Sup Jow Forums. So i want to get deep into coding and i want to start learning this. Should i tho? Is it worth it?

Sup Jow Forums. So i want to get deep into coding and i want to start learning this. Should i tho? Is it worth it?

Attached: 2000px-Ruby-logo-R.svg-56a811b75f9b58b7d0f05e83.jpg (768x768, 66K)

Ruby is a bit complex because it's multi-paradigm
As a first language I wouldn't recommend, Python would be better

Ruby's a lovely language, but it's a poor choice as a first language. Pick one of Python (if you want to be generally useful), JavaScript (if you want to do web development or simply want to learn a disgusting programming language), or a Lisp dialect such as Racket (if you want to start with the fundamentals—SICP is not a meme book; it's genuinely great).

>Is it worth it?
Depends a bit on you background and your goals. I think Ruby is a beautiful language but personally I hardly find any use for it.
While it won't let you shoot yourself in the foot, there's plenty of ways to make a mess. But that is mostly true for any language.

>Should i tho?
It should be clear that from the way you describe your situation (i.e. not at all), no recommendation can be made.
Ruby can be a good first language. Or it can be a horrible choice.

Most of the time it boils down to: just do it. Get started. Pick a language that doesn't get in the way (Ruby is fine in that regard) and off you go.

Python is too mainstream. I want something different.

Python too classic, java is fucking abyss. Idk about lisp. Thanks tho

based retard

>i want to get deep into coding
>deep
That's gonna take several languages anyway. Might as well start with Scheme and SICP. Or Racket and HtDP, depending on your background.
Or pick a topic instead of a language (e.g. network programming, system automation, whatever) and pick a language for that task specifically. You will spend way more time learning algorithms, concepts, and system than learning programming languages anyway.

>Python is too mainstream. I want something different.
Generally, that's a terrible mentality in programming, but if you want something some way out of the mainstream that is still useful, consider something like Clojure, Elixir, or Erlang.

Learn Python and THEN learn something you don't find "too mainstream", like Go.

It's fine as long as you stick to one paradigm at a time. Its syntax is particularly good for beginners.
Really just dive in with whatever.

Ruby is mostly obsolete

Javascript is not Java

ruby is and always has been good for literally nothing. if you learn it before anything else, your best hope is to be the annoying asshole on a team (that doesnt use ruby). ruby is the worst thing to happen to the industry in the past 20yrs.

im not a violent man normally. if i had a button in front of me to erase every dev that still uses ruby daily and thinks its the smart thing to be doing, i'd smash it in less than a second. for the greater good.

Ruby is cute stop bullying

if you're true weeb-core you'll also know ruby with your 日本語

Based

oh fuck off you stupid hipster
better learn c if you can even handle it

no joke, learn javascript. namely react. don't listen to these fucktards who hate it on here... once you start with JS most other languages will seem so comfy and you'll be able to write nearly anything to run on anything already.

python3 is fucking retarded.

why the fuck I have to lookup for r"", b"", u"", f"" and other bullshits for just rename some files?

python in general is FUCKING RETARDED. its so unbelievably slow (like ruby) it's truly worthless in any real "use the best tool for the job" scenario. only the women who made it into bullshit climate sciences etc use it in the real world.

The maths in SICP gets real hard early on. At least for me, I only did general maths in high school.

t. an idiot who thought art school was a good idea

>REEEE I HATE PYTHON FOR THINGS THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH ITS USE-CASE
I bet you guys use mac-os because wangblows is popular and leenux is too confusing

Attached: 1567764763310.jpg (361x361, 34K)

>shhh smart chad speaking
sure bro why not?
you can learn OOP principle in almost any language you choose.

Attached: hgfh.png (959x1024, 753K)

>USE-CASE
what use case?

Python is also multi-paradigm dipshit

No, focus on JS instead. Then React

this. listen to him. fuck python and double fuck ruby. worthless garbage language vs. dead language. both unbelievably slow. literally worthless.

Ruby is a hard language to learn and there are no good resources for a beginner, so without a good grasp of fp&oop you will learn it in a bad way. It'a mostly a combination of lisp, smalltalk and perl. I think it's the only mainstream language which combines functional & OOP in a coherent way. For a beginner I would recommend K&R.

>better learn c if you can even handle it
I did in university. But if ruby is dead language then so is c. What the fuck am i going to write on it? Calculators?

a/g/ons, its not the first language im going to learn. I already learned pascal, c,c++ in uni.

Mainstream language get jobs.

Then you're already more knowledgeable than most of Jow Forums and shouldn't ask here.

then it's pretty easy. and don't believe in those python shill, I bet they don't have a job. Ruby is fucking great for writing 5 minutes script and small things.

>Ruby
>Is it worth it?
Is your goal to build websites?

learn c

everything important is still written in c, except for maybe windows

no. it isn't. there's nothing good about it. the paradigms it teaches are only good for a dead language. its recursive faggotry. there is literally no application that it is the best tool for. stop lying to yourself because you were an idiot and learned it.

Well, as their webpage says, Ruby is a programmer's best friend, so maybe if you are not a programmer you won't appreciate the little niceties Ruby has. But still it's a good language for beginners. If it's philosophy has caught your eye, then go for it, you will have fun.

what made it obsolete?

Ruby is easy and I found it somewhat enjoyable, but it's slow as fuck and more or less a dead language.

Ruby is useless. Learn C++ or C if you care about how computers work, and Python if you want results fast. Other than that there's rarely a reason to use something other than Cxx or Python unless you like some other language more.

>how computers work
Where do you get spare parts for your PDP-11? I'm having trouble with the power supply lately. A few years back I had to replace parts of the main memory. I was really lucky to find something affordable there.

Since you want to learn my advice is to not go for mainstream very high level languages like python. A lot of people say python is a great learning language, imo it's not only bad, it might be the worst. There are a fuckton concepts and skills that you will never learn with python, because the language automates them. Start with something like C/C++, Java, C#, Vala, GO, Rust (Rust/Go = kinda gay). That way you will LEARN more. Most core concepts don't exist in python, not to mention the vast amount of information on the internet about solving an issue with python is simply "use that library, it exists already". Python is also a very mainstream and overestimated language, knowing python alone will get you nowhere. These languages will also kind of "force" the OOP paradigm on you and nowadays people who got it forced onto themselves and don't know other are what everyone refers to "code-monkey". They are the same people with the screeches "They told me there is a lot of IT jobs but me can't get no job wtf".
These scripting languages are very valuable if you already know a good amount of programing in other languages, it's not the other way around.
I fell for the "start with python" meme when I was starting to program years ago. I can't say it's the same for everyone but when I got to learn another language it was like learning programming all over again, python used to do all the things that actually require skill, instead of me. Of course this ease of use comes at the cost of extremely low performance and it takes a certain amount of knowledge and experience in advance to know when such a thing is worth it. Even today when I use python I feel like an imbecile, but there are certain things that the language is truly good for. The absolutely same applies for Java Script and Ruby. With Java Script you can go for Electron, Angular, Node.js and turn into the ultimate code monkey and get kicked out of the industry in a few year when this hype dies.

>you were an idiot and learned it.
fuck off subhuman.

I didn't "learn" ruby. I just use it daily and google all the way because I have need for it. Way better than python shit that can't even handle FP correctly (for data transformation), or nodejs shit that can't even download file synchronously.

you outed yourself as a moron with that last statement.

you can't do it natively. I have to do some hack involved invoke curl with process spawn.

you outed yourself as a moron with the first statement too.

Ruby and Python are very similar you fucking retards

Ruby is a worse version of Python with no future and no hope.

C is for retards.
JavaScript is based, its just like a Lisp, you can write it in pure functional style, lambda, map filter reduce and whatnot

No and no. Learn Nim.

>With Java Script you can go for Electron, Angular, Node.js and turn into the ultimate code monkey and get kicked out of the industry in a few year when this hype dies.
Fuck off, JavaScript wont ever get obsolete, also its much faster than python or ruby

Nim is faster than all 3 of those

Learn Lisp, unironically. Start with Symbolic Computation.

this. SICP is god tier, but I would never recommend it for a straight up beginner. It was designed for MIT students who were already familiar with another math/science area.