/tpg/ - Cutepad General

Last thread:

Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards
>Great durability (excl L and E series)
>Utilitarian design
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Most models are easy to repair, upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model and spare parts are easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, easier to use when typing
>Good for Hackintoshing

Models before *40 series can be Corebooted

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available for a good price, socketed CPU (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Chink Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, miniDP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: 1548455913115147.jpg (1746x2328, 959K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnome-look.org/p/1251112/
aliexpress.com/item/32872007706.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what de/theme is this

Attached: 1549042259434159.jpg (2328x1746, 3.31M)

he's my media player and my main machine. how does Jow Forums like?

Attached: 1566925833.png (1794x2048, 2.24M)

kek whats the battery like on the gayming laptop?

Attached: 75646215_p0.jpg (1240x1600, 195K)

also, based lain poster, where can i find the css for that?

god, i love that grub screen

30 minutes. worst purchase of my life

Attached: 1445185160398.jpg (600x630, 22K)

fuck quoted myself

that theme is long gone lel, it was just come hex codes entered into oneechan tho i think i used hex codes from this pic
think i used this, jsut moved the menu location in the config files and also changed the bg
wew that awful, can it even play vidya well? what are the specs

Attached: 1492517231456-0.jpg (1920x1200, 713K)

What would you guys say is the best qtpad to use Photoshop and FL studio on, maybe even a video editing software but just for fun

>what are the specs
i7-8750
gtx1060
144hz monitor
>can it even play vidya well?
fuck no, it stutters like shit because of intel optimus both and overheating. i cant even play osu for 10 minutes without having to let my computer take a break.. at least it was on sale for $800 ;)

Hard to say... Do you like wearing cute socks?

X250 coming soon what am I in for boys?

possibly owo

Kawaii uguu experience 100%~~!

Attached: 8CE54CC5-FCCF-4C89-AF08-C9A193AD24A1.jpg (968x1148, 567K)

even my t410 can run photoshop so for that it shouldn't matter unless you're doing projects with a huge amount of layers, i dont think fl is tough on performance, i think you need a lot of ram for it though. maybe got for an x220/t420 maybe even the 30 gen
have you changed the paste could just be shitty factory paste although i cant imagine a machine like that not overheating kek

Attached: 5997935_p0.jpg (654x800, 254K)

My T420 won't boot if I enable hardware virtualization. Pain. Wish it wasn't so difficult to find help for specific models.

Attached: 73211145-1A0B-4C33-A9E9-3BAA97BA3F7D.jpg (1000x1486, 675K)

ask /sqt/

They direct me here. You direct me there. You're the same user, aren't you

wtf is wrong with you fucking animetards
why can't you just go fucking kill yourselves

look at this baka

See

How's this for my first thinkpad? I'm looking for better value.

w530. k2000m graphics, 16 or 32gb ram, 1920x1080 ips screen, 3740qm quad core or better, >256gb ssd

what do you guys play on your cutepads when you feel lonely?

lolipads are disgrace

i look at lolis on pixiv

Attached: 1565088105932.jpg (850x1174, 235K)

you're on anime site desu

i wouldn't go with a dgpu unless you really need it. other than that it's not a bad choice.

I watched Luke Smith’s video on ThinkPads. He mentioned how the keyboard on the T420(the final one with classic keyboard) is much better than the newer ones.
I really like the T440p though. Is he just memeing and the keyboard on the T440p is still very good or is the T420 overall(the entire laptop) much better in every single way?

does x200 have the same keyboard as t400? i have t400 and i absolutely love the feel of it but something more compact as far as thinkpads go. also, how's the battery life for the x200?

i wouldn't say that the t420 is better than the t440p in every way, but the t420 was the one of the last laptops to have features (modding exempt) that for autists, like me, care very deeply about. generally, if you haven't disabled your trackpad yet, you probably don't care about these features and the t440 is the better laptop for you,

How do i rice my bootloader like the chad in OP's image

The key switches are same on T430 as in T420.
The caps have just very flat rectangular shape.
Later thinkpads made the caps a bit more concave again, but X-series has no longer full size keys and some T***s thinkpads have low travel distance.

Honestly, I think the main reason why people dislike the new keyboard is the non-traditional layout rather than the keys themselves. I actually have come to prefer the new layout after getting used to it.

In my opinion it's not better in every single way
sure some people say the older keyboards are nicer but I like both a lot and wouldnt downgrade the entire machine for it

nethack

I definitely prefer the older keyboards, but I've read some people think otherwise. Still, if all you want is the old keyboard you could get a t430 and do the classic keyboard mod. That way you also get ivy bridge out of the box and usb 3.0 without meme expresscard expansions that fail half the time.

the keyboards have different part model numbers, but the feel is the same. as for battery, you will probably want to buy a new one unless the previous owner had replaced it already (i would check battery capacity when you first get it). once that is done some people have reported 10-12 hours with the 9cell battery, others 5-8 hours so who knows.

i used grub customizer to install the theme gnome-look.org/p/1251112/
forgot link in other reply
they both have great kbs i think its down to personal preference, main issue people have with the newer ones if the layout of some of the keys but i dont really mind the difference

Attached: 1565259085089.jpg (2840x4036, 1.05M)

i'd probably do all the heavy lifting once i ssh into my server. i'd use that x200 on the go as a thin client. nothing too crazy so battery life should be good. well, one of the reason i want to get a x200 is because you can libreboot that thing easily but you can libreboot t400 as well so i'm conflicted.

Newb question, I have X1 carbon.
Is gentoo a good idea? How much slower is something more binary like Arch? What if I am using genkernel so there is some bloat in gentoo?

I want to use the computer to learn neural networks. Good performance for high workload python scripts is my goal right now

thank you

aliexpress.com/item/32872007706.html
This should be compatible with Ultrabase Series 3, right?

Attached: 1566197709954.png (404x404, 118K)

My wife illya us very cute

>x1 carbon
look at this retard lmao

What’s wrong with X1?
>t. T440p

Solid laptop. The only thing I dislike is the screen, because I got one with a TN panel. It's an easy replacement tho, I just don't have enough money to afford the 1080p ISP panel right now. Keep in mind that you can install an additional 2422 M.2 SSD in it.

>lurk /tpg/ and r/thinkpad for weeks trying to decide on a new laptop
>get one
>love it
>no incentive to browse anymore
>don't even care enough about these places to post pictures of the new machine
i'm out nerds

Basically the macbook version of thinkpads

normies ruin everything

Attached: 0svppu40p9g31.jpg (4032x3024, 1.13M)

What gen?, my 3rd gen works nice with opensuse but 8 gb of ram is a too low sometimes.

dilate

It was 'used' but not even opened, from my friend. He gave me a huge deal. I can't afford anything else like this.

I got a good deal but with an HDD so I will replace that first with an SSD

you use a gaming laptop to play audio files?
why not just sell it and buy something less shit than an old sandy bridge thinkpad

well for music and video it should be more than enough

I am not sure, I think 5 or 6 gen, almost exactly as this What do you mean? Lots of preinstalled software? or is it a deeper issue

bet thats exactly what you do owning a "macpad"

bet you could have still gotten something more powerfull for that money but hey you did join the l33thax0r thinkpad club on Jow Forums with your macbook ripoff now :))))))

really wanted to get the e495, but it came with a ryzen 2 refresh
heard amd thonkpads are shit
so should I wait for zen 2 (+navi), or just forget about it?

also, peps couldn't really tell me why amd thinkpads are shit...

the guy used his discount and his own money to pay 4/5 of a laptop for me, I'm very grateful. I will not tell him "no, this is the wrong laptop"

checked

Attached: 1544478867970.png (400x400, 79K)

unironically cringe

From what I understand you guys only recommend old thinkpads and say newer ones are trash. What if I want something new, what do I get then?

>one of the reason i want to get a x200 is because you can libreboot that thing easily but you can libreboot t400 as well so i'm conflicted
depends what you value more. screen size or portability. if you value screen size, go with t400; if you value portability go with x200;
they're both great machines and you can't go wrong with either.

>you use a gaming laptop to play audio files?
yes
>why not just sell it and buy something less shit than an old sandy bridge thinkpad
i'm hurt

wait 3 years

>chrome
>spotify
>visual studio
ewww yuckies

x1 is the only new thinkpad i would consider.
but it is too expensive and too overkill for my needs.

the thing is that brand new ThinkPads are quite overpriced or just not that attractive when comparing to other new laptops with similar features

Best 802.11ac upgrade for X220? Best way to dewhitelist BIOS? My shitty 2.4GHz 802.11n card is bottlenecking me.

Will need a laptop to study and program on, budget is around $1000. What would Jow Forums recommend?

If you're talking about the carbon, I don't see how it's better than a t480/490. It's thinner and lighter, but also even less upgradable and runs hotter.
If you're talking about the x1 extreme it's expensive as shit. It's almost Apple pricing.
I wasn't clear. I wasn't talking about brand new, unused ones straight from Lenovo. With "newer", I meant more modern. For example a used t480. I've seen countless people here talking shit about the t480 in a manner that seems unrelated to price.
I can also get an unused t490 with an i7-8565u, MX250, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD for €1300, which is a better price than equivalent laptops from other brands, even though the t490 is admittedly not much of a thinkpad.

I plan to buy a Thinkpad to libreboot it and install a GNU/Linux-libre distribution. Should I choose Parabola or Hyperbola?

buy a noose

Is $300 for a t440s a decent deal?

yeah kinda

always depends on specs and condition

What linux distro should i install on my x220 with i7 and 4gigs of ram? I use kubuntu on my main machine and i like kde a lot, but should i get something faster?

you already know the answer

WHERE THE FUCK
do I get an IPS monitor for the T420
it was simple for the X200

I don't know what your needs are, are you sure you want machines that new? Im not saying you should go for t420 but i have a t560 with the 940mx and I'm loving the shit out of it, the battery life is amazing with the internal battery, does everything i want including light gaming the keyboard is awesome. Got it brand new for pennies, too but thay may not be the case for you. It works with the old docks too so that's cool. A major drawback is lack of thunderbolt/expresscard/whatever to hook up an egpu without exposing the guts.

Gentoo it is then.
For real though, i am a bit of a noob and really don't know, so any serious thoughts on this are appreciated.

*tips fedora*

Hello I need help comrades. My thinkpad somehow broke its panel and I'm devistated. I didn't know this was possible. I have a t410 and when I tried to look for replacements I couldn't find anything less than 40 euros! It's a decade old laptop why is panel so expensive! I live in Eastern Europe so I cannot afford this high price and I can't find anyone selling these locally :( sorry if I do not respond I am on my dacha atm. Here is photo of my dacha I take on my zenit et. Sadly it is too big for 4 chan so I must take screenshot. Please enjoy.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-08-28-00-13-39-038_com.miui.gallery.png (1280x720, 652K)

what panel cyka

I do not know, I have t410. Are there different ones or something?

I need something better than dual core ULV CPUs. I currently have a laptop with an i7-5500u and a 940m and it just doesn't cut it at times.
I'd really like a t440p but I suspect it's way too thick and heavy to be portable. T460p with an i7 are pretty much impossible to find here unless you're willing to pay like 1.5-2k (I'm not). So the logical choice seems to be a t480 or t490. 4c/8t CPUs that run at almost half the TDP of CPUs like the i7-4910MQ or i7-6820HQ (the ULV processors in thinkpads are allowed to run at 25w instead of 15w afaik) while having almost identical performance. The fact that I don't have to worry about them being able to run a 60hz 4k monitor without sacrificing colors is a bonus. My other option would be an XPS or something like that.
I apologise for the blogpost but the point is that new thinkpads make sense for me and I want to understand why they're supposedly bad except for their pricing which isn't an issue for me since I won't be buying them at MRSP.

blyat what the fuck is broken pisda make a photo or something

Very nice dacha user

Attached: 9oms6l6z88e31.gif (1000x950, 1.23M)

How do I remove a stripped screw on the network card in an x220?

Sorry its at apt in in forest for few days. It looks like the screen is cracked but on the inside, it's almost as if ink is spilling or something when I turn it on.

buy a new one on aliexpress while you are at it get a better one (IPS). It's only 40 bucks

buy a screw extractor

get on of the 1080p mod boards and then you can probably get one easily

Attached: 6481832_p0.jpg (1000x1000, 238K)

Hi guys,
I'm retarded please help!
I use an older (2010) hp laptop to do schoolwork, browse Jow Forums, occasionally play vidya, and do other computer shit. For most of its life it has needed a cooling tray or it would risk shutting down because of overheating. I played vidya on it for much of its life. My main problems with it is that it overheats and as a result is loud because of the fans, furthermore it is kind of slow sometimes and doesn't have a very good battery life, isnt upgradeable.

I would like a computer that doesn't overheat when stressed, isn't too loud, is upgradeable, sturdy, and is preferably the most bang for my buck. Modern laptops fit some of my needs but are way too expensive for a bad product and tend to drastically slow down after 1 year and break easily etc. Thinkpads appeal to me because they are cheap, upgradeable, sturdy, reliable, ergonomic, have good customer support. I don't care about size or weight (i like my current laptop with a 15" monitor), and i am willing to spend a lot on upgrades (ssd, ram, cpu, gpu, screen, etc).

Now for my plea: Please help me, anons! I have never bought/built a computer before and can't code. What thinkpad should i get?

Attached: 1482274168062.png (382x379, 24K)

Replaced my T430 and T440 with a Yoga 260 and actually really like it.

Its light, slim (but not "muh .1mm less for no ports/upgradability" slim), fast enough, and durable.

just buy a tower if all you do is gaming

But do you have an Illya decal on your ThinkPad and a giant Illya decal on your car like the x61t fag?

i dont game at all anymore, mostly because its boiring but also because my laptop is slow, I also need a computer for schoolwork or maybe taking notes in class which would require a laptop

No but I have masturbated to her easily a hundred times