you would be busy all day with calls and meetings.

I'm an a/v tech at an aquarium and i literally only do 1 hour of work then spend the next 7 hours watching youtube and looking at instagram models. $58k/year.

Just enjoy it while u can lol

Get certified Linux+/LPIC-1, MSCE, and maybe something network related and you'll be qualified for most jobs.

Sysadmin plus experience plus Python, git, and config-management tool experience equals devops, which pays a hell of a lot better, but isn't as lazy.

are you in california or something

NetHack motherfucker.

The Amulet of Yendor won"t retrieve itself.

he makes these threads calling himself a sysadmin
It's his moms home network
his uncle sometimes asks him to fix the office computer

better question
what should i study to become one?
Getting paid to do nothing sounds awesome.

Tell yourself you'll use the free time to study, then fuck around on Jow Forums all day. Become consumed by a nagging sense of failure and a fear or being found out as you atrophy your mind. Learn to justify it, only looking up every now and then to think of where you could have gotten. Decade later and still going strong here.

>Getting paid to do nothing sounds awesome
you can already do that, it's called making passive income. it takes far less work than getting a degree or networking with people. learn how to make apps or websites.

shitpost on Jow Forums

This. Try working for a company with global facilities. You’ll get a call at 3am because someone broke DHCP in Japan.

Or just grow marijuana like me. I put in MAYBE 10 hours a week on average and I get a minimum of $60k/year from it. I could go larger but why get greedy.

this
fuck I wish I could get away with youtube.
no, it sucks ass. I sit at a desk for 9 hours a day doing nothing, and 2 hours behind the wheel to get to and away from doing nothing. I'm only able to do things I want to do on weekends, so it's just painful to sit when I have unfinished projects at home.

study so you can get a real job

t. neet

Contemplate, daydream, think something not related to computers.

What if my employers think I'm worthless?

>automate everything
>get fired

you aren't supposted to let your boss know

Where do you live, user?

You're being paid to be available in case something goes wrong, not just to do work. Consider it sort of like a patrol cop. Most of the time you'll just be chilling and eating donuts, but you're paid to be there just in case something does happen.

Get paid while taking it easy.

Study new skills or work on projects that could potentially lead to getting out of wagecuckery long-term.
I'm in the same boat.

>no, it sucks ass. I sit at a desk for 9 hours a day doing nothing, and 2 hours behind the wheel to get to and away from doing nothing. I'm only able to do things I want to do on weekends, so it's just painful to sit when I have unfinished projects at home.
There's your problem. You want to convince your boss to let you work from home. If you can't, then you want to find a new job.
From there you're good.

hit too close to home

>tfw working for MSP
kill me

What skills i need for being admin? I can program in few languages, i use linux and i know basic theory behind tcp/ip is this enough?

yes

>complaining about a do nothing job
kys faggot, I work my butt of for wally walmart putting crap on shelves while the sales associates are playing on their phones

Learn Active Directory and maintaining a mail server and you'll be good with that skill set.

>system breaks down, because it always breaks down eventually
>you now have to call the guy you fired and pray he'll help you out
>if he's smart he'll charge you out the ass, if he's vicious he'll just hang up the phone

protip: don't piss off people upon whose good graces depends your critical infrastructure

open hackertyper.com
pretend you're ebin programmer whenever someone looks your way

I am legit considering becoming a bug hunter
>find one bug
>gain 50k+
>at home so i dont have to drop my spaguetti

>if he is me he will charge you and fuck up your system even more in a way that cant be tied down to him

Wander around and annoy other people

Banter with the lads near you

Honestly I have fuckloads of work and I still do this

> tfw spend 8 hour completely focused on work to come home shattered
I don't even drink coffee. How the fuck do all you shits find time to slack off?

Attached: fight-club_1999-3-1920x1200_scroller-640x400.jpg (640x400, 51K)

How big is your company?

Find a better job

If you're really worried, break something every other week and promptly fix it to justify your paycheck.

>got job
>bought a pass
>now i spend half my workday on Jow Forums on my phone
totally worth the $20 btw

What happens when you tell your boss you have nothing to do?

>What else am I supposed to do?
Do some shit that shows your worth to the company and makes you look busy.

Done

Yo wtf I want in
Suggest me some resources to learn to become a sysadmin

Learn programming before the cloud/aws laid you off.

r/sysadmin

>boss
implying your sysadmin boss will know anything or be too busy to even talk to you

Where's your little pass-fag icon?

>if he's vicious he'll just hang up the phone
i did something akin to this after being asked back by the people who fired me, to do some "consulting". i knew they meant reconfiguring their server and re-imaging the machines on their network. so out of spite, i said i didn't have the time. they called back twice more over the next month and i gave them the same answer. when i realized i could have charged twice as much as i did when i was their employee, i felt like a goddamn fool. like a fucking fool i tell ya.

I know that feel, bro