/pmp/ - Portable Media Players General

This thread is for the discussion of portable mp3/FLAC/OGG Vorbis players.
>inb4 phone
>inb4 streaming
Useful Guide(s)
• The General /pmp/ Guide pastebin.com/fe2LFFdV
• Converting an iPod video 5G/5.5G to a rockboxed player with an msata SSD and a 3000 mAh battery web.archive.org/web/20170708033500/http://nullvoid.station.moe/Freedom-Hardware/Video5G-Rockbox/
• Third party battery guide iflash.xyz/3rd-party-extended-battery-guide/ Guide for iPod 6G/7G needs adding/making
• Reminder to use Rockbox DEV builds when available.
• Use the SonyNWDestTool to remove the volume limiter/warnings on most of the Walkman series
rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool
• Please keep taking nice pics of your /pmp/'s so that they can be used as OP pics

• Archived Threads : rbt.asia/g/search/subject/pmp/

Attached: 1566788858316.jpg (2592x1944, 587K)

Bump

Just got an Activo CT10. Will post pictures after work. If you want something small but a little higher quality than an m0 or R3, its worth looking into.

PROS:
>Very nice screen
>Very good UI
>Decent build quality despite plastic
>Small size, about 2x larger than a m0

CONS:
>No lockscreen option
>Volume wheel feels somewhat flimsy, but looks like it could be replaced if it broke

How bad did I fuck up

Attached: r3.png (660x340, 53K)

For 160$ you can get a new Mi a1 (64gb + expandable storage) that can drive headphones up to 600ohms. Since it's a phone you will always have the option of using software equalizers, a decent headphone amp and you will be able to connect to the internet. If you care about privacy or botnets just turn your WiFi off and don't insert a simcard

That's a large device. The hiby r3 is tiny.

Bumping for detailed shots.

OK but it will be a while

Has any company made a replacement rear cover that wasn't made of metal for an ipod?

Attached: 6G_BCKCVR_160GB-2.jpg (405x500, 37K)

We are in the same boat fren

Attached: r3.png (901x496, 58K)

recently got the m3k and i Really wanna like it but it seems to have some random reboot issues + playlist issues and slight lag with switching tracks with album art. anyone else get these issues?

Attached: m3k_12.jpg (2041x2041, 1.55M)

I LOVE my Hiby R3, I’m just having issues with cover art not loading...

My 256gb samsung card is acting funny after a year so im doing a comprehensive test on it today. :/

I'm really happy with it after two days. I wanted something small like the Hiby R3, but without the annoying lag for album art. Summary of my thoughts...

>IPS screen is very good.
>Extremely good UI, super simple controls.
>Shell is hard plastic and seems indestructible. reminds me of a Nintendo DS. Not everyone likes plastic so beware.
>Volume wheel is somewhat flimsy.
>No lockscreen option, possibly a huge negative if you're a degenerate.
>Very fast loading of album art. No annoying pop-in. Can scroll through album art smoothly. This is a huge plus for me and the main reason I ruled out the competition (R3, M2x, etc)
>Doesn't have many customization options for appearance. The R3 lets you customize themes and colors and art displays, the Activo does not.

BOTTOM LINE: This is $100 more than the R3, and slightly larger, so only buy it if you really need better UI and fast loading of album art.

Attached: Activo_CT10a.jpg (3436x3016, 1.66M)

im autistic about cover art which is why i didn't get an r3. it's probably possible to fix the cover art loading by tagging with very small JPEGs, but that's a huge pain.

Attached: Activo_CT10b.jpg (3455x3467, 1.99M)

>not using your phone with a music subscription service

Attached: f883f9d.jpg (1080x1350, 239K)

>smartphones
>streaming

Attached: 1566768299039.png (496x456, 57K)

*Ahem* i have my own server i stream from zoomer and most of my 12" are not available anywhere

Attached: IMG_0220.jpg (4032x3024, 1.52M)

Got a friend. He would like a touch screen, bluetooth enabled MP3 player with SD card support. What are his options?

I also get my 12" downloads from DjPaulT

There are tons, he should be more specific about his needs (size, etc)

Size he doesn't give a fuck. Gotta' have Mass Storage capability so he can plug it into his smart TV and watch stuff or just listen. I've been out of the PMP loop since I bought my Cowon X9 so I really don't know what to specify? I'd really appreciate it if you could list some parameters and I'll reply what he'd like on his behalf, I have a general idea of what he wants.

Are you the user from a couple threads back who actually followed my recommendation?

Yep. I had 64gb samsung microsd card and it stopped working rather quickly. I hope sandisk one is going to be ok.

Yes, thank you. You made a good recommendation

Why not wait for the Hiby R5 around the corner..

How are people still falling for this shit in 2019. NEVER BUY THE CHEAP FIIOs!!! They have shit performance and absolute trashcan tier UI, and has always been for years. For under $200 your best DAPs are old iPod Classics, Shanlings, or Hiby. The only great DAP FIIO ever made was the M11 and that's $400.

I suggest browsing Head-Fi and see if there are any software updates. The chink FiiO representative have full shilling powers there and your issue would likely be heard.

Attached: reee.jpg (800x522, 30K)

Anons, recommend me some DAPs with a parametric eq. Some good cheap chink ones would work (especially if rockboxable).

Shanling m0 vs Fiio m5 ?

I would recommend following this advice. M0 is good and safe choice.

His smartphone

Can't use it where he's going, otherwise I'd tell him the same

>looking around ebay for parts to repair my old ipod (5g)
>broken HDD, dead battery, back scratched as all hell
>expect to spend ~$20
>end up at $50

Hmm... dunno if it's worth it.

Attached: 1566029092837.png (512x447, 216K)

Just buff out the scratches.

I have a 400G music library, whats the best solution to carrying that with me

It's also deformed.

Any media player that supports 512gb MicroSD cards. There are media players that support 2 microsd cards so you can get 1TB of space.

I'm pretty sure I've seen plastic ones on Ali Express before. I''ve actually been meaning to get one too

good choice, should've gone with a 400gb card or higher
900x900@96dpi or less is what i've found works for cover art, but it still misses a few here and there

i wont call the hiby r3 the best pmp, but it is great at that price point and miles beyond any rockboxed re-used player

Attached: hiby r3 kanas pro yinyoo pink floyd dogs.jpg (1029x1300, 427K)