/fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Welcome to /fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Windows and share their experiences.

This is NOT Windows vs any other OS thread.
*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Windows Thread ***

Tell us about tools, utilities, configs, tips and tricks that make your life with Windows (more) bearable (or even pleasant).

>Choosing, downloading, installing, activating windows / office
rentry.co/fwt

>LTSC 2019 ISO optimization & debloating
rentry.co/ltsc_optimized

>recommended windows software (infograph)
s1.desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/g/image/1562/46/1562467997749.png

>windows 7 updates to avoid
pastebin.com/a1htBUby

previous thread:

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

askwoody.com/2019/microsoft-still-hasnt-acknowledged-the-bugs-in-last-fridays-win10-1903-cumulative-update/
mpv.io/manual/master/),
iamscum.wordpress.com/guides/videoplayback-guide/mpv-conf/
github.com/kkkgo/LTSC-Add-MicrosoftStore
github.com/stax76/mpv.net
download.microsoft.com/download/0/6/3/06365375-C346-4D65-87C7-EE41F55F736B/7601.24214.180801-1700.win7sp1_ldr_escrow_CLIENT_PROFESSIONAL_x64FRE_en-us.iso
github.com/stax76/mpv.net/issues/81
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

askwoody.com/2019/microsoft-still-hasnt-acknowledged-the-bugs-in-last-fridays-win10-1903-cumulative-update/

I want to nakadashi nanami chan

help

Attached: what do.png (1045x537, 23K)

Sorry for making a confusion. I was pretty absorbed in setting up everything and forgot an important detail. After thinking about what happened i remember better.

The first time i had run w10ui i forgot to install the adk but my system already had dism but no oscdimg on it. So dism was detected and it ran and updated my extracted iso. Then i figured out that it updates the extracted folder. But that won't work with the ltsc optimization script.
After installing the adk i rerun the w10ui but this time after it altered my extracted iso folder it output the iso for that in the w10ui folder.

You want to point the ltsc optimization script to the iso located in your w10ui folder. not the extracted iso. the name changed to "Win10_17763.615_x64_2019-09-03.iso" current date is in the name. Put the path of that iso file in the sourcepath field in the start.cmd file for ltsc optimization and make sure you have ltsc optimization script in a short file path near the root directory.

I hope that works for you guys.

Nanamichans ricing page is ded
Well i want to kill myself

Attached: IMG-20190903-WA0026.jpg (217x264, 7K)

I want to nikubenki touko chan

i will try that, thanks

Are you me?

Someone help please.

Attached: Capture.png (1743x457, 101K)

>This is NOT Windows vs any other OS thread
Not even against itself?

Attached: --madobe-nanami-and-madobe-tooko-os-tan-windows-10-and-windows-7-drawn-by-cyber-cyber-knight--944c4f (800x555, 202K)

check previous thread

The advice in the previous thread did not help, I've checked the archives and none of the advice there helped, other than wait until the whole thing is done and accept the fact that I won't be able to disable a couple things.

I just won't be autistic about it and live with the error messages, unless someone has a fix that doesn't involve disabling indexing/av.

try it in a different device
I couldnt get it to work on my laptop no matter what I tried but it worked right away on my desktop without me changing anything, idk what would cause that

This is a pretty common error message desu. try googling for "the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" "powershell script" There should be some solutions or some stuff you can try.

Yeah, I'll try it on my other PC, hopefully it works.

just came back to windows 10 from manjaro kde. linux caused me to lose data twice now. cant have that.

It's not like there's ever been a linux update that caused you to lose all your user profile data. Your case was surely user error.

>Your case was surely user error.

im sure it was too. after all computers dont make mistakes. however i didnt have these probs with windows.

I've tried it on three different computers so far, all running different versions of windows. Nothing has worked and I've got the same errors every time. I've been at this all day long.

I've checked previous threads, I've found nothing that works. I've tried using resmon, but I have no idea what file is even being accessed wrongly. I've disabled AV, indexing, I've googled the error codes, nothing at all works.

If anyone else has any tips, I'm really desperate.

Neither did I, even with the 1809 update. But then again, I don't randomly download files called delete_win10_botnet.txt.cmd.reg.exe and fuck with my registry.

>after all computers dont make mistakes
Sure they don't. But microsoft devs do. If that were the case, it would not be user error, but developer error.

>but I have no idea what file is even being accessed wrongly
It's the folder where the Windows image is mounted. I had a quick look through the script, and it doesn't seem it actually tells the user what $InstallMount is - but you should find it in your dism logs.
Suffice it to say, anything touching that folder or any of the files in it (this is where resmon comes in) is probably the culprit.

So I'm seeing from resmon that wimserv.exe is accessing the folder. Will I fuck up my PC if I end that task?

Thank you for your help this far.

>computers don't make mistakes
I've seen a processor throw an exception on xor eax,eax.
You wouldn't believe it if you didn't see it yourself.
It never did it again either.

No, but it will fuck up what you're doing right now.
You see, that's actually the service that mounts Windows Image files.

Attached: meh.ro12377.png (448x478, 398K)

What have you done to ensure your favorite version is still with you, even into the future?
>My XP, running on X99

Attached: best windows.png (1920x1080, 595K)

Okay. So if that's the only service that's accessing the folder, nothing else, then am I just fucked?

I have not the beginning of an idea how to help you then. The only thing I can think of is a device driver - or other something resmon can't track - is holding the folder/file(s).

Attached: 1565764122291.jpg (400x392, 25K)

Just checking - you HAVE sorted your Associated Handles output name, so it's not just the $InstallMount folder you can see, but all subfolders, files, etc? And you've also verified it's not being accessed by some crazy NT namespace name like \\?\Volume{212555376-1234-4567890}\InstallMount?

I don't see output name under Associated Handles, only handle name, so I'm not sure how to sort it.

The only services that are accessing anything is wimserv.exe and explorer.exe

Attached: BptVE1JIEAAA3dT[1].jpg (600x405, 23K)

>explorer.exe
>explorer.exe
>why tf is it always explorer.exe
Close any File Explorer that are anywhere near $InstallMount. In fact, close all File Explorer windows - full stop.

Attached: 1547048781447.gif (250x188, 1.85M)

I've already tried that - twice. I ran it with everything closed, no other process was running at all, still I had the same error on two different machines.

I want touko to stomp my balls

Attached: DKPVndQVwAA7gD7.jpg_large.jpg (1217x2048, 141K)

Attached: 1566516314732.gif (320x240, 1.59M)

ive been using mpc-hc with madvr for the longest time, do i ''need' to use the k-lite codec pack version

nah, anything is p much fine, k-lite is just bunch of tools packed together and autoconfigured to be good for the avg user

You "need" mpv. Directshow is shit and deprecated

i see, thanks

im a brainlet who doesn't want to bother with configuring mpv
what makes it that great anyway?

The keyboard shortcuts and performance are great. Very simple to configure and write scripts to do whatever you want. You can use any ffdshow filters straight from ffmpeg.
When you're using mpc-hc and madvr, you're literally using crude ports of stuff like ffmpeg/libavcodec (LAVfilters) and libass (xysubfilter) to the shitty depecrated DirectShow framework. MPV just uses these technologies natively.

One of the really nice features out of the box that I like is easily taking screenshots with/without subtitles. s takes a screenshot with subtitles, S takes a screenshot without subtitles. You don't have to turn them off or anything, it just works out of the box. And there's no bullshit like with madvr where you have to turn off enhanced subtitle quality to even get subtitles to show up in your screenshot at all. Everything just works out of the box.

>who doesn't want to bother with configuring mpv
Unlike madvr, there is actually very little you need to configure to get good settings despite what you hear. For the vast majority of users all you need to do is put profile=gpu-hq in your mpv.conf file and its already setup to do basically the same things madvr did which may have required manual effort of fiddling with different settings to get it all to work well. It also uses significantly less resources because the video player isn't a hack together of various different components trying to get them to work together as opposed to these things being implemented natively.

The user scripts for it are really great as well since you can get ones for like making webms right in the video player or making cropped screenshots.

what you said is also applicable to mpv.net, i assume? is .net having a gui the only difference between the two and is there a wiki/guide for configuring mpv?

>what you said is also applicable to mpv.net, i assume
I have no idea since I don't use mpv.net, not sure abotut the other user. I suspect the keyboard shortcuts would be missing or completely different. I like the simplicity of mpv's osc and keyboard shortcuts.

>is there a wiki/guide for configuring mpv
It has a man page (mpv.io/manual/master/), all options can be put on the command line or in your configuration file. There are a couple of other manuals for stuff like lua scripting as well.

>mpv.net
Looks like its just a fork
>Very high degree of mpv compatibility, almost all mpv features are available
More than likely, this is just ~another~ attempt at throwing a gui on mpv for no real reason and won't stay up-to-date with the latest mpv. You can use it, but there is no real advantage to it since mpv doesn't need a gui. If for some some reason you want something like a rightclick menu that lets you select your sub track instead of just hitting your shortcut key there is a high probability there is already a user script for it.

>guide
If you don't want to read the man page the other user linked you could try looking at other peoples configuration files or things like iamscum.wordpress.com/guides/videoplayback-guide/mpv-conf/

is the CCMaker download fine? the hashes don't seem to match up
has anyone downloaded adobes software from team OS hkrg, i would like an opinion on them

Updated paste. changelog:
- Added link on how-to for adding features to POSReady 7
- Changed 10 Enterprise to 10 Education for recommended edition (they are essentially the same, Education has ads in start menu default-disabled)
- Recommending x86 smv over native arch, x64 sometimes randomly breaks
- Updated business editions link to August update
- Added section on verifying ISOs
- Added section on preparing install media
- Updated WOTOK and OfficeRTool mirrors
- Added a warning about Office 365 not supporting LTSC

solidfiles link from the mirror match up against the ones in the pastebin.
are you sure you hashed the 7z and not the files inside?

>More than likely, this is just ~another~ attempt at throwing a gui on mpv for no real reason and won't stay up-to-date with the latest mpv.
Sounds about right to me. Look at the author's last post on doom9
>I'll try not to code for a time so this might be the last release this summer.
>I have to admit that I want to spend less time coding or even quit coding altogether but it's a long term goal and I might change my mind.

And look at his github readme:
>The player does not contain any feature that was more work than 1-2 days or was difficult to build, the hard parts are totally covered by libmpv.
>Due to mpv.net being my first WPF app and mpv.net never meant to be a large application best practices and design pattern are not always applied.
Maybe look into existing guis like smplayer or whatever if you absolutely need a gui. But the OSC is plenty.

Good to see you're still alive, OOP.
Holy shit, you're a tripfag I don't want to kill on sight. What is this world coming to?

All I want for Christmas is
>-Added bulletproof way of beating "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" error

dism.log should tell you which file is being used by another process.

Who knows which hardware backdoor you might have triggered by pure chance?

any software you guys would recommend that isn't on the infograph?

I do a lot of Windows admin, so I always have a good selection of Sysinternals and NirSoft utilities on my UFD. Hard to go past.

I don't know why windows doesn't work for me, maybe because I was not attracted by clippy or the little dog.

How do I become a windows admin? Is it easier and more profitable than RHCE?

Probably not. Just Werks(TM) is a double edged sword.

Do you think Nanami is a comfy women?

>don't want to use home/pro because they're bloated
>but need some store apps that you don't get anywhere else

We have you covered, famalam.
github.com/kkkgo/LTSC-Add-MicrosoftStore

Kek

Shit, didn't know that existed, thank you very much!

I have the exact same problem user.
I've tried literally everything and I still get the Error messages.
There's definitely something wrong with the script.

Attached: 010.png (374x376, 178K)

Thinkpad user here, I'd love to upgrade to 10 but the Lenovo Power Manager doesn't work on it, and in its place is a piece of bloat with features I do not require. What do?

Yeah
How do I set the battery to charge only to 80% without that piece of shit vantage crap?

After windows 7, I am finally going loonix and just be done with it.
I am so sick and tried of uninstalling certain updates, running privacy scripts, and other pain in the ass measures just to get windows to respect your privacy.
I wish windows 10 just charged me monthly fees for opting out of this faggotry then I would really have no reason to.
/blog
peace out

nah that's normal, this is the same as why you sometimes can't unmount your pendrive before removing because some mysterious program uses it. avs, search indexer and whatnot are usually the culpits

I've turned off indexing, uninstalled any and all AV, closed all explorer windows and it still doesnt help.

At this point I've spent so long at it that I'm just wondering what negative effect really will come of having those two error messages. Like, will it be something that I even notice after I'm done.

I've run it in the VM and it seems fine. I'm pretty sure it only missed the enabling and disabling of Windows features which can be done in the live version with zero problems and the unattend.xml which is only responsible for skipping a bunch of post-install setup steps.
Only those three things appear to be different (counting the disabling and enabling of the features as two steps). Three errors, three things that are different from what's supposed to happen.
I get the feeling that it's not much of a problem.

That seems alright to me. So KMS_VL_ALL still works, all the registry changes are still there?

Seems that way

Well, maybe this is my lesson to learn. I'm not autistic enough to fix everything, and that's alright. I'll still try the script again on a friend's PC today, but if it doesn't work I'll make my peace with it.

booomp

mpv.net is the only front-end that is close to regular mpv in minimalism. It already has better keybindings by default, a context menu and optional gui for the config and input. Latly yu can download a version with an actual installer or use the portable one. The purpose of mpv.net is to give newcomers an out-of-the-box experience.

Attached: mpvnet.png (256x256, 8K)

Is it normal for a stick of ram to still be available in cpuz and memtest86 but not recognize by windows? I have two sticks of DDR3, each is 4GB. One of them apparently has died since if I try to boot the pc with just that stick it gives no signal to the monitor. Cpu-z still sees the slots occupied with the correct information, memtest86 and windows memory diagnostics gave no errors.

Attached: 904334.jpg (1024x808, 310K)

windows can mark and ignore faulty memory, but the memtest86 thing is weird, it should've thrown error on it.
make sure you have x64 windows? not much other ideas

Hey Guys,

Can you help me out, im trying to buy licenses for a windows server
9EM-00653
Microsoft Windows Server 2019 - License - 2 Core - Voume - Microsoft Open Licenses - Single Language - PC

im being quoted $123.00 for 16 of them for a total of about 2000

can someone explain to me what this means, and why i need 16?

Here is your answer. mpv.net is the best way to use mpv for newcomers.
github.com/stax76/mpv.net

Attached: mpvchad_vs_madvirgin.png (1872x936, 249K)

It's Windows 10 64bit ofc. For some reason, it sees all the ram in system properties.

Attached: Annotation 2019-09-04 225658.jpg (483x107, 18K)

So last thread start asking how to get windows 7 in 2000+19. Someone posted this link..
download.microsoft.com/download/0/6/3/06365375-C346-4D65-87C7-EE41F55F736B/7601.24214.180801-1700.win7sp1_ldr_escrow_CLIENT_PROFESSIONAL_x64FRE_en-us.iso
I don't care about avoiding the bot net, but after downloading it I realized something. I dont have a key. Will this download work without a key?

See mpv.net author stax76:
>I'll try not to code for a time so this might be the last release this summer.
>I have to admit that I want to spend less time coding or even quit coding altogether but it's a long term goal and I might change my mind.

>The player does not contain any feature that was more work than 1-2 days or was difficult to build, the hard parts are totally covered by libmpv.
>Due to mpv.net being my first WPF app and mpv.net never meant to be a large application best practices and design pattern are not always applied.

>did a fresh install of W10 Pro on some work laptops this afternoon
>W10 update process no longer pulls in drivers
>literally have to go manually locate synaptic, intel, and a handful of other shitbird drivers for various dell, hp, and lenovo laptops
Alright microsoft employees, what's going on?

stax76 already confirmed that the next release will be this weekend. He is keeping the player as minimal as possible. He does not add anything that is not implemented in regular mpv. He mostly fixes things that do not work in mpv.net, which are frivolous for the majority of cases. The project still is free and open-source. Even if he stops maintaining it, someone else can fork mpv.net and continue development.

Attached: Terminal.png (2798x1502, 1.3M)

>someone else can fork mpv.net and continue development.
But nobody will because it's got a super tiny user base. Just look how short the doom9 thread is. Despite your shilling, the userbase is tinyand insignificant.
And even if someone can maintain it, the foundation is rotten because "best practices and design pattern are not always applied."

I've noticed their webfront was slow af today. Not sure it's related, but could be.
>t. fellow worthless IT peasant

>the foundation is rotten because "best practices and design pattern are not always applied."
nice buzzwords. I bet you did not even looked at the code.

Attached: mpvnetplayer.png (983x598, 19K)

What buzzwords? I'm literally quoting stax76.

>stax76 already confirmed that the next release will be this weekend
You can't just say this and not provide a source.

Why is windows running defragmenter on this SSD laptop? What else is it doing anyway?

Attached: IMG_20190905_051726_1_1.jpg (1000x1223, 236K)

Yes. The same dev that made staxrip and is proud that mpv.net is like 600 lines of code.

here is your source, user.
github.com/stax76/mpv.net/issues/81

i fucked up and installed adobe cc 2019 through ccmaker, i hate myself so much

>not using affinity photo

bitcoin miner probs
I had one in my pirated copy of windows. it was like built into the system.

using more than just photoshop, plus cant afford affinity because third worlder

GNU/fag here, is it possible to make the system boot to just a powershell window as opposed to running explorer.exe?

No, there's no way to use Windows without a GUI. Really sucks because I would love to switch to a TTY when the GUI gets frozen, but it's impossible.

Shame, I recall being able to force desktop to close on launch in earlier versions and have specific programs open in place of that.

I'm using the Optimize-Offline script, and I see this message. What should I do?

Rebuilding and Exporting Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC using Solid compression.
Optimizing the Windows Media File Structure.
Missing the required efisys_noprompt.bin bootfile for ISO creation.
Finalizing Optimizations.
Optimize-Offline completed in [48] minutes with [0] errors.
Press any key to continue . . .

Attached: Capture.png (1188x290, 25K)

My windows key on the keyboard doesn't work at all. I've tried every solution I could find online, but I haven't tried restoring from image because I never created a restore point. Version is win10. Is factory resetting the only solution?