/fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Welcome to /fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Windows and share their experiences.

This is NOT Windows vs any other OS thread.
*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Windows Thread ***

Tell us about tools, utilities, configs, tips and tricks that make your life with Windows (more) bearable (or even pleasant).

>Choosing, downloading, installing, activating windows / office
rentry.co/fwt

>LTSC 2019 ISO optimization & debloating
rentry.co/ltsc_optimized

>recommended windows software (infograph)
s1.desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/g/image/1562/46/1562467997749.png (embed)

>windows 7 updates to avoid
pastebin.com/a1htBUby (embed)

previous thread:

Attached: windows9.jpg (642x800, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ghacks.net/2019/09/03/what-is-the-best-free-archiver-to-extract-archives-and-compress-files
forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/kms_vl_all-smart-activation-script.79535/)
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619/windows-10-update-history
github.com/stax76/mpv.net
forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-7-sp1-media-refresh-download-links.60681
forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/simplix-pack-to-update-live-win7-system-integrate-hotfixes-into-win7-distribution.45005,
the-eye.eu/public/MSDN/Windows Vista/
the-eye.eu/public/MSDN/Windows 7/
techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-IT-Pro-Blog/LTSC-What-is-it-and-when-should-it-be-used/ba-p/293181
github.com/ttroy50/cmake-examples
uupdump.ml,
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

friendly reminder: this is the recommended archive program now.

ghacks.net/2019/09/03/what-is-the-best-free-archiver-to-extract-archives-and-compress-files

Attached: serveimage.png (280x140, 6K)

Hi, I'm following Rentry's guide to debloat and install LTSC 2019, but I'm having problems at the W10UI step. First of all, the link in the guide doesn't lead me to a download page. There is one in the profile, and I downloaded W10UI_7.1, which I supposed to be the same thing, up to date.
After several hours of work to integrate the updates, though, it spat out a .iso that when started with a VM gives me this screen.

Could you tell me what am I doing wrong?

Attached: wat do.png (1026x842, 42K)

update: just tried and started it with just the EVAL .iso and it's still the same error.

Where can I find SVF files for other languages of Embedded POSReady 7?

>Could you tell me what am I doing wrong?
Following the guide of some autist to fuck up with your perfectly fine LTSC install disabling shit you don't even know what it do for literally no perfomance or privacy gain

My first computer was windows 8, so I've always used that, it's not so bad besides the actual windows screen

I got a windows 7 PC from a friend, but don't have a monitor only HDMI and a TV, so no image shows up, any help?

wellp, you may be right, but I tried mounting everything in the VM, and even the raw untouched iso is giving me trouble.

There is the possibility that I could just be retarded

Attached: Screenshot_1.png (1024x917, 47K)

1. download LTSC (magnet:?xt=urn:btih:369E0306EF42BA0A1463E914C8819C3E575EBE8E)
2. unless you know what you're doing, do NOT run debloat scripts
3. run KMS_VL_ALL to activate it when it's installed. (forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/kms_vl_all-smart-activation-script.79535/)
4. live & learn, LTSC is already debloated, these steps are just taking it to another level

will do. it'll take a couple hours to download with my shitty internet, but if this works I'll be set and very grateful

do you even have a 64 bit CPU? maybe when you created the VM, you accidentally selected a 32 bit version.

that magnet link points to 4 different ISO's, only select the language/arch (x86, x64) that you'll need

well, retardation confirmed. I did select the 32 bit VM, because there was no 64 bit option available. in my defense, it's my first time using a VM, and I'm learning all this from scratch.

Thanks for pointing this out. It'll still take some time for me though. I have a pretty bad adsl (just having the torrent dowloading is making the recaptcha fail to communicate...)

>making the recaptcha fail to communicate...
geez, where do you live? in a cave in iran?

as I said in step 4, live & learn, i felt like such an idiot when I was moving from 7 to 10, but some time on MDL taught me so much. that win10UI tool is very handy as one can create an updated ISO so a fresh installation will automatically install the newest CU (cumulative update) so you'll have less to install when you hit Windows Update. new security patches are normally released on the 2nd Tuesday of the month, they can be located here: support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619/windows-10-update-history

>geez, where do you live? in a cave in iran?
eh, something like that: rural Italy.

>so you'll have less to install when you hit Windows Update. at this point, considered that I'm using a fucked up version Win 10 Professional I already had to reset because it froze up after 15 seconds from login, I just want to move on to LTSC. If win update will have to do some more, I'll let it do it's thing

there isn't such, theres another language pack iso thing instead

I downloaded the .iso, mounted with Rufus on a drive, booted with it, and got this error. What does it mean? I tried using the win 10 pro installdrive to recover it, but nothing seem to work. could reinstalling win 10 do anything to help?

Attached: halp.jpg (1280x583, 117K)

Don't forget to install mpv.net after installing Windows 10.

github.com/stax76/mpv.net

Attached: mpvnet.png (256x256, 8K)

Cirno is a baka for using windows

will do that, then. Even though I find it ridiculous that booting from a pendrive to install an OS would require drivers from another OS on another drive

I just bought a new flash drive (64gb kingston DT). while copying files to it, it will copy for a second, and then stop, and then copy a bit more, and then stop, and repeat this until the file has copied. it doesn't do this on another pc i tested (running linux).
anyone have any idea why this is happening?

I stay on MPC-HC until the day I die.

not sure if you're still present but get it to work in a VM first before installing natively. baby steps man

just take the ISO, boot straight to it in the VM (make sure you choose 64 bit Win 10). let's see what happens.

****** or 32-bit, only you know what hardware you possess man, though you really went cheap if in fact it's not 64 bit.

I used the LTSC optimize script a while ago and what I would recommend is to just get rid of Windows Defender. The rest is a fucking meme. Heck I would even say LTSC is a meme but to be fair I have had more issues with 1903 (though I'm sure I'd be fine if I used 1809).

>Heck I would even say LTSC
IMO, if one uses 10, use LTSC. it's not perfect, but it does what 10 does, just with a lot less bloat & normal MS bullshit. let the beta users test out the new feature updates, we'll get the features in a few years when the next LTSC is released.

>check if the cable is working
>make sure it's plugged into the correct port dedicated/on-board
report back

Hyper-v or vmware? Which one is faster/more performant?
Just want to run a separate linux/IBM/systemd distro on the side to do web dev stuff, and no wsl is too slow and wsl2 is literally just hyperv anyway

why not virtualbox?

Nice. I like it more than 7zip already.

Attached: bandizip.png (786x487, 48K)

Ty friend, used a dvi to hdmi and it worked so i have no idea what happened

Windows 8 milestone 3 should've been the release version

Attached: 81R7XYBOtVL._SX569_.jpg (569x569, 31K)

why are you shilling malware?
enjoy being filtered, you fucking cunt
this shit is proprietary too

Wow, you took an image straight from bandizip's home page, that appears to be of an archive of the source code to bandizip that we don't have. I'm sure you're absolutely not a shill and are totally a real user.

>this shit is proprietary
You know you are in a Windows thread, right?

fell for the linux meme, but im finally back home

Attached: Untitled.png (5200x1080, 1.43M)

>you installed one proprietary program from a trusted software company that everyone uses
>therefore you must love installing proprietary freeware from any random company around
I bet you have lots of stds.

you know that 7-zip exists right?
i would rather pay 10 winrar licenses than trust this shitty program you are shilling
i already identified your posting patterns, cuck
have fun getting filtered
imagine being so pathetic you have to shill your software here

1 year of using and entering all my personal info into windows 10 AME and nothing has happened. Can confirm it's not botnet.

Attached: image.jpg (1366x768, 111K)

>I rather buy 10 winrar licenses.
Good one user.

>I bet you have lots of stds
My computer is fine. I use common sense for security.

Attached: bandizip-connection.png (940x710, 87K)

>My computer is fine
When did I ever say anything about your computer?

Where to find fully updated ISOs of 7 and Vista (the latter for use on a VM, former for thinkpad x230)?

forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-7-sp1-media-refresh-download-links.60681

i wouldn't recommend downloading a homebrew ISO (too risky). Take a basic ISO, then download Simplix (forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/simplix-pack-to-update-live-win7-system-integrate-hotfixes-into-win7-distribution.45005, downloads all updates, minus telemetry), slipstream it into the ISO. if you don't trust Simplx, then just download the original 7 ISO and spend the next hour or 2 downloading all the updates.

you can get vista for the vm here the-eye.eu/public/MSDN/Windows Vista/
i dont think a windows 7 iso with all the updates exists out there, but you can get the official sp1 64 bit windows 7 on the eye too the-eye.eu/public/MSDN/Windows 7/

always remember to check checksums, dont trust shady sites
ive used the windows 7 iso before for a vm with no internet access, but i never used the vista one

based and arinopilled

when is the next big update (to whatever version win10 will be on at that time) for ltsc?

techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-IT-Pro-Blog/LTSC-What-is-it-and-when-should-it-be-used/ba-p/293181

"We create a new LTSC release approximately every three years, and each release contains all the new capabilities and support included in the Windows 10 features updates that have been released since the previous LTSC release. Unlike the year-and-month terminology employed to describe Windows 10 features updates (e.g. 1703 or 1809), LTSC releases are named with a specific year, such as Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2016 or Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019, and they align to perpetual Office releases such as Office 2019."

Since the current LTSC came out in late 2018, then assuming MS stays on schedule, then I'm thinking kate 2021 is when the next version drops. But this is MS, shit will likely change.

thank you good sir for posting the needful

stop shilling your shitty hacked iso

Just use 8.1 or as I call it Windows Chad Edition

does ltsc work with the 5700xt and the oculus rift s

Attached: 1449516142517.gif (367x219, 523K)

>kate 2021
Post platform.

VLC = better than mpv

>kate 2021
read the previous phrase, then figure out the issue.

mpc-hc > all

There you go user, destroying my dreams of a midterm battle royale.

I would have used it if that was true.

>Very Lousy Code and Media Placeboo Codec

Attached: mpvchad_vs_madvirgin.png (1872x936, 249K)

Having a real good user experience with Bandizip.

Attached: bandizip-context.png (374x564, 15K)

nothing of that retarded memepic applies to VLC.
You just pulled this shit out of your ass.

Does it have a cascaded menu mode like 7-zip?
I use all the options except the "zip and email" shit, so filling the top-level context menu with cruft is a big thumbs-down.

It... has a menu that looks like winrar's context menu? Wow so many features. So amazing. I'm sending a thousand dollars to the author of bandizip right away, this is revolutionary.

Yes. You can configure it in the settings.

Gotta buy that winrar license first, user.

Attached: bandizip-context3.png (730x333, 18K)

>get a notification that support for my version of windows 10 will be ending soon
>windows hasn't auto updated despite the fact that I leave it on all night every night with nothing open, giving it ample time to do it's thing while I sleep
Is this supposed to happen? I thought you could just leave windows 10 alone and it would keep itself up to date

>Gotta buy that winrar license first, user.
Or just unclick cascaded context menu in 7-zip options

Need help with disabling windows update permanently on my W10 Home. It keeps taking up 25% cpu and I'm fed up of hitting Win+R services.msc every single time on every startup. Also the latest update broke nearly everything on my laptop.

Anyway to do it in Home or if there's a registry hack? Guides I found are for non-Home W10 only. Thanks in advance.

>help me an hero
This is a FRIENDLY Windows thread. We don't do assisted suicide here.

Attached: ECZDKPgW4AAFFDF.jpg (950x631, 63K)

No

What alternatives do I have to visual studio?
What was the last version of vs to not inject telemetry in your programs?

Attached: 1486446034754.jpg (612x408, 48K)

visual studio is just an IDE it doesn't inject anything (does have telemetry though)
microsoft's compiler, cl, is what injects shit, and it always injected some level of offline telemetry (the rich header) and used to inject online telemetry but stopped after people called them out on it

the singular alternative compatible with microsoft's C++ ABI is clang-cl

also you're still going to have to install the windows SDK which includes cl.exe

oh and clang-cl is compatible with visual studio and is also much faster, more compliant, more feature rich, and all round better than cl
you should always use it
i use clang 9 i compiled from llvm's git
it took literally 9 hours but it was worth it it's got some nice features

>it took literally 9 hours
Holy shit, can't you cross compile clang for windows from linux or something? Did you compile it with cl or bootstrap from a precompiled clang-cl?

Oh that explains a lot, so i can keep my DE and use a different compiler
>online telemetry but stopped after people called them out on it
I doubt it but whatever
But can you use other parts of the SDK without cl.exe? Even if one is not working with c++?

Bootstrapped from windows, I think the biggest problem was cmake is a little bitch who refuses to use lld-link.
This was unfortunately like a week before microsoft optimized their linker by multiple magnitudes so linking took so fucking long.

>I doubt it but whatever
They did stop, people dissasembled the binaries.
>But can you use other parts of the SDK without cl.exe? Even if one is not working with c++?
Yea, as long as you're working with C or C++.

That makes it sound like you're working with something else, C# maybe?
That's a bit different, for one I don't think you need the windows SDK, I think you just bind to the .dll binaries already on the system using pinvoke.
Also, unfortunately, afaik, aside from mono no one aside from microsoft's got a compiler.
.NET core's open source though, roslyn and core-clr probably either don't have telemetry, or more likely, have a compiler flag to disable it.

> I think the biggest problem was cmake is a little bitch who refuses to use lld-link
I think the biggest problem is NTFS. Compiling anything is much faster in linux.
>This was unfortunately like a week before microsoft optimized their linker by multiple magnitudes so linking took so fucking long.
That certainly didn't help either.

>That makes it sound like you're working with something else, C# maybe?
I'm learning C but I have only made small programs that run in cygwin, I started this discussion looking up to the future but all honest I have no idea on how to write and compile a big program for windows

Oh, C?
C and C++ compilers are usually merged, you'll need to install the windows sdk, and you definitely want to use clang-cl then.
Microsoft's C compiler is unmaintained and their C++ compiler is actually more compliant with recent C standards than their C one.
>I have no idea on how to write and compile a big program for windows
Same way you do it on any other system.
Only you probably have to touch the win32 api which is festering aids.
Get a build system like cmake (here's a good tutorial github.com/ttroy50/cmake-examples ) and copy the project structure of some bigger project (i personally really like how llvm does it).

one thing that's really useful and windows exclusive is linker pragmas which both clang-cl and cl have
makes it much easier to link dependencies and simplifies cmakefiles
#pragma comment(lib, "filename of the .lib file without the extension")

the unquoted lib is literally lib btw
like to link opengl on windows,
//windows library that contains basic opengl functions
#pragma comment(lib, "opengl32")

>I doubt it but whatever
You have to understand that VS is used by professional developers. If it's there, rest assured they will tell you it's there. If it's not there, rest assured it isn't there.
There's aren't NEETs in a bedroom somewhere LARPing as real devs.

>Microsoft's C compiler is unmaintained and their C++ compiler is actually more compliant with recent C standards than their C one
I think I've heard about this, can you compile C with a C++ compiler? I should worry about this later anyway
>Same way you do it on any other system.
I don't have experience with other systems, C is my first language and I've only made programs to learn the internals of the language
I'll look into CMake and such

Guys, I fell for GNU/Linux meme
How do I come back!?
Redpill me on windows

Attached: 1564201298129.jpg (480x480, 22K)

>can you compile C with a C++ compiler? I should worry about this later anyway
For the most part, yes, (there are some incompatibilities between C and C++, but like I said, they're usually merged into one application.
see pic related, just use /TC

Attached: 1556446163126.png (689x106, 4K)

If it works for you, stick with Gahnoo.
If it doesn't, come back.

I'm using gcc right now so I don't need any additional commands.
When I move off cygwin to windows proper I'd have to look for another compiler.

clang-cl and cl share the same options, clang-cl just has additional ones, so it applies to both

>It keeps taking up 25% cpu
maybe it's time to backup/wipe, come home to LTSC (see thread for download instructions)

people don't choose to use windows, they're forced to due to work requirements, exclusive software, or simply not having the time to learn something else
if you've managed to escape windows, why the fuck would you want to go back to it?

Or just wanting something that, y'know, actually works.

Baste trips of truth.

I see you're a connoisseur of repeating digits.

Attached: 1487013333341.png (657x624, 30K)

Any 19H2 testers here? Is it really just featureless bugfixes?

No, I'm not, but I play one on MDL.
Pretty much. MS are holding off on the good shit for 20H1 it seems.

eh, i just download the newest builds from uupdump.ml, install, play with it for 10 minutes, get bored, then wait for the next version to come out.

What are this Shit treads for, how can anyone trust your HAKED GARBAGE?

Hey that's great then, because I truly prefer a yearly model for features.
It will feel more like a corporate environment to me if I wait patiently until every October each year to get the fixed spring features updates the average Joe beta tested for free for me.
After this October, the only thing that would make me install a potential 20H1 update would be removal of Cortana into a store app or any other significant debloat.
Thanks!

Yeah I get that feeling, most of the time I'm just glad when the updates are dealt with in a live system. Testing in a VM is too boring to begin with. I'd rather do a Clonezilla backup and test it hot on baremetal. Only then I can tell how drivers and software work afterwards, but usually I lack the time.

this and checked
I fell for the freetard meme once:
my Bluetooth adapter which was plug and play from day 1 on windows didn't work, not even with 1000 "fixes" I found on forums/the arch wiki
screen tearing on gnome, KDE and xfce
shit performance on my Intel + nvidia setup both with proprietary and free drivers
cancerous boot times on a fresh install on a fucking SSD
meanwhile, on windows 10, you install this bitch, get your programs installed and you don't have to worry about anything ever if you have common sense pro plus 2019
I always read about these retards saying that feature updates break their shit
this used to be true for me back when windows 10 first came out a few years ago
the only case I can imagine windows breaking anything in your setup is if you have a autistic riced desktop with a bunch of modifications
for normal people who change their taskbar position and wallpaper at most, being productive instead of ricing, this isn't a problem
sorry, I just can't be fucked to jump 100 hoops to do what I can do on windows in minutes

>arch
To be fair, there's 99% of your problem right there.