GUIX

>designed with the best programming practices
>easy to use package manager
>graphical install
>designed to be used with docker and other modern services
>doesn't try to send your every move to israel
>uses guile scheme the easiest thing in the world to understand. don't have to waste your time learning autist side project languages to do things with your system.
>can represent your system setup with a single hash, allowing you to replicate and roll back easily
>don't have to sudo everything like a turbo cuck
>simplicity
>freedom
BASED

Attached: based.png (1200x1090, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Channels.html
gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No

what to do after base install?

Best distro by far.

If i werent so happy with gentoo id definitely move to Guix. Seems like a great distro.

Be better if it used Common Lisp.

Is it even a distro? Wikipedia says it's a package manager. Although, it sounds exciting if it becomes well supported enough. I really want to use an FSF-approved free distro, but Trisquel and Parabola just fucking suck.

Scheme is alright as a scripting language.

id like to see you try to hack my esbisght

Guix is the package manager, GuixSD is the distro.

the fuck did you say

>Forced to redefine package definitions to change out input and output
>Uses pulse audio and most of the poetterware suite
:/

>only libre software allowed
cringe

They renamed GuixSD to Guix System.

By default, that is. Custom Guix Channels allow you to install stuff outside official Guix repositories.
guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Channels.html

For example:
gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix

Can I use it with LibreSSL, OpenRC and bleeding-edge packages?

>uses Scheme
not based. Better if it used Ruby/Python/Perl(6)/Haskell.

lisp is based little man

>better it used four different languages in tandem with no standard representation of data (so add that too, +botnet bloat to manage the disaster) and three of which aren't even functional
cringe

>relying on fsf upstream
yikes

>He doesn't have his own build farm to build his own packages from source automatically.
Okay...

Yeah, it's great except it's GNU and they're like the vegans of free software.
NixOS is more mature and has way more up to data packages, but comes at the cost of sending your moves to Israel (how did this come to be btw? it was started by based Dutchbros) and forcing systemdick down your throat.

The graphical installer crashes if sdb is your primary.

Care to elaborate on why NixOS is an israeli botnet?

Uses NSAware. It cannot be called 'free' in any way whatsoever.

>NixOS is israeli botnet
huh? since when

looks like a really nice fucking concept. I'll stay with nix for now, wait 'til it's more stable, - and then will deploy it on all of my machines.

Hey guys, I'm really interested in this distro.
I have one concern, about the declarative system configuration.
Since all the system configuration is done in a scheme file, I feel like there's a normal GNU/Linux system with all its files hidden behind that abstraction. I can imagine some scenery where I have to modify something and can't figure how to do it in that file (if it is even possible), when doing it on another distro would be trivial.
I hope this makes sense. Is my concern reasonable?

>>easy to use package manager
It is a package manager.

Besides that, I'm onboard with this all the way. Love all the concepts behind it. I'll just have to learn a bit more Scheme and re-read the documentation so I can be a bit more comfortable and dive in.

Marlin please stop. I am happy with Windows 10 LTSC, I do not want your crusty meme distro.

Then why reply???
Im just wondering?
If you dont care then ignore the whole thread.

Functional OS == based

Fucking based, I run nix myself. am israeli

Attached: 7903EBF4-2236-4D75-B11E-9BA8B1A9023D.png (1080x1331, 786K)

I really hope nix/guix eventually become the standard but I don't want to use either of them until they're more mature

For something in linux to be standard, it first needs to come or be supported by Red Hat. Those two don't, so it won't be standard ever.

Was considering switching to void but reconsidering as of today. Downloaded the qemu image and will play around with it a bit.

Things like /etc/profile can still be hand edited.

Should I install this or trisquel?

Install Guix. Trisquel is basically just Ubuntu with worse repositories but Guix is interesting architecturally.

Guix is a cringe name. Will not use. How could they have fucked that up so badly. Oh wait, these are "GNU" people. They could fuck up a cup of coffee.

Why use the global scheme config file, then?

If I'm getting this right you're concerned if you can transfer files from the main pc to the declared OS file? If so, yes you can, g-exps let's you do exactly that, so you can declare a .patch file to be used in a build or a .config file for your packages or whatever, the manual (which btw is very good) goes more in depth

Convenience. If you can put your whole configuration in config.scm aside from your personal dotfiles you can keep your system state in git.

>>don't have to sudo everything like a turbo cuck
Fuck it. I'm trying this out right now on my second PC.

>(citation needed)

>can represent your system setup with a single hash, allowing you to replicate and roll back easily
Tell me more about this.

Attached: 1539215028917.png (1144x888, 337K)

>uterus logo
you will never be a woman, dilate

Every time you change your system state it generates an identifying hash. You can then roll back to an earlier configuration by specifying a hash. The guix documentation goes into more detail.

Huh. Sounds like an extremely useful feature.

For anything, redefine entire packages or even group definitions

How much about GNU/Linux should I know if I want to go in-depth with this distribution?
I've been using GNU/Linux for a couple years (Ubuntu->Debian->Manjaro->Arch->Void) but I've never messed that much with it. I've basically just tinkered with Xorg stuff (different DEs, WMs, etc.).
Now I'm reading "The Linux Command Line (2nd Ed)" and I'm starting to get a more holistic view of it all (I knew how a bunch of it worked, but not how its parts connected). But it's basically just about the command line.
Do I need more expertise on normal distros to get into this one? I've never messed with the bootloader, the init system or more advanced parts of the OS, I just know they exist.
I ask since this distro seems to be much more different and with abstractions on top of the normal Linux environment.