Best software to clone a disk?

Hey guys, I need to make a full working copy of a hard drive, it's from a local college here and has all the data of the students and employees.
The thing is that the IT guy they had was a massive retard that programmed the databases in DOS (and fucking excel) and is forcing the main computer to remain in Windows XP. Not anymore, I developed a replacement but I need to import all the info. No problem with that.

The thing is that his software is extremely specific and won't work if too many things are different, he made his programs with unique generated serial codes and what not and we don't have the time to look into that and the guys refuses to support us.

I cannot take the computer, I need to create a perfect copy that will work regardless of the computer that is being used (I'm thinking on using a VM), what software would you recommend?

Attached: couldvillain.jpg (800x480, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fsarchiver.org/
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/disk2vhd
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it's a windows xp machine? then use odin if you have the privileges. you can also use clonezilla off a usb drive if you don't.

Yeah, I got the privileges, I'm gonna look into Odin, had bad experiences with clonezilla

dd if=/dev/drive of=drive.iso bs=64M status=progress

This.

cat

dd

You can use SuperDuper! if you need to make a bootable drive

This right here

DD (and DDrescue) has saved my ass many a times.

odin is great. you can back up the odin image to a usb stick while the xp machine is still running. if you have hiren's boot disk on that stick, then you just boot into hiren's on another pc, and restore the image to that pc via odin. continues to work after you remove the usb stick because hiren's mini xp can run purely from ram. i would do this a lot when i'd get called in to deploy a master image to computer rooms in schools. always worked like a charm. i miss the xp days.

dd

Boot from a live cd and use dd.
You can then turn that image into a vm.

Underrated

based retard

This

Macrium Reflect

>cloning a disk
>not cloning an entire pc

>Programmed the databases in DOS (and fucking excel)

Something tells me HE isn't the problem here.

What's the best way to do this to clone multiple drives (including an LVM setup) into just one drive?

Clonezilla fgt

Rsync, dd

fsarchiver: fsarchiver.org/

Is this perchance an Ingres database? I have an oddly specific skillset

This except if=/dev/null of=/dev/drive

This silly goose meant if=/dev/urandom

Maybe this could work
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/disk2vhd

Don't do this it produces mustard gas.

This one produces chlorine gas.

>tfw doing this produces a particular pattern of 1s and 0s that cause me to get v&.

just do
$ sudo dd if=/dev/sdxY of=backup.img bs=1M
to restore from backup
$ sudo dd if=backup.img of=/dev/sdxZ bs=1M