Nintendo Switch Lite Video Export

Nintendo's releasing a redesigned Switch that they claim lacks the ability to be "docked". While docked, the system sits in a proprietary dongle via USB 3.0 and can export HDMI. Could anyone familiar with the tech the Switch uses tell me if this is a software limitation that can be fixed with an update or homebrew, or if it's a hardware limitation?

Attached: z89c8BNQCYa9cmZegSfBc6-650-80.jpg (650x365, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

genkithings.com/blogs/blog/why-can-t-the-switch-lite-switch-to-tv-mode
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Kill yourself soi boy.

You first since you seem to be as tech illiterate as I am.

Nintendo actually uses DisplayPort for video output and the dock is just a converter that converts the signal to HDMI
It could very well just be a software limitation, really depends on how the USB C connection is handled/muxed

Wrong board, guy.

OP asks purely technical question that you have no idea how to answer, so you send him to /v/. Meanwhile, half of the threads on Jow Forums are about nvidia consumer graphics cards, RGB cases and Intel vs amd autism where only gaming benchmarks matter. Go send those guys to /v/ and meanwhile, go fuck yourself.

Take a look here. Next time l2google. It took me 2 minutes to find this when I asked myself the same question.
genkithings.com/blogs/blog/why-can-t-the-switch-lite-switch-to-tv-mode

I can all but guarantee that this is a software limitation, if mariko ever gets hacked (unlikely any time soon), there will 100% be a homebrew to allow the Lite to dock.

It lacks the hardware to work with the dock.
So no, not with current docks at least.

it will melt if its docked, no active cooling and its plastic

If it doesn't have the port, it can't very well be overcome with software, can it?

The Switch Lite apparently lacks the chip responsible for dock functionality. Eg; video output and the USB hub compatibility. So nah, couldn't be re-enabled.

they can run linux tho

Just get a first gen switch bro. Many models are hackable--which you would probably prefer if you are interested in any sort of modification. I like mine, mhgu is da bomb

>that overcomplicated docking hardware that needs two dedicated chips
Why the fuck didn't they just use a thunderbolt port? That would have even allowed for a "pro dock" eGPU

How well do we understand the Switch? I'd figure Jow Forums would figure everything out after the initial week of it's release.

I'm guessing Nintendo used an HDMI port / cable instead of DisplayPort because almost every modern TV has HDMI but not necessarily DisplayPort. I wonder if it's worth the HDMI royalties.

most likely a cooling issue, docked games often draw way more power & push the CPU harder

Docked mode has no impact on CPU clock speed
By default only memory and GPU clocks are changed by undocking, but you're free to override that or even customize them right in software

>I wonder if it's worth the HDMI royalties.
To avoid all the support calls from normies that go like "What is this weird HDMI that doesn't fit into my TV, I am returning this product immediately", absolutely it is worth it.

Because Nintendo is fucking retarded and can't into hardware development, they've been playing catch up with Sony and MS since the Wii years.

fpbp
Nintendron es btfo

It’s not even that the HDMI royalties would have been real expensive
The most expensive part is the adapter chip

Idk how the prices on chips compare, but practically all consumer Displayport things costs way more than their HDMI counterparts. Cheap HDMI cables cost less than cheap Displayport cables. And a basic 4K-capable HDMI switch is $10 while the same thing but for Displayport is at least $40.

HDMI is way more mass produced so even with royalties it still comes out a lot cheaper when it comes to making a cable or putting it in a device then displayport

>720p screen
Oooof.

Also it says they use a USB-C connector.
Show me the chip diagram and I can tell you if they are using displayport still over USB-C or if it's just power.

They might not even contain USB data lines hooked up and just a "dumb" charging port.
If you can still flash linux on this like the normal switch you could use a usb monitor on it but that wont handle fast refreshing because the CPU will be doing the logic translation processing.

Not a fair comparison.
1. those hdmi cables have shitty grounding.
2. most dont use thick enough wire gauge to prevent static with high resolutions over 2ft cabling(this ca
3.most arent even adhering to the newer HDMI specifications and only work for legacy HDMI bluray players
4. the displayport protocol by default is designed to daisy chain monitors with a single display port
Example:
[GPU][monitor][monitor][monitor]

That initial cable has to handle 3 monitors so by default they have higher standard adherence quality.

You got it backwards mate
DP has no real regulation or standards when it comes to cables, you just kinda have to buy one that’s not too long and hope you don’t get display blanking
With HDMI there is some compliance testing for licensing and you can look up the status of a company to see if they are actually selling properly licensed products, if something claims to be a certain HDMI version and it comes from an HDMI adopter you can be pretty sure it meets the spec listed
> 1. those hdmi cables have shitty grounding.
> 2. most dont use thick enough wire gauge to prevent static with high resolutions over 2ft cabling(this ca
> 3.most arent even adhering to the newer HDMI specifications and only work for legacy HDMI bluray players
You must be buying some really shitty unbranded Chinese cables for any of these things to be an issue, a licensed cable that meets its spec isn’t even that expensive in the first place, a licensed 6ft cable that will do the latest standards is only $7 from amazon basics