Arch linux is retarded

i dont get the point of arch linux. the premise seems to be "build your own os" but to actually build your own os you still have to touch source code of the software you intend to use or roll your own (write your own scheduler its fun). or setup the linux kernel and go from there (just write the windowing environment). arch linux just seems to be "install a bunch of packages we curate oh and you have to do it in cli and without a wizard because fuck automation amright".

what is the god damn point of this pretentious piece of software. all this just to avoid bloatware? literally can be done with a guided gui and no one has to rummage through docs to get at all the edge cases and avoid soundness holes just to get a base system working that a simple fucking cli state machine directed prompt could have done "do you want x? oh you do well then that means you cant have y and also type yes to format this just in case" etc

Attached: na6opzjr42601.jpg (1024x609, 465K)

didn't read lol

The main goal of the project was to make brainlets mad. And secondly, cool logo.

Attached: cool face meme.jpg (1000x1000, 87K)

>reads
>didnt read :smug:

hi

>the premise seems to be "build your own os"
No. That has never been the premise.

see

Just copy few lines from wiki and you have comfy, fast and stable system with based community.

>

I truly don't understand how installing arch is hard I'm not trolling, I never used linux is my life before installing arch and I just followed the wiki and I had no issues
wtf?

Attached: 1511975590480.jpg (540x720, 97K)

Most people dont read the wiki,arch has an amazing wiki,that works 99% of the time (even outside arch).

its not hard its just a weird rigmarole that seems to be there purely to rub the ego of software illiterate tech pseuds

i have a hand rolled os i can bring up from scratch in 10 minutes using bash scripts and packer. literally no one in dev ops sits there reading wikis and manually types in an installation process. how hard is it to write a puppet or chef script for this dumbass shit. why do you people hate automation

come home fat man

Attached: void-1st-april-2.png (416x130, 9K)

>basic admin skills simplified with shell scripts.
>hard

install linux from scratch

>copying some cli recipe someone thought up
>skills

Exactly. I don't use Arch but I use the Arch wiki and have much love and respect for the Arch community.

For a desktop OS it just works mostly. Everybody who says it’s unstable is mostly wrong. It has better packages than Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu and Mint. The AUR has tons of software. Shit, you barely need the AUR because the core/extra/community repositories are so complete. And I’ve never got a virus from the AUR. The wiki is excellent for when you need custom settings. I wouldn’t use Arch for a server, mainly because of just the rolling-release nature of the repositories, but hell it just works for desktop hobby use. None of the initial manual installation is pandering to pseudo intellectuals, it’s there so you can opt for different core settings. If you don’t like systemd then I don’t know what to tell you.

This
I'm confused on why doesn't have some sort of installer, not even a fancy just the bare bones installer that makes everybody life's easier it's just confusing as to why on earth they wouldn't implement something like this. It wouldnt break the system

Install Manjaro

The point of Arch Linux was to make it easy to package software. It was never meant to be minimalist or unbloated. The main devs have stressed this many times.

I think debian is comfier, and you can avoid bloat by not installing any DE that shows on the netinstaller. Just install any wm after the base system is ready. The debian logo is super nice, better than fucking ubuntu's, and + you are free from canonical's bullshit. The arch logo is really cool as well tho. I think Manjaro is a huge pile of shit, but I could use arch, it's nice, but debian is nicer.

keeps plebs out. It's not hard to write one, writing it just has undesirable consequences. It's a RTFM test, if you're unwilling to RTFM you stay out of the community.

>i dont like thing

Attached: 1506558556964.png (278x340, 13K)

This is your answer, OP. It's circlejerk shit. They made it a time waster on purpose, none of these losers give a fuck about Linux they just think it makes them special and unique. A single step above your average coffee shop hipster bragging about his taste in music is superior yet not telling you which bands, and nothing more. BTW, if you install it, they will just make up some other reason why you suck like you don't use a shit-on-purpose DE/WM

It's a toy OS, but that's not a bad thing. It's something for people to mess around with. As someone that had spent a bit of time messing around with linux before installing it, I definitely wound up learning much more about the various components of my system by installing it. Even something just as simple as "okay now you need x to do y, and get z if you want w" is useful for getting people to understand what part of their system is doing what.

Also, the AUR is useful and a relatively minimal Arch install genuinely gives me like a 50% practical battery life increase.

You have be`en vi|sited by L^aur/\ Dyat|lov.

This th|read is cu~rrently readi^ng 24 r^eplies (|not g-reat, not terrible).

Attached: 1561221590103.jpg (1313x656, 126K)