Serenity OS

Can we talk about this project? It looks pretty good to me.

The guy uploads progress daily in a Temple OS kind of way, with craziness lowered a ton. It's been fun to follow its progress, and has solved my issue of wanting something like Terry's youtube channel (in the OS aspect).

Attached: serenity.png (3200x1800, 2.8M)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/SerenityOS/serenity/blob/master/Kernel/Devices/RandomDevice.cpp
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Can we talk about this project?

no btw guy looks dumb LMAO

I don't use software written by vampires

Oh well. I just tried to be nice.

Something I forgot to mention is that the OS boots on actual hardware, it's been pretty cool to see it grow over time. I wanted to talk about it here because I don't like youtube posting my account lol.

What's that and why the developer looks like a zombie?

I've seen the project and it looks interesting, though not interesting enough to go though the trouble of using it. If the dev is reading this I have suggestions. Remove the floating panel and bottom switcher and make a dock, or do Mac OS 9 style application switching via the top menu bar. Also make pre-built images that I can download, because I'm NOT compiling the entire OS myself. The OS should also target some kind of real hardware, no matter how limited. Make builds for a Raspberry Pi 3 or something, or make it work on old Core2 boxes.

Attached: 1566387150127.jpg (325x472, 26K)

>copy pasta from minix and 300 osdev threads
>built from scratch

c o p e

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-08-31 21-23-23.png (1600x900, 1.28M)

what should the developer look like instead? a fake cheerful faggot?

>the OS of choice for Voldemort

>what should the developer look like instead?
a cute anime girl

andreas is cool guy :thumbsup:

it’s a cool project but it really brings out the saltiness in people who believe they could do something similar but never do anything

Attached: 0B879939-6DAB-49BF-B764-7BE45D1A26E2.png (1440x1080, 1.36M)

stop shilling your shitty project fag

how do i compile it to an ISO?

>two (2) mostly empty bars and a dock
wow nice use of screen space

savage user

Attached: 1529160782772.gif (500x316, 966K)

>with craziness lowered a ton
Why should we care then?

Powder is finally able to be around electronics

Attached: a2lnfJBSFy2Txxft6JrHlGYofak.jpg (1920x1080, 63K)

Hi, I’m the author of this project.
I am building this for myself, based on what I personally like. I’m not interested in appealing to anyone else’s preferences.
Also, providing images would only attract nontechnical users (or people who lack the skill to make a meaningful contribution) and don’t want to deal with either of those groups.
I am indeed not a fake cheerful faggot, just a guy building a thing. :)

Attached: 3BD43063-578E-4276-B7AE-E85F844EAA12.jpg (3000x2250, 934K)

>:thumbsup:

Attached: bf1250d738f75bc29dfce23a6104e8716a049feead5e73d0fc76d32e2e719796.png (495x720, 358K)

that's because it's a glorified desktop environment. not that it's a bad thing or that there are a lot of people here who could do the same.

The traditional unix OS design is not appealing to me, but the amount of non-crappy work putted into it is stunning.

Anyway since andreas is lurking here: what went into decision on which NIC to implement? Obviously what QEMU provides, but then?
Also any experience with Virtio and what could it be used for? I've only seen it for memory-mapped communication on asymmetric multiprocessing, but something tells me the applications are larger, dunno if it's worth paying attention to it.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-09-01 09-42-26.png (550x355, 40K)

cute cat

What’s a “glorified desktop environment”?
Hi user. The e1000 was chosen because QEMU supports it. I just wanted to get something up and running so I could start building a network stack on top.
The RealTek 8139 was chosen because the guy working on booting on his desktop machine had one of those cards lying around at home.
Thanks, she’s my favorite. :)

>What’s a “glorified desktop environment”?
judging by your videos, you're building lfs with a gooey of your own.

not him, but it's not a linux distro

where can I download the ISO?

what ISO?

It’s not LFS. Everything is from scratch, kernel, libc, userland, graphics, etc. The desktop stuff takes up most of the video time because, well, desktops take a lot of work :)
There is no ISO. If you want to try it you have to build it yourself.

Attached: E9104C1D-2B6F-4D01-9CBE-FFE6E1C11A12.jpg (861x929, 258K)

is there a port of DOOM for it?

Attached: 1549908455940.jpg (1920x1080, 315K)

Not yet. There’s a port of SDL though, so porting some variant of DOOM probably wouldn’t be terribly difficult.

# ./run: qemu with user networking
$SERENITY_QEMU_BIN -s -m ${SERENITY_RAM_SIZE:-128} \
$SERENITY_EXTRA_QEMU_ARGS \
-soundhw pcspk \
-soundhw sb16

Any desire for AC'97 or Intel HDA?

Definitely both!

I'll try look into it. (aka that empty promise from anonymous person on the internet that you'll never heard from again)
I wished to explore sound stack more deeply anyway ever since I've seen OpenBSD's sndio. iirc 9front has drivers for both so it can't be that hard to copy, but the high-level arch and kerneluserspace and server interests me.

Nice CF-19s

dayum similar to a cat rescued a few years ago

Attached: kali.jpg (941x686, 94K)

team calico

Sounds cool user. You can find me on IRC if you end up looking into it and want to talk about it.

I went through the OpenBSD's implementation for AC'97 and noticed a large number of codec IDs, vendor IDs and enhancements. I think I'll just read specs today to make some sense of it, decide on smaller subset according to what QEMU provides and make it work without OS. Then I'll see.

oh no is she blind :O

How did you learn OS development?

that is tempting
how bad of an idea is it to make porting a game to a totally foreign os to someone who doesn't into programming?

Nah, just comfortable. :)
I learned most of the low-level stuff by working on an x86 PC emulator for many years. Interacting with operating systems from the “other side” taught me what they do and how they work.
For the high-level GUI stuff I learned from working on Qt and KDE for many years.
For general systems development I learned most of it from WebKit.
Contrary to popular misconceptions, you don’t need to learn “OS development” as a separate thing. It’s just programming (in a specific problem space)

You would probably find it very frustrating at first. If you are the persistent type, seeing it through would give you that nice warm feeling of making something work that didn’t work before.

Attached: 54C5CE46-F971-4606-8BC6-18C53F59F431.jpg (500x678, 89K)

I'll make the logo

>want to contribute
>it's in C++
still really cool though. i'd love to extend the piano and make a DAW (tracker style obviously, 90s af)
also commute talks are comfy. wish they were longer

it sounds like fun, i'd be a bit disappointed if i only had to edit a makefile, but at the same time, i don't really want to have to read half the documentation of serenity to get something to happen either

ps. any reason why it only tries to use qemu-system-i386? it boot up fine if i edit run.sh to use qemu-system-x86_64 instead (on arch, getting i386 on an amd64 host means installing a bunch of extra archs as well)

Attached: 2019-09-01-195513_1030x820_scrot.png (1030x820, 420K)

It’d be super cool to turn it into a tracker or DAW. I loved FT2 growing up.
Glad you like the commute talks. I would make them longer but I don’t want to drive to work all day long..
It just uses the i386 qemu because it’s a 32-bit OS. No other reason really.

Fuck off Anders

rude

I’m not the OP, but since I’m in this thread and you almost got my name right let me respond:
no u

Attached: A2F41E86-78E9-4355-8800-34DACC511D43.jpg (720x540, 45K)

noticed the form builder, would be neat and aesthetically-appropriate to have a DOOM95 launcher as well
bummer the form builder doesn't seem to work right for me
clicking on 'edit' locks the OS up, and the save button does nothing
also there's no combo box widget (is that a deliberate design choice?)

Attached: 2019-09-01-210245_1542x496_scrot.png (1542x496, 236K)

The save button always saves to a hard-codes filename in /tmp (I didn’t have a save dialog when implementing save and haven’t gone back there to add support for it yet.)
There is a combo box but it’s not exposed in VisualBuilder because it’s a complex control that requires a data model and I don’t have any support for models in the form designer yet.
I don’t know which Edit you are clicking on to lock up the OS but that sounds like a bug :)

It's ruder to constantly shill your own long-term NEET pet project in order to get attention and more stars.

The save button always saves to a hard-codes filename in /tmp (I didn’t have a save dialog when implementing save and haven’t gone back there to add support for it yet.)
There is a combo box but it’s not exposed in VisualBuilder because it’s a complex control that requires a data model and I don’t have any support for models in the form designer yet.
ah yea, fair enough
>I don’t know which Edit you are clicking on to lock up the OS but that sounds like a bug :)
this one, clicked it a couple times and it consistently just stops the whole system, cursor and all (not that it feels like it's a hardware cursor anyway)

Attached: a.png (269x79, 21K)

>more Jow Forums than 99.99% of Jow Forums threads
>wants it gone
na m8, i want you gone

>unemployed mentally ill autist that's spent years petting on his x86 OS
Yeah, sounds like Jow Forums alright.

I'm not the one making threads about it. I'm also not a NEET, and the attention I get from Jow Forums is majority unpleasant.
Also
>stars

Whoops, I pushed a fix for that Edit menu. It was locking up the window server because it didn't know how to deal with an empty menu. (There wasn't actually anything in the menu.)
Thanks for letting me know :)
I'm actually employed and the OS is not 1 year old yet. I'll accept "mentally ill" and "autist" though.

Attached: 1565455488702.jpg (831x639, 106K)

I love the chonky toughbook

you can't just advertise your os without providing a downloadable demo
go create an official stable version

If you really didn't care, you wouldn't literally trawl Jow Forums for even the slightest mention. I see you in every thread, day and night. You're swedish, but I even see you responding 3-4 in the morning in the middle of the week. If you really didn't care, you wouldn't bother responding. Even know, some shitpost that didn't get your name right.... you had to respond, like it is some obsession you have. You're worse than that guy who made Braid and did nothing for a year other than shitpost when people bitched about his game on forums.

>Thanks for letting me know :)
heh, all good
first one is me, not who made it
the OS is clearly still a bit too fresh to call it stable, and it doesn't have an installer or live system (afaik), so there's nothing to make an iso out of
i suppose he could provide a VM disk image or something, but then.. what wouldn't you even do with it if you can't edit/compile anything for it?
it took me only a few minutes to build it using the instructions provided

>what wouldn't you even do
would*

Of course I can. It's not an OS for people who can't follow simple build instructions. I'm not saying that to be dismissive, it's just too early in the lifecycle for non-technical users.
Of course I care. It's my pet project after all :) I'm lurking Jow Forums every day anyway so of course I'll notice if there's a thread about it. And of course I'm obsessive, duh. How do you think I'm able to make all this stuff?

How is this guy so productive with this project? How much work does he put into it daily? It's come a long way and it's only one year old.

-- also, how else do you get up-to-the-second changes?

only downloaded the thing a couple hours ago and i've already gotten something fixed

Attached: 2019-09-01-215224_426x257_scrot.png (426x257, 49K)

nice

Contrary to his claims, he's unemployed and living off the Swedish welfare system. If you look up his name on Google, it appears that the last time he did any work was back in 2013/2014. If you work on things like this and have nothing else to do, you can do miracles. Just look at Terry, he was literally schizophrenic but still managed to make TempleOS.

>-- also, how else do you get up-to-the-second changes?
provide daily automatic iso builds
solved

>mfw this thread is full of hideous pasty fat neckbear faggots, hugless/kissless virgins, and skinny little queers that dress up in girl's socks because they think it makes them better at programming
>mfw these same fagbiscuits are whining about an OS dev being ugly.

*Ring ring*
"Hello?"
"Yes, kettle? This is pot. You're a nigger."
*Click*

Attached: laughing_chad.jpg (400x400, 27K)

Friendly reminder that making an OS is not hard work if you already know how OSes work. Terry managed to make an OS despite suffering from crippling schizophrenia. It is a time-consuming task, but all the groundwork has been done already and there are plenty of good resources out there like the OSDev wiki and forums.

No need to get upset, Andreas. Just remove your name and image from your github if you don't want comments like that. Otherwise, just deal with it.

It boots on real hw now?

>what is fullscreen

he fixed that 30 minutes ago
and you still won't have a built environment to do anything with the OS

I assume that's the developers name? I haven't even heard of this OS before this thread, I just found it entertaining that some of the most hideous fucking C.H.U.D. looking motherfuckers on the internet would make fun of someone's looks. If you're gonna mock the dude, try doing it about something where you're in less of a glass house. Like does he actually fucking use GITHUB?! What kind of fucking mong creates an OS then distributes it through a service owned by Microsoft?

I usually do about 4 hours daily. A tiny bit in the morning, some on work breaks, and the majority at night.
On weekends a lot more unless I have to do something.
I know right. Big shocker: OS developer doesn't look like Joe Hollywood :)
You're not wrong at all. The technical details are not very complex individually. Making everything come together takes a fair amount of coordination though. Anyone with 10+ years serious programming experience should be able to do it.
Yes, it has booted on a total of 2 machines so far! So it's very early still, but nice progress nonetheless.
That's a fair criticism. I use GitHub because it's practical, I don't care about politics one way or the other.

Attached: download (1).png (596x596, 206K)

is andreas the same andreas as the one on prismata leaderboard?

Even reactos uses github.

Serenity on Haiku

Attached: screenshot322.png (1920x1200, 971K)

That surprises me. I'd imagine they'd want to move their shit somewhere else fast after Microsoft bought github. All it would take is for reactOS to make some major breakthrough in terms of stability and usability, and Microsoft would slide some tiny little line about anything uploaded to github is their property or some bullshit after changing the TOS to say "these terms may change without notice" and making every user re-agree to the TOS.

>partz
Forgot you're on a qwertz layout?

The source files (*.cpp, *.h) in the serenity repo are at 98k LoC currently
Oldest commit is from october 2018, and at that point the project was at 9k LoC
That's ~90k LoC in 11 months which is about 270 LoC per day
I've skimmed some source files and his style seems clean and definitely not overly verbose

That's insanely above industry expectations and I've never achieved similar rates even when I was unemployed and working on my own hobby projects

This is making me feel jealous and insecure about my own capabilities

very cute

That would be pretty much suicide. MS is not stupid.

>another bald/balding guy writes an OS just for the hell of it
>meanwhile kode artisans with unspecified gender are struggling with fizzbuzz in node.js

Attached: 1421185670093.jpg (800x663, 79K)

As I said earlier, he was unemployed for a very long time (and some people here say he still is, but he disputes this so I dunno). I'd just want to comment that it is also likely that he didn't start the repo at the same time, you have to look at the initial commits and how many LoCs there were then. Anyway, 270 per day isn't that much if you look at it rationally. Let's round it up to a year, that's 52 weekends. Lets say he programmed straight fridays, saturdays and sundays, that's 156 working days. He'd have to write around 577 lines of codes each of those days. I've had weeks where I churn out absolutely no code at all, and I've had weeks where I can churn out 7k+ lines of codes. If you have the dedication and drive, it's certainly possible.

>I've had weeks where I churn out absolutely no code at all, and I've had weeks where I can churn out 7k+ lines of codes
That's common, it's the fact that he maintained such a good daily average over a long period that I find really impressive.

Well, as you said: Almost 10% of the project was already done by the first commit.
If he was unemployed for 1 year doing that project, what else would he be doing. Out of 47 weeks or whatever of those 11 months, he would only need to have 12 weeks where he churned out 7k lines of code that week and could do absolutely fuck all the rest of the time. That would make him productive 25% of the time and unproductive 75% of the time, which is roughly what I would expect from an average programmer.

We should really look into the repo's statistics for when he was committed or not.

What the fuck happened here? Amphetamines?

Attached: Screenshot 2019-09-01 at 14.58.07.png (1562x1078, 136K)

He's not the only contributor either. There are two other contributors with >100 commits.

bruh

Yes, I am quite fast and obsessive. I've been doing this for many years both professionally and as my main hobby.
I don't remember what that was. Probably git can tell you somehow. I don't do drugs anymore.

impressive
what hw is supported atm?

>don't remember what that was. Probably git can tell you somehow.
Looks like you added some binary files that day.

Not a lot:
>CPU
Any Intel CPU with SSE support
>Video
Any video card that supports VESA graphics modes basically. (There's no acceleration whatsoever)
>Storage
IDE/PATA hard drives
>Network
Intel e1000, RealTek 8139
>Sound
SoundBlaster 16

Why do you want him to go? You're mentally ill.

github.com/SerenityOS/serenity/blob/master/Kernel/Devices/RandomDevice.cpp
have you considered RDRAND instruction? or at least removing that modulo bias from ::read() ?

I don't want him to go, where did you get that impression? I'm just pointing out that he's lying to himself if he is saying that he doesn't want the attention from Jow Forums, especially when the archives show that he actually posts this project quite often, in /dpt/ and other threads.