Ageism in IT

How come IT is the only profession that shuns people over the age of 30?
Other technical jobs like pilots are done by people well into their 60s.
Politicians that lead entire countries are usually 70+.
So how come programmers get booted once they turn 30?

Attached: 194925849.jpg (492x276, 27K)

Young people are cheap and retarded and you can pay them starbucks wages. Real coders with real experience are way too fucking expensive and only needed for important parts were they earn 150k a month.

>So how come programmers get booted once they turn 30?
Because most of you become complacent, lazy and genuinely uninterested in anything new that comes over and you just want muh cobol job security - combined with the inherent boomer vanity and smugness after spending 10 years writing shitty python scripts, it simply doesn't make sense to keep you. There are countless fresh CS graduates who are more then willing to learn and spend time doing something I love, I don't wanna pay you for being a useless narcissistic piece of shit.

Once boomers are dead itll get better, well itll get worse, then better eventually

30 seems a bit young. There is a lot of variability among humans as far as the ability to learn new things. I would say the average drop off is more like 45. College kids will disagree because to them 30 is ancient. But imagine your brain turning into mush in only 8 years. Do you really think that will happen?

It really doesn't. There are still tons of boomers working in programming; it just they tend to be super boomers who can move along with the constant progress (which is just easier for younger people due brain plasticity) ... hell, they can even benefit from refusing to move a long and earn stupid money for knowing some language no one else uses.

Can't really compare it with pilots either, since their job didn't change that much and the initial requirements are way, way higher or politicians which is available for anyone rich or a minimum amount of charisma.

>How come IT is the only profession that shuns people over the age of 30?
I find some companies will only hire older people because they're tired of getting young people in that don't even know how many bits there are in a byte, don't have an idea how binary works, have no idea about the basics of how a computer functions and have the worst work ethics imaginable. they're mostly getting skills just marked off via shit educators that never really tested these people, just took their money, gave them a worthless certificate to go with their worthless skills.
> 30 seems a bit young
in the IT world, it's baby age. there are people in their 60s and 70s still working in the IT space due to many decades of experience. they're too valuable to let go of. it's not easy to replace someone with 40yrs of technical knowledge.

I'm 30 and also the second-youngest employee where I work. I have ex co-workers from 10 years ago who never bothered to get past writing shitty PHP scripts and using jQuery to accomplish most basic of tasks. They are now getting booted, one after the other.

I started programming at age 32 and I'm doing fine.

hohoh this my dude this

this is ridiculous. mid 30s is about the best in my experience. the younger people at our company write a lot of crappy code

I believe anyone can change themselves to become better learners no matter how old. I think one of the biggest factors is what jobs theyve had over the years that actually exercises their brains. A 50 year old engineer would have an easier time learning to code than a 50 year old thats worked at walmart all their life.

You mean how come startup human grinders that want everything from you and will give you nothing only want people under 30?

Gee I don't know.

Not sure if this is true, but maybe it's related to how much faster IT moves relative to other technologies. People tend to get stuck in their generation, they become reluctant to move on and try the newer stuff. For example you might get attached to a certain language or program that you've been using for 10+ years, when most other people have moved on to other stuff.

That doesn't mean you can't keep up at older age, you easily can just like anyone else, but you have to motivate yourself and stay very active / try out all the new stuff and don't cling to clearly out-dated concepts.

I think the issue that most hiring managers have the expectation that older engineers would have made their way to management. Most of the project managers and people managers I've worked with have been 35yo+. Most of the engineers I've met 35yo+ tend to be underachievers and resistant to learning new tech.

Because it requires basically no education to became an average programmer.
When people can be trained that cheaply everyone is worthless.

>not getting a sysadmin job resetting passwords
Enjoy getting fired.

programming is begin see for managers as factory line, just waiting for new and young employers.

And new programmers are doom to repeat same mistakes until retire at 30~ y.o

IT is a meme

What about a 32 year old student who decided to go back to school and is oh so eager to learn them new fangled tecknawlogieees?

>They are now getting booted
Sweetest feeling in the world. Fuck people who want to work in the industry and don't ever improve. Personally know a guy who's been a developer for 14 years and still writes naive, first semester of college tier code.

Attached: 23z1ikjsd5f11.jpg (640x1193, 96K)

Also, I think some IT specialties hire older/more experienced employees. Security, Incident Management, Product/Program/Project Management.

The assumption is that older employees are more mature and might exercise better judgement under stress.

Your codebase, your peril.

because they can get away with it

This really depends on the field and the location
Almost all sysadmins and networking guys I've met were older than 40

>How come IT is the only profession that shuns people over the age of 30?
I don't think it's true in civilized countries

might be the way older people are less likely to change. with an industry that changes often its hard for older people to change with it. not because "old people are dumb and slow" but because of other reasons