You are using computers WRONG. Everytime I see one of you talking about le SSD meme, I cringe

You are using computers WRONG. Everytime I see one of you talking about le SSD meme, I cringe.

An operating system should not use the HDD or SSD. The root file system should be loaded IN RAM. We all have +8GB of RAM after all. Half the RAM should be used for the rootfs. Then, the HDD or SSD should be used for data AND ONLY DATA. This would make the system fly, since RAM is hundreds of times faster than any of your meme SSDs.

Then, when you shutdown, the system should store a snapshot of the rootfs on a small partition on the disk, and load it again when you turn it on.

td;dr: Use a ramdisk, faggot.

Attached: frogposting.jpg (630x630, 61K)

shut up retard

make me faggot

but RAM gets deleted when you turn off the gombutah

>then, when you shutdown, the system should store a snapshot of the rootfs

While I wouldn't say it's impossible it's hard to tell where to draw a line. Kernel in RAM? Sure. But ither things like text editor, Edge, whatever software was bundled with Windows or your distro? It might be too big, besides, it's not like you will use even half of it on daily basis.

True. Startup time on my c64 kills.

Wasn't kernal (at least partially) read for ROM anyway?

what if there is a sudden power outage or you have to hard reboot because of some dumb glitch ?

Attached: 1551859678028.jpg (3264x2448, 711K)

You could make the OS store a snapshot on the HDD every X minutes, like word processors do. That way a hard reboot would be safe.

Since user data would be stored in the disk anyway, you should not lose anything important. At worst, only the software you installed five minutes ago.

Also prefetch should do something similar, speed up start of most used applications by preloading them partially to RAM

caching already works better than this

No it doesn't. Ramdisks are like nigger dicks. Once you try one you never go back.

>since RAM is hundreds of times faster than any of your meme SSDs
I do not care about the difference between my program starting with 0.1s or 0.01s delay.
The OS is extremely light in resources usage, it basically makes no difference.

Also the idea itself is retarded, don't store things in volatile memory.

So every X minutes you want to sync up HDD and RAM, so instead of a very slight increase in loading time now your entire OS locks up every X minutes to sync it's entire file system.

and from where does the ram get the data?

What a stupid question, obviously it downloads the the latest version of the os on the fly at startup, duh

that'll be a great experience on my 9Mb/s connection

Hey faggot, my filesystem already caches pretty much everything.
Try not using a shit filesystem next time.

>falling for cheap bait

You don't need to sync the entire contents of memory, just what changed in the last X minutes. It would be painless and it would not affect loading times, it would just need some CPU cycles.

>implying my first post wasnt a shitpost

Supertard, you can use a RAM disk...
Don't ask, learn by yourself dumbass...

>It would be painless
Then there is no difference to just storing it on the HDD except a significant effort saved, make up your mind.

Nigger, are you retarded. Of course there would be a difference: Loading a file from RAM would be 200 times faster than loading it from the HDD.

Who cares if the system is doing a sync on the background every X minutes? The point is to make programs load faster.

>your entire OS locks up every X minutes to sync
Faggot who used Puppy Linux on Live mode for a while. That shit is absolutely infuriating and nobody should ever have to go through such level of torture. Please kill yourself, .

The entire system becomes unusable for 10-15 minutes, or you have to disable the automatic sync and reboot yourself every now and then if you don't want to risk it and lose your data.
It sucks balls and I don't ever want to go back there in my entire life, tyvm.

i didn't know you wanted to become a faggot, i think if you keep on being yourself you will get there soon, also >suck a dick

Attached: 1566091029678.jpg (638x676, 74K)