Is wine an emulator? My textbook says it is

>Mark Sobell- A practical guide to Linux commands
>>Linux supports programs, called emulators, that run code intended for other operating systems. By using emulators you can run some DOS, Windows, and Macintosh programs under Linux. For example, Wine is an open-source implementation of the Windows API that runs on top of the X Window System and UNIX/Linux.

Attached: wine is an emulator.png (775x102, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

unix.stackexchange.com/questions/100739/how-wine-is-not-an-emulator
wiki.winehq.org/Wine_Developer's_Guide/Architecture_Overview
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

does it matter?

i don't know

In the simplest terms, an emulator is software that emulates a real piece of hardware so some software written for this real hardware won't have to be re-written and can execute in a virtual emulation of that hardware and be none the wiser.

Wine is a drop-in replacement for the Windows API calls so windows software can execute in a linux environment.
There is some sandboxing involved so as to not confuse the software, but for the most part, it runs on the same host CPU without translating machine instructions, thus making it not an emulator.

>does an emulator emulate?
Brain dead post. Jow Forums is kill these days.

Sweet sweet OP, you should have checked with stack exchange instead: unix.stackexchange.com/questions/100739/how-wine-is-not-an-emulator

>program literally named Wine Is Not (an) Emulator
"is this an emulator?"
Emulation implies mimicking the way in which the original hardware ran the program, rather than just making the program run on alternate hardware.

you mean
>rather than just making the program run on a different operating system

dont quote me now but i think Wine is an open-source implementation of the Windows API that runs on top of the X Window System and UNIX/Linux.

WSL ~ WINE

are you calling Mark G. Sobell a liar?

is WINE a WINdows Emulator? Hmmmm...... Wine Is Not an Emulator is skiddos trying to steal an old hacker meme, like GNU is Not Unix, while GNU is just that, an open source reimplementation of the Unix core utilities.

That quote is stupid, but the stupid part has nothing to do with whether or not WINE is an emulator.
>Linux supports programs, called emulators, that run code intended for other operating systems.
This phrasing implies there's something special about Linux that makes it intended for emulation. It would be better to phrase it like: "There are programs available for linux called emulators"

tell me again how the WINdows Emulator is not an emulator?

from the website winehq.org

"Wine (originally an acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator") is a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications on several POSIX-compliant operating systems, such as Linux, macOS, & BSD. Instead of simulating internal Windows logic like a virtual machine or emulator, Wine translates Windows API calls into POSIX calls on-the-fly, eliminating the performance and memory penalties of other methods and allowing you to cleanly integrate Windows applications into your desktop."

>when nu-skiddos don't understand skiddo memes of retroactive acronyms.
the logic goes like this, faggot: "let's call our WINdows Emulator WINE is not an Emulator! won't that be clever?! Look we're just like RMS and the MIT hackers of old!

just like GNU stands for GNU's not unix

yes

>implying GNU is anything at all like UNIX

> Is Wine is Not an Emulator an emulator?
No, it translates system calls. There is no need to emulate the hardware because it's x86 code.

*gnu+linux

hey faggot, get this, it emulates the (wait for it... wait for it...) software!

>an emulator is software that emulates a real piece of hardware

Cool, a WINE thread
I have this issue: when i try to run games, they run at a very high speed, it's not even framerate, it's like they are fast fowarded. What can i do?

It adds support for running PE executables to Linux and provides a re-implementation of winapi. Ultimately i does emulate Windows execution environment so I think it is appropriate to call it an emulator.

Except it doesn't

when the shitposting gets meta

it does say
>instead of [...] like an emulator [...]
though
I agree the recursive acronym means beans

Under clock your CPU

here you go fa/g/s
>wiki.winehq.org/Wine_Developer's_Guide/Architecture_Overview
tl;dr Wine reimplements NTDLL, GDI, USER32 and KERNEL32 and ties them to POSIX calls
tl;dr2 its not an emulator

>No, it translates system calls.
Oh, so it's high level emulation, kinda like the IOS HLE that Dolphin does to translate Wii operating system calls to run on Windows and Linux? Or the Windows Subsystem for Linux?

it is an emulator is the dictionary definition of the word
however, calling it an emulator is confusing, because the word emulator in computers is typically used to describe a machine emulator (emulating hardware to run alien software on), wine is not a machine emulator, it doesn't emulate a pc to run windows on, but rather it emulates windows itself to create a windows-like userspace to run windows programs under

as for what it should be called
you could call it an implementation of windows apis, or a compatibility/translation layer
emulator, while technically not wrong, it confusing and generic, it doesn't really explain what wine is, and should be left as meaning machine emulator in the context of computing

yea, you could call it HLE
what wine does is it just provides implementations if windows os system calls and libraries
the program is run directly on the cpu as normal, wine just provides all the "talking to windows" bits the program expects, then translates that to calls the host os understands
sort of like a translator guiding a non-english speaking person through a building, rather than a whole new building inside that building

WINE is not an emulator because emulators actually work.

wine is extremely capable these days
heck, even valve uses it now, that should say something