Are Philips TVs worth buying?

I've heard that their OS is crap

Attached: AA412E54-DAFD-4E66-9121-CAB8477B9D48.jpg (500x350, 84K)

philips stopped manufacturing TV's many many years ago. they only license their name to random manufacturers to sell their TV's with.

shit software/firmware.

i have a samsung but i find their software to be complete hit also . You cant customize anything.

whats a good brand of tv?

Is there any way to change a tv's OS?

no, they are shit. Older ones ran some linux and opera and apparently were easily hackable if you wanted to for whatever reason, but have shit performance and horrible UIs. Newer ones apparently run some crappy android version and are worse.
not if you aren't a group of engineers working for philips or autistic

Why would a TV need a OS?

>Are Philips TVs worth buying?
No.
>I've heard that their OS is crap
You heard right. It's shit. Not sure if it's some raped in all holes kind of Linux or not, but they slapped a shitty Opera browser on top of a shitty firmware that appears to be running on a shitty MediaTek "CPU". 4K my ass, this bastard lags and literally crashes the browser (since all "apps" are just websites loaded by the shitty Opera mentioned earlier) even when watching 720p videos on YouTube.

i have one myself. sure, its old (iirc i got this 2013). but the software feels fucking slow and sluggish

to spy on you

for me, its sony
while older models are a little laggy android tv has VLC and the synology apps so i can stream anything locally
it also has steam link if you're into gaymen. you can connect your bluetooth controller to the tv itself and it works flawless
you also get occasional patches too which i've heard isnt true for other brands
and ofc you also have built in chrimecast which is very nice and easy to use, dont think lg/samsung have it

I made the mistake taking a part time job at tech support for a cable-tv company.

Tvs from Phillips are crap, often there is no uniformity between different models, sometimes it does not even appear to be any uniformity between the same model, having completely different UI or even OS

What about buying a 4K 55" one and using some firestick/box for the smart features? Some 55"-60" ones are going for the prices of 40" here.

Nah, I got a Phillips TV an eternity ago but their software is scuffed. I got mine before the smart TV trend started but the software really is awful.
Turning down the backlight doesn't actually turn it down, it only turns down the brightness. You have to lower the contrast on it to control the backlight, but then it has a heavy orange cast. There's no way to calibrate it properly without it blinding you.

I'd never recommend 'em. Even LG and Sony manage to scrape by and sell better products.

Sony and Panasonic are definitely the best, but for image quality reasons, as far as smart TV features go none of the manufacturers are good if you compare it to something like the Apple TV 4K.

>TV
>OS
This certainly is not the best timeline.

Would you call it an OS or a BIOS?

A BIOS is much more limited, if you can run programs in it, it's not a BIOS.

Do you even need the TV OS if you have a Playstation?

You say that now but this shit started over a decade ago
Very high end TVs sets have always had some streaming features/apps
You could even hook up a camera on some sets from 2010 to use Skype

nope

Mine is pretty nice, it's not a "smart" tv tho, just good ol tv.

Is there a 4k dumb TV? I don't need a camera or tracking devices just an HDMI slot or 2. Vga for lappy maybe.

>OS
>TV

OOOOOOOF

If a TV has an OS don't even consider buying it.

well yea or any decent smart box, or better yet just a cheapo pc with a decent gpu but that'd be like 400 prob
and as for image quality, i have an af9 which is obviously insane but also got my parents a kd-49fx7596 nad even that fir its money is absolitely amazing, just turn off shitty motionflow. it may be edge lit but i havent noticed any haloing, leaking but maybe just havent watched enough

Who focuses on TV OS's? Literally the least relevant thing to focus on, as the only part of the OS you should be focused on is changing channels and inputs. Even volume should be managed from something else, like a sound system or sound bar.

me
forgot to add, if you actually care about a large featureset just make sure ur tv has good picture and make sure it has at least 1-2 good hdmi ports, then as said just get a smart box
or even a modern console, they can run netflix, etc. and some(?) blurays
watch reviews and do research

Guys how can I overclock my TV?

i have a phillips 4k from 3 years ago -- no problems using it

Don't bother buying a philips. Get a TCL 6 series from Costco (or 4 series if poorfag).

Who cares? Just use a Chromecast.

>Are Philips TVs worth buying?
only if you like waiting 5 seconds every time you switch the channel

Just buy any TV and deny internet access to the device at the router. I allow mine to use wifi (so i can control it with my phone) but I don't let it use the internet.

>meme tech
No