/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Freedo edition
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

A must-read: blagblagblag.org/anarchism/index.html

Previous thread:

Attached: Freedo.png (613x599, 71K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_Man_(company)#Recent_years
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.en.html#Ecosystem
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Swap#Swappiness
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for Arch

Reminder that proprietary software advocates act like mafia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_Man_(company)#Recent_years
>In 2000, Ernie Ball/Music Man was raided by the copyright lobby group the Business Software Alliance and accused of having unlicensed software installed at its premises. Following a court settlement, the BSA used Ernie Ball/Music Man as an example in advertisements and industry publications; Sterling Ball was so offended at this treatment that he had all Microsoft software removed from Ernie Ball/Music Man ("I don't care if we have to buy 10,000 abacuses,") and imposed an open-source software policy across the company.

Consider Trisquel.

Attached: trisquel.jpg (600x398, 122K)

I installed Manjaro in place of Win10. Now my pc freezes with 2 tabs open.
4GB ram 6GB swap. Did I do something wrong?
Last thread some genius wrote "Memejaro" in responce.
Don't be that guy.

Will people think i have autism if i use linux as my main OS? My professor says he has no idea how people actually use linux as a primary os.

>memejaro
Way to be a retard and isntall a meme distro. If you had half a brain at least, you would have installed something stable like slackware.

No. You do you. Just don't get on people's nerves about it (don't be the "I use Arch btw" guy) and no one will care. Your professor has probably either never used Linux, used it once in the 90s/early 00s, or is a boomer with no willingness to change.
Seems weird. Open your task manager (your DE should have one. Or you can use ps or top) and find out what is eating all that ram.

Got GPU passthrough to work but then can't do much with this shitty geforce decades old graphics card I made it work with.

Just another genius
I'm looking at ~900MBs/4GB RAM consumed.
How many PIDs should a normal firefox be running?

What distro are you all using and why?

Attached: 1.png (28x28, 2K)

How do I detect an existing file system on a drive without overwriting it? I've transferred a HDD from one PC to another but can't get it to detect the existing ext4 partition and mount it. sdc is the drive in question.

Attached: part.png (373x132, 8K)

It depends on how many tabs you have open.
"firefox" for tthe main program
"WebExtensions" for your extensions
"Web Content" for the tabs
How many "Web Content"s there are depends on how many tabs you have, but its not always 1:1.
900MB sounds accurate for 2 tabs on the modern web, especially if tthere is some video in one of them.

Trisquel, obviously
because it's easy and has no corporate interests behind it

nixos because it's actually something innovative for once.

This might be better suited to /sqt/, but I'd hope you may be able to help me more, and this may lead to an interesting discussion anyway.
So, I've been handed control of a remote server, I'd say it could be a VPS but some tell me it's literally a server in a closet of a datacenter somewhere.
From one of the two people who previously managed it, I'm told it's a total fucking nightmare of a system and that I shouldn't even try to manage it, I should just make sure it's backed up, clear out the log files that aren't deleting themselves, and when it finally dies, rebuild a system and import the databases from the backup.

My question is: What do people use for making full system backups of remote servers?
Windows and MacOS have tools for running backups (Reflect, Time Machine, and SuperDuper), but for linux systems this has never been something I've had to deal with before.

I mostly use linux for embedded work, and either shut the device down and clone the storage from another system, just rsync the relevant files, or DD the boot disk remotely if I'm lazy, and hope that if I ever need anything from in there later, it'll be fine.
I'd just rsync the relevant folders, but I have no idea what files are stashed away where that could end up being important, so for now, I'm running an rsync of the full system every week.

I'm just curious how you'd all approach this.

Debian or Poky, Debian for VM's, VPS's, SBC's, and anything else it'll fit on, Poky for my Intel Edisons (they cute, sue me).

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 5.43.51 pm.png (1322x842, 306K)

26 Days, Madman.

So I tried a simple ncmpcpp config from dotshare.it, but the appearance result is far from their screenshot. Am I missing something? OS is Ubuntu btw

Debian, Ubuntu, Raspbian, Parabola, and a FreeBSD box which is just my first foray into that ecosystem. This is all desktop, laptop, VPSes, and raspberry pis.

That's nothing, I'm kinda embarrassed, actually. Pretty sure someone else restarted for an update.
Here's my laptop and headless mac mini, I've only had the laptop 166 days so sooner or later it'll have half its life in uptime, can't wait.
Think the mini went out due to a power outage or something, I dunno, I don't bother with a UPS for fir. It's hit the hundred day mark a fair few times.
Nothing beat my Nexus Players, or an SBC I hooked up to a 100Ah battery pack, but that was years back and screenshots are long lost.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 5.57.05 pm.png (2284x736, 323K)

>ecosystem
what kind of animals does it have?

Some devil thing no, or is it that pufferfish? Dunno it's just sitting there not doing anything yet.

Install Solus

might be due to the version of ncmpcpp, might be due to the terminal you're using. Some terminals refuse to display text with a background, so where it's white on blue here it would just be blue on a shittier terminal

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-09-07 02-06-28.png (909x555, 121K)

Which open source project or company has the best mascot?

Attached: 270-2709156_kde-mascot-konqi-for-hardware-related-applications-clipart.jpg (880x1178, 321K)

I thought free software communities consisted of humans, not animals. Ecosystem implies populations of animals blindly succumbing to greater forces of nature, expanding or vanishing. Human foss communities are guided and held together by ideas that are based on ethical understanding above any blind forces (of nature, commercial markets, etc.).

KDE is a free software project.

Yeah, possibly just terminal. Gonna try another terminal later

Am now regretting my choice of word after I set off some user on a 'tism simmering rage.

rage? I calmly explained why using some words is harmful to some communities. In this case, the community in whose thread you are right now.

I 2nd your being insane, ecosystem is not offensive in the least

Ah shut up already you fuckin' dweeb. Don't fucking communicate, or attempt to, with me again or I'll really show you something harmful.

gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.en.html#Ecosystem

the only harmful thing is your existence, bozo

I need help remembering the name of a ncurses tool for checking disk space usage.

You would run it for a dir and you'd get a list of files/dirs and how much each of them takes up space.
The cool thing was that percentages of disk usage were visualized with an ascii bar for each item and you could navigate dirs interactively.

>[n][c]urses tool for checking [d]isk space [u]sage

Attached: Ncdu_screenshot.png (880x528, 89K)

More like dick usage

You probably mean GNU/Linux. Linux is just a kernel.

gnu/linux s for chads only

Attached: 2340213490902345.jpg (615x826, 114K)

i'm a dummy, that' it. Tnx

Arsch

nc = ncurses
du = disk usage
it's an nc version of du, quite easy to remember

NCurses Music Player Client (Plus Plus)

What are

some cool

windows 7 themes

NixOS is Godlike, that is all I have to say.

Debian stable
Because it works and any fix for it will be the same fix for 3-5 years. I don't need newer programs and libraries changing my system all the time. Plus for some reason games are easier to run on Debian even though it's all on wine and every distro has it. I don't know why, but it just works better/easier to set up. Might be different for really new games though.

FrankenWM and spectrwm seems based af, why people aren't using them?
>Dynamic tiling with a manual mode
>good monocle mode like other wms
>sane floating modes
>SUPER sane defaults, the only thing i changed in Franken is the "kill windows" key and the only thing i changed in spectrwm is Alt key to Mod key
>Super lightweighted
>Spectrwm has a super readable conf file
>good man pages
the only thing that might make people hate frankenwm is the configurations is done before the compiling

What's it doing? A file is a file, so anything but a running database can be backed up with tar, and those databases all have SQL dump mechanisms for moving data between systems.

spectrwm had issues with multi monitor last I tried, but my new favorite tiler is Sway so I don't see trying again unless Wayland is cancelled.

oh i forgot about multi monitors because i'm a poorfag, yea the support on them isn't that good

Yeah if you're just using a single display, and don't care about transparent terminals, Spectrwm is great.

On my Raspberry Pi with Rasbian by default it doesn't ask me for a sudo password. How do I turn that back on, do I edit something with visudo? Do you think I should be concerned about sudo without password, is that a likely security vulnerability? I'm only worried because I want to leave the raspberry pi on 24/7 connected to IRC chats, there's no point me leaving one of my "real" computers on 24/7 for that purpose, and I don't want it to be sitting there with security weaknesses becoming part of the botnet.

Attached: vegetable soup.webm (202x360, 1.19M)

>has limitless theming possibilities
>creates another macos-like theme

Attached: 12Untitled.png (341x357, 236K)

man sudo
man sudoers
man visudo

:)

Suppose I'm best off just swapping out my HDD to my W10 one just to write this one report because their online version is fucking PISS

Attached: NIGER.png (826x133, 21K)

are there any GUIs for Nix available?

Attached: old man yells at Cloud.png (571x424, 498K)

My professor said the opposite and emailed everyone about how if they’re serious about cs they need to drop windows and get on Linux.

I've been getting into pentesting, and I got bored with using live Kali all the time and installed it on an old ProBook 6550b I have. Thing is, I want to install Arch alongside it now for further learning, on the same laptop. The Kali installation took up all of the disk space. Can I somehow unallocate disk space from the Kali partition without data loss and leave it unallocated for the Arch installation?

ngl freedo kinda thicc

he's just shorter

Attached: stux.jpg (500x335, 79K)

Watch Star Wars episode IV in ASCII art through telnet:
telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl

Forgot to post a Stallman along with it.

Attached: 1481841710671.jpg (800x1000, 219K)

not bad

is tiling fad dead

loaded question is loaded

lolwut

Can someone tell me what the hell is up with the websites we typically use for downloading themes?

For years I've never said anything, but honestly they set off my "scam" red flag detection. They own like 20 different domains that all use the same database of themes (e.g. if you contribute a theme to one of them you contribute a theme to all of them).
>opendesktop.org
>gnome-look.org
>pling.com
>pling.me
>store.kde.org
>xfce-look.org
>store.falkon.org
>enlightenment-themes.org
>mate-look.org
>compiz-themes.org
And that's just the ones I found in 5min from a simple search, but I know there's more.

What the fuck is up with that? I know a lot of them present only a subset of the total themes on their UI, but they can still access others (for instance you can technically access non-xfce themes from xfce-look.org even if doesn't show them by default).
Is the explanation really just having cute little domain names for specific cases?
Usually this kind of behavior indicates something more devious to me. Like aggressively trying to buy up all related domains to prevent competition, or trying to catch more keywords from web searches to get more traffic, or actually trying to convince people they're separate and unrelated sites (although they look so similar that's hard to believe today, but if my memory serves me I recall in the past these sites used to look significantly different from each other).

Then there's the fact that they actually say theme creators can earn money by making themes and getting enough downloads?
That also sets off my scam-detection flags, and I don't want that shit anyway because it just means people would be motivated to make the same "successful" themes over and over and re-upload them.
The whole set-up just doesn't sit well with me.

What the hell is really going on here? I have to admit I still go there to get themes because they just have such a huge selection (even if most of them suck ass).
Are there any other good places to get themes from?

Attached: 1522563814711.jpg (259x195, 9K)

Any experiences adjusting swappiness on Linux? wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Swap#Swappiness

I've had my PC effectively crash a few times due to 100% CPU usage and think it's probably because my 1 GiB of swap got filled. I increased my swap partition to 16 GiB now, but I'm wondering if it's also worth it to play with swappiness. I have 16 GB of RAM.

only time i messed with swappiness was when i was trying to recreate Fuduntu on Ubuntu, it toyed with the swappiness (turned it down iirc) for battery life. Not really a problem on my deskop or server so I haven't messed with it.

it's just pling.com and it has several front-ends for various desktop environments and window managers. Just makes it easier to find what you're looking for.

It's basically the only game in town. But they don't charge to access the site nor for themes, so I don't really see an issue. I've contributed a few themes, never was compensated for them though.

>2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.

New to linux, why is it recommended to not dual boot?

gentoo: flexible and reliable

Thanks, guess I'll try decreasing it next time I get problems

what does access time on directories actually represents? if I simply enter it does not change, if i modify files inside it it does not changes, only touch makes difference

KONQI!

Anyway to force install Window copies of games avaliable as Linux "native" games on steam?

Feral Interactive games seems to be consistently running like dogshit and the same game works well on my Windows drive on the exact same computer(like stable 60fps on Windows, 30fps with big dips on Feral ports). I want to try running these games via proton or wine instead of the doggshit port version without running all of steam via wine.

Webserver hosting a forum. Databases can get fucked, if sync doesn't make it write to disk it can fuck off.

sync to a ramdisk?

Oh nice, they finally had a new release last year after a four-year break.

Force a specific version of steam play, you'll have to enable proton for all games, it's under general in the games rightclick-> properties.

fuck i'm dumb,
force a specific version of PROTON, you'll have to enable STEAM PLAY for all games.
idiiot.

Don't be a tightarse user, spill the beans

stop using sudo

Whenever I try to boot into debian, it just freezes up on the KDE loading screen after I login. I can still move my mouse, but nothing is happening. I can start the GUI as root, but trying to start it as user causes this issue

I recently switched my stable distro to testing, but I've not had any problems with it for the few days I've been on it, so I don't think that's the problem. I just don't know what's wrong, I was literally in debian just last night without issue, and just woke up today and can't get it to start.

now matter how closely i follow along with the wiki, gentoo wont fucking BOOT on my computer. i can install it fine and the bootloader installs fine and everything is dandy but gentoo wont fucking boot. this isnt the only distro that is like this either. Slackware wont boot, Mageia wont boot, and Debian wont boot. Other distros are fine on my computer, but these four just wont start up for god sakes.

You can change to another terminal with ctrtl+alt+f(1-9) I think 7 is default gui terminal.
"journalctl" is what brings up logging functions, it should tell you why you can't log in with your user.

#journalctl -xe

will let you see what is going wrong at the end of your log with some more info about what is going on.
You will have to read and poke about for a bit, if you don't like it you may not want to keep using linux as it's a learning game till the end.

Oh shut up.

Don't be an idiot, read the fucking manual. Even the /etc/sudoers file us well commented.

You get a hint in "NOPASSWD" but that's all, go man visudo, there's never been an easy way to get good at anything.

$man sensors-detect
[...]
The authors made their best to make the detection as safe as possible, and it turns out to
work just fine in most cases, however it is impossible to guarantee that sensors-detect
will not lock or kill a specific system. So, as a rule of thumb, you should not run sen‐
sors-detect on production servers, and you should not run sensors-detect if can't afford
replacing a random part of your system

why the fuck did they put it there? if I was a guy that launches a program without reading manual first or if they just simply omitted the disclaimer I would just simply run it and see what could I get
now I am legitimately spooked

Because miss-configured sensor data can and does cook chips, the guy who wrote it would be liable culturally by those who use the man framework.

I can't find doas on Rasbian

stop using doas

Gentoo

Arch
Perfect balance of "just werks" and "break it you buy it" with a great base of documentation.

Ubuntu. It Just werks. Has the most support and guides if anything goes wrong.

Stallman? I prefer Moglen.

Attached: Moglen.png (592x601, 732K)