TILING WINDOW MANAGER SUCK

xahlee.info/linux/why_tiling_window_manager_sucks.html
Jow Forums won't admit this chink is right. Grow up.

Attached: 1563712226159.jpg (408x480, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xahlee.info/linux/why_tiling_window_manager_sucks.html
xahsl.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

tags only:
>have two windows in different tags on same area on screen
>show both tags
>can only see one window instantly
vs tags+tiling:
>windows automatically tile when showing both tags

>tried xmonad today for real.
>Currently, 1 hour into it.
>Tiling windows is unusable and inefficient.

Attached: only trash here.jpg (499x497, 82K)

That's a nice web design

I use i3 because it just works but I barely do any tiling.

Who cares about two clocks when you can have 4 keyboards, 3 mice, 2 towels and 0 respect for yourself

Attached: 1553334965632.jpg (1613x907, 201K)

Aye same, havnt bothered with DWM just so I can be in the KKK(Kool Kids Klub)

Tiling window managers (TWM) are similar to programmer languages: Use them if you find them useful. Otherwise, don't.
For my part, a tiling window allows me not to worry about window placement since any new window will be placed in the available space. Resizing, closing, full screening, moving windows around, etc. is always a shortcut away and the fact i3 uses Vim keybindings make this a lot easier and more intuitive. I haven't tried any other TWM so I cannot comment on them but i3 is pretty good for what it does. And even if you use a TWM you don't need to give all the benefits of a DE away. I first started with i3 (plus i3bar and other things for system information) but since I realized I could just replace Xfwm with i3, I've been using Xfce + i3 instead.

what are the towels for user?
cum? arm sweat?

i just use tilling wms with gaps because I just like how they look and I don't program either. I don't understand this idea about having a valid excuse to use something, or the efficiency meme. Just use what you like.

Attached: 1564168537379.jpg (348x767, 54K)

>tfw no big tiddy cow gf
existance is pain

>Penn Jilette
Hello sodomite.

I don't care, TWMs are superior on laptops by far

Palmrests.

>Palmrests.
no. c'mon, really. Why would you need towels that size for palmrests?

I like everything in full screen and i3wm taught me to use different desktops for different tasks (1 for browser, 2 for social media, 3 for emacs, 4 for file manager, etc)

I only use 2 windows per desktop and nothing else. To be honest, I build my i3 config on top of a Xubuntu installation.

They really do suck though. I find having quick positioning and sizing to be more important than auto tiling bullshit.

>xahlee.info/linux/why_tiling_window_manager_sucks.html

?????

Did he not use programs that are floaty messes on their own unique workspace? Cause thats litterally my workflow now, I spawn certain windows on certain workspaces.

dude has a whole domain devoted to second life.

xahsl.org/

xmonad sucks. notion is where it's been for all this time: tiling _and_ tabbed, with manual frame layouts just as you like 'em, and a floating mode for programs that don't benefit from a larger box.

this is basically
my autism > your autism

wasn't this the guy that used to sperg out on /prog/?

most of the time i just use 1 window per workspace, so any windows manager with workspaces works for me, used fluxbox for a long time, but tiling can be very nice for terminals and editors so currently using xmonad

some apps may work better floating which is also supported by most tiling WMs, but nothing that i'm using currently works better as a floating window

wtf is that my ex-friend Doug?

>quick positioning and sizing
i used to do that on fluxbox, just alt+leftclick+drag to position (anywhere on the window, and same but rightclick to resize.

but now for most of the applications i use full screen, and for terminals tiling is nicer than resizing and positioning, at least for me

>Jow Forums won't admit this chink^H^H^H^H^H chinese-american is right.
that's because Jow Forums is a cult

Attached: D_eyEL8UwAAGbgI.png (481x420, 158K)

>ex-friend
what happened? do you want to talk about it?

He got really weird and started hitting on me and saying that the government was after him
then he said he loved me and when I said I'm gay he was like it's ok I'll still love u
invited me to his place once for homemade wontons which I totally would've taken the opportunity (bc I'm a huge weeb) if not for the weird shit from before
really weird shit, and he's in my town, so I figured it's probably best to break relations before he kidnapped me or some shit
not to mention I was underage and he was like 30~40ish then all this happened

>not thinkpad
>appleshit
>gaming setup
end your life

Worse. Arm cum

thinkpad is alright, but not something to swear by
xah got the mac mini as a gift (free as in beer)
also, macOS is the superior operating system
the gaming mouse has a bunch of buttons that are mapped to important functions like window management, web browsing, emacs, etc.
>end your life
don't say that. it's not nice

I'm not clicking the link just to end up at some fags blog. I'm pretty comfortable with dwm and nobody will tell me otherwise. use what you're comfortable with because when it comes to DE's and WM's, you opinion won't make anyone change

Mine uses vim keys so I barely have to remember any keys.

good on you, matey
but wait a second, what made you choose dwm in the first place? was it perhaps the suckless "blog"? or some "blog" post here on 4channel?
you gotta be openminded, guy-o

I don't think I ever needed more than 4 windows open at the same time on the same workspace.

If you need any more than that you're probably doing something wrong.

You have been visited by Laura Dyatlov.

This thread is currently reading 34 replies (not great, not terrible).

Attached: Laura.jpg (1275x637, 107K)