Why is this piece of software just so fucking shit in every single aspect

why is this piece of software just so fucking shit in every single aspect

Attached: cmdwindows.gif (669x338, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Microsoft/Terminal
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's not though. I'm starting to like it desu, even without WSL it's a least solid.

Attached: webDevAssembly.png (506x662, 205K)

My friend that uses windows wanted help setting up a router because he always sees me using a terminal on linux
I wanted to kill myself after finally managing to figure it out. It's just so... uncomfortable. No wonder I had a phobia of terminals when I first came to linux

I use it with busybox-w32, it really shows that all cmd.exe needs is something like the GNU coreutils.

What's wrong with cmd.exe? Way faster than PS.

Care to share what you use the most from coreutils?

Attached: moar.jpg (347x347, 33K)

That's the only decent part of Windows.

so you are saying windows is horrible?

why are you shit in every single aspect?

It's hheavily influenced by MS-DOS, whuch in turn was influenced by MS BASIC.
Bash + GNU are still good today, because their ancestors, Bourne shell + UNIX were proffessional tools made for and by scientist to use on (for the time) very powerful computers. Microsoft made tools for hobbyists and later businessmen, and their underpowered 6502s aand later 8086s. Most of those only ever used the shell/command prompt for launching software from a floppy, so there was no reason for it to capable of much more.

Well, it is.

The PDP-11 was by no means powerful for its time. The 8086 was more powerful from the outset, and the 80286 much more so.

it has a great typeface

I guess MS are just prioritizing their window manager.

The 6502 would have absolutely shit all over your (for the time) very powerful computers.
Just saying.

I use it to impress normies
>windows key + r
>'cmd'
>'color 02'
>'tree'
>crack knuckles and lean back
>"i'm speaking with the machine"

Attached: cool_guy.png (60x60, 3K)

My version was similar, but to type some huge log file - dism.log is a good choice.

Attached: knowyourmeme-smuganimeface.jpg (414x459, 18K)

Just use cygwin bro

Cygwin is slower than a wet weekend. It also really prefers to have a Unix-like filesystem structure for a decent environment/experience.

You can't compare the PDP-11 with the 6502 and 8086 without accounting for the decade between them. Remember this was the 70s. Back then, 10 years of progress meant more than a few pluses added to your processor technology node.
A better, but still not perfect comparison would be the Altair 8800 (and its intel 8080) which had only about half a decade advantage over the PDP-11.

>You can't compare the PDP-11 with the 6502 and 8086 without accounting for the decade between them
Why not? You're doing an apples-to-apples comparison of the software - suddenly it's wrong to apples-to-apples the hardware?

github.com/Microsoft/Terminal

Is a replacement for conhost - not cmd, bash or PS.

potato potato

More like cmd.exe PS.

They made cmd and COM from dos experience
they made Powershell from Linux/Unix experience, give it a whirl, it's very rich but you might find it's a little different until you realize you are piping and handling C# objects and not bitstreams.

The point being that there's literally no reason that 8086-based computers couldn't have just run Unix from the outset.

because nobody uses it

That still doesn't mean that the PDP-11 was powerful for its time. There's a ton of comments in early Unix commentary of how deeply aware Thompson and Ritchie were of the deep limitations of the hardware. Unix was very explicitly design to be a lean system, and there's zero reason why early microcomputer software couldn't have been as good.