I unironically approve of glimpse image editor

I unironically approve of glimpse image editor.

Schools and institutions will be reluctant to use an image editor named "gimp." If the gnu community wants to grow, we need to think about how simple meaningless things like names might affect the willingness of institutions to use the product.

Also I don't buy the dev's statements that it would be a burden to change the name because of how recognizable it is. Companies rebrand all the time.

We may think we are getting a win over SJWs but really we're not helping ourselves by being an insular community that embraces needless controversy. I think it's very conceivable that a school or a design company might hear the word "GIMP" and decide not to use it for fear of controversy.

If GNU is to be widely adopted we have to show that we are not tone deaf to such concerns. Just doing things the way we want without considerations as to whether we are causing unnecessary scandal or controversy is an example of how the free software movement shoots itself in the foot.

Attached: glimpse.jpg (299x168, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

TL;DR also fuck you.

>SJW

what does this even mean anymore besides "someone i disagree with"?

tl; dr: the change in name could make the program more popular between normalfags because Glimpse sounds less retarded than GIMP.
Honestly, the fags behind the fork only need to make the UI less shit to win hundreds of points over GIMP.

>Glimpse sounds less retarded than GIMP
yes clown world we are in, you are a part of it 100%

Attached: hionkhonk.gif (333x561, 457K)

It's just like alt right, it doesn't mean anything anymore

The guy behind glimpse is a gimp himself.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-09-07 TrechNex - Overview.png (286x578, 71K)

You seem to not understand. FOSS isn't really concerned with market share (as there is very little money in it regardless). Instead, FOSS is concerned about making the best product for the people who make/use the product. Marketshare is immaterial to FOSS. So to say that GIMP needs to change to GLIMPSE in order to increase marketshare is fundamentally misguided. Nobody cares if schools use it. It's good enough for me, and that's all that matters.

>I think it's very conceivable that a school or a design company might hear the word "GIMP" and decide not to use it for fear of controversy.
You realize there is a world outside of English, right? Though "Gimp" still sounds stupid then.

While you're at the name, consider another logo too.

Glimpse sounds like an exceptionally shitty search tool.

>larger market = larger amount of potential contributors = better software
If anything, FOSS depends on it much more than others. Apple can easy get away with a small market due people willing to pay fuckloads, hence the devs work to port all the pro software from Windows and more.

Not him, but I'm gonna quote Linux is NOT Windows (source: linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm )

>All the Linux community wants is to create a really good, fully-featured, free operating system. If that results in Linux becoming a hugely popular OS, then that's great. If that results in Linux having the most intuitive, user-friendly interface ever created, then that's great. If that results in Linux becoming the basis of a multi-billion dollar industry, then that's great.

>It's great, but it's not the point. The point is to make Linux the best OS that the community is capable of making. Not for other people: For itself. The oh-so-common threats of "Linux will never take over the desktop unless it does such-and-such" are simply irrelevant: The Linux community isn't trying to take over the desktop. They really don't care if it gets good enough to make it onto your desktop, so long as it stays good enough to remain on theirs.

You can apply this to any FOSS application.

if find glimpse offensive, as i associate the word with perverted people sneek-peeking at young women without their consent. it encourages sexual harassment.
>now change the name you nigots

I wish those fucking GIMP autists would just change that dumb name
I don't want software maintained by trannies and faggots

We get it, OP. You don't like the name because you're either a puritan or an SJW who is offended on behalf of some theoretical person that you've never met.

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard, seen, read, first second or third hand, someone use the term gimp to insult someone I'd have zero dollars.

They should rename it New and Improved GNU Graphical Editor Rendering Suite

all these autists sperging about gimp being a slur are dumb as shit.

most institutions prefer property software. simple as that

Oh boy, GIMP totally needs to be accepted by more institutions
So even more leaches can contribute nothing but expect Photoshop for free.
and
>Tone deaf
Im hearing impaired and offended now, you better correct your wrong think if you want to be more inclusive.
You really need to think about the consequences of these simple and meaningless phrases you use to describe everything.

This is dumb.

another shitty fork that will die, oh well. this shit has to be exhausting to the actual devs who build shit compared to these "woke" retards virtue signaling over strings and CoCs for fun.
this shit will burn people out and turn away new contributors, eventually.
lel

only issue with GIMP is the garbage UI

>most institutions prefer property software
this is mostly because they're being paid to use the software, in the hopes that the students will learn and not want to exit the ecosystem

they should fork it so it can draw circles

Attached: freetardmeme.png (1135x450, 283K)

>select circle
>fill
>grow selection
>inverse selection
>delete

it means you are easily offended and stir shit up about meaningless things or said another way are worthless consumer and a communist

>linux
>products

wow what an intuitive and simple solution, this is really gonna get people using your programs

Non native speaker here, I tried to google out what's other means of GIMP are, but pol/cor flter won't allow me to. So, what's wrong with GIMP name?

Attached: 4056344-lost_souls-doom3.jpg (558x558, 254K)

>Schools and institutions will be reluctant to use an image editor named "gimp."
They won't use this shit, ever, PS is superior in every way, is taught for every teacher in uni and will continue to be taught for students because the education system is extremely slow.

its great, it weeded out worthless people

all you did was prove a point in the most laughable way possible

who gives a shit if it's called gimp
literally NOBODY gave a fuck until now
they're just virtue signaling to show "oh wow look at us we're so inclusive and nice and shit omg the name sounds so offensive let's change it so those poor people don't get offended!!!"

Did you really try?
Try googling "gimp meaning" right now.

Linux is a kernel.

>mention Gimp as an image editing software to any normie ever
>they always smirk as it reminds them of this guy

Attached: 315253068[1].jpg (717x537, 37K)

>being a google cuck

I found another way to trigger silicon-valleyfags: master/slave.

ok retard

>picrew avatar
figured

Schools don't use GIMP because it's shit, not because it loosely relates to some slang term no one uses outside of your shitty country

I work in a school (ages 4-11). We use gimp a lot. Nobody cares that it has a funny name.

Watch pulp fiction

My school pcs had gimp
Go seethe somewhere else

What's funny is that, here in Rhode Island, we use glimpse literally as just a synonym for faggot.

I still haven't heard anyone, including the "devs" say how Glimpse is different from GIMP in any way aside from the name.

Because it isn't yet, they haven't hard-forked it yet. It's just a name change and UI overhaul.

>>>reddit

Why are amerifats so easily offended? Just like how they made some Korean band change the lyrics because niga/nega (which is a pronoun) sounded like nigger

In the land of political correctness and freedom, nothing to be surprised of.

>needless controversy
dude, the name is GNU image manipulation Program. there is nothing controversial about this.
also
>1.4% Desktop users use Linux as of 2014
>3.9% Homosexuals in the US
how the fuck is this even relevant?
it's a controversy because some faggot wants to shill his fork.

>PC
>freedom
sounds weird when put in the same sentence aint it

I hate SJWs so fucking much. Jesus Christ.

>FOSS isn't really concerned with market share
>Instead, FOSS is concerned about making the best product

bro i tell you foss software will be much better if money was involved, or it had competition

They should change the name because the only thing people associate "gimp" with is a poor alternative to Photoshop

Imagine making a program with a funny name and having a bunch of libtards fork it and rename it and try to apply it to enterprise situations

what does gimp means anyway

Attached: gimp_circle_version2.0.png (418x285, 52K)

Attached: 1549005730792.png (1104x313, 341K)

Green Is My Pepper

Attached: gimpsuit.jpg (602x1280, 104K)

t. sjw

Go away Adobe. No one likes you.

GIMP's too good for hair lice infested schools anyway.

How is United Kingdom one of his side projects?

Attached: gimp_circle_version1.0.png (275x279, 37K)

Even easier:
>select circle
>selection to path
>stroke path

>If English is not your first language, then you may not have realised that the word “gimp” is problematic.

Attached: Shig.jpg (738x960, 72K)

gimp shows up in k-12 schools because it's free as in beer
no one cares about the name, people just need quick edits

the gradient tool has shape options.

Attached: Untitled.png (800x800, 473K)

Slide gtfo

Alt right and SJW are synonymous with left and right leaning racially based political views. Both are bad, just like Islamism and Judaism, both are bad. The rebranding thing is common, it's a non issue for now at least, hopefully Gimp can become the "go to" application for image editing over photoshop.

It does have competition, at least in the sense of driving inovation. It competes with the vision the developers have for it.

>alt right are racially aware
Their anti antifa protestors are a third hispanic, there's literally zero "racial right" in America outside of the internet and media sensationalism
Nice try though

In my middle school if a pupil chose ATK as one of their subjects they were taught basic to some what advanced image editing in gimp. So saying that schools are reluctent to use it is from my position retarted. Btw the GNU part of the software was never brought up and the school only had windows computers. In fact I was punished for successfully booting one of the computers to functioning GNU/Linux based system.

We know, but surely you can appreciate the general context here.

Yeah, it's almost as if working for free leads to low motivation and shittier products

The fuck is wrong with "gimp" ? Is this bait?

You fucktards are all responding to a bait shitpost. You are all unironically retarded.

For some reason adobe feels the need to sponsor anti-gimp threads on this board every day or two.
Maybe they're afraid of photoshop going the way of flash and adobe reader?

Attached: 1339550542725.jpg (450x420, 32K)

Dumb child.

If nobody uses the software but autistic elitists, then the software will cater to autistic elitists. However, software for autisitc elitists generally sucks balls because autistic elitists are lonely virgins, so it's centred around handholding and computer babysitting.

How can you achieve anything or even call anything a success with a completely ambiguous and abstract goals like that?
>Linux 5% marketshare by 2021
Now that's a goal.
>Ubuntu Gnome on Wayland with zero microstutter and half the CPU usage on nvidia drivers by mid 2020
Now that's a goal.
>free as in freedom (but PLEASE donate) finish-it-yourself software
Nonsense.

>contribute nothing
Contributing is not a prerequisite to using free software. People decided it should be free as in freedom and price, so they publicly and explicitly stated they do not want any money and will gladly work for free. After all these years, they could have at least copy pasted Photoshop's GUI.

Fuck off, moron