Between Chromebooks, MacOS, advancements in GNU/Linux (proton, easy to use distros etc), and smartphones/tablets...

Between Chromebooks, MacOS, advancements in GNU/Linux (proton, easy to use distros etc), and smartphones/tablets, can this fucking thing die yet?

Attached: 0425-primary-100653509-large.jpg (580x388, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pandasauce.org/post/linux-fonts/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_UNIX_Specification#Currently_registered_UNIX_systems
howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/
9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nope, people want things that just werk and don't cost an arm and a leg and can do more than launch chrome and its web apps.

Pretty much this and windows LTSC + WSL has effectively made standalone linux obsolete even for power users who are too dumb to learn powershell (ie me).

>GNU/Linux
Still can't match Windows TrueType font rendering. No one wants to stare at blurry text all day until their eyeballs bleed.

pandasauce.org/post/linux-fonts/

>Chromebooks
Complete and utter shit specs. All data stored in cloud. Bigger botnet than Microsoft Windows.

>smartphones/tables
Are you a brainlet or a tranny?

Windows will never die unless Linux gets decent font rendering.

I tried linux once, FL Studio and VST's were broken, VirtualDJ with virtual audio driver didn't work either.

If those 2 things would work on linux, I would switch by now.

Windows font rendering is ugly dogshit
macOS is where it's at

No because one word.

Excel.

Too bad the hardware its on keeps violently detonating into fireballs of aluminium shrapnel at random and without warning. You can actually get arrested for bringing a macbook on a plane now.

Attached: 1546284772065.png (1188x953, 713K)

Unironically this.

Please tell me a single use case of WSL

>not using MacType on Windows

This. OS 10 is by far the best. True POSIX compatible Unix and mostly free software. It's the patrician choice.

Bash and linux programs I guess. Though I tend to use BAT scripts and windows binaries anyway.

People don't use Linux because it's trash.

Attached: muh freedom.png (1301x424, 103K)

>People don't use Linux
More personal use computers run Linux than Windows.

Virtually no programs work on WSL
Play a mp3 in cmus in WSL you'll see how much of a pain it is to get anything other than neofetch to work

>gnu/Linux is a broken heavily fragmented OS unsuitable for use as a desktop OS
What else is new?

Why would you want it to die? I'd rather they fix it.

Because it is malware.

Ok retard nice extrapolation if you don't use WSL stop shilling it

Then they should remove the malware. A rewrite from scratch without any ads/store/cortana/telemetry/forced updates/etc. bullshit. If they face enough competition, they'd do it.

No, Windows will never be free software. Then Microsoft would lose their monopoly on retards.

The important part from linux is already on windows. At this point desktop distros of linux are just glorified desktop ricing programs. Things like RHEL are still very useful for servers tho.

>The important part from linux is already on windows.
And what would that be?
Please be specific

lol shilling retard

It doesn't have to be free (gasp). Not every proprietary software is automatically shit.

Windows is the only OS that's not:
gimped and cloud dependent like ChromeOS
a walled garden like MacOS
forcing you to compromise one way or another like a linux distro

It just werks out of the box and it's friendly to both casuals and power users alike as far as they choose to get involved. Older versions used to be genuinely good and would've been almost universally liked if they maintained them, like imagine an up-to-date XP. They just need to fix the recent shit, but a real alternative needs to be competitive enough to give them a reason to.

Anyway the LTSC distro of Windows 10 can have it's telemetry set to 0 (security) and can further be reduced by disabling windows defender and compatibility telemetry. All through windows group policy in like 1 minute max and never have to touch it again. Best part you only get security updates, no BETA untested "features" nobody asked for.

Not shilling btw, microsoft HATES anyone using LTSC, they even talk shit about it despite them being the authors of it.

>a walled garden like MacOS
macOS is less of a walled garden than Windows.

WRONG

t. ex macbook """""pro""""" user who had to bootcamp windows 7 to get BASIC tasks done

How is it a walled garden? macOS is just Unix.

I think the main problem is that you shouldn't have to go through all this extra crap to decrap Windows 10 in the first place. One of the factors that lead me to going to linux from windows 7 instead of going to 10. There were others of course.

The mount of hand holding is insane. It's a BOTCHED frankenstein unix clone at BEST.

Agreed, I would have become a freetard too if I never would found out about LTSC desu.

>The mount of hand holding is insane
Such as? Be specific for once. It isn't a clone, it is Unix.

Ok nice diversion now please answer

itoddler BTFO

Attached: 1533202303940.gif (1200x1200, 2.7M)

cry some moar retard

Attached: file.png (1125x546, 41K)

Well I consider having to find a special version also part of that, and there's some disadvantages to getting that. But yeah I dunno if I would consider myself a "freetard" in that I have a mix here of stuff that's not considered "free" as in freedom like Steam and the more "free" stuff like Libreoffice. I'm not that dedicated.

Finder has no option to show hidden files, must execute a terminal command and kill finder
No preview of program windows when hovering over the dock icons
Filesystem isn't case sensitive.
SIP in general.

Also mac OS will never be unix no matter how much you say. It is an abomination of an OS somewhat based on unix, unix-like AT MOST.

see

Especially SIP, I would rather drag my balls through a mile of broken glass than EVER have to deal with that piece of shit ever again.

Attached: Screenshot_20190514152347_Instagram.jpg (1079x1151, 464K)

>Finder has no option to show hidden files, must execute a terminal command and kill finder
It can be done easily with a terminal command, takes 5 seconds to do. I don't see how that is preventing you from doing anything.
>No preview of program windows when hovering over the dock icons
Then install hyperdock. I don't see how this is an example of a walled garden.
>Filesystem isn't case sensitive.
Like most of the popular filesystems.
>SIP in general.
Then disable it.
>Also mac OS will never be unix no matter how much you say. It is an abomination of an OS somewhat based on unix, unix-like AT MOST.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_UNIX_Specification#Currently_registered_UNIX_systems
Fucking stupid wintoddler.

Why would people waste time on Linux? There's a reason governments, institutions and business gave up on desktop Linux years ago.

notOP but to be honest I would be ok if linux just had "enough" to where stuff was not a big deal for companies to support it. I don't know what that market threshold is, but not being the majority is ok with me. Let people have options

Can Chrome OS die? We just switched to these things at work and they’re terrible. Last night I had access to someone else’s private data.

>disable SIP
>nothing just werks™ anymore
nah, give me that mille of broken glass instead

Attached: 445577437.png (264x200, 25K)

Probably because you're too stupid to use Unix. Stick with your toy OS, gamer.

Ok thank you for evading every question I've asked you.
Just tell me have you ever used WSL and what have you used it for because it seems to me as if you've never done more than install it to run htop

Whatever you say, peter puffer. I'm an adult with real world responsibilities that just needs to get things done and move on with my life. I don't have time to deal with all the hand holding mactards go through every day just to do basic tasks.

You're bitching about not having your hand held in macOS right now. How stupid are you? Oh right, you're a tripfag and a wintoddler. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

>"wahhh, just deal with it"
nah, have fun with your mactrash lighting your house on fire

Attached: 97307ee965b454830b7c7362e4ff390ed0110e00077036c7f0baf1803e803f5f_1.jpg (320x281, 30K)

Mobile phones are trash, we're not talking about them. But enjoy having your hand held by big dadddy Microsoft. You are clearly too stupid to run a proper operating system.

Why non autists buy windows: Because we don't want to spend days compiling packages and hunting down compatibility modifications and special drivers to be able to do shit that allows your machine to be functional. If I'm building a PC and I use windows, I can guarantee compatibility with all my peripherals. For Linux? Even the most normified, bloated, retard proof distros like Ubuntu are not gonna provide good compatibility out of the box. I don't think I should need to be capable of writing and compiling my own drivers for my fucking wi-fi card before I use my computer.

>MacOS
Would rather use Windows desu. HANDLEs are nice.

>2029
>drive home in new apple car
>forgot if i locked it
>go out and press lock button
>alarm goes off
>can't disable it
>neighbors start coming out and staring
>spaghetti spilling out from my turtleneck
>try to get inside apple car with touchID
>forgot AppleCar X has no touchID
>try rubbing unlock gesture on door
>spaghetti sauce smearing everywhere and it doesn't work
>in tears now
>stand in front of apple car
>faceID blasts my face with headlights
>face not recognized because tears and spaghetti sauce
>consider smashing open the windows
>realize apple car has no Windows
>spaghetti flowing like a cascading waterfall
>kick apple car in absolute desperation
>door bends and pops open
>Siri: alarm system malfunction
>I FUCKING KNOW
>try to start apple car
>face not recognized, please enter apple car password
>butterfly keyboard pops out of steering wheel
>enter password
>incorrect password
>butterfly keyboard is double inputting certain keystrokes
>incorrect password
>S key won't work no matter how hard i press
>incorrect password
>in absolute tears at this point
>smash keyboard with head over and over again
>pasta sauce and tears splattering everywhere
>incorrect password
>finally just type root and press enter twice
>engine starts
>tears of agony turn to joy
>start backing out of driveway
>still feel neighbors staring
>radio playing some really annoying emo band
>turn vol to min
>press vol down again to make sure
>radio lets out massive screeching blast then silence
>Siri: radio malfunction please visit nearest Authorized National Apple Lube store
>drive 800 miles to nearest ANAL store
>yeah looks like your radio is busted
>you probably drove it wrong
>we're gonna have to replace your radio, tires, transmission, and engine
>that'll be $20,000
>leave ANAL store rubbing my sore anus
>get automated text on cuckPhone XLIIII from St. Steve
>Remember, A[?]t Just Works!
>th-thanks steve

It's funny, because Windows is far more locked down than Unix. But wintoddlers can't think in anything but stupid memes and video games.

>"YOU'RE USING IT WRONG"
oh fuck off, tim

For some people it costs a lot of money when the update starts on it's own without any warning and locks out the user for an hour.
It actually cost me less throwing the shitty windows PC out and buying a Mac than staying with Windows for another week.
You know, people who have important jobs.

So what you're basically saying is you have more money than brains?

howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

Attached: img_55ba551f0e070.png (650x461, 192K)

>complain about macOS hand holding
>"WAAAAH why isn't my hand being held?!?"
Moron.

It is, SIP is a piece of shit retardedhand holding restraint integrally required to run mac os and it's shitty software. If you disable it, everything breaks. That's mainly why I left apple trash behind and got an xps 13 (in addition to now having 32GB of RAM).

>integrally required to run mac os
No. It isn't. Seriously, are you retarded?
>If you disable it, everything breaks
You're the only experiencing this. It's because you're too stupid to use Unix and too proud to re-enable SIP. It's for people like you, but you think you're better than you are.

xps 15*

It is, you have any idea how many things break because SIP no longer does hand holding anymore? Mac OS is just a giant fucking trash heal joke of an OS.

Isn't that why apple made iPad OS? Because nobody takes macs seriously anymore and are afraid they'll blow up in their face?

I am saying the work I do is more important and worths more than constantly having to compromise with Windows. My time is more important and worths more than a single computer.
Since I got a Mac I didn't have to fix anything computer related and I can spend all my precious time on the important tasks. But a CS dropout wouldn't understand what a successful engineer does.

>It is, you have any idea how many things break because SIP no longer does hand holding anymore? Mac OS is just a giant fucking trash heal joke of an OS.
It's your own fault. Just swallow your pride and use SIP. You are too stupid to use Unix. Just accept that.
>Isn't that why apple made iPad OS? Because nobody takes macs seriously anymore and are afraid they'll blow up in their face?
xD epic memes. Fuck off back to youtube, prakesh.

The difference is you actually NEED 32 gigs of ram to run tasks as fast an 8Gb Macbook Air does.

lmao

>2006-2015
>trackpad impossible to click near upper edge
>extremely loose near bottom edge
>overall flimsy diving board piece of shit
>even applel admitted it's shit and went back to solid non-click touchpads
>still has no real buttons
>relies on pressure sensitive gimmick bullshit
>if you press too lightly or too hard it does something completely different than what you intended
>shit tier 1mm travel chiclet kb
>OSX is a steaming pile of shit with horrendous battery management
>applel's solution is to cram in a massive heavy 95WHr battery to make up for it
>even XXXTREME GAMER cancer like razer blade with 4X the CPU/GPU power and 70WHr battery matches it in battery life in same tasks
>gets BTFO by 55WHr Yoga 2 in battery life in same tasks
>the battery takes up the space where a cooling system would've been in a laptop not designed by the world's thinnest and lightest gay hipsters
>overheats constantly from abysmal crippled cooling system
>throttles to 800mhz due to chronic overheating problems
>retina meme for "pros" have have gloss mirror coating impossible to use with overhead lighting
>blurry as shit retina meme scaling
>shitbook air even worse with glossy 1366x768 TN eye cancer
>systemic battery explosion problems for over a decade

>2016+
9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
>can't use any existing TB3 devices
>can't use USB and wifi at the same time
>ultra shit tier zero travel kb
>keyboard louder than WWII cricket
>memetouch emojibar
>no USB-A
>no escape
>soldered ram
>soldered SSD
>tamper tape on battery screws
>applel falls for their own thin meme and uses 54WH battery
>2 hour battery life

howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
>it's 2017 and moving files around in finder will STILL cause massive data loss

>macshit is good
Can we finally put an end to this meme?

Funny how the wintoddler always resorts to talking about hardware in a discussion of software. Nobody gives a shit about your favourite Arab Googletuber.

No seriously, they're getting banned on train stations now not just every fucking airline.

opposite, my previous mactrash constantly kept throttling to 1GHz and running out of RAM.

>No seriously, they're getting banned on train stations now not just every fucking airline.
see No one cares about your epic memes.

stop posting

>"macshit exploding into fireballs of aluminium shrapnel doesn't matter!"

Attached: 1542768822623.webm (582x698, 2.72M)

I don't care. This is a discussion of software. But clearly you have no leg to stand on there.

see pic related

imagine THAT going off in your lap

Attached: collageeqew.jpg (4000x2100, 439K)

I don't care, wintoddler. Why are you resorting to spamming hardware crap? Does Microsoft withhold your rupees if you get BTFO too hard?

see
Basically apple has a defective OS and defective laptops they sell to dipshits like you for a huge markup and here you are praising them despite the serious nature of their defective garbage which can bring planes down killing everyone onboard.

>defective OS
Because you're too stupid to use Unix?
>they sell to dipshits
Yes, every major employer in software development is retarded. They should get Windows gaming laptops instead, right? Go back to Linus Tech Tips, kid.

Chromebooks are shit, Apple is running MacOS off a cliff, and GNU/Linux with proton can only advance so fast, and it isn't quite there yet. That is why Windows is still the leading desktop OS.

filtered. kys

This is an 18+ board, kid. Take your video game shit back to /v/ if you absolutely need to drone on about it.

abandon thread, now it just becomes a macfaggot circlejerking thread

Linux will never make it on the desktop to compete with Windows because by the time any mainstream Linux distro isn't plagued by screen tearing and driver issues, Windows will have fully consumed Linux. Apple will abandon MacOS in the future, because their laptops are becoming toys and they want iPad sales more. ChromeOS is a wild card, but Crostini is not very stable and it is highly buggy. Google could wreck shit if they really invested in Chrome/Crostini, but they are just as likely to scrap it next year so we'll see.

t. wintoddler

>be apple
>sell explosives in shitty chinese metal packages
>make trillion dollar
>some manlet repair man on youtube exposes your products
>still make trillion dollar
>baldcel nerds like luke smith on youtube and cumpad using nerds spam anime girl laughing pictures to try to meme you out of business
>absolutely ignore what your best salesman wanted years after his death and keep making stupid decisions

Attached: jobspepe.png (1100x644, 89K)

>>some manlet repair Arab on youtube exposes your products
FTFY

I'm dual booting Win 8.1 Pro + Bunsen Labs on a ThinkPad T420S, and Win 7 Pro + Lubuntu on a Precision 7510. Win 7 is obviously solid. Win 8.1 required some tweaking (and Open Shell), but it's as solid as 7 since I took care of that. The two LiGNUx distro are obviously great, and I vastly prefer them to Windows.

MS needed to stop after 8.1, take a step back, and make drastic changes in a different direction. They should have rewritten the UI with a lightweight toolkit like Qt, but they didn't. They stuck with Metro, added in more shit metro apps, added more SaaS bullshit, made the updates system intolerable OOTB, and ruined HiDPI scaling (it was perfect on 8.1). Then they loaded it up with extra telemetry. Instead of actually listening to their users, they doubled down with Metro and removing user choice.

Windows has not "just werked" since 7. 10 is fundamentally broken and buggy on every level, and 8 laid the groundwork for 10. Both 8 and 10 require massive amounts of tweaking to be made remotely usable, and with 10, you can't even *completely* disable the "features" (see: counter-intuitive UI changes, unwanted background services, triggers for those unwanted services, and flat out spyware).

The only reason to willingly use Windows past 7 is because of dependence on third party software. No joke. Whether that's shit like cad software, managerial suites, shoutcast server, or games doesn't matter. If the proprietary third party software that many people depend on under Windows was made available as native LiGNUx software, MS would bleed out. Period.

WSL is a gimmicky virtualization layer. The UI is an inconsistent, buggy, resource-intensive mess. The only variant of 10 that is remotely usable OOTB is LTSC (but you can't even fully disabled the baked-in telemetry on that), and you have to jump through so many extra hoops just to get a stable and working system that respects your chosen settings now that it's not even worth using at all.

thats literally the worst argument someone can make against linux configuration in general, merely 3 commands to find and turn off a camera is quite a achievement, also it can be used in scripts to for example turn it on and off on demand upon pressing a key

there are far bigger issues with linux than font rendering, namely driver support, a GUI for all system-settings, intuitive design that aids users who arent as autistic as us, a true alternative to MS Office, etc.

A. ChromeOS uses the Linux kernel. Android uses the Linux kernel.

B. ChromeOS is not a wild card. It will always target low-spec budget portables. Period.

C. Apple will never abandon MacOS. They make tons of money off the OS via selling the overpriced hardware it's attached to. iOS is also based on the same core that Mac OS X is (XNU + BSD, AKA Darwin).

D. Windows will never take LiGNUx's place in the server world, in the aerospace industry, and in the supercomputer / cluster world. Ever.

E. Windows can't even overtake BSD on routers and hardware firewalls, BSD on gaming consoles, LiGNUx on streaming media devices etc... Windows has three spots that it will dominate until Apple or some element of the LiGNUx community gets their shit together enough to present a serious threat: POS customers, People who literally don't know any better (including corporations, because they are people too), and Gamers.

All it would take to unseat MS is for Apple to make a few strategic changes to their business model (significantly more affordable + configurable laptops and desktops, or releasing a version of OS X with greater hardware compatibility that isn't tied to Apple machines). Alternatively, if Adobe and other massive proprietary software mills starting porting over their flagship applications to run natively on LiGNUx, MS would be absolutely fucked. If both of these things were to happen in the same time frame, Microsoft would end up like BlackBerry is now, in a matter of two or three years.

>There's nothing wrong with windows 10! just give us 100 bucks and then read all of these articles to make it behave like a normal non retarded os!
absolute state of wintoddlers

Attached: what.gif (195x229, 1.29M)

You got to hand it to microshaft, they have everyone cornered and forced to use their product no matter how bad it is because the alternatives will always be far worse.

At least LTSC with a few group policy edits makes 10 tolerable. Though it probably won't last, being able to minimize telemetry to the level LTSC can achieve (ie no cortana or windows store spyware out of the box) is really not profitable.

Attached: 1557883423577.webm (878x480, 2.68M)

Wintoddlers don't even know the group policy editor even exists. In fact MS would have removed it eons ago if not for the fact that admins and techs needs it to diagnose and fix problems on the corporate level.

>ANAL store
jej

Attached: reimu.jpg (1000x1000, 123K)

(checked)
nice fuckin dubs, faggot

>Freeturds are fine with a cloud based OS, made by one of the worst tech companies out there just because it's loonix based
And this is exactly why freeshitters can't be taken seriously, ever.

Amen

Just bought pic related, pretty comfy and there is virtually no google tracking crap unlike its Android counterpart. It also comes with Ubuntu installed, I might try that later. Also no idea why people are shitting on the keyboard I think its great.

Attached: 1.jpg (800x600, 61K)

Yup, pretty much. They never practice what they preach. It's no wonder the SJW trannies are eating them alive.

speak of the devil

>muh UI consistency
>muh software
Some bugs and UI inconsistency are a small price to pay for my devices not sacrificing me in the name of Allah.

Attached: 18d29d9fdd20af225d1035a70186de1e2afcf9ea9804f1a786f09e7c65ba0407.gif (827x926, 529K)

Ok retard