Any ball mouse purists in the same vein as mechanical keyboard fans?

Any ball mouse purists in the same vein as mechanical keyboard fans?

Attached: s-l640.jpg (640x564, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

explainthatstuff.com/computermouse.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No because mechanical keyboards are better and not just for sad nostalgia wanks. Ball mice are worse in every conceivable way

a feeling of weight,
a physicality,
that cannot be reproduced but
has to be experienced

Attached: Wieder-Voyager_002-005.jpg (720x541, 41K)

Hate to admit but this. Nostalgia has blinded me a bit because I like the idea of ball mice even though I was fucking amazed how great optical mice were when I got my first one.

I was fucking amazed how great optical mice were when I got your mom.

"weight"
get a heavy mouse you absolute fuckwit? most decent mice are heavier than ball mice
a physicality that is reproduced and better. get a zowie pajeet

> balls.txt @ usenet

Attached: mouseBalls.jpg (896x686, 106K)

There's literally nothing wrong with rubber dome keyboards. Not to mention they're cheaper and more reliable than mechanical switches. If you don't use them just because of the keypress feel, well accept my condolences about your homosexuality.

At autism levels, yeah but at least mechanical keyboards can have benefits for certain people while ball mouses are shit-tier tech.

>Not to mention they're cheaper and more reliable than mechanical switches
>cheaper
I don't care because I'm not poor
>more reliable
that's just not true

>more reliable
wrong
>cheaper
sometimes wrong
>keypress feel
that's the point of a keyboard. nobody LIKES typing on a shitty touchscreen because you get no feedback. people enjoy feedback, and membrane keyboards are mushy and feel like shit compared to mech keyboards
quit saying things are shit because your poor ass can't afford it

you realise you can get weighed mice right?

Why the fuck wouldn't you use the keyboard with the feel you prefer? Even if you're a poorfag, there is no excuse not to use hardware you actually enjoy using.

t. butterfly masterrace

Typing is actually fun on a mech keyboard, mashing out an email is enjoyable. I spent under $100 to completely change how I feel about a large portion of my day at work. I'm really sorry you're a jealous peasant but please don't shit on nice things because you can't have them

Apple fanboy tier argumentation.

>argumentation
spat out coffee, thanks for that

Just pour lead down your mouse bro

That's what large trackballs are for.

Attached: 26-125-017-13.jpg (640x480, 26K)

agree, a mechanical keyboard is definately better than screen based or the crap you get on laptops. It just feels better to type on them, more comfortable, and the clickity clackity noise is therapeutic and makes you feel like you are actually being productive.

As for ball mouse, I think I still have one lying around b ut my main driver is laser one. I think the early optical ones were bad to the point of being unusable but they have improved a lot.

Ball mice are good, but my problem with them is they tend to pick up dust and over time the dust and dirt gets trapped in the little slot. Minor problem which can be fixed with cleaning but tracking dirt does bring down performance over time so you have to clean it semi regularly.

Attached: srcBixX.jpg (1000x766, 213K)

>"nobody likes typing on touchscreens"

>"Apple fanboy tier argumentation"
do you realize how fucking retarded you sound?

Attached: k65lux.png (1311x1043, 288K)

Using this right now, true patrician input experience.

>Corsair garbage

This is some advanced level bait.

>so you have to clean it semi regularly.
I used to clean mine at least once a week.
It's all I remember from the ball mouse era.

nice argument retard except you dont have one
nice microsoft garbage
nice logitech garbage
nice (insert company name here) garbage
that's literally saying nothing. also stay mad that u cant afford a premium corsair keyboard :^))

Ball mice work well on any surface.

im seething i lost my wireless connector for this bad boy and havent got round to getting a bluetooth usb thingy

your fucking point? who the fuck uses their mouse on anything but a flat surface? if you're at your bed (you lazy fuck) you can still use it as long as you properly fixed your sheets

not him but corsair is shit and i have plenty of more expensive keyboards for example this modded HHKB i am currently typing on

nothing personal kid

Attached: trackball.jpe.jpg (600x430, 32K)

hhkb is actual dogshit lmao
they have the thinnest pbt keycaps i've ever seen and with razer-tier laser engraved lettering. topre switches are also extremely cheap to produce yet are marketed as "premium" switches here in the us.

its not my favourite keyboard that would be reserved for my tealios mech hhkb (since i genuinely think the hhkb layout is difficult to beat). I fixed the thin PBT caps by just getting a new set from kbdfans specifically the 9009 set.

No, I meant you were baiting by pretending to be in favour of mechanical keyboards while posting a bottom of the barrel chinkshit cheapo example.

corsair makes premium keyboards. give me an example of them being cheap?
and don't go with the usual "waaaah i cant handle gamer fonts" excuse.

Thin plastic everywhere. Thin ABS keycaps. Cherry (or imitation Cherry) MX switches. That's just three examples of their cheapness. All the money goes to MLG gaming LEDs and kustom macro software (required, likely malicious).

I wanna try one, should I get a thumb ball or a finger's one?

>thin abs keycaps
wrong, they're as thick as typical stock pbt keycaps you find
>cherry switches
are you retarded?
>plastic everywhere
nothing wrong with plastic, it leaves less fingerprints than aluminium and is more durable
>required
no the software isn't required
>uses the "waaah rgb" argument
for a premium board you should expect the choice to change what color your backlight should be. you're retarded to buy anything over 80$ without rgb
i deconstructed your argument, pls respond poorfag :(((((

>cherry switches
Whats wrong with cherry switches? Don't tell me you like those garbage buckling springs user.

Only one company that I know of does PBT doubleshots and it isn't Corsair.
Cherry switches are designed to be the absolute cheapest to produce mechanical switches. Even the Chinese couldn't knock much off them.
The backplate is not exposed to the user. The fact that you don't know what that is has outed you as a novice in this subject.
The software is required to get any value out of the board beyond that which could be provided by a $40 Chinese knockoff (with identical build quality because all Corsair does is rebrand Chinese crap - keyboards, headsets, speakers, mice etc. can all be found on Aliexpress without the xMLGx markup).
RGB is not inherently bad. If you had better reading comprehension than a sub-cretin you would have been able to glean that I was talking about relative budgetary priorities not absolute values.

Not the guy you are arguing with but PBT doubleshot plastic is much more expensive than ABS, is objectively a cheap solution a premium product should not use.

The Corsair keyboards are not bad but you are paying for the branding, it's not priced correctly for what you get.

>Cherry switches are designed to be the absolute cheapest to produce mechanical switches

Wut, cherry MX switches might be cheaper than more esoteric switches but not because they use more difficult production techniques or more expensive materials, it is the basic concept of high volume leading to lower cost.

Using a less used switch people don't care about doesn't make much sense.

no they aren't you absolute moron. do you have any idea of what you're talking about? producing shit in germany isn't cheap and they go the extra mile in making sure the switches are of the upmost quality.
open-board designs (what you're referring to but too retarded to know the actual name of it) attract much more dust to the bottom layer of the keyboard making them last less. try again :)))
the software does nothing but change the rgb and add macros, what the actual fuck are you talking about?
again, deconstructed everything you said without much effort. try again retard x3
i agree pbt is better, but it isn't everything. thick abs keycaps feel better to type on than thin pbt keycaps (which are 99% of stock pbt keycaps, e.g. ducky)
i have over a dozen keyboards from ikbc and ducky and none of them give me as much value nor feel as good as corsair.

>MLG gaming

Attached: i.jpg (645x773, 40K)

Economies of scale definitely play into it but I meant that the company themselves made a serious effort in designing the MX switch to fit the prevailing definition of "mechanical" at the absolute lowest cost with no regard to any other factor like typing feel, precision or sound. They were designed around the time mechanical switches were being phased out in mainstream boards.

Corsair keyboards are manufactured in China.
Backplates are not the same thing as open boards. I never even mentioned open boards; why are you fixating on them?
RGB and macros are the only thing separating a Corsair board from the unbranded Aliexpress model Corsair themselves buy.

Why are you lying to protect the prestige of a brand that provides such cheap products for such high prices? Is it some sort of post-purchase rationalization?

>the backplate is not exposed to the user
...and if it were exposed that'd be an open board you retard
aliexpress? they themselves buy? do you know where you are? are you confused?
also ducky and literally every other manufacturer produces their stuff in china. that's literally a known fact

i deconstructed ur argument again. ez :)))))
3-0
3-0
3-0
also i said i own boards other than corsair, but i assume you just didn't read that seeing as how you're this retarded.

Corsair is a good brand, shut the fuck up

A premium open board would use brushed aluminium or steel for the backplate if fingerprints were a concern. Corsair and similar "gamer" brands use plastic because it is cheaper. If you'll recall you asked me to provide examples of Corsair boards being of low quality relative to their price. This is one such example which you have yet to refute. The others still stand as well.

The feel of cleaning the rollers.
Of course preceded by the awful feel of the rollers being dirty.

steel is used on 40$ keyboards from redragon and tecware, it isn't a premium material you retard. and aluminium gives a "ping" sound. i wonder why corsair boards are known for being quiet....
also i deconstructed ur agument again, i only refuted things i was able to prove wrong. easy ;)))))))))))))

>steel is used on 40$ keyboards from redragon and tecware

And yet not on $100 Corsair boards. Hmm.

How does the ball stay on and not fall off?

Magnets.

why the fuck would I want a keyboard made of steel? The 'plastic bad, metal good' meme needs to die.

Lol, you realize that mousepads were invented because they didn't work well on a lot of surfaces, right?

>designing the MX switch to fit the prevailing definition of "mechanical" at the absolute lowest cost with no regard to any other factor like typing feel, precision or sound.

Then why do they make different versions with different feel and sound?

you realise you're trying to reason with a clinically retarded person?

I used a ball mouse until relatively recently (like 7-8 years ago) until I got a wireless optical mouse that tracks on glass. Most still don't

Cherry is grainy sandy shit.
Gaterons best for typing
Flaretechs for gayming

You might want a metal backplate on your keyboard because you value rigidity and typing feel over custom LED animations and Invoker macros. ABS is an excellent material for many things but it's not as dense or as rigid as steel or aluminium (at the thickness of a keyboard backplate). It would be just inappropriate for a manufacturer to to use chromed aluminium for the keycaps of a premium board as it would be for them to use thin ABS for the backplate.

Take a look at the animations in the /mkg/ OP. Cherry MX switches generate tactility with half a millimeter of plastic. Once the tooling is in place (and every other part can stay the same) the cost difference is negligible. As is the tactility. I'm not hating on Cherry because it's fashionable or anything, it's true I don't really like any of their MX lineup but that's beside the point, was just stating the fact that they were originally designed to be a cheap alternative to the premium products that were being priced out of the market by rubber domes at the time.

Yes. Yes I do, user.

>they were originally designed to be a cheap alternative to the premium products that were being priced out of the market

Still doesn't mean they have worse feel, sound or quality.
Just designed by efficiency loving German engineers.

They do anyway though. Because those things require attention which wasn't given. I'm thankful for Cherry keeping the mechanical keyboard alive before they became popular again but it can't be denied that the switches are cheaper than should be expected on a premium board.

This thread is so fucking autistic but I love it

shouldn't you be in school child

You sound exactly like an audiophile complaining everything isn't still glass tubes and belt drives.

MX switches are a modern design for a modern world.
Buy some obscure vintage keyboard if they aren't special snowflake enough for you.

These are so bad I blanked them from my memory.

>Modern = good

Boy do I have a juicer to sell you.

kek

MX switches were designed in the early '80s. They survived the mech board drought because they were the absolute cheapest. The market has picked up now but "premium" manufacturers seem to think we're naive enough to assume that any mechanical is good enough. They're probably right god help us.

>Any ball mouse purists in the same vein as mechanical keyboard fans?
fuck no. id rather a shotgun blast to my face than go back to using that cancerous shit.
>The market has picked up now but "premium" manufacturers seem to think we're naive enough to assume that any mechanical is good enough.
these manufacturers know just how retarded their consumer base is. they rely on making sales to idiots born yesterday.

Things are looking up. I like the look of those Hall effect switches (though the rest of the board needs to be brought up to scratch) and we can get decent quality ALPS clones. I hope one of the actual premium manufacturers sees the niche for a quality board with quality switches. I suppose Unicomp does but they really need to replace their tooling.

I was a loyal ball mouse user until I discovered the WMO 1.1A, all previous optical mice I had tried felt like unresponsive garbage. But the WMO 1.1A is actually usable, its just a shame they are so rare and not very reliable.

I use finger, I like it a lot more. The sad answer is that it's definitely personal preference, and you kind of need to try it for a week, it'll take you a day or two to get used to it. You also might not like it, some people don't, but I switched to a trackball and I enjoy it a lot more.

i picked up a NOS intellimouse for my windows 98 build. it's not on the level of optical but its better than i expected.

>mechanical keyboards

Attached: 4L_OwsmoNxd.png (800x750, 106K)

>MX switches are a modern design for a modern world.
that's objectively wrong

>lift the mouse up
>the ball flops inside and sends the pointer flying across the screen
Ball mouse is one of the old techs that I'm confident I'll never want to go back to.

Ah shit, wish I saw this before posting in the other mouse thread. Intellimouse 3.0 reporting in. I don't know a ton about this kind of hardware, but really don't see what makes optical better? I don't play FPS games so maybe there's some real nuance when it comes to those, but opticals seem universal.

Attached: 1552830506179.jpg (960x1044, 69K)

imagine playing counter strike with this

when was the last time you left your mom's basement? 2004?

Ball mice are fundamentally just another kind of optical mouse. They have a ball that spins rollers that spin wheels that actuate the optical sensors internally. Current optical mice just aim the optical sensors at the surface and read it directly to determine movement instead. They're less complex and less prone to getting gunked up by dirt, sweat, grease, cum, hair, etc. They work better on most surfaces even without a mouse pad.

Games played in the first and third person perspective actually translate pretty well to a trackball. Games that are menu driven do not however, but if the game has hotkeys it might be doable.

I use a trackball and mech keyboard

The circular indent where the ball is is actually somewhat enclosed around the ball to prevent it from falling out. You can flip the whole thing upside-down and it wont fall out. You might be able to make it go flying out if you threw it though.

Based

Rubber-dome master race

I've done both for a couple decades with a Logitech Marble Mouse. Prevents wrist problems.

used to hate optical mice, fuckers wouldn't detect motion on a lot of surfaces
modern optical mice are perfectly fine though

a classic

>make faggy ergonomic gaymer mouse with 3x lasers and nightvision
>put a ball in there just for the tactile experience
I'd buy it. You would too you hipster fucks.

Attached: This hole was made for me!.jpg (650x888, 77K)

I got a finger one but I hear you have more "precision" with the thumb one. There is a video o a professional Dota player who uses a thumb trackball.

Buy one and see, like some user said, it's personal experience.

I unironically like the Butterfly mechanism.
It's fast, comfy and (now) reliable.

Attached: mou-001_k.jpg (350x303, 19K)

you both are faggots btw

The best "mechanical" keyboard is topre as well. A fucking rubber dome.

I always thought mx switches were a new thing just because how cheap the design felt. Especially the clicky ones.

mechanical keyboard is the worst meme I have fallen for, cheapshit dell or lenovo keyboard is far better than my steelseries mech kb I bought

How come?

>Ball mice are fundamentally just another kind of optical mouse. They have a ball that spins rollers that spin wheels that actuate the optical sensors internally
you what

Attached: Diagram-of-mechanical-mouse.jpg-.jpg (319x254, 21K)

nigger what do you think translates the movement of the ball in to an electrical signal

>wheels for detecting movement in x and y directions
that's an optical rotary encoder

the absolute fucking state of Jow Forums

You see those holes in the disc attached to the roller? That is where the light shines through and measures it's movement.

Attached: computer_ball_mouse_mechanism_2005.jpg (1211x964, 161K)

this

optical mice are superior in every conceivable way.

I guess it would depend on the mouse but a lot of them use optical sensors with two wheels in different orientations, one for x and another for y. They work pretty much the same way the scroll wheel works

explainthatstuff.com/computermouse.html

Attached: how-ball-mouse-works.jpg (300x225, 12K)