Is it possible to secure an XP VM enough to use it online for a bit of nostalgia...

Is it possible to secure an XP VM enough to use it online for a bit of nostalgia? Want to relive my younger days just a little.

Attached: Windows XP Professional.png (500x500, 87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

msfn.org/board/forum/34-windows-xp/
download.microsoft.com/download/6/3/6/636E5B38-EA04-4F25-A059-CA6EDF773F79/POSready2009_CD.iso
xpbrowsers.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Of course it's possible, although it's better to ask this kind of questions in these boards msfn.org/board/forum/34-windows-xp/

It secure

>VM
already secure

snapshot the VM at installation and revert back to snapshot every time you use it. should be relatively secure unless there are major virtualization breaking bugs being exploited.

This but use "differencing disk" mode

Obligatory

Attached: common_sense.png (867x1054, 568K)

kek windows xp fags still exist
xp was snappier and less bloated than 7 i'll give you that

You can try
There is ISO if you don't know where to download
download.microsoft.com/download/6/3/6/636E5B38-EA04-4F25-A059-CA6EDF773F79/POSready2009_CD.iso
It requires Evaluation Key so google it

Do you want use it online for what?
Browsing? No mainstream browser support
There is few good forks xpbrowsers.com/
P2P?
Old games?
Game server?

You should tweak A LOT of hidden TCP/IP gimps like limited half-open and Tcp1323Opts and SACKOpts

Also you should disable all port it listening

And forget about IPV6

What a stupid post. Exactly how much common sense is required to install and configure firewalls and differencing disks for virtual machines running16 year old operating systems? I'm sure it's common knowledge after all and every man on the street knows it but help us out user

Attached: ALIVE!.png (1280x1024, 197K)

If it's nostalgia you're after, get a used period-correct laptop. They're all dirt cheap now. Buy one and install XP Black. It is XP professional with the unofficial service packs and all of the POS ready updates. It's still very useable in this day and age.

kill yourself you dense faggot

Bad idea
Laptops slow
Old laptops slower
Old Intel Atom laptops which not affected by Meltdown even more slower

VM is nice idea in that case
Nobody buys super old laptops for DOS. Right?

Attached: slowbro_by_michelle_miranda-d65hgen.png (1024x780, 324K)

The days of getting malware as soon as you connect to the web with XP are long since past. That hasn't been a problem since service pack 1. Do what said, and you're golden. XP is still my daily driver after all of these years, but I do use Ubuntu for certain software that flat out won't work with XP.

Attached: XP09042019.png (1280x1024, 146K)

MyPal is nice, but I prefer RT's NewMoon builds.

Attached: NM.png (629x253, 80K)

will this save me when legit installers, software, websites, and browser extensions get infected with malware?

Why are there so many retards on Jow Forums apparently running without firewalls, or completely ignorant of them in general? It's legitimately fucking sad to see so many people here with grandma-tier perspectives on computer security.

Attached: 1561265171241.jpg (1536x2048, 342K)

Is that a pig snout or a peepee

Firewalls are a meme. NAT is good enough unless you're running a server, at which point iptables is adequate for basically everything.

You sound like the kind of person who installed OpenWRT once because you heard it mentioned on Jow Forums, and now continue to promote your personal "firewall" despite not knowing what it does. What shit are you running on your home computer that you expect to be vulnerable to script kiddies blindly scanning ipv4? Just keeping non-essential ports closed should be good enough for anybody just browsing the internet

Why is WinXP still so comfy? It's just... perfect. Nothing missing, nothing redundant. Everything is where it should be.

>XP is still my daily driver after all of these years, but I do use Ubuntu for certain software that flat out won't work with XP.
I have it exactly the other way round.

Yes, because it forces you to start using a Free OS like OpenBSD

Y'all are exactly the kind of functionally illiterate retards I'm talking about. Any shitty consumer router nowadays has a basic firewall built-in that's perfectly adequate for protecting your nostalgia boxes from the extremely occasional wasted botnet attack.

Although you both apparently try way too hard, not everything related to security requires you to play pretend sysadmin and never shut the fuck up about it.

You can pop out of a VM

>Calls people illiterate
>Has no reading comprehension
Pottery. Get an adult to explain the posts you replied to. You'll find out they are in agreement with you.

The second poster I quoted was definitely an illiterate fucktard seething about shit nobody mentioned, but I do agree that I didn't really need to lump in the first reply with him.

>Just keeping non-essential ports closed should be good enough for anybody just browsing the internet
completely agrees with
>Any shitty consumer router nowadays has a basic firewall built-in that's perfectly adequate for protecting your nostalgia boxes from the extremely occasional wasted botnet attack.

It seems like the only person who disagrees with you is the post that said
>Why are there so many retards on Jow Forums apparently running without firewalls

NAT is not a security feature.

Yes, in lab scenarios. There is literally zero documented cases of VM escape occurring in the wild except agent state actors. You're fucking fine running old software in vms.