Advanced technology is magic

The more I think about our technology from the perspective of a savage, the more I think that it would be hard to convince them that it's not magic.

Attached: science is magic.jpg (807x380, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=l-vHGf4j90Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>why yes we dug up materials from the earth and created these glowing square slabs that can show moving images and share information instantly to anyone in the world

The idea of a smartphone coming from the earth is insane.

the future is now

>our technology
Try medieval technology. Fucking *steel* is borderline magical to savages.

maybe if you're too young to remember all the devices leading up to them

>The idea of a smartphone coming from the earth is insane
ahahaha
this faggot gets it.

From a savage, sure. Aristotle and Euclid would have little problem understanding the mathematics behind these devices. Personally, the discovery of the chinese remainder theorem is magic to me, not some glowing shit.

It's not magic, it's law being used against law.
Information is fundamental to reality, and we are manipulating it in finer and finer ways.
Quantum circuits will certainly seem like magic, even to most on Jow Forums.

Math was never that big of a deal in engineering. Still magic though

Do you honestly believe all those laws?

Yes, cause and effect cannot be proven true, but it is an axiom that has been useful not only to humans, but life, chemistry, and the temporal universe we inhabit.
Why reject something so fundamental and useful just because its true nature is beyond the comprehension of our senses and mind?

Attached: selection.jpg (664x716, 348K)

>deal
What? Let's think about isomorphisms. The math we discover on Earth is completely valid at any region in the universe where the same fundamental forces apply. Given a parallel universe and description of its fundamental forces and matter, you could draw analogies between ours and its, and effectively recreate all human knowledge for space, to the parallel universe, down to isomorphism. Imagine that for a second, I could simply teleport myself to an alien world, interrupt an alien conversation, and correct them.

I don't reject it. I trust it with my life, but I just can't accept it a hundred percent. I've never seen air, I've seen gravity in action except here on earth.
I trust all the science with my life but I can barely believe it really exists because my senses can't perceive it.

You're right but you're underestimating how alien foreign life forms might be. And we can't yet prove that everything works the same everywhere, it hasn't been tested. Sure it's been extrapolated.

Your senses are all a manifestation of mind. As are your thoughts, and even your essence (or "spirit" as many religions call it).
IF you want to know as much as you can know, you're already in the best position to do so.
Perhaps phenomenology or some esoteric philosophy like Hermeticism would do you well.
Good luck user!

The magic is that you need to prove a constant number of reversible analogies to imply an infinite number of facts. That's mind blowing, I could literally look up the analogy of a schematic for an analogy of an alien spaceship, and give engineering advice or learn from it. Fucking imagine.

I barely believe in manifestations of the mind.

>Math was never that big of a deal in engineering.
LOL

Engineers say that pi is equal to 3. That's how good they are at math.

Aside from knowing there is existence, what can you possibly know that isn't first filtered through the mind?
Mathematics? Thoughts and logic are mind.
Senses and the external world? Both require your mind to digest into information you can understand.
Mind is the only substance you know with certainty. And through that mind you know there must be existence, because if there wasn't existence then you would be a contradiction.
If I post any more about this I'll probably be labeled off topic though, so hopefully I helped.

Attached: flat,800x800,075,f.jpg (800x762, 76K)

>Engineers say that pi is equal to 3.
No, they don't, have you ever talked to an actual engineer?
Or been in any engineering class?

Pretty much the entirety of engineering is based around mathematics, how else would you do anything in engineering?

That user is being hyperbolic, but watch this video
youtube.com/watch?v=l-vHGf4j90Y
Engineers don't care about mathematics. It's a fundamental tool to their job, just like computers are, but you wouldn't say an Engineer is a computer scientist.
An engineer thinks Pi past 10 digits is literally useless. Do you think Engineers care about the diagonal argument, or even bother with set theory much at all?

>It's a fundamental tool to their job
Yes, absolutely.
They aren't mathematicians, but they are using mathematics for basically everything.
Mathematics, as a tool, is an ENORMOUSLY important part of engineering.

>[YouTube] How Many Digits of Pi Do We Really Need? (embed)
"What is numerical analysis".
You do realize that with an accuracy of 10^(-16) of regular 64 bit double floating point numbers, you can have an ENORMOUS errors on basic calculations.

>An engineer thinks Pi past 10 digits is literally useless.
It LITERALLY isn't, thankfully computers take care of the calculations and not engineers, although that occasionally kills people tool.

I think the point the user was trying to make is that engineers only care about maths as a tool, nothing more.
Your post shows how retarded the video I linked is. I don't believe there's a disagreement here.

and so, technology enables the gullible and idiots
The consequences of the industrial revolution have been a disaster for the human race.

Pipe it down Ted, and I don't mean pipe bombs.

Oh, okay.
My basic point was that mathematics is an essential tool for engineers.

Yes. It’s an essential tool but engineers lack in depth understanding. It just works. Like how kids use iPads and can’t use computers