/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: Graphics card prices are excessive by historical standards; therefore, consumers should delay or completely forgo any midrange to high end graphics card purchases. The gouging has two root causes: lack of market competition and shortage/"new normal" pricing during the mining hayday.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to non-technically assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 2700 - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>AAA or multiplatform games: Radeon card appropriate for your montior
>PC centric games, VR games, or ray tracing: Nvidia card appropriate for your display
>Used RX 570s can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p 16:9
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: serveimage.png (1389x500, 2.55M)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/QZyq6s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Are the x470's all set for ryzen 3000? Or is Asus's bios flashback feature enough to deal with it anyways? Might get a Rog board for it.

Why AMD can't in games?

Attached: 1314397641834.jpg (311x837, 33K)

>Or is Asus's bios flashback feature enough to deal with it anyways?
That

I can't figure out the wiring even after watching tutorials
Fuck me

What wiring? For mobo stuff, consult your manual.

When is Nvidia going to fix their driver latency being so slow?

Attached: r6 siege driver latency.png (1440x1000, 54K)

>computer automatically loads bios
>plug in hdd with Windows installed
>instantly shuts off after power on

What are you waiting for right now?

I'm waiting for a good moment to buy all the parts at once.
Too bad I still can't decide between CPUs and GPUs.

I am waiting for tomorrow so I can pay an Indian to build my computer for me because I can't get it working.
I'm just worried he's actually tech illiterate himself and just running a business doing Google searches.

better prices and availability

Wait
If I need tech support to build my pc for me I have to give him my hard drives
Oh no
Nonono
This won't work
Fuck
I guess my only option is to RMA the b450 and get a 570

$9k budget for a future proof/upgradable rig. how's this?

pcpartpicker.com/list/QZyq6s

Looks fine to me, you could probably save money by not getting a second 2080ti tho.
Less and less games even support SLI at all, so it's basically wasted. Maybe if you wanna spend double for minor performance gains, just get an RTX Titan instead.

Imagine being poor and not just buying a ipad pro thats basically a 2080ti with 16 gigs of ram what a bunch of tards haha

Will you be my sugar daddy Tyrone?

z490 mainboards when?

Why aren't 9700k's recommended?
I saw some for what looked like a decent deal on micro center and I've been thinking of getting it over a 3600 or 3700x.

Neckbeards don't like Nvidia.
If you strong want single core performance for gaymes its still one of the best choices.

If you make a pure gaming/browsing rig then the 9700K is a great choice, especially if it's on sale.

I'm waiting to buy a R51600, new MoBo and also 8g ram. Do a complete rebuild of my 2014 computer.

Anyone know if triple fan cards like the red devil fit inside a define mini c?

death

Several yes/no questions:
>Should I build my PC now or should I wait for black friday?
>Do they really hike prices just before black friday so the price stays the same?
>I will be buying a Ryzen 3600 on a B450 mobo. Is it basically guaranteed I will have to update the bios by myself with an older Ryzen?

Attached: index.png (284x213, 70K)

Just finished building on a x570 msi motherboard.

Any good guides on the next steps? BIOS setup? Should I update BIOS? What else is there to do before I install windows etc.?

Enable XMP for your RAM.

What's a good external hard drive that's I don't know, 2TB or so. I'm not particuly familiar with what brand is good or why they're all so similar despite different names.

My B450 came pre-updated and ready for my 3600 when I bought it off Amazon a week or two ago.

by the way, how much did I fuck up?
>360€ msi motherboard
>120€ sabrent rocket 1tb
>somehow sabrent rocket only nvme with chip on bottom
>msi motherboard has fancy heatshields and rubber spaceholders on board
>sabrent is too thick, can't close heatshield
>can't remove m.2 screws from heatshields
>don't have any screws, but want to build
>take knife and cut down rubber spaceholder on board
>now able to fit sabrent rocket

how hard did I fuck up?

which mobo?
I know the tomahawk max is supposed to come preupdated, it would be nice to have a log of which specific mobos are getting updated.
You'll be able to snag huge savings on black friday/cyber monday, just wait.

thx

Who builds the best radeon cards these days and is it common knowledge or just taste?

Amd user again. My screen was having this problem before, got fixed when i amped up the fans, and now suddenly have it again a week later. My retailer said that its highly likely that my psu is not enough. What do you think?

Build:
Amd rzyen 5 3600
Msi tomahawk max
Sapphire radeon rx vega 56 pulse
2x 8gb hyperx fury ddr4 2666
Tplink archer t6e
550w corsair 80+ bronze

Attached: 1567445187953.jpg (1080x2030, 90K)

>recommending RX570s and 1660s in September of 2019
whose in charge here?

Black Friday, so I can finally grab either a 3900x plus x570 mobo, or a 3950x, if there's a choice deal.

Sapphire is pretty top, pulse is their more budget but still good design, nitro is their high end cooler. Powercolor makes the red devil which have been exceptional literal top tier on their own, but outside of that specific model I'd avoid them mainly due to support issues.
MSI is usually decent enough, hit and miss, but they missed with their 5700 evoke. Xfx is usually the middle of the road decent enough, but with Sapphire being as on their game as they've been it's hard to recommend.
Most cards are pretty much the same, just pay attention to reviews and thermals as that's where they differ.

Thank you very much.

ROG STRIX B450-F

monitor your shit with afterburner. If bumping up the fans fixed it before it sounds like a thermal issue somewhere. Even though vega 56 is a power hog a decent quality bronze 550w should be plenty unless you have loads of peripherals and monster overclocks going on.

read the specs, brainlet.

my new monitor, gpu and case

Should I go for a 570x mobo with a 5700 or go for a 450b mobo with a 5700XT?
And do you guys have a psu recommendation? Is anything more expensive than a be quiet gold worth it?

get a 2080super instead

what monitor are you using?
b450 is perfectly fine unless you're going to be running a 3900x. The only thing the x570 has that actually matters right now is that they'll all work with zen 2 out of the box whereas some b450's will, and some need to be updated before they will.

Thank you. I'm buying a 3700x, so I will just buy a 450b.

to avoid headaches double check that the one your getting comes preupdated for zen2.

Any problems buying two kits of 2x16 ram instead of one 4x16? At same time from same place and making sure it's using the same ram types. Or is it a risk the internal timings are different slightly on them and fucking up?

Cureently running the 1600 and gtx 1060 with 1080p 144hz monitor.

I would like to upgrade my setup. Should i get 3700x and 2070s or 9900k and skip a year for the gpu?

Also can 1060 handle 1440p for games such as ni no kuni and witcher 3?

What are some good 1440p monitor? The new LG and Asus got halos and strange artifacts on high refresh late or low response time.

Attached: IMG_20190611_185446.jpg (1080x1533, 328K)

Check your case manual.

Attached: manual.png (1067x723, 245K)

Since you already have the motherboard go for the 3700x.

I know cases probably aren't something to worry about, but who makes nicer cases. Phanteks or Fractal?

I can't tell if that's an adult or not
those asians really are something

Fractal is generally better but also slightly more pricey. Phanteks has not obnoxious built in LED shit if you want that, for lower prices than most others. Either the 350x or the meshify c are good cases. Lots of people like the meshify for the massive airflow it allows, and it has a normal side panel version if you don't want tempered glass.

Should I sell my 1060 and get an RX 580 if I only run GNU and macOS on my PC?

No

I heard AMD's drivers are better on GNU, and of course Nvidia isn't supported on X.14.

Is there a big difference with a 570 8gb and a 580 8gb? Been thinking about pairing it with a ryzen 3 2200

Ok I'm very confused
Wtf are "lanes"?

If my CPU has 16 lanes (i5 4570), and I put my x16 GPU into my motherboard (RX 480), and then also plug in my pci wireless network card...Is that slowing down my performance of my GPU or bottlenecking the number of lanes or some shit?

Attached: aiportraits_1563596932.jpg (1024x512, 85K)

just look up benchmark vids on youtube comparing the 2
I thought the 580 was like 9% better than the 570 last time I looked though
And a 480 is like 2% better than a 570 or something

How much eatx can offer compared to atx

thanks for stating the fucking obvious.

Should I bother looking for something with a front usb-C port? I don't have anything that uses it, but I hear things about it being the next big thing, which is a pretty common statement.
I was thinking one of those two you mentioned, or a P400/P600 or a full size Meshify.

probably a good idea desu. Mine only has one on the rear, which can be annoying at times.

If you feel like accessing the rear port is annoying, sure.

RTX 2080 STRIX FOR $720, YAY OR NAY

Thanks, I was being lazy. the red devil fits my case, but it would be within a few centimetres of my front intake fan. I'm guessing that wouldn't really cause any problems?

That's what I literally just paid for my 2070 super

I'd say go for 9900K if you can stomache the extra spending, or 9700K maybe.

>Should I bother looking for something with a front usb-C port?
not unless you really really want to charge your phone through your computer.

Is it safe to transport the CPU this way?
I built a pc for a friend but he has a the CPU cooler, PSU and GPU at his place, and I need to have the case with the motherboard, cpu and ram transported to him.
Can I leave the CPU inside the motherboard (like pic related) during transportation. It's already secured in place by the latch, or should I take it out and put it in a separate box for transportation just to be sure?

Attached: Ryzen_0.jpg (647x363, 29K)

Uh oh, just replaced my video card and I'm STILL getting "No signal" when it's plugged in.
Is my PCIE slot fucked? Is it my PSU? I don't know what to do anymore
Staked my money on that

>bought my graphics card without checking
>didn't fit
>put in sideways and twist around
>it fits without any room to spare
Ill get pics tomorrow

It's secure
If you're unsure
Hold your hand out in front of it and shake the case

Is it possible your replacement GPU was used in a mining rig?
The bio might need to be flashed

Is that good or bad

looking forward to it

anyone else have a TIGHT gpu situation without any heat problems?

No it's brand new
I reset the CMOS battery but I dunno what flashing the bios is I'll uhh look into that
Just duped myself out of £100

It seems secure but I'm stil suspicious.
I mean, this is a pretty good CPU we're talking about here.

What's the recommended RAM for ryzen 3700x? preferably something 3600cl16

Just get the special Gskill one made for Ryzen

How hot does your x570 chipset run?

Attached: temps.png (1147x367, 17K)

If there is a problem with the PCIE slot can that be fixed? Don't want to buy a new motherboard here

>not using b450

If it's brand new, you don't need to flash the BIOS
It won't do anything
Only thing I can think of is your pci slot is fucked, or you got really unlucky with a bad GPU shipped to you?

lmao eww at buying amd cards

Okay so what's the cheapwst option if my PCI slot is fucked?
All I know is that the fan on the card runs when it's slotted in (small card that doesn't need a power cable) so I know it's not completely dead

The problem is that this motherboard doesnt support 3rd gen ryzen, even after updating the bios.

Are gigabyte or asrock motherboards any good?

Year 2025 When I will maybe have a job and enough money to buy me something nice and not only dream of it

I though that it may be a doll

stick a tower cooler on it first

is that accurate these days? Nvidia actually runs quite cool, we're not back in the fermi days.

>euros
Pretty badly user

don't waste your money on a 2nd 2080Ti. NV-Link /SLI scaling is garbage and you'd be wasting money. Get a single 2080Ti. Also I don't think the memory controller of X570 will be able handle 4x16GB of 3733MHz memory. You're going to need a quad channel system to be able to handle that sort memory configuration. Lastly, once you ditch the 2nd 2080Ti, get the 4TB version of the 860 EVO and then another 14TB HDD. You need redundancy.

asrock is good

Attached: 1409170770475.png (620x700, 273K)

Would it be better to get an R5-3600 or an R7-2700X? They're both $190 brand new at Microcenter. I'm gaming at 1440p and I do occasional video editing/rendering. What will age better? 6c12t or 8c16t?

>Also I don't think the memory controller of X570 will be able handle 4x16GB of 3733MHz memory
it's possible but not guaranteed