So with all the talk of new Linux phones, what's the deal with this thing?

So with all the talk of new Linux phones, what's the deal with this thing?

Attached: SailfishOS_logo-1500x843.jpg (1500x843, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/android-and-users-freedom.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

that pinephone apparently supports it

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-09-06 00-00-33.png (215x171, 14K)

It's good but you'll have to buy it while using a foreign VPN or proxy, or somehow find an up-to-date pirated image. Works on a few major phones.

Build on top of libhybris so it will always lag behind contemporary affairs.

Even the most excitable fan of SailfishOS I knew has moved on.
I still want them to succeed.

>had to buy a specific phone model for it
>a few months later they change the phone they develop Android support for to another model (that isn't even much of an upgrade)
>expect their users to buy a new phone and a new Sailfish license to be able to continue to use Android apps
I was rooting for Sailfish, but Jolla really dropped the ball there.
Also read the comments on their forum by their employees, they're kind of assholes.

if you want to run android apps you probably want to stick with android

Huawei might be looking at it as an alternative to Android.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-09-06 07-29-03.png (444x728, 226K)

>new Linux phones
What, like 90% of all smartphones?

they are looking at using huawei tablets with aurora for a census or something like that, with few hundred k devices, would love to get my hands on one

no
gnu.org/philosophy/android-and-users-freedom.html
The kernel is the only thing Android has in common to the GNU/Linux OS known colloquially as 'Linux'. The rest is Google botnet and proprietary AIDS
I'm not talking about the blobby kernel shit either. I'm not that autistic. I'm talking about the userland itself.
The typical hardware/firmware is also troubling. Why can't I
>plug in a thing
>download OS of choice
>flash OS to thing
>shut off phone
>start up phone with some special method
>choose to boot off thing
>install new OS to internal storage, formatting it and wiping the old OS
I can't do that? Oh right because our current smartphone ecosystem is locked down as shit

>The kernel is the only thing Android has in common to the GNU/Linux
"The kernel" is called Linux. GNU is an OS, Linux is a kernel. Linux is used in Android.

>GNU is an OS

Attached: 1555660274969.png (469x699, 341K)

That's what it is, yes. And Linux is one of its kernels.

GNU is a scam

Android is Linux.

Now with pinephone, librem, fxtec pro and cosmo communicator all launching and all most likely getting community editions, seems this is the year of jolla smartphone

Seems to be the only non-android OS so far that has a working and usable ofono support (for geminiPDA and cosmo), probably also on pinephone and purism as they are launching without working software (yikes) it seems from the latest announcements, been using as daily driver for over 4 years now, it's far from perfect, but usability is much better than the rest (back arrow in top left corner, thanks my thuuumb needed some exercise)

This is possible one of the most dumbest posts i've ever seen on Jow Forums.

It's far from it, when you say runs linux you usually mean the distro as a whole with a proper glibc userland that allows you to compile and run all the linux software you care about, noone cares about kernel, it's the ability to git clone/make all the cool stuff out there

So when you say Linux you specifically don't mean Linux?

Noone gives a fuck about: muh technically correct terms, go away stallman and take your bionic abomination with you (or we'll argue technically its gnu+bionic+linux-glibc)

>Trading the botnet for chinknet
Same difference.

4 years and you dont know you can just drag from middle to go back? If any app makes you use the button its bad design.
t. meego and sailfish user for 8 years

no sfos app has that, pretty sure this is standard on ios or android as seen that on screenshots and it's just absurd design decision