/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to non-technically assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 2700 - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>AAA or multiplatform games: Radeon card appropriate for your montior
>PC centric games, VR games, or ray tracing: Nvidia card appropriate for your display
>Used RX 570s can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p 16:9
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: old graphics card battle.png (1922x1878, 1.26M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-S8wq0dz1H4
newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?sdtid=13365100&ItemList=Combo.3936752&nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-COM&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc
youtube.com/watch?v=blbu0g9DAGA
pcpartpicker.com/list/hZ22QZ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

T H R E A D R I P W H E N

Stop using amd
buy a quality product that wont give you problems like Intel

I really notice the schizo posting is overwhelming the build discussion

Merely be patient.
It is recommended to postpone.

>just wait
>just buy it

I want to buy the fractal meshify for 70 bucks on Black Friday. They better put those motherfuckers on sale

>thinking about upgrading
>every year I find new excuses to wait

this shit is a nightmare

based

5700xt nitro when?

I can't imagine it's going to be worth it. Not unless it cools wildly better than the pulse, without blowing eardrums.

5700xt toxic when

6900 xt nitro when

How is the AMD Ryzen 5 2600X stock cooler? I'm building a budget gaming pc and am curious if I need to buy a CPU fan for it.

>buy a 2080 ti from amazon
>return it
>get a full refund
>amazon is now re-selling it cheaper since it's used
>buy it for real

it's pretty great, you don't need a new cooler at all

>buy 3600 w/MSI B450 gaming plus
>install everything
>doesn't boot
>need to update bios first because of AMD incompetence
>doesn't update/work
REALLY STIMULATES MY CEREBELLAR NODULES

>5700xt nitro
Apparently the 16th

Genius

>2 months after release
this better not be too expensive

enjoy getting banned from amazon

>he thinks amazon cares

What if you're getting a different used one?

>buying AMD
>current year
ISHYGDDT

i heard that amd card don't do physx games since it's nvidia proprietary
how true is it?

its true. if you want to unlock the gravity gun weapon you need to buy nvidia. avoid amd.

they should be able to use CPU to do it, though the performance is a lot worse than using a dedicated physix card.
As far as I remember...

Some PhysX features are baked into modern game engines, and they run off the CPU, so there is no need to have an Nvidia GPU unless you want advanced PhysX effects (if the game supports it).

Its not just physx, every game runs like crap on AMD. Hell, older games dont work at all with their shitty drivers. If you plan on gaming at all avoid AyyMD like the plague.

>going to hell for a slightly cheaper 2080 ti

aw shit, there goes my all amd build

Is there any reason to not get a rx 590 over a 580 if they are priced the same?

Attached: dlssinaction.jpg (796x805, 133K)

Games still run physx? I mean I loved it when it was on planetside but I think they've long since given up on that shit.

quake, morrowind, system shock 2, halo all work on my card so i dont care faggot

nope
get the 590

>Games still run physx?
No they don't, shits dead, the new meme is RTX and gameworks

>gameworks
what does it do and how fucked is one when the gpu is amd?

I think it's specifically DXR, not sure if gameworks is all that popular or useful. In theory it frees up development time since it can do all the lighting stuff, but that's assuming they can get it running efficiently.

before i send back the 5700xt
is there anyone trying to check amd driver compatibility for older games?
if yes please tell me which one

>Hell, older games dont work at all with their shitty drivers.
Not 100% true.
Here is the current list. It's been updated by other anons info, who tested 5700xt and 2070super on windows 10.

KOTOR 1 - Can't use frame-buffer effects(which are responsible for stealth effects being actually transparent and other visual effects) and soft shadows can't be used otherwise the game crashes and there is no fix for this. 2070super worked with no issues.
Witcher1- Framerate dips/stutters on vega 56 and a nvidia 970 provides more performance and much less stutters than a vega 56. No such issues on the 5700xt were observed and it's frametime stability was equal to 970, however all the fonts in the game were noticeable visually glitched. On 2070super there was no font glitches, but the frametime was more suttery than any of the other results.
Quantum Break- GPU remains underutilized, over all performance is lower than expected and there is stutter in frametimes. 2060 on the other hand provided better performance and more smooth frametimes(take from internet results, not personal tests) (Talking about a 2060 having stable 60fps while a vega 64 was struggling to get stable 40fps.) 2070super provided tighter frametime groups and better performance. Refer to frametime graphs.
Vampyr- Frametime is unstable when moving in between areas (approximate distance is 10-20m) noticeable stutter that dips well below 30 fps. No such issues observed on 970 which yielded better over all performance and much smaller stutters.
Sacrifice-Both on vega 56 and on 5700xt, very stuttery frametimes. 2070super, also has unstable frametimes much like the 5700xt, although the stutters are slightly less severe, but not much better.
Generals and Generals Zero hour- Didn't work on vega 56, worked with no issue on 5700xt. 2070super worked with no issues.

The tests on vega 56 were tested on both windows 7 and 10. R5 2600 CPU.
The tests on 5700xt were done on windows 10. R5 2600 CPU.

Attached: work in progress3.jpg (8520x4112, 3.34M)

youtu.be/-S8wq0dz1H4
Think a few games used it a little bit, but it's pretty much just minor cosmetic upgrades with debris and maybe hair.

Point is you need to go back to /v/ instead of spamming the thread with off topic gas lighting to try and convince people that RTX looks good in games when it doesn't.

Perfectly fine for stock speeds or a mild OC.

Pulse can have coil whine. So if the Nitro doesn't, and you can't get the Red Devil, it'll be another option.

Just report. Don't spam up the thread with your own off-topic posts.

Considering how they can't keep them stocked? They will be.

Nope. 590 is just a 580 on Samsung's 12nm node. ergo it's better.

>Generals didn't work on Vega 56
Yes it did.

Attached: but muh doesnt work on AMD.jpg (1440x810, 607K)

Is this a good deal? I feel like it isn't.
newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?sdtid=13365100&ItemList=Combo.3936752&nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-COM&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc

Look elsewhere
Because 580 is cheaper

>rtx
>cuda and tensor for deep learning
>physx and gameworks
>some minor better support for older games (kotor1 mainly)
anything else i'm missing on if i go 5700xt?

>better support for freesync
>possibility for performances to improve over the years as navi has better room for optimization vs turing which is peak optimized
>far cheaper
anything else i'm missing if i go 2070 super?

how's this look for 1440p gaymen?

Attached: parts.png (1224x625, 55K)

is there anything from amd that is proprietary to fuck over nvidia cards or is it only nvidia that has the proprietary edge?

>>better support for freesync
This is the only thing I find questionable.
What do mean by better freesync support?

>better support for freesync
Works fine for me bud

I'm buying a 3700X and a 5700RX. What motherboard should I get with this? I'm fine with gigabit internet.
Does de higher temperatures from PCI 4 matter for SSDs?
Is there any advantage of 570x over 470x except PCI 4.
Would a 450b even suffice?

>Vampyr- Frametime is unstable when moving in between areas (approximate distance is 10-20m) noticeable stutter that dips well below 30 fps. No such issues observed on 970 which yielded better over all performance and much smaller stutters.
you should specifically mention that the stutters happened on both 5700xt and 2070 super and that 970 was tested on win 7 so chances are it's a windows problem

fps frame to be able to be activated is wider on amd than nvidia
in other words the monitors support lower framerate targets with amd gpu

Housefires and shit drivers?
Nvidia cards can work with freesync but I don't think amd works with g-sync.

Gonna need to see your sources on that one brochacho

Thanks, for bringing this up.
>stutters happened on both 5700xt and 2070 super and that 970 was tested on win 7 so chances are it's a windows problem
But see the weird thing here is that on win 7, vega 56 also suttered much like the 5700xt and super 2070.
So if it's only the OS that is at fault, come how under windows 7 vega 56 stutters and 970 doesn't.

How the fuck have you gotten this far and not researched enough to know this might happen?

It's just ok. You're getting a very slightly better board for the price of a $175 one.
Nothing special.

Most people turn it off on Nvidia GPUs too since the appearance is mediocre for how much it tanks performance with the hair shit.
TressFX was a lot better.

Pretty much summed it up.
And I'd imagine KOTOR 1 on Linux/WINE will work fine. You're going to have plenty of issues with old games on Nvidia unless you're using a 10 year old GPU and Windows Xp, as well, just no one is autistic and paid enough to spam every thread about issues with Nvidia in old games.

You also missed that "tensor cores" don't necessarily make Nvidia GPUs better for deep learning. Nvidia just NAMED them that to make it seem that way. ROCm and tensorflow support on AMD has been fine about a year into Vega's launch and getting better.

>Does de higher temperatures from PCI 4 matter for SSDs?
... you don't exactly have a choice if you want the PCIe 4.0 SSD performance so wtf is the question? Can you even AFFORD a PCIe 4.0 SSD?
>Would a 450b even suffice?
Yes as long as it has the BIOS updated.

Been 2 months and you trolls are still lying about them being "housefires" when their perf/watt is higher.

Attached: hairworks on.jpg (1639x693, 160K)

The reason you buy ngreedia is they will gimp the popular game you want and do other shit and all around will be the best. I learned this long ago and just pay the premium for the premium experience

>fps frame to be able to be activated is wider on amd than nvidia
From what I read, you are correct on this one.
The same freesync monitor supposedly has a 48-144hz freesync range. While with a nvidia GPU, its 60-144hz freesync range.
But this is not something I personally tested, merely seen people note this.

i play 10 15 20 25 30 year old games regularly on my rtx card and never seen an issue. What doesnr run on rtx, schizo postet?

>i play 10 15 20 25 30 year old games regularly on my rtx card and never seen an issue.
I am going ask for some proof to back that up user.

My monitor is certified 48-144hz for nvidia. Dont buy a shit monitor.

>off topic gas lighting to try and convince people that RTX looks good in games when it doesn't.
It does, nice sour grapes because your Team doesn't have it
youtube.com/watch?v=blbu0g9DAGA
Open your eyes

>590 is just a 580 on Samsung's 12nm node. ergo it's better.
Slight performance increase in trade for being a housefire , ergo it's worse

>turing which is peak optimized
Apex Legends just got double digit percentage increase on Turing

I ask you first schizo. What doesnt work? Post an example

just ordered a RX 5700 XT for £500
how bad did i fuck up?

Really bad desu. The nicest ones go for 450 usd

I won't be using an SSD which can utilize PCI 4. I heard that the higher running temps of PCI 4 might be harmful and I don't care about the extra speed. However, this may not be the case anymore.
Buy you're saying that a 470x is never worth?
Thanks

user? You can't tell people to buy a different monitor when the argument is better freesync support on amd gpus vs nvidia and I bring up that, yes I have heard people say the freesync range is by error lower than it should be, 48-144hz monitor having 60-144hz freesync range.

i got the asus rog one, and it was the same price on every site
im not too concerned about the pricing of it tho i meant in terms of performance

Most from AMD is open source.
Even Radeon Image Sharpening was open source and Nvidia literally copy-pasted it into their Reshade knock-off. It runs much worse on Nvidia (5%+ performance loss vs

gta san andreas

Which is a good programming build?
vms, compiling, etc..

I am not even the "schizo". I'm the dude who brought up AMD gpus and driver issues on them. In light of another kind anons info on 2070 super and the frametime benchmarks he has provided, I really have to ask for your own proof of
>i play 10 15 20 25 30 year old games regularly on my rtx card and never seen an issue.

If you want an example look here

i ordered it off scan and the price for the one i got was the same everywhere.
it was only a little bit more for the ROG one so i decided to get that one

Shit lad i just booted it up and it does have a bunch of fucked textures

Fud. 48-144hz is the spec, the problem is a bunch of the monitors are shit and flicker and cant do the full range. Has nothing to do with nvidia, its been this way for years

Bros how's the nzxt h700?

>48-144hz is the spec,
I know thats the spec, but I have read reports on people saying that with an nvidia GPU, the freesync range was actually 60-144hz on that monitor. Which is mainly due to nvidia support/ monitor implementation not meshing as well as amds.
> the problem is a bunch of the monitors are shit and flicker and cant do the full range.
it flickers on both amd and nvidia gpus.

b450 or x570 for 3700x?

What you read is fud and youre repeating it. They dont perform differently

As I said, I haven't personally tested it, just something I read. I expect people to take that for what it is, something to investigate further, not draw conclusions form.

Why is AMD so based?
>RX 570 4GB ($110 new)
>RX 590 ($190 new)
>Vega 56 ($200 used blower)
>RX 5700 ($330-350 new, price depends on blower or not)
>RX 5700 XT ($410 decent AIB)
Meanwhile we have Nvidia with these shit-tier offerings
>GTX 1650 ($150 new, worse perf than 570)
>GTX 1660 ($220, same perf as 590 but has 25% less VRAM)
>GTX 1660 Ti ($260 new, worse than Vega 56)
>RTX 2060 ($300, slightly worse perf than 5700 but with 25% less VRAM)
>RTX 2060 Super ($400, worse than 5700 XT)
>RTX 2070 Super ($500, only slightly better than 5700 XT)
>RTX 2080, 2080 Super, 2080 Ti (literally unbuyable due to excess price)

I'm pretty sure my computer is being bottlenecked by my memory. Wasn't too much of a problem over the last few years but recently it's just become bothersome with my multitasking and the kids playing their newer games than me.

pcpartpicker.com/list/hZ22QZ

There's the PC I currently have. Couldn't find the motherboard on part picker but it's a mid-range Gigabyte am3+ socket. 4 ddr3 ram slots and 2 pci16x. Not currently at my computer and won't be for a while so stuck with limited information there. Know I need to get a SSD as well so any suggestions there?

>5700xt is not only slower than a 2070s but doesnt have rtx or drivers
So based

>1x8GB
Let's not even get into your CPU and GPU. Your computer was bottlenecked since you built it. It should have been 2x4GB.

>hairworks on a bald character
what am i supposed to look at?

YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO FLASH AN UPDATED BIOS APPROVED AND PROVIDED BY THE MANUFACTURER AND CALL IT A FUCKING DAY. It's ENOUGH that I'm allocating my time and money into buying their shit and assembling it but THIS

The INCOMPETENCE

You better believe it's the last fucking time.

it's a "joke", not an actual serious image

Can't wait to get my 9900KS, I will cool it with the tears of poorfags stuck with AMD

>STILL no Red Devil 5700 XT in stock in the U.S.

Attached: mad ash.gif (480x360, 785K)

Grats you got memed into amd, were you trade saving a few dollars for wasted time and fustration. Great for NEETs bad for adults

>Nothing special.
Alright, I'll just wait for another deal then.

why is amd so retarded as to give free shit to the competition?
and then they wonder why nvidia is leading the sales

Well if you read the first sentence memory was my first and utmost concern. Upgrading that to 4x8gb

My 2070s xc ultra was supposed to arrive wednesday, except i got an email that its another week on backorder. These paper launches are jewish

vram doesn't matter?
you've clearly never played 4k60 or uw1440120
modded skyrim alone hits 8gb vram and it's not even the highest you can go with enhancements
new games are hitting ultra at 7gb
damn Jow Forums is full of shills today

>slower than a 2070s
its also cheaper?
>no rtx
rtx isnt worth it with the current cards
>no drivers
stop with this meme its 2019

The reason was 'fuck intel's pricing' for a chip that has performance parity with a competitor at like double the price but now I understand. Going to throw this entire shitshow in the bin looks it. Livid.

>(literally unbuyable due to excess price)
we both know you'll change this category when amd will bring some big navi at 50$ less than the nvidia equivalent
stop being a lapdog for a multi billion company that doesn't care about you