/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to non-technically assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 2700 - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>AAA or multiplatform games: Radeon card appropriate for your montior
>PC centric games, VR games, or ray tracing: Nvidia card appropriate for your display
>Used RX 570s can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p 16:9
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: 1484348845011.png (1336x1336, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techpowerup.com/257201/bios-rom-size-limitations-almost-derail-amds-zen2-backwards-compatibility-promise
asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/790GX Pro.pdf
pcpartpicker.com/list/gckXmq
ebay.com/p/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-965m-Graphics-GPU-Card-N16e-gr-4gb-Mxm3-0a-Half-Size-for-8570/2196534114
amazon.com/CORSAIR-TX550M-Certified-Modular-Renewed/dp/B07RWL8TVH/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

is it worth it to upgrade to zen 2 if I had first gen ryzen? Going to pair the cpu with a 2080.

If you're not at 4K, yeah

So if I work real hard for 8 months I can afford this
I earn 180 USD a month (CLP)
I will use it primarily for Photo editing, Illustration, Videogames and some video editing

I've never done anything like that so consider me a 100% noob

Attached: file.png (1316x626, 88K)

Forgot to ask about some changes or corrections

Yes. zen and zen+ are worse than haswell in singlethreaded tasks whereas zen2 performs nearly at the level of skylake.

if by zen 2 you meant zen 3rd gen and making the jump from 1st to 3rd then yes its worth it
while 2nd gen sees a jump, its not that big compared to 1st to 3rd

I got some water on my CPU will it be OK?

why are motherboards for zen2 CPUs so trash? most of them are for zen1 with bios update for zen2 and people say they have problems making it work with anything better than r5 3600. Also the bios rom issue, since most boards are 16mb they had to remove bios code to find space to support zen2. techpowerup.com/257201/bios-rom-size-limitations-almost-derail-amds-zen2-backwards-compatibility-promise

is there any budget zen2 motherboard, not bios-updated zen1?
There is B450 Tomahawk Max, which is Tomahawk but with 32mb rom instead of 16mb, which is nice, but it's nowhere as popular as other b450 so i doubt they'll be updated, but if there is nothing better then i'll get it.

Will SATA SSDs become obsolete?
How will we mount a dozen NVME drives without blocking the view of our GPU in horizontally oriented motherboards?

How is the reliability of cheaper SSDs like Adata and Silicon Power? Should I just spend the extra $15-20 on Sandisk or WD? This is just for an HTPC.

alright i'm back for more 5700xt testing
if the sacrifice guy is here let me know

here's another sacrifice test tutorial one again
again i spin during the first portion then i run in a straight line
this time i put all settings on low but i still can't seem to hit more than 60 fps, is the game framelocked by default?

Attached: sacrifice but on low settings.png (1901x943, 157K)

I have an X470 board with a 3700X and it works fine, but it was a bit buggy in the beginning. After a BIOS update and CMOS clearing, it's working fine. In the beginning I was getting very high idle voltage (over 1.5V) and it kept BSODing when gaming for more than an hour. People keep saying that high idle voltage is normal but that is NOT true. If it were true, then why is my idle voltage low now.

The whole Zen 2 release has been a shit show. I think AMD pushed too hard to get the chips rolled out for their "7nm on 7/7" marketing and really it should have been delayed a month or two. AMD is paying the price now because people trust the brand a bit less, especially with the boost clock drama right now.

if you know you can get it paid off in 8 months anyway finance it as long as you can get a good interest rate

I'm trying to fix an old PC my brother built and I'm new to this so I'm just gonna ask here
It's got an Asrock 790GX Pro motherboard.: asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/790GX Pro.pdf
The display does not work unless the video card (which is some brand called "HIS") is removed. When you slot it back in, the HDMI ports on both the motherboard and the video card give "No signal"

Is the video card fucked and if so should I replace it or start a new PC? I can't be bothered to look into electronics recycling guidelines and I'd rather just fix this shit. I just need to be sure replacing the video card will actually fix it or if the motherboard interface itself might be broken somehow

if i just slap an RTX 2070 into this will i be good for 5 more years? or should i consider a new CPU/motherboard/ram in the next year or so?
temps are not idle and asus motherboards suck so trying to clock the ram to its normal speed results in horrible system stability at least when using the "xmp profile"

Attached: Capture.png (883x618, 47K)

wait for 3070. fuck the 2070 and 2080 only having 8gb of vram

ok but just slapping in a 3070 should do me?

Id like a computer for 3d modeling.
According to the blender website the recommended specs are 4gb videocard, 16gb of ram and a quad core processor.
My budget is $600 what should i get?

I have 3000CL15 micron E die ram (Ryzen 3600). Do I even bother with trying to mess with clockspeed/timings, or should I just leave it at XMP?

Your 6700k might start showing some serious age, especially if you run 144hz, which are starting to get cheap and popular.

An increased budget and higher expectations

The problem with XMP and Ryzen is that on some boards it just doesn't work. If turning on XMP gives you the full 3000mhz at cl15, then I see no reason to disable and manually tweak. If you find that XMP isn't giving you the proper 3000mhz/cl15, you will need to use the Ryzen dram calculator.

I screwed my cpu fan on until the screws would not turn anymore
How bad is this?
I just created metal on metal contact or damaged parts?
I'm scared to look...

alright so after the 3070 or before it if itws not coming soon ill look at a new CPU/motherboard/ram combo and no more asus motherboards thiis thing cant even enable VT-D i go into bios and swap it to enabled but it still doesnt work

you're supposed to screw things into the motherboard until you hear a crack, its a safety mechanism to ensure there's no metal on metal contact

there is a separate renderer for the game and new hardware, are you using it?

>a separate renderer for the game and new hardware
what are you referring to?

btw i also received a 3fan 2070super from EVGA to further the testing of old games vs 5700xt

if you have any other old games to submit please do

game runs on glide from what I know
there is opengl renderer for it
like dx10 renderer for deusex

how do i enable this rendered?

are you okay user? you didn't even try googling "how to run sacrifice on windows10 modern pc"?

i'm a little bit on a time constraint tho and i expect to have someone give it to me straight instead of searching for a tutorial that doesn't waste your time

>google sacrifice new renderer
>read short instruction
>install it
how more straightforward can it get?

ok nvm i changed the registery to unlock the max framerate
i have GOG version and it comes out pre patched for newer systems apparently

Does overclocking ram also increase the heat like with the cpu? Can I just leave it overclocked permanently? Don't know how any of that shit works.

my monitor is an asus vs247. what video card should i go for?

yes, and yes. Once you get it stable it should be fine. Just do a litle research into people doing the same with a similar bios etc.

>refuses to make effort for older game
>complains it runs bad

Can I just go with the xmp profiles? Based one a video that happens to use the b450 tomahawk it seems to just be a simple click.

Does the psu fan go up or down for the meshify s2? Think someone was asking about that last thread. Getting one myself so I want to know.

yeah you can do that. Compare the settings while playing games. If you notice any problems then choose a lower setting.

>1080p
anything relatively modern should do you 1660ti should be more than enough and might even be overkill

What's the bench 27 inch 1080p 144hz monitor for gaymin... priced under 250 bongs?

best***

Not that it matters what so ever, but it goes down in the Fractal cases with shrouds obviously

1080p at 27" looks rank m8. 24" should be your max.

my foot will give you a bong fuck off cunt

I have a 27 inch 1080p now and It's great. Just don't sit next to the screen.
Sounds gay. Sorry, not gay, but I have nothing against you for being gay.

According to every Linus tech tips build this is fact

what was that?
pcpartpicker.com/list/gckXmq

Hello I would like to find parts to upgrade my HP EliteBook 8570W

I would like to invest atleast 400 Eur, or about 10 000,- + CZK
I am looking for a mobile graphic card and a cooler. For now I only found ebay.com/p/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-965m-Graphics-GPU-Card-N16e-gr-4gb-Mxm3-0a-Half-Size-for-8570/2196534114

I would really love to use it for gaming, since young days I only played on things with intel celeron and intel atom, which sucked dick, but finally after I made some money I would really love to upgrade this laptop.

Any help will be appreciated

my specs are:

Cpu: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3840QM CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), - 2.8 GHz
Ram: 16384 MB
Gpu: NVIDIA Quadro K1000M

Will give more info if needed.

Doesn't the 2400g come with a cooler already?

where the FUCK is navi nitro???

Is the be quiet dark rock slim good for a 3600 or is it overpriced for what I would get? Are there better options?

agreed. I got lucky and bought my 1080ti b4 the mining craze for 680$. The fact that the 2080/2080s only has 8gb of vram is a slap to the consumer. Even the 2080ti is the same vram as the 1080ti. Because of this move on nvidia's part the 1080ti is still going for gross amounts and the 2080ti even more, which the 1080ti and 2080ti are the only reasonable cards for 4k or uw 1440 100hz+. And with 1080ti eol you're stuck buying a 2080ti.

I was hoping 3rd gen would be 18gb vram and can do 4k90hz uw1440 144hz on ultra most games but I have my doubts because of this incremental bullshit these tech companies are pulling whilst 4k144hz uw monitors could be made today if they wanted

Best case under 60-70 usd to fit ATX and mini ITX at same time?
Either my motherboard or PSU dying right now, and since i use mini ITX case, right now it's very hard to check things. So i want to change case in first place, and then think about further upgrades.

testing witcher 1 now
the settings fonts are all fucked up tho
so i can't tweak the settings properly

Attached: witcher 2019-09-05 10-23-25-73.jpg (1440x810, 229K)

Buy used if you're strapped for cash. Here's a better PSU for less.

amazon.com/CORSAIR-TX550M-Certified-Modular-Renewed/dp/B07RWL8TVH/

I wouldn't get a hard drive at all. For $70 you can get a decent 512GB SSD. The Ryzen 2600 is only $10 more, you should get that instead.

The ADATA SU800 is decent, I wouldn't go any lower than that. You can always find good SSDs on sale. I got a 1TB MX500 for $80 last week.

yep it sure doesn't look very well

Attached: witcher 2019-09-05 10-28-01-79.jpg (1440x810, 246K)

I have that in my current PC. I wouldn't recommend it because you can't rotate the fan or heat sink. The fan will either be pointed at your video card or the top of the case. You cannot point it at your RAM like a normal cooler.

What would you recommend then?

Overpriced garbage. Thermaltake Macho family coolers and Scythe Mugen/Fuma are good value and Noctua for obvious reasons.

Im going for a hyper 212 for my 3700X

here are the results
again spinning for the first part then running in a straight line

Attached: witcher1.jpg (1903x943, 224K)

I'm confused about that cooler. I see that it'll work if I have a proper bracket, but I read in the comments that people say it's not included and they have to ask the manufacturer to ship them one.

Looks pretty reasonable senpai
Why wouldn't you just keep the standard cooler?

The standard cooler gets loud sometimes.

I'm building a 5+years case so I want it to last without touching it beside cleaning. Might as well keeping it fresh.

I'd be surprised if the 212 was any more effective with noise normalised, especially with the standard cooler's direct heat pipes

The EVO 212 was my previous cooler and I didn't hear it at all.

What I'm saying is I'd be surprised if it's as effective as a cooler.

again not sure what's causing this

Attached: witcher 2019-09-05 10-52-21-46.jpg (1440x810, 410K)

>The fan will either be pointed at your video card or the top of the case
I have that same issue, at first I thought I was doing something wrong, but a looked it up, and you can't install it normally so the exhaust would point to the back of the case. I pointed it towards the top of the case, when I play it gets so hot that it's uncomfortable to touch it.

second test of witcher 1
this time i played a bit a mission

Attached: witcher1 second test.jpg (1909x945, 123K)

and here is the fps

Attached: witcher1 second test fps.jpg (1907x943, 261K)

What GPU?

5700xt pulse
drivers up to date

And CPU?

trash

r5 2600

That's out of date af
Don't expect to be gaming at 1080p 60fps

What OS?

Jesus Christ, at least ditch the cooler and step up to a 1600 or 2600.

>1050ti
Holy shit, swap that to an RX570 while you're at it

here

>item in processing
Does this mean I got it or could they still refund me and say out of stock?

refund and say out of stock

This is why the youtube tech channels don't include 0,1% lows, except for gamers nexus.

the 0.1% low were during a loading screen
completely irrelevant

That's what happened last time I managed to place order on the 5700 xt pulse
Goddamn not again
Please say it ain't so

Attached: 5479067-0869503300-96vto.gif (400x225, 3.09M)

Are you happy with the 5700 xt?

just waiting for vampyr to finish download then i'll test it
after that i'll wipe out the driver and re do the tests with evga ftw3 2070super

if anyone has an old game that he wants me to test it's now or never

Did you try Command & Conquer?

Will they release a non-RGB version without the smart features? Seems like a good cheap case if they did.

Attached: aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9HL0gvODQ2ODgxL29yaWdpbmFsL0NvcnNhaXJfMjIwVC1SR0JfQ292ZXIuanBn (1920x1080, 896K)

>AMD
They do have bad support for older games aside from gimping. I think the problem is the CPU tho, in Mass Effect 1 you don't have shadows because AMD removed the 3DNow! instruction for example.

yes look in the previous thread i did generals and generals zero hour
although sometimes the game doesn't want to run and gives you a directx 8.1 or newer error, if you retry to launch the .exe it runs normally
it only happened once or twice out of 10-15 time i tried to run the .exe

No, just replace the RGB fans if you don't like them. Nogtua releases their black A12x25 soon

Have all the parts except for the psu, which should come tomorrow. Can I start building already or would that be a pain with the psu cables afterwards?