Is it just me, or does everyone seem technologically retarded? Like I'm certainly not some 1337 h4x0rz...

Is it just me, or does everyone seem technologically retarded? Like I'm certainly not some 1337 h4x0rz, but people look at me like some kind of silicon mage when I mention doing things like replacing computer parts. Even software use is abysmal. I interviewed a zoomer for a position in my department and she had never even used Excel before. Fucking Excel. What the hell is going on?

Attached: 1301790359001.png (976x548, 49K)

I've never used Excel before, either. It's proprietary garbage.

OK well my comment also means she can't even use a fucking spreadsheet.

Work, School and other stuff can fill up people's priorities that they dont have space for other faculties. And some people simply have preconceived notions or they are unwilling to learn.

Imo it's not the people really, it's how normie environments can really change people for the worse.

But are they not even teaching computer concepts in school anymore? I'd think that in the current year, it would be going through school without learning to write. I lucked out to have parents that recognized the importance of knowing how to use a computer in addition to a school that taught us concepts like usage and light CS topics like bits in a byte, etc. Computers are cheaper than ever these days, too.

Modern college school system is set up and designed to make money off the backs of student loans that can't really be forgiven (like, zero% risk to the lender/school) while pushing as much "meat" through their grinder the people wind up with nothing much coming out of the system.
Not really the students fault. I learned more out of school than I ever did in it. Unfortunately companies still use degrees to "weed out" the # of candidates applying to a job. Most likely there is a high school graduate who can do better work for you than a master's degree level worker.
I worked in financial aid office for 2 years. My rose-colored glasses came off when I had PHD students calling in about their loans with the stupidest questions - even about basic mathmetics that a 5 second google search would have provided (how much $$ will I get after my 3K tuition is taken out of my 5K loan) like no joke, its SUBTRACTION for god sakes.

At this point i just start writing down the titles of posts i see on various tech forums because its funny to read the dumb shit the tech illiterate deal with.

"can i use a TV table as a desk for my computer or will it not work because its not a TV?"

>MFW I use a kitchen table from IKEA as a desk and a TV as a media computer monitor in my living room

Attached: Devilish_4a1cb5_6238404.jpg (470x595, 81K)

I’m a grad student and in defense of stupid questions you really do need to triple and quadruple check your finances. At my old uni, I was told every semester that I would be getting money back (as a check mailed to me) due to my scholarships, but I knew 100% that was false since tuition and other bullshit fees were quite high. Regardless, every time I called I got a different person swearing to the end of time that I would get money back. Unis know how to jew hard, so those questions really aren’t as stupid as you think.

Hmm. Well the important question now is how can I profit off of this deluge of Dr. Idiots?

True. In some cases, especially scholarships, if you wanted a refund, you had to do things very specifically.
For example, using your loans to pay your tuition first would nullify the scholarship (dumb) so people sometimes canceled their financial aid award then "re-applied" it after the scholarship paid in.
You only had to do dumb shit like that if you wanted all the extra money the loans awarded you. Which I wouldn't really recommend.

Kids these have no idea about computers really. Yeah, they grow up glued to phone/tablet screens but they don't tinker, fix, build etc. If it breaks you just get a new one.

Growing up from the 2000s, its definitely a surprise with no excel since science and math requires it at one point or another, but most curriculums teach CS concepts as electives rather than as a standard. Her school might have just been crap or too poor though to afford laptops. My school was private international so it might be bit too optimistic as everyone had full access to tech and labs.

>If it breaks you just get a new one.
>TFW this is true and you genuinely enjoy fixing things

Attached: 1380201613560.png (399x388, 113K)

The idea of ease of use has taken over computers. The idea that you might actually have to configure something or to read a manual to do something is now not acceptable.
Most people think that being good at a computer is knowing how to use a website properly.

To be fair, it's much harder to manually fix a tablet or phone than a laptop.

Even things like soldered on RAM in laptops is becoming more prevalent. Fuckin ultrathin devices man.

This. We're at the point of addiction and total dependency to the concept of ease of use, not just giving away anymore but actually paying money for the privilege of handing over our rights and privacy to corporations/government for convenience.

My older family members are now completely dependent on GPS to get around, even to places they had regularly been going to since I was a child which they used to be able to navigate to from memory. They were the ones constantly cautioning their children not to post personal info online and always emphasizing how being able to fix things is a good skill.
And now?
They think it's "suspicious" if you don't have a fagbook under your own name, and they're now saying it's a "waste of effort" to fix something when you can just pay someone to do it or buy a new thing. This mentality isn't just confined to boomers. I've seen similar attitudes expressed by people my own age (20's-30's) that I work with in a very technical field. I think we're starting to regress into a new dark age where knowing certain things like how the technology you use works is considered evil and where being not entirely dependent on others is anti-social.

My brother was doing an internship this summer and they wanted him to merge two spreadsheets. I wrote something that did what he'd do in a week in a few hours, but I have no idea how to even use Excel.

the only time I've had to use Excel for anything was one class I took years ago where they taught absurdly basic "computing concepts" (read: how to use Explorer, how to use Office, mostly how to use Excel since it was in the business department)
did learn that Excel is actually dramatically more useful than I thought, and puts usable programming style power in the hands of people who will otherwise never manage to learn how to code, but I still didn't have any personal use for it

>They think it's "suspicious" if you don't have a fagbook under your own name, and they're now saying it's a "waste of effort" to fix something when you can just pay someone to do it or buy a new thing.
that shit's fucking spooky

fuck me, that got me to laugh openly

>but people look at me like some kind of silicon mage
This is what happens when you associate with dumb people, not that there's anything wrong with that.
But water, and intellect, finds its own level.
You might not feel as comfortable whenfirst asssociating with smarter people, but persevere, you may well benefit.

Thank the very companies we propped up for making live so much more convenience with brainless automation and "frameworks"

I did a phone interview the other day with a front-end candidate, and when I asked about pure javascript functions he kept asking me to repeat the question and lingering lmao

>s it just me, or does everyone seem technologically retarded?
Everyone being everyone on Jow Forums, or everyone in public?
I mean, both apply, just was looking for clarification.

Attached: confused.webm (450x472, 1.44M)

>Not using Excel is proof of mental retardation.
I wonder how people like you even get to interview anyone for a job, Stacy.
I mean, seriously, kys.

>I interviewed a zoomer for a position in my department and she had never even used Excel before. Fucking Excel.
Yup, you're an idiot.

Maybe she uses Lotus 1-2-3 instead

I don't think it's because these people are inherently dumb, it's how current mainstream culture moulds people into these shitty mindsets.

holy shit, a talking skeleton!

Attached: hatted skull.gif (360x360, 955K)