Are custom ROMs dead?

I'm looking to get a new phone and LineageOS is not supported on hardly anything new. Even for phones where you can still actually unlock the bootloader, you have to jump through a bunch of hoops so the system doesn't realize it's rooted. Are the days of hacking and riceing smartphones pretty much over? Should I just buy a fucking iPhone and hope they respect my privacy more than Android?

Attached: 1561934374801.jpg (226x223, 14K)

>wants to root to get added functionality
>cant
>let's switch to a device that will let me do even less!
buy a shotgun instead retard

Why do you guys want a custom ROM in the first place? Like what features do you want that stock doesn't have?

i find it easier just to get root access to the existing operating system on the device and customize it from there. less issues with certain functions of your phone not being supported by the custom roms due to poor or no driver support.

Freedom

It gets rid of a lot of the proprietary stuff, And gives you options to run firewalls and stuff

oops.. meant this to go to this dude:

Your sim card is always tracking you.

You can already do that with debloated stock+root.

gapps murders your fucking battery life

>debloated stock+root
On some phones that's a lot harder to do than just installing a custom ROM

???

Attached: Screenshot_2019-09-07-20-46-37.png (1440x2085, 325K)

Do Google phones even support root access anymore

That must be a really shitty phone if bootloader access is that easy but root isnt.

Getting root and removing all the shitware.

The removing shitware is literally a quick ADB script. Installing a custom ROM runs the risk of shit bugging out or not being supported.

Not with some ROMs it isn't

What do people use nowadays? Lineage?

Not all phones have stock so some want stock and others want more customization.

why are you using stock browser

>installing a custom botnet on your phone for free

How is LineageOS botnet?

>he doesn't know

yeah, they are just developing for free, enjoy friend :)

I'll go through a phase where I'm on a new custom rom every week trying to find the best configuration for battery life, just to find they're all too similar to care, the rom with the most customization is also buggy as fuck, and the most stable rom is some hyper vanilla experience with no personality at all. So I just go back to stock with root and call it a day til I get the itch again, good way to delete a bunch of junk files accumulated from downloading and testing apps. Half the customization options people want are fixed with a fuckin launcher and the other half generally speaking fuck up the UI in some form or another or just aren't worth the trade off. Fuckin flashed resurrection remix on a OnePlus 3t and somehow that fucked up the 3.5mm jack but only when using my auxiliary cable in the car, but at least I got smart pixel and 8 different ways to customize my battery icon...my recommendation for any phone is just get root access on stock unless that's not achievable or if the stock rom is just absolute dogshit, like samsung

So it's just speculation on your part, right fag?

get a moto or nokia. they have good stock android builds and you can root them

not the person you replied to but i am using stock browser,i really havent found any reason to switch off of it. it has everything i need and its not chrome

Compile AOSP for your device you tard.
Or pay someone to do it.
Or donate that model to lineageOS.

It's much easier now with treble you just need to add addition specific modules for camera or wifi since a lot of phones are different.

I see this shit all the time with women.
>ok lets see android has low, med, and high end phones
>$100-200 $200-400 $400-600 respectively
>IM GOING TO GET THE CHEAPEST ONE :^)
>OMG THIS SHIT SUCKS!!!
>FUCK ANDROID IM NEVER GOING BACK
>drops $1000 on iphone
>WOW ITS AMAZING OMG OMG!!!!!! :DDDDD
>justify the experience because you bought a low or med end android phone and it sucked
>could have just gone all out originall and got a pixel phone with amazing upstream support and unlockable bootloader
>save $500 for pocket money
Fucking tards.

Budget $100-$300 Android phones aren't really that bad nowadays. I got the Coolpad Legacy for my mom a few months ago which you can get for just $99 on boost Mobile or $130 on MetroPCS.

Has 18:9 fhd resolution, microsd card slot, headphone jack, fingerprint reader, 3980mAh battery , 3gb ram, snapdildo, etc. The only major feature it's missing is NFC and maybe a better camera. But those features aren't really important to my mom.

The phone can't be rooted but the Android it comes with is nearly stock.