Win10 on T420

Hey Jow Forumsuys, I wanna buy a ThinkPad T420 since I'm on a budget and I like the classic keyboards that the thinkpads before the xx30(fuck chiclet) line used to have. The problem is that I will have to dual-boot win10 and linux, but I'm worried that the intel hd 3000 igpu will make my life with win10 hell, is it an actual problem or should I just go with the T430?

Attached: t420.jpg (355x295, 16K)

you can get a t420 with an amd or nvidia gpu. problem solved. win10 will always be a shit no matter what though.

true, but those cost way more in my shit-hole of a country, so my only choices are the integrated chips ones.

Werks fine for me. You should just get a T430 and do the T420 keyboard swap though.

just how tight is your budget? the t420 with an i5 and discrete gpu should be running less than 400 CAD. that's like what... 300 USD right now? also keep in mind that the t420 is amongst the last thinkpads you can replace the cpu.

that's a relief. I wanted to do that but I quickly changed my mind, when I watched some youtube videos and their T430's were left with some bulges after swapping the keyboard, yuck!

pretty tight(200€) and the integrated ones cost 170€ here, the ones with the discrete gpus go for a lot more because technologically inept idiots here will pay anything as long as their machines have the nVidia logo on them.

have you considered checking on ebay to see if you find a cheaper price, including shipping and stuff?

what's the markup where you live? i actually recently bought a refurbished t420 with a radeon chip for $170. they're not too hard to find. the nvidia ones may got for $30 or $40 more.

You can put an xx20 keyboard on a xx30 with a file, a knife and a CH341a or raspberry pi.
Chinks on aliexpress with hook you up with any thinkpad keyboard you'd like(including rare layouts) and the BIOS programmer.

most sellers on eBay won't ship here and even if they do, the shipping costs a lot, fml
I'll most likely do that because it seems like I'll be going with the t430 but as I said earlier, I watched a couple of youtube vids and those guys were left with some bulges on their machines after the swap.
the ones with the integrated chips here cost as much as the ones with the radeon chips there

I'm running W10 on HD 2500 since my GPU exploded, and it works just fine. No noticeable difference in how the OS performs compared to a dedicated GPU.

It's pretty straightforward, I set up W10 on a X220 last week in order to sell it on. The only issue was the Ericsson 3G modem which does not have working W10 drivers at all, everything else either just worked (tm) or was fixed in minutes.

i bought a t420 with the nvidia graphics for $40 about 2 years ago. that is their value if you pay more then that your an idiot.

That's really reassuring, I'm only worried because there's no official driver support for intel hd 3000.
Sorry about your GPU.

Idk if that's their true value, you might've just gotten lucky but sure.

Is it really that bad? Back in the day, my 2012 Air with HD 4000 had zero issues with 7 and 10 is lighter on resources most of the time.

Intel hd 4000 is cool and windows 7 rocks but it's getting discontinued on January 14th 2020!

Why would you try and run Windows 10 on a computer that is older than one year old?

maybe guy had a stack to the ceiling of them. said he got them from a hospital he works for managing their network and they were broken and he fixed them up. or he could've just stole them all. either way i got a thinkpad T420 nvidia gpu with thinkpad dock, expanded battery and two chargers for $40

i just installed windows 10 build 1903 on multiple sandy bridge cpus that only had first gen intel hd 1000/2000 gpus and it ran fine. drivers are already built into windows.

It should work fine
Classic keyboard mod is a meme

Attached: new thinkpad.jpg (800x1200, 709K)

fuck off retarded frogposter.

Runs like shit.

>win10 will always be a shit no matter what though.
This.

Use Windows 7 and the Linux distro of your choice.

Windows 10 on my T420 is slow as shit.
I recommend if you are getting one to get an SSD

Windows 10 on Sandy Bridge iGPU is fine. The only problem that you'll run into is W10 being slow as balls due to excessive disk I/O. If you really want Windows 10, you'll need an SSD to go along with it.

>frogposter
>insulting ancient historical beliefs
Nigger. Gas yourself.

Windows update pulled an Intel driver for me automatically on LTSC. Just because there’s no official 10 driver doesn’t mean it won’t work

You have no idea of what you're talking about, if you can't flash a BIOS you're a room temperature IQ faggot and OP is asking about W10 performance on a xX20 now look at the retarded shit you posted and think of what you have done.

Hd graphics 3000 is enough for most stuff, the dedicated gpu is barely faster anyway.

you know you can replace the T430 keyboard with a T420 one, right?

hahahahahaahhahahahahahhah, Windows 10,hahahahahahhahaha

Attached: lmao.jpg (250x241, 10K)

>those guys were left with some bulges on their machines after the swap.
that's because many of them are pretty retarded and just crammed the classic keyboard under the palmrest without using a file to make it fit properly. If you do it in an non-retarded way (see thinkpad wiki or instructables page) you should get the keyboard looking and working like it was native to the machine (except for the caps lock led which won't ever work)

I run W10 on a T400. I have switchable graphics but I spend 90% of my time using the Intel GPU.

Everything works fine. Do the usual laptop stuff when you get it (max out the RAM, get an SSD), and you'll have a very solid machine.

>10 is lighter on resources most of the time
No. It's especially heavier on graphics.

The hd3000 isn't significantly weaker than the further intel igpus

>and their T430's were left with some bulges after swapping the keyboard, yuck!
Because they used the T420 palmrest which doesn'r really fit at the seams. use the original palmrest and modify the slots with an exacto knife instead.