Whoever came up with this stupid shit format needs to be stoned!

Whoever came up with this stupid shit format needs to be stoned!

Attached: 24823-picture1.png (587x604, 378K)

webop?

webp. don't know if it has anything to do with oil

Actually they were already stoned when they came up with that shit

the only reason why you hate it is because it's not used commonly enough in your photo viewers and media players. You'll love it when it becomes mainstream the same way you love png and jpeg

Attached: smug picard.jpg (1252x1252, 135K)

Why? It makes those moving previews when you hover on videos in sites like Youtube possible because it has good compression, imagine if it was gif. It will probably be replaced by AV1 soon enough anyway.

>av1
sure.
But AV1 needs to go more than just Internet.
AOM needs to lobby broadcast equipment providers into making hardware AV1 encoders for the classic broadcast industry. Otherwise HEVC will continue dominating the market.

b-but muh file sizes

is it really a new format? when i open a webp image in irfanview, its says its a png file

> love png and jpeg
both sucks

When Jow Forums will accept this format? There were like 10 instances where I had to upload a different pic because of the webp format.

>is it really a new format?
New-ish. It's soon nine years old.
>when i open a webp image in irfanview, its says its a png file
Some websites are weird and serve images with a wrong extension.

Where did you even get webp files from?

More like webpoop LOLE

Well, I don't see you offering a superior alternative, faggot

google images & wikis automatically use webp.

APNG and FLIF

>Whoever came up with this stupid shit format needs to be stoned!
You need to be stoned, it's the best lossless image format, if it replaces PNG we will have MUCH better compression coupled with MUCH faster decompression.

i'm stoned, it's legal here asshole

DUDE

It's just VP8 but in image forma.

Underrated post

who actually likes jpg?

I like it for being so fast and being so compatible. As far as compression efficiency it is obviously lacking. Programs like The JPEG Reducer and wxPackJPG can help with JPEG lossless compression.

If your useragent says chrome, cloudflare will serve webps no matter what to cut down filesizes. It's good for annoying people who still use unmodified chrome in the current year.

>APNG
APNG is an unofficial extension to the PNG standard. Mozilla should've pushed MNG instead.
>FLIF
Dead format with a lacking implementation. Focus shifted towards FUIF and JPEG XL.

Only if we're talking about lossy WebP.

browser consolidation

I like it. There are things that it's terrible for but when you use its strengths it's great. It's like the mp3 of image formats. Sure you could have a lossless FLAC or whatever but everyone still uses mp3 for the small size and convenience.

Except unless compressed to extremes MP3 compression is virtually undetectable
>inb4 achshually I can tell the difference between flac and MP3
No you can't

Most people forget MP3 compression uses psychoacoustic analysis for removing frequencies in situations the human ear can't detect, such as removing the lowest amplitude frequency when two frequencies are playing very close to each other. When done right, it's actually impossible for a person to detect these changes (because their ears simply can't), assuming high enough bit rate.

TL;DR:
>MP3 is good enough

Unless taken to extremes JPEG compression is virtually undetectable in most images, especially photos. PNG is useful for graphics and text inside an image, but beyond that you're usually better off using JPEG.
>inb4 achshually I can tell the difference between a .jpg and .png photo
No you can't

Well, with webm there was a point, since there wasn't really a web-usable video container.
webp was superfluous from the start.
JPG, PNG, GIF...where exactly did it want to fit in, while not doing the job orders of magnitude better?