Interesting Linux phones?

The last thread about this got nuked before I could even see the replies so I thought I'd make another one.
These are the only 3 I know of, is there other projects like this and how far do you people think they'll go?
and would you actually buy them or just eyeball them once before tossing them to the back of your mind because they're "too niche" or some shit.

Phone 1: Librem 5 by Purism
Phone 2: Cell by CIBA
Phone 3: Jolla (Smartphone) by Jolla, yeah it's pretty fucking weird but I can't find much info about it, much like the CIBA one

Attached: loonix.jpg (1518x849, 182K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pine64.org/2019/09/05/september-update-the-pinephone-is-real-shipping-soon/
twitter.com/MarkCIBA/status/1169896305964924929
youtu.be/uoY5LdYjDE4
youtu.be/-4dNo6ASqbM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

aren't android phones technically Linux phones?

Technically, but only in the sense that they use the Linux Kernel, but nothing else really, especially considering how much custom Google shit they've added in.

>custom Google shit
Just call it what it is. Spyware.

Daily reminder that these were made by a mentally instable SJW tranny.

>these
These were all made by different people goober. The only one I know is a SJW Tranny is maybe the Purism guys.

Meizu and BQ made ubuntu touch phones 2-3 years ago but since dropped support for those and I doubt they ever worked in north america. The fairphone 2 ran it and the fairphone 3 might if anyone ever gets around to building the OS for it (but those aren't north america either). The fxtec pro 1 will have some degree of sailfish support if it ever gets built.
You should also add the pinephone to the list.
And when it comes to the librem 5, there's no love for it here. You can't get it and be thought a good person.

These phones are all going to be DOA.

Hadn't heard about the Pinephone before but it seems pretty fucking ugly. Why are all of these ugly with exception to the CIBA one? They seem to be like the only ones who actually give a shit about looks, hence their "Luxury + Linux" motto thing.
The Librem 5 isn't going to be DOA for the trannies, the Jolla one came out and I never heard anything about it so that's true but the other one seems promising and the guys behind it don't seem to be cucked.

If by "Linux OS" we mean "an OS using the kernel called Linux" then yes, Android is a Linux OS by definition.
When you say "it's not really Linux" it's because the term you autists know is correct, but refuse to use is GNU/Linux. Android is Linux, but not GNU/Linux. End of story.

> Jolla (Smartphone) by Jolla, yeah it's pretty fucking weird but I can't find much info about it
Deprecated. Sailfish OS is bought out by Russians and ported to Huawei phones for govt needs.

Fucking shit really? I actually liked Sailfish OS.
The GNOME shit Purism is pushing with the Librem looks nasty from what I've see, but it's still the most acceptable place for GNOME to be on, a touch screen.
I think the CIBA guys are working on their own distro for their phone and I'm assuming their other computers they teased today.

pinephone is literally the only one worth anything, unless you wanna fall for the purism memes which I guess ends up being the second best option
there is no third place even worth mentioning unfortunately

The Pinephone by Pine64. It's like the Librem 5 (open source phone with hardware killswitchs and that lets you install Linux and other OS on it), but with lower specs and prize.
pine64.org/2019/09/05/september-update-the-pinephone-is-real-shipping-soon/
They will ship units for developers soon.

they are are they are the best.

I've been using the Samsung Note 10. It's my first Linux phone and I could definitely recommend it.

>samshit
>recommend
not even gonna give you a rupee bro now get out

It's the most premium Linux phone available.

I'd rather bathe in my own piss shit and cum than use another Samshit phone, maybe you're just used to it because you live in India, Rasheed

Isn't samshit the one that has OotB unlocked bootloaders and is near-impossible to bootloop? Why does all of Jow Forums hate them? Half of the chinkshit phones have permalocked bootloaders, another half require you to login and then wait for days or weeks. I recently unlocked an old motorola phone and while it didn't require waiting, it did require making a motorola account, and then set a big fat "WARNING: your bootloader is unlocked, blah blah paragraph of disclaimers" as the boot splash screen (the pre-OS one, which doesn't get changed simply by installing a different ROM).
Samshit may be expensive, but you don't have to buy their $1000 flagships, and they seem to be pretty consistent at not spending tons of effort to thwart the 0.001% of the customer base that wants to actually own their hardware (as much as is possible given the non-free firmware blobs everywhere).

>Why does all of Jow Forums hate them?
Shitty software, god awful hardware.
The phones themselves are horribly fucking designed inside and out and are even super unsafe even today but nobody talks about it because Louis (((((((((((((((((((Rossmann))))))))))))))))) is a retarded kike shill who always sucks Samsung's tiny chink cock every second he gets.

Thank you for clarifying this, Richard .

Honestly it's great, very early days, and in dire need of consitancy and champions. For all the issues purism is doing a lot of good by bringing mobile UI standards to Gnome, i look forwards to someone taking their work and sticking it in better hardware. Pine seem to be doing the same thing for KDE, which is good, means both the big two have mobile UI options and in an ideal world, just stick a USB-C cable in and get a plug in desktop or one of those laptop shells.

>Shitty software
AOSP is the same on every vendor, I'll never understand this argument. You don't have to use Samsung Keyboard or Samsung Internet or whatever.
>god awful hardware
>The phones themselves are horribly fucking designed inside and out
This I can believe, can you elaborate on what's actually wrong with them? My only personal complaint from using one is the glass back but this is so ubiquitous on modern phones that I don't think it counts. What's actually wrong with the rest of their hardware?

No, user is lying.
They made business deals with the russian government to provide a mobile phone OS that's more trustworthy than the US spyware OSs. They're however not producing any phones themselves. They adapt SFOS for contract phones of several carriers (somewhere in India and South America) and also provide a buyable self-flash version for the Sony Xperia phones.
Their original phones from 2013 are still supported by the most recent version of SFOS, mind you. No noticable slowdown either, I can only image how fast they must run on an Xperia.

I kinda want to see more people talking about Jolla Phone or CIBA Cell, not many people have mentioned anything about either of those devices lately (although the Cell was only just teased yesterday)

I think the Librem 5 actually has Ubuntu Touch support too so you get even more UI options. We don't know what CIBA is doing for the Cell yet but I think they're making their own DE because Mark hinted at it on his twitter

The battery is my main complaint design wise. For one the fucking heat pipe runs under the battery, almost if not actually fucking touching it.
On top of that, it's super squeezed into the hardware so it has no room to expand (Like with the Note 7)
And to make it even worse, because the back is made of glass, and they don't have a metal panel behind the glass (like iPhone), when the glass shatters there's a chance that the battery can get punctured. I actually knew a guy who dropped his Note 9 and it immediately burst into flames because a shard got into the battery. They also do other stupid shit like moving the fingerprint scanner from the perfect spot with the S8 to whatever the fuck the S9 have and put it into an even more retarded spot with the S10

Oh ok. Yeah I only have an S7 with a proper physical front fingerprint sensor, I'm not gonna fuck with side or back or underscreen sensors or whatever. The battery design is news to me though

Yeah nobody fucking talks about it here. I'm a hardware engineer and the Galaxy/Note series have the worst designed batteries in the industry.
Even fucking Apple does the batteries better because they give the batteries room to expand and they give them a metal plate so they can't be punctured if the rear glass shatters.

See, this is the problem if calling everything "linux" instead of "GNU/Linux". People get confused, they think Android is Linux.
What you refer to as Android is in fact "Botnet/Linux" or as I have come to call it recently "fucking jewgle spyware botnet plus linux".

Linux = kernel
Android = abomination using a kernel called Linux
GNU/Linux = the thing you call Linux and you use in your desktop, possibly.

This confusion could have been averted if the OP just said "GNU phone". What you want is a free, libre, GPL licensed phone -> GNU phone (that incidentally will use Linux as its kernel).

Thank you, Richard.

>Phone 2: Cell by CIBA
This is the first time I heard of it.

Android.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, Android, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Android plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Android system made useful by the Bionic corelibs, Toybox utilities and other open source software comprising a full OS designed for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.

Many users run a proprietary version of the Android system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Android which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Android system, developed by Google.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the Android operating system: the whole system is basically Android with Linux added, or simply Android. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of Android.

It was teased just yesterday, I found it through a bot on twitter that retweets #Linux so I thought you guys would have heard of it but I guess it's too new

twitter.com/MarkCIBA/status/1169896305964924929

That explains why I couldn't find a website or an article about that phone.

Yeah it doesn’t look like they really care about setting up a website or anything, they just wanna make shit and get it out there. They’re probably only gonna talk about it there and not anywhere else. I think Mark is pretty active on that account so maybe you could ask him about it if you have some questions.

I want a GNU phone/tracking device

It doesn't exist. It isn't worth anything really.

youtu.be/uoY5LdYjDE4
youtu.be/-4dNo6ASqbM
Wow, your bullshit with as many buzzwords as possible isn't true, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

it literally exists in devkit form, prototypes exist in parts-in-factories form IIRC
>make fully rendered meme SFX video ad thingy
>"they just care about getting shit done, they don't care about setting up a website or anything"
I'm sure making a video render is so much easier than slapping together some CSS and a functional HTML template with basic info, to at least let people find a domain name for it.

Not biting your bait, either fuck off back to Jow Forumseddshit or take a fucking look at a schematic for once you autist

I’ve worked with 3D before like that, they probably already had a engineering model that they’re using for promotional. I mean all it’s doing is spinning and moving backwards, it’s not hard.

I thought there was something called "Mubuntu". I saw it somewhere.i wanted to try it on an old android.

Please stop using "Linux" unless you're actually referring to kernel-related stuff. Use the proper OS names, such as "Android" (phones), "GNU" (hurd) and "SystemD" (most desktop Linux-based operating systems).

>Not biting your bait, either fuck off back to Jow Forumseddshit or take a fucking look at a schematic for once you autist
The fucking fucking fucking fucking fuck are you even talking about? Did you misquote?

PinePhone. Just like purism but less of a fucking meme and more of a phone.

I'll buy 2 pine phones probably.

LineageOS doesn't have spyware.

what is with the tranny hate meme? i can't even name any trans developers, and don't understand how that effects the product

Attached: 4f7.jpg (960x876, 136K)

Is Libre the Mac of FOSS machines? Why are their laptops so expensive for such garbage specs?

Attached: based.jpg (720x720, 240K)