Why isn't Tesla doing better outside America?

Imagine losing to something called a "Leaf" of all things.

Attached: a fucking leaf.jpg (1335x1457, 613K)

Other urls found in this thread:

insideevs.com/news/325877/used-nissan-leaf-buying-guide/
electrek.co/2019/05/17/tesla-nerfs-autopilot-europe-regulations/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Most of the rest of the world prefers smaller cars. A US "mid size" sedan like the Model 3 is considered very large in Asian and Europe.

Until fully automatic vehicles become a thing, I could not care less about new cars.

>a fucking leaf

Well Teslas look fugy, especially inside, and way too bulky.

Cars are a tricky thing to sell. Not only it has to be good and reasonably priced, potential buyers will also consider the availability of support and parts. Nissan has a much greater physical presence pretty much anywhere, so they win at that.

Too expensive + too big + proprietary charger infrastructure

why not just build better bicycles?

Not the fucking reason.

Actual reason: EU hasn't approved autonomous driving. Auto pilot is a big sell. Also EU is run by Germany and they aren't going to damage their own brands by increasing competition

Completely different price range. Not everyone wants to spend 40k on a car, only Americans are such good goys.
Unless you need it for some specific work related reason there is no valid reason to ever buy a car that costs for than 20k.
And no, dick waving isn't a valid reason.

you mean the leaf or tesla? both come w/ standard charging and can be used around the world
Japan uses CHAdeMO
US uses Type 1
EU uses Type 2

tesla has a modded Type2 but usually has adapters in the car so you can use any plug really

Attached: EV-charging-2.jpg (1356x680, 204K)

Real reason: the quickly spread supercharger network in the US gave people the impression that they could charge their Tesla in most places within a few minutes and essentially cross the country in it. It's a confidence boost. Meanwhile with other electric cars the general impression is still that you have to find a wall outlet and wait overnight. I'm a car guy and I have no clue what the charging network is like for other electric cars in the US.

Also Americans are hype followers and brand whores, hence why also every second smartphone sold in the US is an iPhone. This level of brandwhoring is the case nowhere else in the world. Americans don't wanna say "I have an electric car, it's a Nissan", they wanna say "I have a Tesla" because Tesla is Silicon Valley, and Silicon Valley makes trends and shapes the future.

Traffic laws are a national matter, it's not EU stuff.

Europe just generally has smaller driving distances and you can easily get around by train and such. This means that high ranges aren't that important so the quality becomes a bigger selling point and Tesla loses hard in that department.

Combination of reasons.
>price
Tesla is more expensive outside of US. It cost as much as luxury sedan and don't have the same build quality or materials. Leaf is way more acceptable for price/quality
>dealership and repair
Tesla does not have distributor network. A simple body panel change cost and arm and leg and you will wait for it. Combined with poor build quality and stupid engineering decision for simple things e.g. sun roof breaks if someone rear end you at parking speed so you have to replace bumper, trunk and roof, fuck this shit.
>no one wants sedan
suvs are all the rage now and if it is not sub it will be hatchback. Trunk may not be small but the shape of it is making it no useful enough. You can carry washing machine with the back seats down in a leaf.
>too performance oriented
Lets face it. This is usually second car, more close to city car. Almost no one will buy ev for one and only car. Range and charging networks are not up to standard yet, in 95% of the world. So it will be second car for city. It does not need to make 0-100 in 6 sec. It does not need track mode. It does not need battery cooling for moving in a city. It needs big boot and low price and tesla offer none of this. Model 3 battery cooling maybe nice if you consider ev for only car so you can rapid charge it 2-3 times in a day but if you need ev for second car battery cooling will only bite you in the ass, yet another point of failure.

tl. EV are not ready for prime time yet. Nissan build cheaper car with the limitations in mind and no gimmicks. They are also more established brand. End of story. Not everyone is californian onions chugging bugman who worship Musk, people vote with their wallets.

Thats true. But the Tesla is a medium car, and not a big one. So its not car size.

As for the Leaf or other small cars?
Meanwhile Leaf is a cheap bottom level entry model, with questionable design goals. Its essentially a upscaled electric moped car, but without all the horrible compromises those cars tend to have like 1-2 seats and no space for storage.

As a Norwegian, the Tesla is the most popular lone brand on the road, while for every other car its split between several form factors.
Why?
Because it got a lot of good features, even if its not A+ grade quality for the interior.

The real answer is Elon Musk's cult of personality. Musk likes to dream and do big things, and the trend makers in America like that. Once they were on board, wider popularity was all but assured.

>stock Model 3 in burgerland
>35k

>stock model 3 in Australia
>70k

The same reason apple is big in the US and literally nowhere else on the planet.

People who have the money to buy a tesla also have the money to buy a porsche.

And the main reason: people can actually buy Nissan LEAF's today while they have to wait years to get a (cheapish version) Model 3.

>it will be second car for city.
Not at all.

Electric cars only make economic sense when you drive many kilometers.
They cost a lot more to purchase, but they cost far less in fuel and maintenance.

If you're going to have two cars you'll want to do the short trips with the fossil car and the long trips electric.

Same as apple. People don't just buy things because they are "made in us" if they aren't US citizens.

Most LEAFs are cheap and easy to get.

Attached: image.jpg (960x540, 316K)

In Europe, the Model 3's actually have the CCS plug which nearly every other electric car sold in Europe has as well.

non-Tesla's still can't charge at Tesla "superchargers" though, which IMO is a very shitty move and a reason to boycott Tesla.

Tesla offers over 300 mile range option and a RWD model if you want to hoon

>non-Tesla's still can't charge at Tesla "superchargers" though, which IMO is a very shitty move and a reason to boycott Tesla.

Yeah, I can forgive proprietary parts and software bullshit since literally every other car manufacturer does that in 2019, I can forgive the delays since they have a retard amount of back orders and are still ramping up production. But making your huge network be Tesla only? What the fuck? For claiming they want to accelerate the switch to electric vehicles they aren't acting like it.

Tesla announced it was converting it's super chargers in the EU to have the CCS plug and is open to agreements that allow other manufacturers adopt the supercharger tech so other cars can use super chargers

City does not necessary means walking distance. I had work when I had to travel 47km. This is 94km minimum 5 days a week or ~25k km an year at minimum, but you will make more than. Leaf have 7y warranty after this you will just buy newer one. At this time you will have burned at least ~13000 liters of fuel (average 7.5l/100km) this is ~20k usd just for fuel.

>open to agreements that allow other manufacturers adopt the supercharger tech

What does that mean?

AFAIK there is no technical reason why other cars with CCS can't charge at CCS superchargers, just a software based lockout?

A FUCKING LEAF

>I had work when I had to travel 47km. This is 94km minimum 5 days a week

That is exactly what people use their FIRST car for.

Are you saying that after driving to and from work in your "2nd/city car" you went to drive somewhere else 5+ days a week?

>What does that mean?
If some other company wants to be able to use superchargers for it's vehicles, Tesla is open to licensing them

Because the Nissan Leaf doesn't look like the result of a gay orgy between a Porsche and an Apple
Seriously, Teslas are an eyesore

Sure but you still need another car for long trips. In a winter a basic leaf (or tesla) will crap their pants at 200km, no one want to try its luck driving at 10%. You need another car period. It may be some cheap basic car but you need one it does not have to be new. I consider the most universal car 1st car. If you have big suv you drive at weekends and small ice car you drive the rest of the time to work, I will consider the suv 1st car because if needed it can do all the work small car can but the opposite is not true.

>they have to pay

So just as I thought it's not a technical issue: Tesla simply wants extra money for the "privilege" of buying electricity from them.

Imagine if your local supermarket told your local bakery they have to pay them before any customers of the bakery can buy milk at the supermarket.

>In a winter a basic leaf (or tesla) will crap their pants at 200km

LEAF: yes.
Tesla: no.
Most other EV's: no.

Remember Norway is the #1 country for electric cars in Europe.
And one fact about Norway: it gets freaking cold.
And another fact about Norway: it's freaking elongated.

Sure but you have the infrastructure. Try the same in Romania or Poland. You have to plan every longer trip like the attack of Normandy.

>Teslas are an eyesore

The older model LEAF's were far worse looking, and they were also the #1 selling EV's in the world.

Attached: images.jpg (259x194, 8K)

I kind of like it desu

Traffic laws are national, auto standards are EU. Enjoy your fourth reich you stupid euro slave.

It's a bit weird looking but not worse than any Tesla. They just scream pretentious cocksucker

Nobody drives electric outside the 1st world and China.

You can't seriously think those headlights aren't fugly.

This is the point I made in my first comment. 95% of the world is not ready for ev cars, the rest are better off with something like leaf than tesla.

Glad they stopped trying to look different and designed the new leafs as crossover sentras

Attached: 1200px-Nissan_Leaf_ZE1_Nissan_Global_Headquarters_Gallery_2017-08_1.jpg (1200x676, 157K)

>t. Israel's golem

They're goofy
But that's just it

The real question is why doesn't anyone want this dumb thing?
Normies are dumb enough to buy GM products, you see them on the road everywhere, so why not this?

Attached: 2017-chevrolet-bolt_100564896_h.jpg (1920x1233, 761K)

The rest is better off with something like a Kia Niro or Hyundai Ioniq.

The Nissan LEAF is really quite shit compared to other EV's in its price range.
The only reason they sell well is because they have mass production down.

Electric cars are a fucking joke:
>8h to 12h recharging time at 220V. So you better be a good stay at home goy and not move in the night, or build yourself a charging station. If you live in a flat with no garage you are left out.
>Otherwise go find a supercharger and fight the others owners, wait your turn and at best recharge 80% in 20 min. Total time 40' for a recharge, as compared to 2 minutes for refueling.
>RANGE is ridiculous. Rules out electric propulsion for trucks and long range travellers. Meaning combustion engines will still be around, meaning who will buy crap when better is available.
>PRICE: almost double as a combustion car for less moving parts and a simple engine. ALL BECAUSE OF THE BATTERY
>Batteries weight a ton, don't last long, suck in cold weather and catch fire.
>Risk: You live in a flat with a garage packed with combustion engines, you can be almost sure no one is going to burn diring the night. Now imagine that with all EVs recharging during the night.

>t. British Petroleum

>problems that don't exist: the post.

>don't exist
Care to explain? The Japs are going full H2 because of all the problems I listed. The Germans aren't switching yet.

>The Japs are going full H2

No they're not.
Nobody is driving on hydrogen because it has all the drawbacks of electric plus all the drawbacks of petrol plus some drawbacks all of its own.

Tesla's whole lineup is built on dickwaving the range when Europe and Asia don't give a shit about that.

>Nobody is driving on hydrogen
Dude do you live in a cave? They ARE going full H2 and this is an state-sponsored strategy, not a consumer driven change. They are betting big on this. The Toyota Mirai is already being manufactured at Motomachi.

>this is an state-sponsored strategy, not a consumer driven change.
Because no consumer would ever buy such a ridiculous product.

Electric cars are being mass produced and in certain countries you see them everywhere.
Hydrogen, after decades, is still in a "demo" stage with just a handful of cars driving tight circles around that one hydrogen pump they put up as a marketing stunt.

I own a 2011 leaf. This man speaks the truth. Lately public fast chargers have become way more crowded. A lot of them used to be free, but are now paid. The companies that run them charge shit fees, or hold like a $50 amount for 2 weeks every time you charge at one of their stations. I would only advise an electric car if you commute less 30 mins to work and don't drive on highway often.

PROBABLY BECAUSE I CANT ACTUALLY GET A TESLA DELIVERED BEFORE THE MIDDLE OF NEXT YEAR BECAUSE THAT FAGGOT ELON CANT MAKE THEM AT A SPEEDY ENOUGH RATE.

because americans love billionaires and willingly give money to elon musk

>I own a car without fastcharing capability......let me tell you about fastcharging....

In my opinion nobody should buy an electric car unless they can charge at home. Unless you drive a fuckload daily even trickle charging overnight will keep you topped up.

but it's about le weed hairplug space guy

in my country there's 0 charging stations and the price of the "Cheapest" Tesla is enough to buy 10 Miata

Conversion rate is 1.46x so 35K x 1.46 = 51.1K + 33% luxury import GST tax = 68K

>non-Tesla's still can't charge at Tesla "superchargers" though, which IMO is a very shitty move and a reason to boycott Tesla.
Did you guys pay to have superchargers installed? Or were Tesla's money used to build it?

I have the SL model you stupid nigger
insideevs.com/news/325877/used-nissan-leaf-buying-guide/

I didn't pay to have a pub in my street either.
But I can still buy a beer there without having to wear a specific brand of jeans.

If all car manufacturers acted like Tesla and made special snowflake chargers only accessible by their own cars forcing people to drive extra or search longer for a compatible charger then electric driving would never take off.

Frankly, we should have banned Tesla's from all non-Tesla fast charging stations. - just drive 50km to the nearest supercharger if you don't want to be part of the public network.

because there is a global boycott of american products going on

Everybody charges at home, yes.

You should only have to use a fast charger occasionally unless you drive all day like taxi drivers.
And yes, many taxi drivers use electric cars now.

Nissan and Toyota have been the forefront for reliability for ages

Why do people think because a car is electric or isn't environmentally destructive?

True: a global boycott on hugely overpriced products with shitty build quality. - consumer are really mean like that.

>expensive
>long waiting times
>questionable quality control

i see more teslas than leafs in my neighbourhood thou. but a lot more ioniqs than teslas.

tesla has premium prices but entry level quality. either fix quality or lower the prices.

Because most of the world moved on to modern auto manufacturing with tight tolerances and upgraded build quality, not some shoddy nigger-rigged shit from Detroit with manufacturing techniques from the '50s.

So when Tesla comes asking 30k starting for a car, people expect C-class or Series 3 fit and finish, not panel gaps wide enough to fit nigger dicks.
Tesla tolerances and finish are seen as a joke here compared to anything from Japan or Germany.

Tesla's are luxury cars, Leafs are gloried golf carts.

it has cute eyes uwu

Who gives a shit about the rest of the world?

>Tesla's are luxury cars
they're not, they're just priced like luxury cars. nothing about that build quality, interior design and choice of materials suggest thatit is a luxury car.

you pay that price for their cutting edge technology, that's it.

Yet people can still use autopilot here in the Netherlands. I see a lot of Tesla's here.

What point are you trying to make?

same reason he didn't provide any evidence that germany is blocking tesla in anyway, he's either memeing or he's a disinfo mongoloid

tesla is actually the biggest seller in several EU countries

Did Tesla pay for the rest of the network of charging stations that exist and which its cars benefit from? By your "logic" they should be banned from using them.

Uhhhh
Yeah how about make cars rest of the world can afford to buy?

Attached: teslsl.png (1406x891, 439K)

Electric cars are a meme. A full charge lasts no where as long as a tank of petrol and when it runs out you have to hang about for 6 hours to refill. The concept is good but with current battery tech they are extremely impractical and can compete with petrol or diesel. People with money but them so they can sit around with their friends sniffing eachothers farts while talking about how they're saving the environment. In reality it doesn't help much because it's countries like India and China putting out the most pollution

He's a Jow Forumstard mongoloid, but he's not wrong in saying that EU regulations force Tesla to cripple its autopilot function in the EU compared to the US version.

electrek.co/2019/05/17/tesla-nerfs-autopilot-europe-regulations/

Can't compete*

Marketed under Chevrolet. Chevrolet, with its gas-guzzling corporate image. Chevrolet, utterly non-aspirational, trying to sell a car that screams it. From GM, who Killed The Electric Car.
Basically no marketing to speak of.
Non-SUV in an SUV America.
Fisher-Price interior.

>Marketed under Chevrolet
didn't they shove the same tech into the cadillac elr. that failed miserably
>Fisher-Price interior.
it is a chevy though, what were people expecting?

Nissans are fucking garbage but I see so many of them around. Literally everyone I know who has a nissan regrets getting it and they're all on leases. I assume it's because the lease terms seem to be a little bit cheaper than Hondas and other asian brands but shit, no reason to buy a nissan in this day and age.

jap cars are cheaper to repair.

because people outside of america aren't stupid

Yeah I live in Ireland and we are in the EU but have right hand drive cars for driving on the left hand side of the road. Exactly the same as the UK. traffic laws (some) are national, hell some are done by individual counties but EU law still reigns supreme and this includes automated cars

>Non-SUV
They're obviously trying to sell to the prius hippy crowd

>having any new car that tracks you and spies on you
If you don't own a fucking old car without all the modern spyware, you're a moron.

>saving the earth from cataclysmic climate change is a luxury

thx goobermint

This. Also the Volt was a piece of shit, so people don't even consider the bolt.

ive heard the opposite, its rated as one of the best "beginner" / "entry" EV for people who are unsure about em

imagine posting something this idiotic

the model 3 is a performance car that is priced as such. Americans (unlike europeans, who couldn't give a shit) overcome this with large loans and self-congratulation (and this sees people who wouldn't give a second glance at a normal sports car plonking down money for them).
lets bear in mind, this is the same country with women who care about text message bubble colours.

>or hold like a $50 amount for 2 weeks every time you charge at one of their stations
I've had normal gas stations do that to me for pumping $5, it's exactly why I only use cash now