Laptop Batteries

Why don't we have laptops powered by 18650 batteries instead of proprietary cells? You could get new ones with better capacity whenever you need to, they're completely standardized, and they have all the best battery tech because they're used in high-end flashlights.

Attached: 18650.jpg (600x308, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QdWy0PJyUCA
youtube.com/watch?v=qc7UlvsQ-So
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bro are you like fucking stupid

Attached: EBiZOLOUIA0Hpej.jpg (585x1024, 110K)

Older laptops did use 18650's packaged into bricks. Nowadays batteries need to be slimmer than an 18650 can afford

they take up a lot of space

Attached: 400mad.jpg (500x738, 44K)

There is no reason why there shouldn't be a standard laptop voltage, no reason at all, just greed

>same voltage for a portable ultrabook without a fan and a desktop replacement trice the size
Yeah, that's going to work well.

There probably is a reason. Different processors and mobos. Different components.

But I agree with the basic premise that companies make shit incompatible on purpose. Libre hardware when?

They all run on 12 volts ya dip.

>gaming laptop
>restricted to standard of 11V because that's all this ultra book needs
>computer throttles because fans kick in

It's something that doesn't have to be a standard, only the charger if you want to appease consumers

>what is buck-boost converter
>what is rail voltage regulator

Stuff that wouldn't be as efficient.

>draws more current to step up voltage
>more battery drain

Lol or just let oems put whatever they fucking need in there

Imagine buying something but we stuck to 12V DC on everything by law and you get this SMPS that's 12V and has a booster in it so it's 12V 8A to get you 19.5V 4.2A and it's now bigger with more components

>feeding battery voltage directly into the power rail
>15 volt full 11 volt empty
What could possibly go wrong.

what kind of retard
1. buys a gaming laptop
2. cares about its battery

Nigger literally all computer hardware runs on 12 volt or less.

>gaming 100% of the time
>portable machine, not caring about battery life

>tfw my old laptop use 18650
Gonna replaced it soon, sadly it only last for 3 years, it's a panasonic 18650 desu (seems taken from toyota prius) i get it for cheap for like $20 for 6 3 years ago.

youtube.com/watch?v=QdWy0PJyUCA
Old batteries literally are 18650 you dumb zoomer. That only stopped when laptops became thinner than 18650 batteries. Now everything is bag packed li-ion/li-po crap that swell like balloons when they get overcharged.

Attached: opening-AS10D31-laptop-battery.jpg (1200x800, 191K)

We did, for a long fucking time. I used to harvest 18650s out of laptop batteries all the time for lasers, etc

It really bothers me that laptop batteries that use 18650s don't intend for them to be replaceable. Especially the tube ones

18650 cells don't have a controller for monitoring. so usually bat packs come with monitoring controller circuits.it is not necessary smart to have generic one. it would suck at monitoring so u can't have a % status for your charged bat.

non standard hardware is the basis of capitalism, user. Do you hate money and progress so much, fucking commie?

The reason is that the cells don't have any charging logic built in. If retards mix good and bad cells the whole row of cells will only be as strong as the weakest cell, and the charging chip would be much less reliable too

I can see being able to put like 12 or so batteries in a laptop, but how the hell would you put 18650 of them? Would you use the small button ones or what?

youtube.com/watch?v=qc7UlvsQ-So

They don't

literally which ones take 12v?
i have 3 laptops here which all have 19v inputs

You can't even trust people not to mix alkaline batteries and turn their electronics into corroded slag. If you let them handle individual li-ion cells everything would be on fire forever.

Many still do, only the ultrathin shit obviously can't fit that though

haha xd upboated

What is this laptop voltage you speak of? Laptop batteries provide a voltage of roughly 3.7v times the number of cells in series.

you do realize that batteries are proprietary because corporations make more money from them

How easy is it to swap the 18650 batteries out of a older thinkpad battery pack?

> thinks the voltage delivered by the wall wart is the same as what standard internal components require

Attached: derrrp.png (651x481, 43K)

>Why don't we have laptops powered by 18650 batteries instead of proprietary cells?
>You could get new ones with better capacity whenever you need to, they're completely standardized, and they have all the best battery tech because they're used in high-end flashlights.
Are you by any chance a fucking imbecile or just an attention whore? You ask a question and then you answer it by yourself... What's the fucking point?