/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to non-technically assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 2700 - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>AAA or multiplatform games: Radeon card appropriate for your montior
>PC centric games, VR games, or ray tracing: Nvidia card appropriate for your display
>Used RX 570s can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p 16:9
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: RX 5700XT Anniversary planned as RX 690.jpg (580x334, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/j16Cse4bnys?t=104
pcpartpicker.com/list/r8W9jy
amd-heroes.jp/article/2019/07/0231/2/
youtube.com/watch?v=wF8EuEfKH3Q
pcpartpicker.com/list/RDPznH
pcpartpicker.com/list/djmxZR
youtube.com/watch?v=hPoelBg7Ht4
pcpartpicker.com/list/qT64tg
ufile.io/ljpa6n49
pcpartpicker.com/list/xz2ryX
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

AMDrone thinks everyone's a poorfag like him lol
cards are cheaper than ever right now! What the hell are you on about you stupid cunt

Can I migrate my windows 10 os over to an ssd without clean rebooting and losing everything else so that my os is seperate from my files?

Also how do I spot how much ram I have? I'm fairly certain I have 8 gb and want to upgrade to 16 gb but my sticks don't say anything.

I'm trying to upgrade my i5 4670 3.4 ghz gtx 1060 3gb for Doom eternal and I know i'm already pushing it,.

Attached: Hydrangeas.jpg (1024x768, 574K)

if I didnt get anything wrong this is the compare so far.
I think the sacrifice being limited to 60 fps really obscures the difference, but if I had to choose from the two the 2070s seems to stutter less and give a more consistent frametime vs the 5700xt, I imagine if both were running at a 144fps cap, then the difference would be more obvious.

Vampyr, both are performing quite bad with lots of stutters and worse than my 970. Though the 2070s seems to have less severe stutters.

Witcher wise,I'm not 100% sure I got the same area benchmark form you but it seems to be really terrible on the 2070s, if I got the image right from your benchmarks, then your 5700xt beats the 2070s by a huge margin in Witcher 1.

Attached: work in progress1.jpg (4000x3500, 1.49M)

threadripper

>cards are cheaper than ever right now!

>780Ti - $699
>980Ti - $650
>1080Ti - $699
>2080Ti - $1000-1100

>980 ~ 1060 6GB - $250
>1080 ~ 2060 - $350

>stupid
Nice projection you got going there, user

What price do you think the non-xt nitro will be? I was thinking of waiting for it instead of the pulse

What do you guys think about the CM SL600M?
youtu.be/j16Cse4bnys?t=104
I'm considering it but i'm hesitant .

Also note, how those frametime spikes on vega 56 sacrifice and 5700xt are similar in character, which makes me believe it's a purely driver issue on AMD part.
Though I will wait for 144fps sacrifice benchmark to confirm.
But currently it seems if youd remove the fps cap from 60fps youd get the same type frametime on 5700xt as I did on my vega 56.

Attached: work in progress2.jpg (7928x3320, 2.72M)

Aren't those top of the line cards, you need monitors just as expensive or more as them to make use of them.

>Sacrifice
What the absolute fuck?
isn't that a 2000 game?

welcome to schizo posting

The X60 cards are midrange

It's just a game I personally value and find very fun and important.
If you don't then just ignore the benchmarks on it and look at the other games that you do care about.

Yeah, but just enable vsync, and your graph is irrelevant.

>then your 5700xt beats the 2070s by a huge margin in Witcher 1.
except the fonts glitches make the game unplayable on 5700xt

Vsync can't fix frametimes, in fact games with bad frametimes are unplayable with Vsync because it's constantly juddering between a 30 and 60FPS lock

not good enough user, pretty much any card right now should be able to get over 100 fps.
I mean it is possible that new cards just can't fucking produce the desired framerate, but even my vega 56 was able to produce 100+ fps and the only issues was constant 1 frame stutters.
So I still believe your game is some how capped to 60 fps, but I am really unsure as to why or how to fix it.

thats not how v-sync works user, and I did try it and it did nothing to mitigate the issue. You realize that some of these frames take up a massive amount of time to render right?

Personally I find shitty stutery fps worse of an issue and would live with the fucked fonts, but that's me.
In any case I will add that info into the pasta that will go along with the image, the frametime graphs are for, frametime comparison and nothing else.

Dude, I zoomed in on your graph.
Are you running a Duron 800?
Because that's what I got in 2000, and I'm pretty sure it played well.

hwinfo, reinstall windows

me and the other dude are using a R5 2600

Look, this game is just shitting itself on a modern OS, there's no way it should run that poorly.

is it worth buying a 3900x instead of a 3700x?

>and would live with the fucked fonts
no trust me, it's literally unplayable as you can't read what is written in the inventory and skill menus

NO! buy a 3950X instead.
It's coming out this month and you'll get 2 3800x for the price of 2 3700x.
Good deal? right?

>So I still believe your game is some how capped to 60 fps
how? you can clearly see the parts where i goes around 100 fps unlike when it was framelocked and it was strictly running around 60

Google search a disk cloning program or some such, worked for me though people say its not ideal.
Right click your Windows button and open System for ram and other information I guess, or the Task Manager's Performance tab.

I'm not him. I'm just explaining your ignorance regarding Vsync. That's his point though: If some shitty old hardware can run it, why can't newer hardware, and particularly newer hardware from only one vendor?

does the asrock b450m pro4 have good enough vrms for a 3600 to reach its listed boost clocks (assuming it actually can and amd didnt troll me) or will it get too hot?

Look, at this level of non-compatibility, I'd try re-installing windose XP, run it in a win 98 VM, or even Wine, in a VM, and I'm pretty sure you'd get better performance somewhere along the way.

No, but, I thought they were getting 2000fps, so I didn't look at the fremtimes.

>Look, this game is just shitting itself on a modern OS, there's no way it should run that poorly.
Check the 970 frametime that was on windows 7. Check the vega 56 frametime, that was on windows 7.

check the 2070 and 5700xt frametime, that was on windows 10 as far as I know.

from your screenshot it didn't seem that bad.

>how? you can clearly see the parts where i goes around 100 fps unlike when it was framelocked and it was strictly running around 60
mmm yeah... I guess you are right, I guess I just don't like the result and hoping it's a mistake
I mean the performance of the 5700xt and 2070 s is both worse in over all fps, than on a 970 or the vega 56.
So I expected either of those cards to deliver better performance than vega 56, if not stable frametimes, they should at the very least give better average fps.

In any case, go test quantuim break and Il think on the sacrifice thing.

You tell me dude.
I played this game 20 years ago, and it was cool.
It was very playable on my shitty GeForce2 MX.
I'm just puzzled it doesn't run smooth as fuck on my grandmother's phone.
Maybe it's a directx7 thing and it's just not supported anymore.

>from your screenshot it didn't seem that bad
look closer to the top of the menu
>5700xt and 2070 s is both worse in over all fps, than on a 970 or the vega 56.
maybe newer gpu aren't optimized for older games whether it is amd or nvidia
or maybe it's because i use win 10 ltsc
don't know

so far, i really start to wonder which card to go to considering they both performs somewhat similarly and not having frame buffer/soft shadows on kotor1 isn't a deal breaker for me

the only thing is if i go amd, i'm definitely getting a 3fan card and if i go nvidia i think i should look for a 2080 super or 2080ti instead because 2070 super doesn't give me anything that justify the price increase beside the fonts glitch fix on witcher 1 (but since you don't have them on vega, then maybe it'll be fixed soon enough) and meme tracing is a joke on anything under 2080 ti

>quantuim break
I don't have the game, but my brother told me it's an absolute tech disaster.
Nice try.

>win 10 ltsc
Just saying, but this game is emulator tier.
Try VMs, with win98 or XP.
If it doesn't help, try wine in a linux vm.
Last resort would be wine in native linux.
This game should be 200 fps, as Quake 3 nowadays.

>2070 super doesn't give me anything that justify the price increase beside the fonts glitch fix on witcher 1
>and meme tracing is a joke on anything under 2080 ti
Have you tried control? supposedly you can get meme tracing there to work with decent framerates if lower some other settings and disable the effects that raytracing is replacing.
Though the DX12 version of the game is known to stutter right now.

??? I though I was talking to the dude that is doing these tests. and he already tested quantum break on the 5700xt.

Meant 2000FPS.
Hard to tell who's who in this board.

not the dude but if you check my windows 7 tests on 970 and vega 56, youl see that it's "relatively" high framrate and not near 60fps at all.
With the framerate uncapp it does more towards 150-200fps.

>Meant 2000FPS.
you get 4000fps in the menus if fps is uncapped

the guy you're talking to only wants to highlight very specific titles in very specific circumstances
his test set is 20 year old games on windows 10 and... quantum break.

You know, maybe a win98 emulator would be a good idea.
I'd want to replay Severance:Blade of Darkness again, but it just won't fucking work.
GoG is a messenger from heaven, but they can't have all the games.

I don't see Quake 3 in there, and it was THE benchmark 20 years ago.

please respond?

You're missing the point: he's not trying to test Crysis. He's trying to test stuff lightly off the beaten path

he's not doing benchmarks he's trying to create very specific circumstances to shill

I'd actually like to see it.
I will be playing Quake 3 extensively on my future 5700XT.

Most efficient way to apply thermal paste?

Look, nothing to worry about.
Last time I did a /timedomo demo001 was like 1000fps and that was a good while ago.

blob or spread
blob is better than "small pea" because small pea may leave some spots uncovered whereas blob will often cover the entire ihs and then extra paste is negligible
spread is the best if you can do it properly

Is a RX 5700 (with Ryzen 5 3600) enough to drive a 240hz 1080p monitor? I am mostly going to be playing first person shooters and less-demanding older AAA titles.

Average sized pea in the middle.
Enough to cover the whole Heatspreader, not enough that half of it leaks on the Mobo.

Good.

Is this the best case in 2019?

Attached: Pure_Base_500_gray.jpg (2000x2000, 430K)

I don't think any mb as weak enough vrms for a 3600.

no

Yeah, I like how it prevents you from seeing all the LED bullshit going on in there.

>only wants to highlight
Excuse me? The games mentioned were just games I wanted to play and ran into issues on my vega card, issues I didn't have before.
The other user is just testing them because I mentioned them.
This isn't "we only want to highlight these games" this is "these were the games I wanted to play and ran into issues"
If you want a "here are the latest game benchmarks" there is literally hundreds of them on youtube.

>in very specific circumstances
Like what, having them on your computer?

>his test set is 20 year old games
Lets look at the list then
>KOTOR 1
>Witcher1
>Quantum Break
year 2016
>Vampyr
year 2018
>Sacrifice
year 2000
>Generals and Generals Zero

I personally didn't feel like playing quake 3, if somebody would have brought up that there is issues with it, then maybe me or the other dude would have tested it.

>he's trying to create very specific circumstances to shill
Yes, that must be it user.., pray tell what made you reach this conclusion?

ask yourself do you need it? What's your use case? If just playing games, then no. If doing programming, embedded or anything that demands multitasking, then yes.
My friend lubed me up to take 3900x instead of 3800x and I'm not regretting it since I do intend to use the pc for 5+ years.

Look, it's easy.
They're on GoG, or they're not.
Most probable reason they're not on GoG is because code was wiped out with companies.
Del with it.

There will be a tempered glass option too, I mainly think it will be superior to the competition like H500 because of the bigger airflow at the top and the extra ventilated side on the front.

For some reason it seems NZXT hit the nail on the head with exhaust fan placement on the top, so I'll probably put the top fans in that configuration which should in theory make it a slightly better than the H500 in terms of thermals.

If you really-really-really want to play those games, then you best move would be to buy, let's say, a 2005 PC.
You'll get the drivers for win98/XP.
I'm sure you can still find them.

Airflow is overhyped.
As long as you have at least one case fan, differential pressure will do the rest.

we're not benchmarking
we're testing a claim that amd drivers have poor support for some games

>t. 85C temps

But AMD drivers suck at OpenGL

fuck off i'm actually trying to debunk his claim that amd has inferior drivers

can you give me a list of common games that run on opengl?

Look, of course it's better to have extraction, but you don't want to overdo it.
It's pretty marginal, but it would mean under-pressure in your case.
Actually no, it's not gonna change anything.

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on this budget build. How does it look?

pcpartpicker.com/list/r8W9jy

I want to play pc games and emulators on it. Also I have a very tiny space to set this up in, any suggestions where I can get an idea for small setup? I was thinking of getting dual 21.5" monitors and getting an arm mount for them.

you should get a better gpu
570 just can't cut it nowadays

I can play those games, yet I did not expect these issues when buying a vega 56.
also vampyr and quantum are not that old.

What are you even saying, how is it even related to anything I said?

>pcpartpicker.com/list/r8W9jy
Wow, 130$ on the 2600, really?
Don't know if it helps, but my 2700x can do emulating Botw just fine.

amd-heroes.jp/article/2019/07/0231/2/
>x570 is useless
you can get pcie speeds on b450s, why is no one else reporting this?

>issues
Look, the issue here isn't driver related.
It runs like ass on both NoVideo or AyyMD.

SHOULD I BUY THE FUCKING 5700XT PULSE OR NOT

Attached: 1559171597969.png (600x600, 464K)

Looks good, what do you play?

what the fuck? there were people in this general saying the asrock x570 couldnt even handle a 3600 but the 450 can?
Im getting mixed reviews from everywhere

no
really it runs at 90C to 95C Jtemp when playing without using a case with 20C ambient
get a red devil or wait for nitro+

AND THERE GOES ANOTHER MONTH OF WAIT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Attached: 1559171213929.png (270x270, 109K)

They're retarded
youtube.com/watch?v=wF8EuEfKH3Q

Yes somewhat, I'm in the process of building half a dozen PCs over the next few months so I plan to do some hobby testing with various cases to see the differences. So far I've built in the H500 and Meshify C and the temperature difference is not that big and is pretty much what the various Gamer Nexus videos show.

I'm curious about the stock fan placement with the two fans on the be quiet! case though, NZXT H500 stock ships with rear/front exhaust and no intake and addition of fan makes no difference, while the be quiet! case stock config is exhaust rear and intake front, which in theory is inferior given the similarity of the cases.

get a novideo if you don't want to wait

I don't think AMD is releasing anything soon, are they?

Mate are you going to do quantum break testing on the 2070 super as well? Or were you not the guy who did the 5700xt quantum break testing?

>Look, the issue here isn't driver related.
Except it's entirely driver related.
At best you can say that both amd and nvidia drivers are bad for these older games.
Though currently it seems like the 2070super has slightly better support though really a 970 and it's drivers seem to be BTFO both of them.

What do you suggest? My budget is $600. I updated my build. I can get the CPU/Mobo combo cheaper through my local Micro Center so that saved me about $40. Is the RX 580 good enough?

pcpartpicker.com/list/RDPznH

woops rear/top exhaust

I've got a 1080Ti, so I wouldn't be able to.
But my brother, with a 1070 told me it was an absolute trash game, when it comes to optimizations.
You might like the game, but it fucking sucks technically, and should never be included in benchmarks.

maybe a 580 or a 590 or save a little bit more to get to a higher tier
570 sounds like a waste of money

Reposting since no one answered, is this good or should I change something?

pcpartpicker.com/list/djmxZR
+ gigabyte 2070S oc

>pcpartpicker.com/list/djmxZR
seeSave a billion dollars on your cpu, mate, it's worth it.

look here youtube.com/watch?v=hPoelBg7Ht4
no upscaling, max detail settings and a nice and stable framerate. I personally find this performance acceptable form a player standpoint.
My 970 is too weak to produce such results.
and I had stutters on the vega 56.
The user that tested it on 5700xt produced results that are similar to the 2060 in terms of performance an framerate stability (keep in mind this is me just eyeballing the frametime graphs, so there is some room for error)
If you want to test it on 1080ti, go ahead, I welcome the data.
I still wish to find out how it runs on a 2070super as well.

But to claim "bah shit game, never include in benchmarks", oh yeah? what if I like the game, what if I want to play it, the info would be fucking useful for me. Your comment is as valid as "only quantum break benchmarks count".
Just produce the data and let people decide for themselves.
If you care about the game, include it in your own judgement, if you don't then just discard the data as useless.

No, my bro told me the game reduced resolution by itself and looked like fucking garbage at times.
I'm not buying it to make you a report.
Weirdly enough, next game from same studio looks to be running fine, if you don't enable RTX.

If I saved up a little bit more money and got something like this (upgraded CPU and GPU) would this be something that could last me at least 5 years?

pcpartpicker.com/list/qT64tg

here's a first sample
same zone and same action as the last amd sample
ufile.io/ljpa6n49

Attached: qb 2070s.png (1899x943, 179K)

>No, my bro told me the game reduced resolution by itself
it's called upscaling and it's enabled by default, but you can turn it off. and my testing, the youtube video posted and the guy with 5700xt did testing with upscaling off.
>looked like fucking garbage at times.
It looked good though.
>I'm not buying it to make you a report.
You are pretty fucking insane aren't you. I'm not telling you to buy games you don't like.
>Weirdly enough, next game from same studio looks to be running fine, if you don't enable RTX.
yep runs great on DX11 on my 970. Everything on max, except MSSA, global refletions off and Screen space refelctions on medium. Getting no stutters and stable 60-70fps.

Yeah, so since it's pretty much the same fucking game, you know, they could have patched Breaking shit.

get a 1660 ti or a 5700 non xt and keep the r5 2600
the cpu makes no difference to performance since your rig is gpu bound anyways
also don't buy that nvme, get a 860 evo or a mx500 instead, they better and cheaper and make no difference for gayming

The person posting that OP is an Nvidiot, you moron. He doesn't want you to buy the good value AMD cards, hoping the 3000 series will be better and is trying to troll people into waitfagging.

Already confirmed that Quantum Break and Generals runs fine on Vega yet you're still posting it.

Change everything. That's a really bad build. Literally every single component.
$1400 for a 2070S performance should be including the monitor, not be before monitor.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/xz2ryX
Better build, yet ~$300 cheaper.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/RDPznH
Read the FAQ from the good OP. You should not be using QLC for main drive, as it says.
I'd just go with the $130 RX570 instead of spending $50-$60 more for a 590 and use the savings toward and upgrade in a few years.
I'd get SRM-01 instead of the case.
Otherwise a decent build.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/xz2ryX
I don't know dude, 2600 looks sexy as fuck, and you can alway buy it later.

good video, thanks

I built a new PC and now I'm on the 2nd day and it's crashed for the 3rd time. I just get a random bluescreen for no reason. Like there are times where I'm pushing the PC with games and nothing happens, and others when all I did was try to load Kindle or a YouTube vid and it went blue.
Any ideas? I'm on a Ryzen 3600 with one of the new 5700 XTs and a few said the AMD drivers might be at fault, but I left the PC on the entirety of last night to download stuff and nothing happened. Any ideas what I could do?