Is a Dyson style fan with air multiplication (which apparently is a real thing) more efficient than a traditional fan?

Is a Dyson style fan with air multiplication (which apparently is a real thing) more efficient than a traditional fan?

Wouldn't the energy needed to route the air cancel out any benefits of the air multiplication?

Also axial or centrifugal at 5v? I know centrifugal fans are used on gpus for their static pressure which might come in useful for the Dyson design.

Attached: dysonairmultiplier-fig2.jpg (550x342, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

costco.com/Winix-C555-Air-Cleaner-with-PlasmaWave-Technology.product.100280312.html
cdc.gov/air/ozone.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

centrifugal is better to direct airflow, but idk if it's actually better in terms of cooling down a gpu in a small case
I doubt it makes a big difference
as for the dyson, it's an obvious gimmick product, you can get proper climate control (for a small space) if you spend a little more
only idiots buy these things imo

Air turbulence is a big benefit for cooling radiators. It's what makes push louder & better than pull in terms of cooling. They both move the same amount of air though

That picture of the regular fan on the bottom makes no sense at all.

Attached: 1565682398141.jpg (589x530, 43K)

I've thought about getting one of the dyson air purifiers as the dust in my building is outta control and makes me sneeze.

I've seen some comparisons online between Dyson and competitors and they're pretty close.
I don't mind paying that bit extra for style points but are there any genuine alternatives I should be looking at?

Attached: 1500250306962.jpg (1000x563, 102K)

>Is a Dyson style fan with air multiplication (which apparently is a real thing) more efficient than a traditional fan?
nope. traditional fans push air further and faster, using same or lesser amount of energy. everything dyson makes is meme-tier garbage for gullible fucking morons.

>I've thought about getting one of the dyson air purifiers as the dust in my building is outta control and makes me sneeze.
>I've seen some comparisons online between Dyson and competitors and they're pretty close.
>I don't mind paying that bit extra for style points but are there any genuine alternatives I should be looking at?

costco.com/Winix-C555-Air-Cleaner-with-PlasmaWave-Technology.product.100280312.html

Maybe something like this? Guess on sale on eBay for like $99 some times I think

Maybe /csg/ can beat even this

Attached: imageService.jpg (350x350, 16K)

I dunno but Dyson air feels cooler than other standard fans I have and its strong. Also sounds like jetplane on high settings but I almost never go past 5. 6 upwards is pretty loud.

>air multiplication (which apparently is a real thing)

OP, the dyson air movers work by having the fan blades in the base, which pushes air through holes on the outside of the ring.

it literally cannot be more efficient than a regular fan, based on how it is designed, it just has a novel method of operation that creates a very smooth laminar flow of air that they have marketed as being special

Attached: AIRMOVER.jpg (620x506, 56K)

>Also sounds like jetplane on high settings
this is because the fan is extremely small and has to run at an insanely high RPM to move any volume of air

if you want a quiet fan buy a fan with large fan blades because it is a fundamental principle of aerodynamics and resonant frequencies. Ideally one with ducted blades and a vortex path, so obviously a $10 box fan is going to be shit, but a $10 box fan also moves a shitload more air than one of these things

its kind of amazing me how people are falling for the air mover. when i first saw it, it took me like five minutes until i realized how it was a fundimentally bad design. i was like, fourteen

It can definitely be more efficient in terms of its cooling potential if it produces a laminar flow of air directly onto a particular site.

Not having a small one on your desk with a towel on it so you can hotbox your hair while browsing g while looking through the hole

No it doesn't make sense to me.

""Multiplication"" is indeed a real thing but the efficiency of this device looks extremely questionable.

It employs FUCKLOAD of high aerodynamic loss features.
To bedin with it sucks the air through many small holes in the base, air hates small holes, each hole edge has border layer and basically the greater the surface air flows along the more friction and losses.
There's also a filter
After that it's pumped by a small high RPM compressor, must be noisy
then it flows sideways through the ring also losses
being pushed through the harrow slit along the airfoil is losses again

I think it's a novelty item with no objective benefits other than looking unusual and """magical"".
It must be worse and louder than a regualr fan.

>air multiplication
Let me just multiply these 2 air molecules by these two others to get you 4 more for free...

all it does is suck in air and then blast it out like the dyson airblade or whatever
it has more range but it's a fucking desk fan, it's also really noise and it claims there's no dust - you just wipe around the ring - that's because all the dust is inside, clogging the whole thing up, which makes cleaning it even more complicated than a basic fan
also the air jet isn't a beam like in that picture, it's a ring of air which spreads out / dissapates like a shotgun blast or something
basically its a gimmick like all of dysons shit you see them thrown out everywhere if you go to any electric dumping ground, shitloads of dyson vacuums and dyson bladeless fans etc

Worst part about it is the price, you could buy four high quality steel box propeller fans and put one in each corner of your room and achieve better cooling than the Dyson can at the same price anyway

Get a philips HEPA one.

It's actually very smart, it uses boundary layer to drag more air along the airfoil

Completely impractical, but very smart and cool.

Attached: velocity-vector.png (350x200, 14K)

this, wouldn't it be more like a helix-shaped pressure wave from each blade?

>high quality steel box propeller fans
lets be real, these are things people buy when they're sick of their $30 rattling store brand plastic shit
why get a high quality "regular" fan, when you can buy a literal meme?

the depiction of the lower fan is so abysmally retarded I can hardly believe it

dyson is equivalent to apple

do you know what laminar means

Their airblade is objectively good.
Other hand dryers just blow on your hands until the water dries up, airblades actually blow hard enough to blow the water off your skin.

they still suck, they're not hygienic, and the best way to dry your hands is to use paper towels

I just prefer not to touch anything in the public bathroom

And how are they not hygienic?

i don't believe laminar flow increases cooling in any capacity and i don't really see how that would be beneficial in any cooling scenario. especially considering the fan itself is already inefficient because of the silencer and flow control

i wouldn't really say 'smart' its pretty much the only way to get laminar airflow. considering its inefficiency and amount of engineering to given results i would not say this is 'smart' at all

i was not aware of the 'air blade' but high power hand dryers that actually work are not unique to dyson. they just don't have a gimmick

FEEL the POWER

Attached: DRYER.jpg (614x461, 17K)

i don't like how hard it is to keep your hands from touching the sides of it because of the combination of small opening + strong air

Their old "hand urinal" design is fucking retarded and incredibly awkward.

But they have different designs, I seen ones that are just like the regular ones and the ones integrated into the tap.

Those are convenient as hell.

Attached: Airblade-Tap.jpg (640x360, 126K)

i've never seen that before
the ones i've used are the same or similar to this

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (850x850, 54K)

I fucking hated those retarded urinals, I can't imagine how did they come up with that.

But they also have some non retarded designs.

Attached: IP051711_6.jpg (1510x1287, 83K)

There's a contender from the allmighty Xiaomi. Reviews look good, but you'll likely break on shipping costs as sending big things for free is a no no these days..

>washing your hands

Attached: robot.jpg (453x450, 52K)

Box fan with a central air-air filter on the front. There you go.

That would entirely be an example of a made up marketing gimmick. All airflow has a forward pressure wave that "drags" surrounding air with it.

Watch semi trucks on the highway during a heavy rain or fog or whatever and you'll see how the truck's air wake is pulling surrounding air.

It ain't so small, partner. Works great though.

Attached: IMG_20190717_145825_compress89.jpg (864x1536, 171K)

Weird as fuck urinal, I tried it and it spewed my piss everywhere

You do realize that the actual fan is inside the stand, right?

i remember when they were first talked about, and that they avoided "buffeting", and i have still not heard or seen that word used anywhere else ever

It is literally a fan inside of an enclosure. If you buy this shit youre a certified boomer. Same as with expensive space heaters.

I know but the small round versions have smaller base too. It's not that small.

>that
>non retarded
Until some retarded restaurant owner decides to mount them at head height and they push all the water drops down your arms. Fucking hell I hate that guy and his dumb ass hipster bar.

manlets will literally never learn

I'm not into tech, I'm asking as a consumer. I can see it's mostly marketing, but what about reliability? Conventional fans get dirty/clog, and need to be oiled regularly. I know this hasn't been out long enough, but do any current owners feel it's reliable?

I only own one Dyson product, the ball upright. It may not be any stronger than other uprights, but I've owned it for a decade and it still performs as well today as it did on the first day. Never had to service or replace belts. In a practical situation, it has more than paid for itself through its longevity and no degradation in performance, and this gets overlooked.

no one changes the air filters. so the air is filtered through dick/balls/feces dust

>Conventional fans get dirty/clog, and need to be oiled regularly
i dont think theres a single fan on the (european) market that would allow you to unscrew the blades to reapply oil. atleast not without voiding your warranty.

>he doesn't know air from a fan is made of blue slices of apple

Attached: brat kek.png (531x720, 467K)

Aren't air purifiers meme?

I got a chink knockoff (still 40 bux, mind), it's a bit better than my old fan but really not by a lot. On max it's louder than a conventional fan, with a higher pitch. On a low setting it's more silent. The form factor is nice.

Attached: 41E2qmqPKHL._SL1001_.jpg (1001x1001, 31K)

The ring of moving air pulls the air inside it along with it, and that's air that didn't go through the fan

Air purifying can't hurt, if it means filtering dust, pollen, smoke and other particles out of the air.
Ionizers however... Pretty sure that's a big meme.

Ozone is good for you.

DO NOT BUY DYSON
You will be funding their STUPID FUCKING HANDDRYERS WHICH BLOW SHIT ALL OVER YOU
Buy an alternative brand. They are overpriced anyway.
DO NOT BUY DYSON
FUCK THOSE HANDDRYERS.

I hate the dip your hands in hand dryers. They aren't clean. People are disgusting. Piss in them. Shitty hands are in them. I always complain that the bath room does not have paper towels. 9/10 a few weeks later paper towels are there. FUCK dyson hand dryers to hell.

cdc.gov/air/ozone.html

Attached: 1566792362849.jpg (1024x768, 218K)

>mfw hands touch the sides

Attached: pink.png (680x708, 387K)

People who fall for Dyson shit are the same people who fall for Apple marketing

I've got a couple winix filters and they've been great for increasing air quality. I live next to a gravel road so dust is really bad in my place. They cut down on the sneezing and I don't have to dust as often. Don't buy a dyson meme. It's like the Apple of household junk

Looks like a hoax.
You need oxygen
Ozone has 3 times amount of oxygen!
If you breathe pure ozone, you'd probably unleash true power of human brains and start using 100% of your brain, instead of puny 5% like now...

Attached: 1544267005520.jpg (5312x2988, 809K)

Fuck off retard.

It's much quieter.

It's very quiet tho.

>t. brainlet
See? If you used more than 5%, you'd come up with something better than an insult.

>MUH BUFFETING

dyson is just a meme company and has never invented anything actually worthwhile. prove me wrong

Their self-balancing scooters has created an entirely new niche industry. While they may not be the dominant maker, it is very obvious that they started the trend and it caught on.

Likewise with their cordless vacuums. Prior to dyson, the Dust Devil was the standard of cordless vacuums, and it was absolute garbage tier. Their cordless vacuums are actually quite nice.

Actually their vacuums in general. Once everyone started copying them, the industry was never the same again, and vacuums in general are way better than they were in my childhood.

>Is a Dyson style fan with air multiplication more efficient than a traditional fan?
uses more power and operates at higher db level than fans moving similar cfm
i don't know what other metric you could try to measure efficiency with, but those two say definitely not

we have these at my college. they are fucking awful. the water heats up way too fucking fast, and because there is no temperature control you can't turn it down.

the fan on the bottom shit and doesn't dry your hands at all, I just end up wiping them on my shirt because we dont have paper towels. the motion detector for the fan is finicky as fuck and sometimes doesn't work unless you get your hands just right.

The soap dispensers are even worse. same detector issues only you have to wave your hand under multiple times for the soap to actually come out. They are also so fragile that someone managed to break one of them in one of the bathrooms and it is completely inoperable now.

All terrible products. A regular sink with normal faucets and temperature control is far cheaper and much more reliable.

> Once everyone started copying them

so basically they are the apple of the vaccuum world. everyone follows them even though their designs are shit

The fun thing is that others have long figured that one air blade in a more traditional top down case works better than the not urinals.

>I fucking hated those retarded urinals

Agreed. Those dyson blade things are hard to pee in, and it gets everywhere. Not a good urinal at all.

HWHUUUUUUUWHUHWUHWWUUUUHWUWUUUUuuuuu

Bros how hasnt A/C evolved since the 70s? How is it that I still have to put a giant bulky ass block in my window if I want a cool room?

Attached: 1561571300266.png (741x568, 29K)

... is this a double troll?

so there is nothing wrong with the fans as long you change the filters, right?

poor attempt

there are hybrids of regular ac + evaporative cooling

>air multiplication
you can get the same feeling for a fraction of the price with this style of fan

Attached: black-bionaire-tower-fans-btf4011arbu-64_1000[1].jpg (1000x1000, 42K)

where my ionic breeze niggas at?
nothing smells fresher than ionized air

Attached: 51D1YGW6CDL[1].jpg (350x1096, 44K)

Their cordless vacuums are second to none tho and are on par with a lot of corded upright vacuums

A box fan and a square filter will yield similar results, user. (needs citation)

Fuck that pussy ass shit and get a real fan.

Attached: 1536264856886.jpg (1500x1500, 148K)

Can I just replace one of my windows with a big-ass fan so I can keep the room cool with no noise?

>air multiplication (which apparently is a real thing)

Attached: 1560192598886.jpg (900x948, 111K)

Ever used one? It's the opposite.
No, it actually does not.

IN A PERFECT WORLD

What does air multiplier technology do, then?

No it's less efficient because of wonky ducting. But hey it doesn't have visible blades.

Centrifugal fans are used because you can create lateral air flow, axial fans create flow that just rams against the board. Poor efficacy notwithstanding, three fans push more air than one.

Reminder that Dyson marketing is in this thread shilling
>they do it for money

Because thermodynamics. You gotta dissipate all the heat you pump out of your house + heat generated by the unit. That shit commands large radiator.

>I hate the dip your hands in hand dryers. They aren't clean.
Usually you use hand dryers only after you wash your hands. I think if you piss on your hands and then just walk past the sink to dry them, you're probably doing something wrong. If you have shit on your hands, probably the air dryer isn't powerful enough to blow it off.

Attached: fuck_you_ichigo.png (1793x2040, 557K)

Pushes greater volume of air than expelled, by dragging adjacent air along. Overall less efficient but if you have a high pressure source of air then you can exchange speed drop for volume increase.

Be an adult, whip your hands to get the majority of the water off and then wipe on your pants

They basically reversed their defective vacuum turbines in the fan base

user pls, buy dyson

inb4 Elon Musk is in this thread and takes your advice literally and buys Dyson then shuts it down to stop the shilling

I like these Dyson fans because they are perfect for blowing my cock

Attached: 1567434124439.jpg (1080x963, 330K)