Is computer science hell ?

I'm a french student in CS and I'm literally lost.
I just don't see the end of it, there is an awful lot of technologies, languages, OS...
When I'm looking for advice about learning CS, one that comes back often is to work with a goal in mind, a project, actually do something and learn along. But I have no such thing, there are no new things that I can think about and that could be approachable.

Also, while using my computer on a daily basis, I feel like every piece of software is garbage and broken in a way or another.
Is this it ? Are people just coding without really knowing what they're doing ?

Attached: Pepehell.png (230x227, 144K)

If you pick any one thing it will be approachable but if you're not interested in anything just stop whining and accept the fact that you're an unmotivated loser, go work at McDonalds

> Are people just coding without really knowing what they're doing ?
A lot are yeah, fellow trench here, quality if éducation un France is lower than ever and it doesn't look like it's going to be better anytime soon, juste go for alternance and do some internships

You sound like you are studying Software '''Engineering''' and aiming to codemonkey webdev prospects, not CS. If that is the case make us all a favor and kill yourself.

The thing is I don't think I'll have to work at McDonald's as I will have my shitty "licence" (I'm not sure if it's equivalent to american degree) seeing how I get some of the best grades around here. I don't really need motivation either because I'm pretty disciplined.
My problem is that I don't see the point of what I'm learning because I don't see any application of it, and what you don't use you eventually loose.
It feels like throwing a stone in an ocean of possibilities which are all interconnected and need each others to have any value.

Licence sucks but I like the liberty it gives me.

I don't really aim for anything web related but then again everything is web related.

Same problem. Law student here in Germany. No application whatsoever, only theory. Am demotivated flat to the point that I took a break from studying right before the final exams. I am now pretty fucked because of it financially.

>no own projects and ideas
Get involved in an open source project. I'm sure there's some open source software you use. Check their site, and especially their bugtracker. Pick a small easy to solve bug and start working on it. First step is always to get it built on your own machine with your develoment environment.
Ehen you fixed the bug, submit the patch and get the next one... Rather soon somebody from that project will pick you up and perhaps assign a new feature to you instead of just bugfixing.

>My problem is that I don't see the point of what I'm learning because I don't see any application of it,
what did you learn about in the last 3 months?

Basics of architecture, a bit of arithmetic and we made some shitty algorithms with ada and C.
End of the year's project was a console monopoly in C. Oh and we did some network shenanigans that no one had any understanding of.

I feel like everyone here is retarded.

Hey French guy learn about PI "Process Intelligence." With that you can move into OIL and Chem, Manufacturing, etc.

Learn about PI, OPC UA and senor hats for the raspberry PI.

Learn about ESXI and start making cool useful data historians.

Plot data to map traffic conditions.

Don;t give up and btw pick grapes for a Summer

Your liberty is just a trap, unless you have a lot of discipline, and your licence will be useless, because RH have no clue about this field and will only take people that did a master

What year are you, first or second, my studies really picked up at second semester of second year

I plan to go in master or leave and find something else.

I will enter in third year in a few days. The program is retarded. First year was full of unrelated courses like mechanics, chemistry and physics.

>1) most curriculae are badly formed
>2) most people can't teach
Those are the biggest problems.

Frenchie here. Universities in France are a joke, especially for tech. They have literally no standards as they will accept anyone, they teach either outdated material and are also way too abstract / theoretical about everything. Don't get me wrong, CS should be filled with math and theoretical concepts but it is too much.
From what you describe you should be in either a more professional / practical curriculum (IUT, BTS...) or not be in tech altogether. If you can't find anything to be interested in with all the amazing fields even remotely related to tech, maybe, just maybe, its not for you.

What the hell is a CS license?

>What the hell is a CS license?
its known as bait

It is essentially a worthless 3 year university degree.

heres a secret you don't know
many CS/IT jobs are about maintaining existing piles of unmaintainable shit code of low quality, and your job only exists because its a steaming pile of shit. If it werent a pile of unmaintainable shit, then your job wouldn't exist.

By extension most IT/CS jobs are a living hell where you aren't really permitted to properly fix the systems in question, because it might put you and your coworkers/managers out of a job.

hence you have to ensure it remains a pile of shit.

People like OP always frustrate me. The whine about the course not being practical or engaging enough but outside class you will never ever find them working on any of the stuff that supposedly interests them, you won't even find them reading around the subject in their own time. STEM is filled with people like this, just coasting along until they graduate and maybe find a job that the pay is decent in, although they'll probably have the same complaints about whatever job they do too. I mean sure, in a chem or physics lab, maybe you can't work on your own shit because no home lab or supercomputer or whatever but CS? What is your excuse? Every post suggesting getting involved in a project that interests you ITT has been ignored by OP.

This guy is correct though, CS/IT is hell, but not for the reasons OP thinks it is.

Precisely. Its a horrifying realisation once you've moved through multiple companies, and seen what constitutes a software product. Then comes the realisation that your coworkers quietly know it too, and you're all in on the joke.