/wdg/ - Web Development General

>Previous thread
I don't know the previous thread edition and I can't find it in the archive.
Post anime to save the thread edition.

>Free resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
MDN web docs offer a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn
freecodecamp.com/
codecademy.com/

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - General documentation for HTML, CSS & JavaScript
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Roadmap
stackoverflow.com/ - Developers asking questions and helping each other

>Tools
jsfiddle.net/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your code
caniuse.com/ - Check browser support for front-end web technologies

Attached: animewdg.jpg (824x553, 168K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sktthemes.org/wordpress/wp_query-create-pagination-wordpress/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Can someone point me into the direction of a decent pagination function in combination with wp_query. I literally need something to copy-paste without much thinking.

I found this but I don't think it has it all:
sktthemes.org/wordpress/wp_query-create-pagination-wordpress/

>inb4 ">wordpress"

It accomplished the job.

I've been running in circles for 9 months studying front end and I'm starting to loathe it.
Send help.

React is comfy.

What are express controllers?

so is angular desu

How bad do you have to be at programming that you can't develop pagination functionality from scratch.
Consider quitting and apply for McDonalds.

How the fuck can I compile bullet3 (or any library) to bitcode so that it can be used with a wasm project?

I'm using emscripten and this is confusing as anything. The usual way to build the project is that you use cmake to generate a makefile but this is very confusing for me.

Emscripten uses the clang compiler but there's no toolchain option in cmake to generate a project for clang. And even then I'm pretty sure the makefile generated will still create .lib files when I need .bc bitcode.

I didn't ask for an evaluation of my skills, nor I care about whether I'm a good programmer or not. I asked for something to "copy-paste" because I fell for the "do it yourself" meme too many times.

asp.net core 3.0 is destroying everything else for backend

How so?

>wordpress
Kek

Google j query pagination

Being the best/fastest/robustest framework!

Very new to all this web stuff.
I've this personal site with little bit of contents and cv. The thing is content page is short and cv one is long. So, how do I set up the footer that goes at the end of the page in content and in cv too.
So far I've tried setting up footer in content page only by using postion: fixed and bottom: 0...It solves the
problem in content page, but in cv it appears at the middle.

I didn't catch any of this, so show your code fren.

Basically there are two pages: one page contains few lines and other one above hundred. I want set up a footer at the end of both pages by using a single id and the main focus is it stays at the bottom of the both pages.

Sorry, I'm outside right now. Probably be home after a hour or so, then I'll post the screenshots and code.

You need to fill the page with content. The footer is at the bottom of the page, the reaso n one page is shorter than the other is because one has content and the other doesn't have as much.

>I want to set up a footer at the end of the page by using a single ID

I'm not sure I get you but you can't, you have to have the HTML for your margin in both of your pages.
Use semantic html then in your css just go
footer {
margin-bottom etc
}

Then use a flex or grid to put your elements in the right spot in the footer.

If what you meant is that you have two pages side by side and you want the footer to display in the same spot in both pages, you might try to play around with something like

margin-bottom:calc(100vh-"amount of pixels of your footer") to put it at the bottom, since the other page is having an influence on your vh this might work.

Why aren't there any rails developer in these threads

give me a few months and there might be.

Where are you guys getting your mail service/host mail servers?
I want my own domain name as email and my home server gets blocked most of the time because the ip range is a consumer one.
I wanted to use the google suite, but it has a lot of disadvantages when being used as individual.

Maybe in the overall market, but as far as "What I want to use" goes, I don't think it even hits the top 5.

retired web "dev" here, need to work a front+backend gig for a small while. what shit do i need to know to be considered up-to-date for today's scene. the only things i remember from my time as a web "developer" are javascript, basic css and very little php. but i imagine that won't be enough in today's world of useless frameworks, trashy animations and npm (ewww)

do users even use progressive web apps? or is it just another dead end?

i use google domains so i end up using email forwarding to gmail

JFF, these no-writing-skills-having retards that make tutorials suck.

Is this the gist of node modules:

If there's only one function exported it then when you import it to a variable that function will be assigned. If you're exporting plural functions you'll have to use a dot to select the function.

Right?

Okay, then how do you spread the exported functions to their own variables, like in ES6:

require react, {useState, useEffect} from 'react'

THANKS

min-height

react and node/express.js

who /web artisan/ here

What sources have you been using?

Attached: holyjeez.jpg (1536x1536, 350K)

Because ruby fags are already rare to begin with
I used to use rails myself but now I'm getting productive with a new stack so there's no reason to start with a rails prototype anymore

is open source a meme

a good meme

Are new React Devtools tabs in Chrome supposed to look like this? What's the deal with this tiny ass emoji?

Attached: asd.png (298x74, 3K)

Are there any js libraries for social media feeds?
Can't seem to find any or anything about making them.

holy shit, it finally clicked

>be the most popular website about literature in the world
>have no REST API with proper json output
>instead your server is shitting out unreadable xml
Imagine being Goodreads...

Attached: 15676790949300.png (780x439, 410K)

Vue is the comfiest

t. Have to use react because no jobs with Vue

What are the others in top 5?

Because it's dead.

Facebook is a bitch when it comes to that. Instagram was wide open but they are restricting it too.

What is a headless cms and how do I use it with react?

why is flutter so fucking hard to set up

is it easier in Linux? I'm in win10

the cms is the server, react is the view, ajax calls

any rails pros figure out how to get css animations working?

if I want to tweak some code and then see how it looks on the page, i can tweak regular blocks in my css file and see the changes on refresh, but if I change an @keyframes block, nothing changes. I can even delete the block entirely and the animation still plays on refresh

what is up with that?

Attached: brule.gif (320x320, 3.71M)

>try to program in windows
unless you're programming in C#, you're gonna have a bad time
that's just how it is

what stack do you use now? im curious because im working with .net mvc and its driving me fucking crazy. though its mostly the people i work under that are just making my life miserable. when i get home i have a hard time choosing between trying to write more c# and js or just going full bore and learning something completely different like rails. i've even been looking at crystal lately because im interested in ruby's syntax but dont want to worry about the speed issues.

Never had a bad time with it when programming in js

is html5boilerplate neccesary? i mean for a professional project. what about normalize or reset.css? what other tools are must have?

Is front end web just memorizing how to do stuff?

Like if you know every common feature of markup languages and front end frameworks are you qualified to work now? Where do more general principles and engineering skills come in?

The hardest part is to configure the iOS qemu-based emulator on Windows, but you can run macOS in a VM.

Node and PHP dev on Windows is comfy.
WSL2 will destroy the need of linux partition.

One might say that the Goodreads API is not a..... good read

Attached: 1541209927940.jpg (600x603, 40K)

how good is webgl? could it run an FPS at 60 fps?

yes it can run 60 of them

It's pretty fun. Try threejs.

OMG, 2019 and not using native Vulkan API, but a JS wrapped shit.

Fuck, I actually laughed.

Attached: 1523970596692.jpg (612x612, 91K)

Do you guys use Debian stable or Ubuntu for your servers?

I'm doubting between Debian because it seems easy to maintain.
But it's also nice to make everything the same OS everywhere, which would be Ubuntu, on my development machine and OS.

Hi do I perform walking through a pagination with a webcrawler? I'm using Node, the pagination have a 'next page' button.

check what the next page button does and replicate the postback.

Debian.
Deployed applications run in docker containers though. Not sure about their distributions, whatever the default dockerfile for the specific runtimes use.

Thanks user...this is exactly what I was looking for.
Just one more question for the guys who are working in the industry. I used to do programming in my high school and learned Java and PHP, but somehow ended up being a construction worker. Now, I want to turn the boat around...please show me the right direction guys.
From past month I'm slowly learning HTML5, CSS and PHP. Created a personal site to add some projects, but couldn't bring up the courage to start a project. Also, should I pick up any framework for PHP, like laravel or symfony or give it two months to read JavaScript.

Look up local job postings on what they use in your area, these wildly vary.
PHP is dead here.

>PHP is dead here
I see JavaScript and Python a lot, but there are some PHP and Laravel jobs. I know I've to learn Javascript somehow...I'm just not willing to learn it right now.

React is deprecated!

Local jobs here, in Belgium, is mostly .net/angular only.

Whats the typical salary for a react developer job in london for someone who is a graduate?

I'm not sure but React might be under "export default" and the rest in an exported object.

The default export can be grabbed by the name directly

anything else in the file not default, can be imported using the object syntax

Your first triad to getting started is HTML, CSS, Javascript. With that you can actually do the front-end of a lot of websites. You already know some java and php so the few things you'd need backend for (like forms and such) should come easy to you.

If you don't learn it on your own and don't have a degree, you need a solid portofolio to compensate. Best you can do is ask around if you know people who might need websites, can go from your local rugby club to your sister's fanart commission shop etc. No project is too shitty when you're starting out.

Also, when I say HTML / CSS I also include Sass and Bootstrap.

freecodecamp
MDN
javascript.info
Udemy
YouTube (Traversy Media)

What's the new thing?

Bump
Am I missing something or is it supposed to be memorization?

>YouTube (Traversy Media)
i always get the feeling he's a very mediocre dev that just has a lot of experience in several things

someone like Ben Awad is much smarter and goes deeper in a shorter space of time on topics

Thanks for the tip. I just use his videos as introduction to topics of my interest.

he has never had a real dev job
he also misspelled "function" in his javascript in whatever minutes video and said "i might've misspelled that" and kept it

Meant to

I'm trying to make a kind of reverse-U-shaped animation with CSS. Imagine an element with position: absolute;, and the following animation set to it:
@keyframes u-shaped
{
0% {top: 0}
50% {top: calc(-50vh)}
100% {top: 0}
}

Now this works all fine and dandy, but because of reasons (i.e. designs), I need the high-point of the animation be higher the SHORTER the screen is. Currently - as the vh unit is 1% of screen height - the element goes higher as the screen gets taller. I want the opposite.
As the screen height shrinks, I need to have the top: calc(*) result in a higher position/lower value.

I suck at maffs, so please help.

What font to you use in your text editor/IDE user? For me, it's Consolas. Maybe I'll try out Input.

Attached: Consolas.png (745x661, 41K)

Been using Consolas for ages. Tried to find a better one, but I doubt there's anything I like better.
I'm not even on Windows anymore, but still use it pretty much everywhere.

What's with this shitty font rendering? The fuck.

>the element goes higher as the screen gets taller
I don't know if I'm retarded or if I can't into english today, but what do you mean?

Do you mean that as your vh gets bigger (meaning the y axis of your screen gets more pixels) your animation also grows taller? And you would like your animation to grow smaller on a bigger screen (for example if your 50vh is 500px, you want a 100px animation, and on 700px you want a 70px animation)?

I don't know if the calc can take multiplications and division so it's the one eyed leading the blind, but you can math it by using a fraction such as n/vh, which will grow bigger the smaller your vh is (1/2 is bigger than 1/4).

So if I try this:
{top: calc(-(100/100vh)*2000px)}

Given a 100vh of 500px, this gives an output of 400px, a 100vh of 700px will yield 280px (note that the number 2000 here is arbitrary and means that your animation shrinks to zero if your 100vh ever reaches 2000px).

no it isn't

But dude... how can you be a programmer if you don't even want try to implement something relatively simple like pagination?

Yeah, that's exactly what I wanted. Thanks, m8.

It's zoomed in.

>I say HTML / CSS I also include Sass and Bootstrap.
I always thought Bootstrap is a bunch of classes and IDs that you need to wrap around your code.
>No project is too shitty when you're starting out.
We do have an local football club, thanks for giving me an objective.

use flexbox, set the body/container to min-height: 100vh

Bootstrap is a framework, meaning a whole bunch of shit has already been coded for you and you don't have to reinvent the wheel all the time, you can just use their tags as classes and that tells your browser how it needs to deal with this div or that html tag.

You add the cdn in your head tag, and you're good to use it.

It's pretty much the best way to make your website responsive / mobile friendly.

For me this is the ideal font and color scheme. Just sauce me up, boys... trying to sauce this shit for months.

Attached: image:18177.png (998x3783, 538K)

Yeah that's what I'm taking about. I'll try to implement my personal site using Bootstrap and see how it goes.

I suggest you use plain CSS at least once to see how it works.
With Bootstrap you'll pretty much be declaring styles inside HTML tags and not understand what they're doing at all.

Sure, Bootstrap is pretty flexible, but many times if you want to make something really custom, you'll need to get you hands dirty in plain CSS.
The CSS syntax and hirearchy is pretty weird but you can use something like SASS to make it more logical.

Can't help you, I'm a tir_black fan (fuck molokai).

Though sampling the colors into hex with a GIMP or other image editor and looking for those with codeword VIM added might help you.

>if you want to make something really custom, you'll need to get you hands dirty in plain CSS.
Can't argue with that.
I'll just play around with some examples given in their docs and see how it goes from there.
Thanks for your valuable tips user, really appreciate it.

> React is deprecated

Attached: 1567490448900.jpg (600x600, 63K)

Font is Hack, idk about the color theme but it looks similar to Dracula?

Stop studying and start coding.
Code anything. A fake institutional website, a todo app, anything. It doesn't matter.
"I need javascript to do this", google it. "I need this button to look like this", google it.

Seriously, it's the only way you'll really learn. I only started getting good after I stopped watching/reading lessons on concepts and just started making shit. You'll learn the concepts better if you just use them for something practical, also you'll feel good everytime you make something work.

vanilla js

Personally, I'd like to use (loosely in order):
Golang
Elixir
Rust
Python (Flask specifically)
Something functional (Clojure and Haskell come to mind)