Is he right?

Is he right?

Attached: Capture.png (1222x692, 141K)

>from my own experience
>you may never use it
>it might take a lifetime

what kinda bullshit ass advice is this

It's a viral advert for Structure and interpretation of Computer Programs. A bullshit book for idiots

take your meds

The C programming language and SICP are quite good.

But the only way to learn programming is to just do it.

>K&R
>SICP
>Art of Programming
>Practice of Programming
I am 100% the author did not finish reading his own fucking list. Fucking LARP. Those books are obsolete.

Kinda. You should start with C, but it really depends on what you plan to do.
You'll probably never encounter a problem where you have to have decent programming skills to solve it. Most people just get by with basic skill + python.
>t. CS engineer

>Those books are obsolete.
TAOCP is pretty good the rest are obsolete

>those books are obsolete
>t. retards

This. Link the source so I can go there and insult him.

Stop LARPing. I hate LARPers.

Below is the real way to learn programming. If you dont like the advice fuck off and find a twat to teach you but here is the way real programmers start.
Remember the best of the best will have started very young, maybe their parents were programmers. Here's how I started and no matter what age you are I suggest you follow these steps.
1) Buy a flow chart stencil and some paper forget using online stencils or whatever it wastes time, buy some pencils.
I will list the ages young programmers learn shit when they are going for it seriously.

age 8 or 9
Draw flowcharts for every day tasks such as
making coffee. Draw flocharts for divergent processes such as a drinks menu and what steps are taken to mix the drinks
do logic puzzles, play games of logic
look at simple programs

age 9 - 12
look at various programming languages
Forget scripting languages they are too chaotic at this point and illogical for the purpose of learning
Look at how very simple programs work.
alter other peoples programs to see what breaks them and how they break
fix them when they break
learn about comments and documentation
Choose a language
attempt to write simple programs of your own

11 - 14 years old
start writing more complex programs
buy some books. forget ebooks they are crap for studying with. Find other programmers, join computer clubs, programming clubs, etc
personal contact is far better than online forums
develop your skills and start to think about computer processes that could help someone in real life

13 to 15 years old start reading more advanced books
better your techniques

16 to 18 Start thinking about the qualifications you want

the fuck is this burgershit? i started programming with pirated delphi when i was 6 and thought "let's make a baldur's gate clone" because i thought making quake was too hard

How to learn programming:
>program

Seriously stop fucking reading books and actually try to make something

but that's too hard

>K&R C
No, he's horribly wrong. You need to know programming and the logic that goes into it to get through that book.

There is only one way to learn something: practice by solving real world problems.

>itt: seething code bootcamp monkeys that can barely put a fizzbuzz together saying that the classic programming books are bad

It's because not everyone can "just learn programming" and if you read the fucking post, he said there's no royal road. Programming takes a certain mindset to be good at, not just any normie brain will be compatible with it.

no one who's relatively new to programming is gonna read those and be excited, in fact I think they'd be way more likely to give up

No, you don't, unless you are retarded.

not an argument

That's the point

K&R is pretty good desu. If nothing else, it gives your brain a good workout just trying to parse a text that's so dense.
More programming books should be this tightly packed.

>TAOCP
holy fucking based

based. I started around the same age but with my neighbour's scrap PC-386 which could run dBASE and BASIC. My friend and I used to write interactive novels (he came up with branching stories and I would write them).
Fuck OP's bullshit """advice""", let's share our early coding days stories ITT.

got in to programming by writing cheats/trainers for club penguin in visual basic 6

Functional programming is one of the worst compsci memes.

What sort of shitty larp flex is this?
At age 6 children have barely begun developing their ability for problem solving and abstraction which generally develop from 12-15 and continues improving until the mid 20s. Fucking flow charts and programming "languages" using abstract syntax for 9 years olds? What a useless endeavor, you'd have been better off exercising and developing motors skills at that age to improve brain function through later development. For academics, youd have been better off playing with mechano and printers.

yeah, you don't learn programming by reading books, you learn programming by doing it
i also accidentaly learned english from the delphi documentation
>larp
if you think it's larp, you're just an average shitter without any ambitions
programming itself is easy and a 4yo could write pascal or any other beginner language without shitty syntax (hello c++), of course proper architecture is a bit too much for a 6yo child and my project was a mess, but it worked
year later i was autistically playing with traces and exponentials of various matrices because of Shilov's book, yet another year later i was training for a regional swimming competition
autism and adhd is a strong combo, my neurotypical underachieving burger friend, and you hold programming a bit too high

Literal autism.

I often imagined that if I had children I would encourage them to elarn math at programming at an early age, but really that's not a great idea. You should be playing and doing sports, building your body and social skills.

yes, i have autism, your point?
i did sports that interested me - swimming, kickbox, sambo, skiing, flatland on bmx; i did anything and everything that sparked interest in me (and that my parents could afford)
social skills are useless because most intellectually rewarding jobs are only attainable through competence and expertise, not smoothtalking and networking
you neurotypicals are the larpers and underachievers, you only ever dream about greatness and you force those failed dreams onto your children; pathetic

how have you weaponized your adhd? asking in earnest. For me the hyperfocus is crazy strong, I can stay up all night working on a project or researching something, but the next day I'll get bored and drop it completely so long term stuff is a struggle.

i give myself "challenges" to keep focused on one thing for longer periods, something like trivia/excercises, but it only works because i'm really competitive and hate losing (yes, even to myself)
i know a friend with adhd (no autism) goes to clear his head in gym and it works for him, but for me that would be too much time

>social skills are useless because most intellectually rewarding jobs are only attainable through competence and expertise, not smoothtalking and networking
No, this is literally wrong. We can tell that you're autistic, and it's very sad. You have a terrible life ahead.

yeah you can tell because i told you, even if i oozed autism, it never hindered me in life, academia or career
>it's very sad
what is sad is you thinking that children at 6 can't learn basic programming, math, physics or other easy shit requiring a speck of abstraction
if you genuinly think it's impressive that someone started programming at 6 (or earlier, i know several such people), i'm sorry to inform you that it is the state of your brain that is very sad to people
>terrible life ahead
so far so good, i'm very productive even outside my work - i give lectures at my alma mater and work on my own "research"
i'm good even in the departments oh so important for you neurotypicals - i have a wife who i usually keep happy (not always possible due to my autism, but i try)

They shouldn't. I'd rather read several smoothly flowing and intuitive pages than the same one over and over.

Anyone who uses the word "coding" isn't worth listening to.

>social skills are useless because most intellectually rewarding jobs are only attainable through competence and expertise, not smoothtalking and networking
Hahahaha no.

You dont read K&R just to learn C. You read it to understand what the authors were thinking when they wrote the language. You read it so that you cam get in the mindsets of a Belle Labs researcher, understand why they made the decisions they did. Thats also why you need to read up on programming history, to understand why things are done the way they are today. All the books OP's pic listed also help you understand this. You dont't just learn how, you learn why.

How the fuck is SICP outdated? Have you even opened a single page in it? Yeah it has a mathematical bent that you don't have in How to Design Programms (book by the same authors), but all its principals still hold. Name one thing about it that is outdated.

>learn programming by reading TAOCP
What a meme
Just learn the basics and then fuck around and make stuff

>because most intellectually rewarding jobs are only attainable through competence and expertise, not smoothtalking and networking
Fucking retard, jesus christ
Networking is everything, do you even have a job?
T. makes more than you

>obsolete
Principles are never obsolete.

My 9 year old is very interested in automating Minecraft.
If I made him draw flow charts for brushing his teeth with pen and paper, he'd hate it and never want to program.

>At age 6 children have barely begun developing their ability for problem solving and abstraction
speak for yourself you drugged out brainlet

Reading all of those is a massive time sink with no significant payoff, but becoming a somewhat competent Lisp programmer is invaluable.

>what is sad is you thinking that children at 6 can't learn basic programming, math, physics or other easy shit requiring a speck of abstraction
>if you genuinly think it's impressive that someone started programming at 6 (or earlier, i know several such people), i'm sorry to inform you that it is the state of your brain that is very sad to people
I have three kids. One of them spent about a month with periodic follow-up questions asking me how Infinity worked when he was 5.

C Programming Language is a good book if you're just trying to learn C and pointers in general.
Otherwise, not sure that's the best way to start. The first programming book I used was a C# textbook for a course I took. That tends to work better because they immediately give you real-world programs to write rather than making you work through algorithms like in TAOCP.

Then make him make flowcharts for doing shit in minecraft.
Seems like your 9 year old is smarter than you.

To properly learn coding you get obsessed with it as a kid and teach yourself. Thats literally the only way to be a real programmer. Everyone else is an entryist who at best will be a diversity hire.

If you start Programming I in highschool, and you aren't already at a Programming IV level, you're wasting everyones time.

>TAOCP
TAOCP is written by a mathematician who is literally one of the fathers of computer science. Before him there were no "programmers" or "computer scientists" in the sense that you might think of them today. There was only mathematics, and computers. Thus it is only sensible that Knuth produced such a work as TAOCP.

Tell me how to do it without him hating it and I'll try it. I can't get him to sit still at the computer to learn anything, and I already fucked up baseball. I don't want to fuck up programming too. I'm trying to back-door him into it with Minecraft.

tell him that when he makes a cobble stone generator he's basically making a program

This is about as wrong as it gets
There are definite advantages to each programming methodology but I've found that by practicing functional programming, my code has become less reliant on state, meaning I introduce fewer bugs and have advanced far faster in my career than my peers.

No he is wrong.

All of those books are outdated to the point of near uselessness and unnecessary confusion.

The art of programming is not, but it is a reference book, not a how-to.

>All of those books are outdated to the point of near uselessness and unnecessary confusion.
HtDP is basically SICP, but simpler so brainlets like yourself can grasp the essentials without thinking

Depends on the person imo.
I mostly learned on my own, but I did use many of those books.

>ansi c is outdated
lolok
cpp shill?

You can learn C from a source that doesn't assume its decades ago and you are on a Unix machine and explain it using words that mean different things in the current times.