What happened to the old internet? Why did everyone suddenly move to a handful of centralized websites?

What happened to the old internet? Why did everyone suddenly move to a handful of centralized websites?

Attached: 6a0112790d13b328a4013488103249970c-800wi.jpg (480x328, 22K)

smartphones allowed the general 90 IQ population access social media and they immediately got addicted to it

Attached: 5UQRq.jpg (400x178, 25K)

Wow, that was fast. Pack it in bros, we’re done here

Because they were ushered into it by big corporations.

MSN Messenger being killed off, the popularity of Facebook and Google filtering searches were all major players.

And when Stumbleupon, an important site whose sole raison d'etre was to help people find niche parts of the web, was killed off, it was barely noticed.

Happened way before smartphones, you zoomer fuck

>Stumbleupon
Damn, I forgot this even existed. That’s how babby found his first redpills.

Attached: 1565879167732.jpg (900x2002, 827K)

Are you actually trying to say the quality of the internet hasn't declined drastically since 2008? It wasn't great in 2008, but it was a far fucking cry better. There were earlier waves of normies, but nowhere near the phoneposter tsunami.

/thread

Old internet died way before smartphones. Something you'd know if you weren't a clueless zoomer.

Normies learned how to use the computer, and corporations.

>if I repeat my post I can ignore him
tryhard zoomer pretending to be an oldfag

All mature markets consolidate. Learn your economics 101. Oddly enough, critics of the Web in the early days predicted this future around the time of violawww - that singular points of control will emerge. Whereas earlier services like email, usenet or irc were all forcibly decentralized, thus difficult to consolidate/censor. Tim Berners Lee was grilled about this circa 95 (in the wake of death of compuserve) and he was more or less like "nah, next compuserve wont happen, trust me because I'm your greatest mountain jew alloy".

I had to repeat it because you clearly need things being said again but a little slower. You're talking about things being worse with smarphones but the question was about old internet. Nothing old about the internet when smarphones became a thing, old internet was long dead by then. So, again, get fucked clueless zoomer.

I guess that depends how far you want to go back for "old internet", which quickly becomes an autistic pissing contest. phpBB forums? AOL? BBS forums? University networks? ARPANET?

"Pre-smartphone" is as distinct a period as "pre-web".

But only a zoomer would think of something that recent as "old"

Right in the feels.

Pressing F for stumbleupon

Only a boomer who's life hasn't changed in 10 years wouldn't consider that to be a long time ago.

the transition to "a handful of centralized websites" was indeed caused by smartphones and started only in 2007-2008, see
read the entire OP instead of the first sentence next time

>so,again, get fucked clueless zoomer
yeah no telling people to "get fucked" sounds like someones balls hadn't dropped

^this user made sense and had a point and stated it

stop being a contrarian and looking for a fight. you shouldn't be on this website, you're living proof of how to shit the net went

Attached: 1499038421391.jpg (800x999, 132K)

The old internet was shit. Hundreds of thousands of losers making cringy personal sites that might link to something useful or interesting.

>that might link to something useful or interesting.
what's cringy about that?

Attached: shell eu stars.jpg (923x1231, 212K)