Containerization

Getting pretty good at pic related from work. Any mid-senior wagies have any advice how to leverage this tech for maximum shekels or comfy jobs?

Attached: dockerkubernetes.png (530x326, 37K)

devops/sysadmin shit is what you are looking at with containers.

Containers

>put program in container
>bind ports to ports in host/hypervisor
>serve these ports from behind a reverse proxy

Is there something I'm missing?

devops here
I just finished docker-izing the Jenkins environment of a department. Docker in Windows sucks.

docker is for dummies who do not realise the implications of cross-platforming

how do you deploy apps quickly without docker? you gonna spend 10 hours hunting the 100 right dependency versions every time you deploy.

I’m the next step up now with Serverless. So much of the shit that annoys me about k8s is now non existent. Just upload your code and aware ya go

what's annoying about it? serverless annoys me, you're locked into the APIs it doesn't feel like you own code. And it takes forever to debug and test.

static linking

Hunting what? Package managers and provision scripts

You're missing the single largest benefit of containers, swarms and dynamic scaling.

you're locked in no matter what you do, and debugging is for pussies

correct, lets say you have 5 dependencies, which each have 100 dependencies. Then you try to install on a different system. You could easily spend 10 hour debugging, each time you install vs spending 1 hour setting up a docker container once. Then deploying takes 2min.

Not true. If I use mysql I can move to any hosting I want. I'm not locked in anywhere.

Removing all the basic security protections an OS provides sounds like a nightmare, especially when you're now expecting the app developers to provide that expertise in each instance. But maybe I'm off-base.

what security protections?

I'm a sys admin and would like to learn this stuff but I don't even know where to start.

you must be a pretty shitty sys admin if you don't know how to use docker lol, but regardless it takes maybe 10-20 hours to learn

>if you don't use this ONE tool you're shit
Yeah OK retard. I can tell you're not worth talking to.

you're the retard actually. docker is ubiquitous right now, just as is linux, git, linters, etc. If you don't use them, you are a retard.

Lol

have fun spending 10x more time installing anything than people who use docker

So with docker, distros literally don't matter then as all dev tools can simply be plugged in?