Ok so, Windows machines can be really slow to become usable after boot. It'll boot, you can see a desktop...

Ok so, Windows machines can be really slow to become usable after boot. It'll boot, you can see a desktop, but you can't do anything until you wait five or ten minutes.

My question is: why the fuck? What is the computer actually doing that's locking it up? I look at the task manager during that period, and my computer doesn't look like it's doing anything at all. There's minimal CPU usage, minimal memory usage, minimal I/O, minimal disk activity, minimal everything. But there's gotta be SOMETHING going on because I can't fucking do anything.

Attached: faster-pc.jpg.optimal.jpg (640x360, 27K)

Starting services and shit. You must have a real piece of shit computer. Get an ssd dumby.

I've heard task manager isn't always the best indication of hardware usage % due to a quirk in how it measures it

If I had to guess I'd say Windows has something to do on startup and wants to get it done ASAP, so it puts most other tasks on hold until whatever it needs to do is done. Maybe driver initialization????

The number one cause of Windows being slow is old, slow hard drives.

Get a fucking SSD already. You can get a 120 gig one for like 20 bucks

not on my work laptop, i can't

Run HDDscan on your work hard drive using hirens

I have a 500gb 7200rpm hdd, and disabling defender/scheduled tasks makes it actually usable
Maybe a 40 seconds to fully start up but otherwise runs fine

so if services are the problem why doesn't that reflect in monitoring?

What do you mean? You just have a slow computer. Disable apps from starting during boot.

i don't think that's the issue. it's older, yes, but it's not slow. it's an i7 with 16 gigs of ram.

Then you have too much crap starting on boot.

My work just updated a computer to W10. Every time the thing reboots, it uses 100% of RAM, 100% of CPU, and 100% of disk read/write speeds for about 45 minutes.

yeah, people have said that in the thread. my question is, if there's so much stuff going on in the background that it makes the computer unusable, why doesn't that show on monitoring programs in some way?

Hidden services or rootkits.

it makes sense that a service could hide from a list of running programs or something, but you're saying it could use memory and CPU time without that showing up to the user, too?

It's the drive my dude. Slow read speed, bad random read speed.

Every OS does that. Some hide it behind a loading screen, like macOS (the desktop is already there but you still see a loading bar) or Linux that starts most of things turning boot time and the UI is one of the last things to load (but also has a splash screen available that hides loading in graphical programs to the desktop in the background while the splash screen in shown).
Literally depends on what you have on your system, anything from Windows to Linux can take less than a second to be usable or more if you have shitloads of crap to load.

These days it ain't that much of a problem, a 4+ core CPU made in the past few years plus even a SATA SSD will keep the machine responsive even at full load turning startup.

Attached: 1540885925132.jpg (727x480, 38K)

i know they all do it, my question is what's going on that makes it slow.

Disable superfetch. Or even better stop using windows you dumb faggot

Literally look at the first post.

Slow hdd, it needs to run through alot of your shit on your drive before it finds the programs you want to run
Get a ssd or purge unnecessary shit

Yes.

So your boss can splurge on getting top spec CPU and RAM, but he's too jewish to actually upgrade the one part that matters and decides to completely fuck over your productivity in favor of saving $30 on the device purchase bill?

i purchased the machine myself and i'm a graduate student, i don't have the money to splurge on a new laptop. i bought it refurb'd off ebay (T530)

Not him but why not spend a bit more and just buy an ssd already. They're really cheap nowadays.

i wanted a thinkpad and needed one fast to replace mine that had broken and didn't have enough money to buy the newer models where the ssd came standard and not as a cache booster for the HDD

why i haven't done it since, see: broke

>monitoring programs
can you be more specific you've said this 3 times with no progress in answering your question.

sysinternals process explorer is what i'm usually looking at

my problem's basically solved anyway i'm just curious now, i already went through and turned off the service startups i don't want anymore, i just want more information on the mechanics of how this all works.

That's because he's shilling macs, just wait and see...

I assumed it was provided by your employer based on the "work laptop" mention above. Anyway, there's absolutely no way to make your machine measurably faster that doesn't involve an SSD, so get on that ramen diet.

blehhh ok.

>U.S. employers expect their employees to own the computers with which they are forced to do their work
Kek, land of the free
>Inb4 "You haul sixteen tons and what do you get..."

most people in academia use a personally-owned laptop, in my experience, unless they need something REALLY beefy for a specific purpose.

for me i just need something that can access the campus compute clusters and run text editors and sequence viewers and web browsers

Guess what's wrong with academia then... ;^)

Don't they have a saying about owning the means of production?