How botnet has ubuntu gotten these days?

How botnet has ubuntu gotten these days?

Should i just stick with xubuntu if I want a non-hobby linux desktop?

Attached: index.png (335x150, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-report/blob/master/README.md#user-content-data-being-sent-if-agreement-is-denied
askubuntu.com/questions/1027532/how-to-opt-out-of-system-information-reports/1030168#1030168
lwn.net/Articles/726902/
motd.ubuntu.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Who cares? Install Debian Testing with Xfce.

>How botnet has ubuntu gotten these days?
Less than ever. it collects nothing, unless you allow it.

This. Ubuntu is pretty good desu.

Other than the random pings it does on the background to amazon servers... ? Nothing... better stick to a non ubuntu OS my friend.

so did amazon pull a IBM on ubuntu or something?

unrelated I hate that ubuntu is the most popular Debian distro. it tries to be the most "up to date" "Debian" system.

Ubuntu removed the amazon "feature" like 4 or 5 years ago now, and it only ever affected the Unity DE. Why is your go-to xubuntu? There are a whole bunch of other flavors with different DEs, and the ubuntu minimal iso if you want to go with just a wm or something else. It's a very nice distro, which is why there's like a a hundred distros based on it. It's also basically just debian testing with extra testing and its own repos, which should remind you that debian is always a fine choice as well.

See:
P.S. Ubuntu is the most up-to-date and stable debian-based distribution available. It doesn't try to be that, it simply is that.

Use Fedora, it Just Werks

Attached: o9o81b6hrqj31.jpg (3024x4032, 1.08M)

that's brave user. I know a lot of people who eschew the gui, but you eschew even ascii representation

I humble myself at your feet

I do security, actually, so I run parrot and occasionally deb straight

Yeah. And installing ubuntu minimal is okay... but doesn’t stop the amazon server pings that happen occasionally...

I suspect telemetry is afoot. Could be wrong.

Put "how to remove ubuntu telemetry" into a search engine of your choice. While at the first view there's a checkbox you can uncheck to opt-out of telemetry, there's too many shit going on under the hood that would justify an Ubuntu installation. The Amazon thing is gone, but it's still not privacy friendly. You have still to deal with chatty connections.
Go with Debian.

Are you retarded or just using a deprecated ubuntu release? The amazon "feature" has been absent from the past 3 releases of ubuntu (at-least), and only affected Unity. Did you know that many major browsers ping amazon hosted servers for update information? Ubuntu flavors never had the problematic amazon "feature" either, so whatever's going on between your system and amazon hosted servers is either due to some browser you're using, or due to you using a severely outdated release of vanilla ubuntu with unity.

>ubuntu-report
- sends hardware informations
+ ubuntu-report -f send no
+ block access to metrics.ubuntu.com github.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-report/blob/master/README.md#user-content-data-being-sent-if-agreement-is-denied
askubuntu.com/questions/1027532/how-to-opt-out-of-system-information-reports/1030168#1030168
>popularity-contest
- sends software informations
+ apt purge popularity-contest
+ rm /etc/cron.daily/popularity-contest
>whoopsie
- can send crash reports
- connects to canonical servers at boot
+ apt purge whoopsie
>50-motd-news
- sends informations, receives motd news/ads
+ set ENABLED=0 in /etc/default/motd-news
lwn.net/Articles/726902/
>geoclue/geoip
- connects to canonical servers at boot
+ gsettings set com.ubuntu.geoip geoip-url ""
>lightdm
- pings uccs.landscape.canonical.com at login
+ set Servers= in /etc/remote-login-service.conf

Or just install Debian

Pray tell, how is ubuntu not privacy friendly? You can utilize gufw and iptables on it like every other distro. It ships with app armor. You can use rkhunter, chkboot, chkrootkit, and clam services on it, again, like every other distro. The installer allows for encrypted home out of the box as well. So please tell us all, what does ubuntu lack that makes it "not privacy friendly", when one can take advantage of the same tools to guard their privacy and security on it that they can use on any other distro.

Pick a distro developed by the community for the community and never deal with creepy surprises.

botnet or not, the ubuntu desktop is a steaming pile of shit these days, and the only thing it still has going for it is the community support

install fedora or debian if you want debian based distro

For starters, privacy friendly would be "opt-in" instead of "opt-out" telemetry.

Or instead of jumping through all of those unnecessary hoops:
sudo apt purge ubuntu-report popularity-contest whoopsie geoclue remote-login-service && rm /etc/cron.daily/popularity-contest

Some of which is unnecessary on the lightweight flavors because some of those packages aren't there anyway.

>motd is a problem
motd.ubuntu.com/
Wow. A different 2 or 3 line plaintext message every day.

stockholm syndrome

no. i have always used ubuntu flavors instead of vanilla ubuntu, and even if one wanted to use vanilla ubuntu, the extremely minor issue in discussion can be remedied in under 20 seconds.

Or just use a distro that doesn't come with shit you have to turn off.

granted, i see your point, and when it comes to boxes that i'm using as hobby / home servers or light entertainment / shitposting centers, i do prefer slackware and its derivatives (like porteus and salix). yet, ubuntu and its flavors have consistently been the best multipurpose and productivity distros for me. if you stay abreast of developments in the ubuntu world, you simply disable or remove the things you don't want, as with any other distro. i have always preferred the lightweight flavors anyway (for years xubuntu, and currently lubuntu because lxqt is finally mature and stable).

the issues brought up are relatively trivial though. with whoopsie enabled, crash reports are always optional and present you with the option to send or not send. whoopsie is disabled via 'sudo systemctl stop whoopsie && sudo systemctl disable whoopsie', or whoopsie can simply be apt purged; popularity-contest is only used for a rating system in software discovery applications and can be completely disabled via 'dpkg-reconfigure popularity-contest && rm /etc/cron.daily/popularity-contest', or again, simply apt purged; geoclue can be apt purged (and is not a default startup application on most flavors anyway).

further examples:
on lubuntu, xubuntu, and ubuntu mate, ubuntu-report is an optional choice that can be selected or not during install.

the uccs ping from remote-login-service was specific to flavors that use lightdm, meaning that lubuntu, kubuntu and some others have never had it OOTB (and AFAIK the issue is no longer present on flavors that do use lightdm).

the motd thing is a non-issue for the vast majority of people, and can still be disabled as you mentioned, via changing ENABLED=1 to ENABLED=0 in /etc/default/motd-news if one feels the need to.

You should already be using XFCE (or anything else really, but XFCE is the best) over Gnome anyways.

use Mint
the only linux distro for sane people

install gentoo

Debian, Ubuntu, Arch, Fedora / REHL / CentOS, OpenSUSE, or Gentoo.

Look up the benefits of each and stick with it. I personally use Debian on my work laptop and PopOS on my home desktop for gaymin

Mint is utterly pointless except for it being the only distro with cinnamon as the flagship DE. Otherwise it is essentially just ubuntu.

There are many other DEs, and two other major lightweight DEs (mate and lxqt). There are also WMs which are basically DEs as well (openbox, window maker, enlightenment, fvwm). Xfce is also now gtk3-based, and with mate having many of its components already ported to gtk3, lxqt is now the least resource-hungry of the three (it's literally a qt-based panel + openbox + qt software for default applications). Xfce is fine, but gnubes around here treat it like the end all be all of desktop environments, when that's just silly.

This guy gets it. The whole point of gentoo is to install gentoo, and when you're done with that, install it again.

This guy also gets it.

based and redpilled

Linux is a kernel.

I'm having a hard time seeing why telemetry to Amazon should make me want to give up the best hardware recoginition and LTS stability/practicality balance in the industry. I am a self-employed dev. I used to put up with Fedora releases chapping my balls on a 6 to 12 month basis. Ubuntu lets me have a solid LTS for as long as I need and has more than enough support that if I need a newer package, I can get it with little fuss.

The only distro I would rather use is Arch, but I couldn't be assed to bother keeping up with rolling on a production machine.

>industry
>production machine
get out

Did you know that Linux is also the term used to describe operating systems that use the Linux kernel?

Mint is for boomers that don't tinker with their system directories and only use their PC for web browsing

A common error, only useful for the millionaires at the Linux Foundation.

B8