Breaking into FOSS

>all FOSS projects already have established developers
>no way to make it into a project
How do you do it bros?

Attached: 1560065704798.gif (400x300, 259K)

Other urls found in this thread:

andreldm.com/2018/12/03/xfce-contributor-guide.html
github.com/rgieseke/textredux
github.com/OpenIB/OpenIB
github.com/inorichi/tachiyomi-extensions/pull/156
youtube.com/watch?v=VscdPA6sUkc
gemrb.org/wiki/doku.php?id=todo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Make a really good Android client for Linux. KDEConnect is shit.

Fix small bugs or something

Start submitting patches to fix bugs and eventually you will understand the software through debugging, which will enable you to write new features.

Let's make something together UwU

OwO what is this?

Attached: 1499838822.jpg (326x302, 23K)

Why? For me it just werks

get on some relatively young but very promissing projects such as projects for wayland or stuff like nix or guix

Sauce on gif?

Look for smaller projects that you personally use. I have a 400 star project on github and I wish it had more developers besides myself. But everyone just goes "hurr durr do this do that I want this feature and can you fix that bug". No one wants to code even tho my project has tests and decent documentation and pull-request guidelines and the code itself is rather straightforward.

Most of my users are Arch users so that probably explains the bad behavior.

Attached: 1560893065803.jpg (546x896, 54K)

>I have a 400 star project on github and I wish it had more developers besides myself
Post it!

Attached: 1486509865044.png (1280x738, 601K)

I realized I didnt have any technical contributions to make so instead I push my CoC for inclusiveness. I can't believe its actually working. I'm even getting money from big corporations to fund my tittie skittles.

Join XFCE. Legit good, mature project, 100% C and they cry for more help. andreldm.com/2018/12/03/xfce-contributor-guide.html

>100% C
They should cry more.

Also we don't, because we study hard shit and there is no time.

Don't turn this into a daily language / de / editor / os thread. We have a lot of these on Jow Forums

>Most of my users are Arch users so that probably explains the bad behavior.
or pajeets, looking at the github issues of projects is a cringefest of pajeets profil pictures

It's already begun. You can't stop it once the floodgates are open.

Use open source to build real things. You'll inevitably find bugs only you care about enough to fix. You'll likely find features that the maintainers hadn't thought of but are open to if you open a PR.

Docs are always low hanging fruit. They consistently suck, and maintainers tend to value newbies' opinions on them since that's who the docs are for. A PR for missing/outdated docs is rarely turned down.

Unless you're starting your own FOSS project, that's pretty much the only reliable way to get started in open source.

Attached: gun.jpg (740x1007, 419K)

Futari wa Pretty Cure

>submit PR with feature
>yeah well uhm i think this is not good
or even better
>yeah thats a great idea but i would have implemented it different
>doesnt say how and doesnt implement it himself either
people in open source fucking suck

post it user i wanna help

Write code that other people think is useful.

It's literally that simple.

Attached: frankie.png (521x512, 323K)

Someone contribute to this, it seems pretty dead.
github.com/rgieseke/textredux

That's something really obscure

Pretty much me.

I want to host a infinity based imsgeboard, but cant into manually installing it, if you can fix the install dot php i would be p happy
github.com/OpenIB/OpenIB

Deploy meguca with docker.

>meguca
Link pls

Nvm i found it but it doesnt say anywhere about user created boards?

Well, it has them.

Oh ok gonna try it and report back later'thanks!

frig off lat!

Attached: lat brewing his special "Armenian Wine" moonshine.png (1280x720, 662K)

Pls explain

Attached: lat the ape man.png (300x534, 148K)

So its just that we must be xenophobic towards latvians?
Thought it was some inside joke from the meguca board or slmething

Shut up, slut!

pay gowno.club a visit sometime if you want to have a look at what meguca has to offer

Attached: latimer questioned.png (1418x1074, 999K)

Sorry, cannot into northern european but ib seems nice
Now for a questions, which is better, gowno's or bakape's meguca?

Isn't gowno just meguca with emoji?

I will give you a great idea. You should finish this pull request in the tachiyomi-extensions github page github.com/inorichi/tachiyomi-extensions/pull/156
I've been waiting for this shit for more than a year and the cunt just never fixed the issues.

>kotlin
better keep waiting my dude

>makes pull request
>hey user we saw that you are interested in our project

Check out Jow Forumslinux_gaming
Very often they post projects working on open source reimplementations of video game engines, which in turn get abandoned by the main devs rather quickly
Finishing these ports is good for preservation

this. There are lots of trivial or rudimentary things that don't have an open-source implementation. Find your niche, make a github repository with comprehensible english (bonus for demo gifs) and you'll be swimming in (You)s

got some examples?

devilutionX, the FOSS Diablo I engine, could use some tlc.

post project dummy

post feet.

>Latest commit 4 days ago
seems to be doing fine

there is still a ton of work needed to modernize it.

Bullshit, a lot of projects have 2 or 3 main developers, it isn't hard to get into one. But you are approaching the thing from the wrong side: you don't "find a project to contribute to" you just find something that you need and do it.

>Most of my users are Arch users so that probably explains the bad behavior.
I maintain a project with 10k stars on github, everybody does this.

bost link

No, I don't want my ass reamed by SJWs.

>reimplementation
>expecting people to rewrite things for you for free instead of just getting the devs who you already paid for the game to stop hoarding their code

No one will post their links in this cesspool.

Not the guy you're responding to, but I've posted my projects here before, and had some of them shared here by other anons. Each time, my traffic actually went down. Things being posted here is negative PR. Harassment by SJW is a meme, the truth is people simply don't want to be associated with this shithole.

DevilutionX has already re-implmented Diablo 1, all that remains is to modernize it. e.g. code to scale the UI to modern resolutions, etc. The reverse engineering work is over.

Also we're never going to get the original code: youtube.com/watch?v=VscdPA6sUkc

In some cases like Roller Coaster Tycoon (OpenRCT2) or Transport Tycoon Delux (OpenTTD) the original code was assembly, so a rewrite would be necessary either (since these open source ports are meant to be cross-platform, not x86 exclusives like the originals.)

>expecting me to watch a 75 minute video just for the one quote your referring to

The point is that
>The source is long gone
>Development from the original source is dead

but mostly
>The re-implemented has already been performed so it's a moot point

Also, I didn't quote anything from the video. I provided it for general background on the original Diablo.

i don't need to watch a 75 minute PR video for 'background'
i believe you that the source code is lost, by my point is that such irresponsible behavior from the original developers should not be tolerated

Relax user, I never said you need to watch it. I just posted the link because I thought some people might be interested.

>shouldn't be tolerated
Yes, well I encourage you to never give a single penny to blizzard. If somebody kyoto'd their offices I'd sleep like a baby.

Propose a Code of Conduct

Just use kdeconnect and put a good UI in it's place. Also, a less retarded icon.

baste and estrogen pilled :^)

Attached: gnome.png (777x767, 353K)

w-what is she doing?

Attached: 198497057.jpg (674x720, 36K)

Openrw

Not abandoned, but GemRB (implementation of Infinity Engine) could use some work for Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale 2
gemrb.org/wiki/doku.php?id=todo