Are MacBooks really that bad? What do you hate about them? What do you like about them?

Are MacBooks really that bad? What do you hate about them? What do you like about them?

-Posted from my MacBook Pro

Attached: mbp15touch-space-select-201807.jpg (1808x1680, 281K)

Other urls found in this thread:

macrumors.com/2019/08/13/macbook-pro-2015-flight-ban-united-states/
neverware.com/freedownload
youtu.be/DB6UWGeNePk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

dont know
cant afford one

You can buy a decent MacBook Pro for $400 or so.

>But I want a 2019 model

Buy preowned if you want a discount then. Unfortunately Macs hold their value too well for them to drop in price as quickly as Windows machines do.

-Sent from my iPhone

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 3.09M)

theyre pretty awesome but most of Jow Forums are poor uni dropouts so expect a lot of sour grapes
>t. middle manager for a fortune 500 that got issued a MPB

Attached: 1557625454518.jpg (1200x849, 97K)

They're -literally- bombs that violently detonate into a fireball of aluminium shrapnel. Just ask the FAA.

Attached: 1542768822623.webm (582x698, 2.72M)

>ask the FAA
im not a nigger (american) so no thanks. works for me. wont fix. there's thousands of them in our corporate HQ since every single person from the engineering staff to HR asks for a MPB not a memepad. never an issue.

They got pretty boring and haven't got their design refreshed since 2016 and only remain the best laptops because everyone else is completely inept. Though to be fair, Intel stagnating also bit them in the ass.

They are alright

Attached: 20190831_184603.jpg (4032x3024, 2.81M)

They'd be good normie products if they didn't charge $1000+ for something I could get for less than $150

Attached: 1565795271070.png (724x920, 123K)

>t. below the poverty line

best screen and design on a laptop

too many issues for the price though, like all recently released macbooks had issues

Find me a laptop with the same battery life, screen, internals, and trackpad quality for 150 dollars

this

less than 150dollars user, less than. he can get that for less than 150 dollars. just wait. im sure he'll post an example that isn't wildly out of specs :)

If you're going to pay a premium for build quality, you'd think they would have good build quality.

Any recent laptop with a perma throttled cpu will have that battery life. Which, curiously, is how Apple does it.

wtf I love apple now

>Are MacBooks really that bad?
Pretty much, maybe except the 2015 MacBook Pro 13, but Apple's repair policy ruins that

>What do you hate about them?
Lack of repairability, soldered everything, Apple, lack of ports, faulty hardware, price compared to what you get, lack of touch

>What do you like about them?
Design, Screens, Speakers

>be me
>had a 2015 macbook pro
>jumped in a taxi
>craaaack .
>oh shit
>had a 2016 macpro I stole from a DJ
>died even if used as a desktop
>had a 2018 mac air
>died even if used inside for airplay
400$ latitudes/probooks/pavillions are what the 30yo boomer need

Attached: 10155642_10204314995811704_7521554203019867533_n.jpg (228x219, 9K)

They keyboard sucks, but overall it is a very nice computer. I know I will get attacked for this, but I switched from PC years and years ago and have not looked back.

I will admit I am tempted by trying Linux again on a laptop. But I don't feel like fucking around with it when it inevitably fails in some obscure way after an upgrade :(

I really really wish some massive company would put billions into polishing up Linux.

The 2015 models are ones that spontaneously keep turning into hand grenades.

But just the 15 Inch, afaik

The 13 inchers even moreso because it turns out to save space they put the already volatile lithium batteries inside ziplock bags.

All Info I could find was about the 15 Inch. Do you have Sources?

Ask the FAA.

macrumors.com/2019/08/13/macbook-pro-2015-flight-ban-united-states/
15 Inch only

No you can lol

Instead of a MacBook Air you should get:

>Surface Laptop
>Pixelbook
>XPS 13

Instead of MacBook Pro you should get:

>Razer Blade
>Aero 15
>X1 Carbon

Dell Latitudes and Inspiron 13 7000 too.

I use one for work and the keyboard is that bad, and it gets hot, but otherwise it's fine

Razer blades are so expensive the make macbook pros look reasonable

You realize they are just as expensive if not cheaper for more right

I got my 1060 version with 144hz screen for $2,400.
That's equivalent to the DISCOUNTED i9 MacBook. Which has a 60hz screen, a worse GPU, worse I/O, worse thermals, worse keyboard, and an arguably worse trackpad.

Normally it's also $300 more.

i have a 2012 non retina.

I like: Incredibly stable never crashed once unless i ran out of ram doing stupid shit, non cancer os, build quality of chassis is tough as fuck, magsafe, access to apple only software that i use for work, looks nice, touch pad is the fucking goat.

i don't like: runs burning fucking hot under load,build quality of keyboard absolute shit, pain in the fucking ass to service, expensive.

You were correct until you pretended anything has a better trackpad...

Let's be honest, they're mostly overpriced ovens with a nice design, sure, but the trackpad is actually top notch.

I like their screens and aluminum casing. Thats about it. They are undeniably overpriced, throttle like a mother fucker and have shite keyboards.

Attached: 1560571797800.jpg (400x400, 98K)

>Pixelbook

jesus christ no

>throttles
>overheats
>performs like a $500 walmart HP but costs $3000
>keyboard sounds like WWII cricket
>keyboard is such fragile trash keys fall off from normal use
>keyboard dies from a single speck of dust
>video cable is so fragile if you open the screen past 90 degrees it tears
>batteries are lowest of lowest grade chinktrash and spontaneously detonate
>shit build quality and is constructed completely out of recycled beer cans and dents if you put anything else with it in a bag
>T2 chip locks users out of BIOS access and prevents installing linux if someone doesn't want to use the abortion that is pajeetOS
How does one company fuck up one product line THIS hard?

Attached: 1543538856447.jpg (4618x3464, 777K)

>Keys are all dirty and shit
>Permanent worn palmrest

Or course the keyboard will break if you use it like a fucking ape.

They wouldn't be worn if apple products weren't low grade cheap chinkshit.

You think that until you use it, and realize that they can glitch and prevent you from using it properly since it's not a standard click/touch motor.

Using one right now, it's fucking awesome. Fast, quiet, great keyboard, great trackpad, great as a tablet, great as a laptop

Mostly this, overall very nice design, trackpad, and a case that should keep it well protected while giving the MacBook a very nice premium feel that most companies can't match up to, even at the same price or higher.

But just about every Apple product has some sort of known issue, just take a quick look at Apple exchange and repair programs for a good example. Notable issues this year have been:

-Keyboard replacement program for 2019 Mac models
-Battery replacement program for 2015 15" MacBooks
-Screen replacement program for 2016 13" MacBooks
-Screen replacement program for Apple watch series 2 and 3

I've had the chance to use it a few times, its nice overall but way too overpriced for a Chromebook.
Also I like my OS to actually be productive IMO.

Can I get that wallpaper

Here it is

Attached: MTU2OTc4NTM2NDc1Nzk2Njc5[1].jpg (2000x1125, 1.12M)

>its nice overall but way too overpriced for a Chromebook.
Think of it as the same price (roughly) as an iPad Pro with Keyboard Sleeve.
>Also I like my OS to actually be productive IMO.
It is productive, tons productive, it's just not a full OS like Windows. But it's close with Linux support.

The concept of the macbook pro is good.
The execution is poor.
The main reason people get upset about them is all the "gotchas" Apple has implemented.
1) Every generation that kill off old ports, forcing everyone to buy new accessories and adapters.
2) The price is often ludicrous for the performance you get. (I've seen people compare to Dells and HP of similar spec but those other brands are also overpriced)
3) You can't upgrade them.
4) Can't fix them yourself.
5) The performance improvements over previous generations are MINISCULE.
6) They're a status symbol

Get a 2012 model or buy a Razer Blade. /Thread.

I forgot to mention the overheating and poor thermals on the new macbook pro. Seriously the worst part about them.

>You can't upgrade them.
i had an argument yesterday with some apple fanboy.

he unironically wanted to sell me that as advantage over windows laptops! because "apple organizes files in another way and you need to get used to it" and "nobody ever needs more than 128gb storage"

thanks friend

Great points that I missed. That T2 chip is literally apple inserting hardware locks on their machines so they can ONLY be used for exactly what apple allows.

its not the same

The touch bar is a good idea but I wish that it was included alongside rather than instead of the function keys

lmfao with that APFS shit.

Apple fanboys are dumber people. THat's apples target audience. I mean it honestly.

later he accused me for being unable to sort my files because i want to be able to swap ram and storage :lul:

>Apple fanboys
>people
iToddlers are untermensch and honestly should be gassed.

Attached: 1550923535367.jpg (996x954, 319K)

Please tell me that person was not white.

he was and, from his own words, "has 40 years of experience with computer"

How do you write on a mac with such hueg touchpad?

oh christ

I just realized he might be talking about apples spotlight searching combined with APFS de-duping. Either way, implying we are incapable of sorting and organizing our files is retard mode to the max.

Reminder to report the street shitting OP.

Attached: 1557072972093.png (868x998, 331K)

>reee report things i dont like!!!

Attached: 1540566067131.jpg (708x800, 95K)

Overpriced trash. The touchscreen bar seems like it would be cool, but I'm not buying something like that for it. I wonder if there's some chink company making actually good laptops with it.

They aren't bad but overpriced and Apple's business practices turned into a scam p much.
Technically there's one thing: Macbooks throttle the CPU if put under constant high loads like a video game or a rendering process.
They can only handle short bursts of high intensity work like when you open a browser.

What's wrong with APFS?

Throttling happens with pretty much any mobile device, which makes perfect sense too given how most computing tasks are short bursts, so you'd rather want your CPU to boost the fuck out of the clock and go to idle as soon as possible.

>2000 x 1125

Attached: 1547710139311.jpg (658x501, 258K)

The keyboard on the last few years' models is really bad IMO. Even when it works properly, the short key action is unpleasant and the touch bar is silly.

>nobody ever needs more than 128gb storage"
Why don't you just ssh into your NAS user?

High prices for mostly average specs, completely unserviceable, touchbar is a gimmick that makes the overall experience worse, current models have defective keyboards and poor linux support.

>I really really wish some massive company would put billions into polishing up Linux.

they have, It's called ChromeOS and you can install it on any computer

neverware.com/freedownload

Imagine making Linux even worse!

>there are people on g that can afford MacBooks and aren't using refurbished shitpads with gentoo

Attached: IMG_1231.jpg (633x905, 103K)

Same and it's unironically worth more than my mid 2014 because it's the last MBP that has upgradable parts. I'm thinking about maxing it out one day.

>mactoddlers jerking it to """""""features"""""" that are standard for all PC laptops from $200 to $20,000 models
AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No, it's just memes.

>What do you hate about them?
The laptop is great, apple is a shit company though

>What do you like about them?
Great for programming work, good battery life, OS stays out of the way but provides powerful tools if you know how to use them

Yes.

Attached: 1548034665906.jpg (989x1005, 189K)

I highly doubt that it will cost more than 1K in repairs to do it yourself.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Attached: 1552789741868.png (699x911, 451K)

I have a 13" 2013 MBA and it has been a great laptop so far. Great battery, absolutely stable, get job done and still supported by apple. I wish bootcamp/Linux would run better on it but macOS is decent for web browsing, iWork/Office, and downloading my stuff. Still my next laptop won't be a Mac. Since 2015 macbook are just not worth it anymore.

Same boat here, but with 2013 MBP. Still runs like new, but there's no way I'll buy a new one. I've got a 2018 from work and it's not much of an improvement, not even taking the reduced i/o into account.

I'll probably go the latitude/Thinkpad running fedora route after this gets too old to be useful.

Picked up a 2009 13" MBP. Seems the seller sold it because they thought it had a damaged screen but it was just something pressing on the screen cable.

Threw in 8GB of ram and a spare SSD and its flying now.

Attached: 20190902_013659.jpg (2420x1815, 2.7M)

The Retina ones are unupgradeable garbage. The butterfly switches are just awful, and whoever thought replacing the Function keys with a touchscreen needs to be shot.

>literally happened once before Apple recalled them

Attached: 1427687876452.jpg (948x960, 66K)

like half of these have already been addressed and fixed. seems like you're digging for reasons...

Attached: selena.jpg (300x300, 23K)

Macbooks are the only option if you want to actually work with other designers/developers that use macs

>Lemme just airdrop it to you from my phone real quick!
>Lemme just send over the sketch file!
>Let's facetime!

If they don't use macs then whatever, but if people already use macs you're fucking handcuffed whether you like it or not, you don't wanna be the "Sorry guys I can't open that file..." guy, you'll just end up getting fired.

I had a 15" 2011 one, Apple once recalled them and fix something in the screen for free, years after the sale.

Unfortunately I left my window open last spring and was soaked in water while turned on, I could had probably saved it but I bought a 13" 2018 with some extra money I had around.

Honestly I don't think it's going to last me as much as the 2011 one, but apple really won my trust

>Surface
Far worse than anything Apple makes. They are seriously the worst computers on the market right now.

Windows can't reliably network with external drives.

Work gave me one of these. I fucking hate it. I don’t know which ifag decided to make everything start with apple key. Or why is basic functionality that comes standard with other OS is only available on OS X if you buy an app.

Worst pos I had to ever work on. Overheating, throttling to the point where even browsers are unusable, and the dongling nightmare. Afrer 3 years battery got swolen like a cheap chink phone, bending the whole chasis.
Only good thing is the long charge, and portability.

>Or why is basic functionality that comes standard with other OS is only available on OS X if you buy an app.
Such as?

Its probably the known GPU issues in those models.

And Nvidia's poor handling of it was what led to Apple dropping support for their hardware in OS X.14.

Unreliable as fuck.
>mac mini and NAS in same room, a few feet apart from each other
>Time Machine backing up to NAS through APFS
>"oops sorry bro, that device just disappeared, brb gonna crash forever now"
>"oh that backup? Yeah it's corrupted now lmao"
>"hey chill out, I managed to send over 10kB in 2 hours"
Meanwhile the windows machines ran File History perfectly fine while being a room apart. MacOS and APFS are just crap.

youtu.be/DB6UWGeNePk

If we're talking about design, feel and shit like that, they are awesome and beautiful.

If you consider actual usage, ability to repair, customer service, if you care about being able to do whatever you want with the hardware you bought, they are terrible.

If we could have a ThinkPad with the aesthetics of an MacBooks, that would be a Holy Grail.