I'm gonna make videogames using only FOSS software

I'm gonna make videogames using only FOSS software.

:)

(Godot, blender, GIMP, Krita, aseprite, lmms, audacity, inkscape).

Attached: 1567348056280.jpg (1284x748, 92K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/LibreSprite/LibreSprite
github.com/ca3games/Godot
dev.aseprite.org/2016/09/01/new-source-code-license/
opensource.org/osd
libregamewiki.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>aseprite
not foss

open source.

FOSS also mean open source.

Cris fucking stay in your containment thread

coscos2d is probably good for a game like that.

are you going to make your videogame FOSS?

is on github already.

It's not open source either.

that's good user, I think I might do that in a couple years

my games are GPL and creative commons.

github link?

Not your games I mean aesprite. Use this one github.com/LibreSprite/LibreSprite

github.com/ca3games/Godot

you can still compile aseprite for free.

Great remember to also open source everything including all assets so I can get your game for free, or else you are literally raping me.

That doesn't mean it's open source

>game is not open source
>is on github
???

Just because it's on github doesn't mean it's open source. The Aesprite license is non free and non open source

If you can compile a fully functional counterpart of the binary release of Aesprite, it's open source.

It was open source software but the dev got tired of FOSS autism.

You can still use a software if it runs on linux, unless you're a religious fanatic FOSS tard.

No, that is not what open source means.

Nothing more, nothing less. Or else, why?

Since you seem to think nothing I'm doing as a "religious fanatic FOSS tard" is important then why doesn't he change the license back to GPL?
It doesn't matter if the source is out there if you're restricted from doing things with it

because after a while you realize FOSS religion is like veganism.

>avoiding being sued for sending a modified version of the program to your friend is the same as veganism
No

>if you're restricted from doing things with it
Why would that be a prerequisite for open source? It's a prerequisite for some arbitrary freedoms someone listed somewhere. The point was to audit the code and run or modify it on your machine however you want for whatever purpose (within the law). And you can do that with aesprite. Or do you want to profit off other people's work for free?

FOSS is a religion.

he explains there why he moved away from FOSS veganism.

>being sued for sending a modified version of the program to your friend
When has that ever happened?

opensource.org/osd
Aseprite forbids redistribution, it's not open source
Yes I've read that. His new license gives him the ability to sue me for sending a modified version to my friend. I don't want to be sued by that dev so I won't use it. How is that veganism exactly?
If he doesn't intend to do that then why doesn't he change the license back?

why do u want to edit his software?

just compile it and use it on linux.

>but I need to follow my FOSS vegan religion rules
no, fuck off.

>forbids redistribution
Good, no malicious binaries or unaudited modified code running around. Just the original. Unless you are part of the development team, you're not officially qualified enough to handle the codebase.
>why doesn't he
Because this license does everything normally functioning unalterior adults want. He cannot legally find out you shared copies with friends. And why would you, anyway? To give them viruses?

I don't suppose you have been doing digital art for very long but it pays in the long term to make modifications to things for your own specific workflow
>not wanting to be sued is following a religion
No, you fuck off
If he really can't find out then he can admit it doesn't matter and change the license back.
>muh malicious binaries
>not qualified
You literally do not understand anything about open source

why do u want to modify aseprite?

It's literally perfect for pixel art?

>but I need to modify his software, I really need to steal his work
no, fuck off with your vegan BS rules.

you can use his work on linux, that's what matters, not FOSS autism.

looks like shit

>he can admit it doesn't matter
He can find out when you publish a repo like "Aesprite without bloat" which defaces the original product.
>and change
His codebase, his rules. If you don't like it, you can write your own gpl alternative.
>do not understand
I literally do, it's right there in the license. You're allowed to run viruses and redistribute viruses. Or are you going to personally pay money for code reviews?
Look at firefox, amazing browser, almost perfect. Some autistic cucks made a fork that's 10 years behind and single-threaded, and doesn't support modern extensions. And he has the nerve (and the right) to claim it's a better product. What a joke, that should be illegal (and it is in better licenses).

It isn't perfect, get the fuck off my board you shill.
>not wanting to be sued is vegan BS
You keep saying this and you just look more and more retarded.
You are the one pushing me to violate the license, I won't do that because I don't want to be sued, and plus I respect his terms even if I don't agree with them. I can handle any code review myself so I am not worried about viruses. Meanwhile under the official Aseprite license, the dev could be distributing malware and DRM in the binaries, and because of the license restrictions you legally would not be allowed to send your own build to your friend with the bullshit removed.

>I can handle any code review myself
Oh you are that good? That slick? You can do what companies get paid tens of thousands to do yourself? Not believing it.
>could be distributing
You can literally go to the github issues and say which lines have viruses, and cease using the product until it is fixed.
>DRM
His right to put DRM.

>get sued
why the fuck would you get sued unless you autistically steal his code and edit it?

>oh no, my vegan rules about free software
why do retards follow FOSS as a religion?

literally the vegans of software.

Attached: 1521477147697.jpg (618x597, 144K)

There are no companies paying tens of thousands, this is a program made by an autistic NEET in his parents basement in argentina. If he put viruses and DRM in there on purpose then he won't remove them just because of some github issue.
Editing his code isn't stealing, it's adding my code on to his.
>not wanting to be sued is a religion
You keep saying this and you just look more and more retarded.

why do u want to hack his software?

what features does aseprite lack for pixel art?

>There are no companies
Professional software auditing companies. Look them up if you didn't know this was a thing.
>he won't remove them
Aw jeez what a bummer. You can go use some other software that has no viruses.

I won't be answering those questions because it's not important, I don't owe you an explanation of my use case.
But I already don't use the software because it's non free and non open source. And yes I can do the job of an auditing company, you seem to be implying I don't already work for one of those.

tell me why I should use aseprite on linux if I compile it beyond muh vegan software rules?

shound't

>I already don't use
Then you have no legitimate opinion on the software. Maybe the license but that's tangental at best.
>I don't already work
You don't.

I already explained that a bunch of times, it's not open source

again, not a proper argument why I can't use it?

>but is not vegan food
>you can't eat meat
again, vegan rules.

Because you said you're making a game using only FOSS software? It's not FOSS.

I'm a vegetarian.

Oh, no, I eat a bit of meat, It's not 100% vegan.

The arguments were already mentioned several times in this thread. Go read it again if you don't understand. By the way some vegans don't eat meat because they are allergic to it.

It follows 2 of 4 of the popular software freedoms. They are not standardised, someone wrote them somewhere. FOSS does not mean "FSF-approved". For all intents and purposes, this is open source.

If you eat meat only on tuesdays then sorry but you aren't a vegetarian.

"Open source" is a phrase popularized by the OSI that has a specific definition. It's not some generic term, the only reason we use it is because they pushed it. By their definition it isn't open source nor is it free software.

Not my fault I can't use the software because the license is unacceptable.
>You don't work
Haha you got me dude, epic! How will I recover from this BTFO?

>the OSI
Arbitrary third party.
>the only reason we use it
Open Source is a loose term, it is not set in stone. The only way software freedoms are set in stone is via licenses, everything else is arbitrary. Aesprite's license clearly states its code is open to the public, so it is open source. Of course.
>Not my fault
It is quite literally your conscious decision not to use this software, and mindlessly deface the entire codebase because of the license itself.
You represent the OSI and the FSF, and your actions set stereotypes. The stereotype you set today is OSI and FSF are full of self-absorbed, egocentric malcontents. Which has been true for 30 years now.

>I can't use a perfect tool that works fine on linux because It doesn't follow my vegan religion

Attached: 1520455231828.jpg (250x247, 8K)

Nonfree license means it's not free. How fucking difficult do you need to make something that's so damn simple?

use krita for sprites. Just use the pixel art brushes and a small resolution canvas

Of course it's free, you can go and download it.
Or do you mean it's not "free as per this particular third party's definitions"? Face it, third parties have no right to complain and they have no right to act as regulators.

I don't have anything more to say to you because your intent is to redefine "open source" to fit whatever your argument is. Microsoft and other proprietary companies tried these tricks in the 90s. They dumped code on the public under licenses that basically said "you can look but not much else", much like Aseprite uses. They tried to call it open source. People didn't buy it then. There is always going to be a need to modify the software and send it to your friends. You will continue to confuse the meaning of it for this and that purpose all while ignoring WHY the definition exists in the first place.

You can make up your own definition of software freedom all you want, but we don't have to agree with you.
The license very clearly has some restrictions on what you can do with the code, so it's non free. I don't know why you are arguing this.

shut the fuck up commie.

capitalism is great.

gpl it

You are the commie. I actually dislike Aseprite license specifically because it doesn't allow me to sell my modifications for money.

>redefine
Aesprite's developer has the exclusive ownership over his codebase, and the meaning of 'open source' in his code, which his codebase lives up to.
>modify the software
Why don't you go and modify me some nouveau drivers to match proprietary performance?
>WHY the definition exists
It's not a trademark, it's not a patent, it's just a term that random people can redefine at will. IN fact, you personally don't have the authority to standardise such terminology.
>non free
You can do everything the license says and not break any laws. It's free software (under the license). Or are you wishing it were *gpl*? In that case, it would supply you with the FSF's definition of freedom.

GPL, Apache2, BSD, MIT, public domain, it doesn't matter, any would be better. The license he has now is non free. I don't wish him to do anything, it's his software and he can do what he wants

>Why don't you go and modify me some nouveau drivers
Okay, buy me the nvidia card, a new desktop to test it in, and pay me for my time.
>IN fact, you personally don't have the authority to standardise such terminology.
Neither do you. I really don't care what you or him thinks the definition of open source is. It's not open source and you will not convince anyone that it is. Get over it.

It's free because it gives you a non-zero range of freedom with it, clearly stated in the license. I still cannot see what the problem is. And I should know, I have several android apps with trackers and ads paying me rent. I consulted a lawyer and a psychologist about making EULAs that are so fucked up, you can't read and understand them. Hey if people agree to it, it's fine, they can always sit down and make their own software.
Just like Linux developers can sit down and make nvidia drivers.

>buy
>pay
Nowhere in the license are you entitled to such. However, the license gives you so many rights, it would be a shame not to make use of them. It would even be amoral, you would be putting the license to waste.
>It's not open source
It literally is, you can see the whole thing.
>not convince
The license is right there, my only assumption is that "libre" enthusiasts can read. Please don't disappoint me in that.

You suffer in your own prison you made from your botnet apps. You suffer so hard that you can't even see what freedom actually is. I'll bet you use a fuckload of open source libraries in those apps too and you don't see why you are a hypocrite.

That's source-available not open source software

You're right, the license doesn't entitle me to payment, and it doesn't entitle you to get working code. If you want me to do something, you have to pay me. Funny how that works.
> you can see the whole thing.
And yet if I make modifications to it, my friends are not allowed to see those modifications as per the license. So no it isn't open source sorry. Are you sure YOU can read?

>You suffer
No, I make my due wage from my sweat. I would not be making money were these apps under bsd, without ads, trackers, etc, with all the rainbows and birds singing.
>source-available
Say it in esperanto.
>you want me to do something, you have to pay me
I can just pay microsoft for full hardware support and a suite of features linux will never support (license incompatibility). So the crappy license didn't even benefit me. Maybe someone has audited linux so my audio drivers guaranteed have no viruses. Well, I can't find any such analyses. Too bad, your licenses are objectively worthless.
>my friends are not allowed to see
Why would they?
>hey check this cool mod out dude input your credit card numbers to increase the gamma LOL

I really don't care how you make money user. Delete all your apps and go be like Terry and live in a van, it would be healthy for you.

Go profit off poor suckers' works you chink wiseguy.

Ironic coming from the guy trying to justify his botnet apps to me

There is nothing to justify if everyone agrees to the legally binding EULA.

I'm not surprised you're a microsoft shill seeing as how you've been using microsoft shill tactics this entire time. Believe it or not there are many in this world whose needs are not met by the unholy trinity of microsoft, google and nvidia.
>Why would they?
Why should I even bother using the software?
>hey check out this cool app dude it allows you to draw epic old skool retro vidya game characters with PIXELS so retro and old fashioned just like minecraft mirite desu? ^_^

>needs are not met
Jee whiz that's a bummerino.
>bother
You shouldn't, you would only be a scourge on the forums and misrepresent it. You don't 'get' other people and their needs, so stop trying to force a harmful license. It's enough that the default github license is a gpl.

Oh I understand perfectly. Some like yourself are not comfortable having freedom. You need to be in a botnet prison of your own making in order to feel safe.

I don't do anything suspicious with my computers. I didn't have a troubled, bullied childhood. I do have a pet and a girlfriend. I do not take out all my frustration and lack of control on other people, I just go for a walk or fuck my girlfriend raw. Literally ejaculate inside her two or three times and put a pill in her big mouth.

Cool blog post bro

>FOSS software
>free open source software software

Nice list, but ditch GIMP. seriously

Yes, use Glimpse instead.

No just use Krita, its has the same use for graphic editing

But even more buggy and with less features than GIMP.

>Using the term "free" as gratis
No. The Free in FOSS is in the libre sense. As in freely licensedto use, copy, study, and change the software in any way, if you don't like the "third party" definition, then don't use their terms. Also you're talking in circles, mate. You say that third parties should have no right to complain, yet you yourself specifically mentioned the four freedoms, which is something the FSF laid out in 1986.

Face it, you fucked up in calling it FOSS. It isn't. It's open source, yes, but NOT free as the code is NOT released under a free license.

This literally sounds like Reddit tier "iamsocool" or "ijusthadsex" or whatever the subreddit things are

great! world needs another minesweeper.

Awesome my dude, welcome to the club. Don't forget to make it completely libre too.

libregamewiki.org

Foss also means free. If it's open source doesn't necessarily mean it's foss.

Those are all great tools.

By your logic, UE is also FOSS