Jow Forums using MD5

Why does this place still use MD5 for image checksums? It's a severely compromised algorithm. Is there some hidden benefit of it?

Attached: Untitled.png (1849x753, 313K)

It's just checksums for images that get pruned after a couple of hours, why waste any more CPU cycles on them?

your CPU is vulnerable to spectre? throw it out the fucking window and set it on fire nigger

What does it even matter? It's a fucking picture

>It's a severely compromised algorithm.
as opposed to a moderately compromised one?

God I fucking hate HTML

This. What the fuck

>It's a severely compromised algorithm. Is there some hidden benefit of it?
Because it doesn't matter. It's not even md5.

Because if you download the image you have the checksum, which you can then search through the archives with.

>It's a severely compromised algorithm
It's not really though, especially for basic shit like Jow Forums.

This isn't something that require vigorous security.

>Hurr durr I just learned md5 shouldn't be used since it's considered unsafe for cryptographic applications, so it must be useless

The absolute state of this board...

OP you might actually be retarded

Is there a "compiled" markup language where instead of having a string like "" in HTML, there's a byte or two with some value representing that tag?

MD5 is quickly calculatable and thus perfect for verifying file integrity. There's no reason to use a slower key stretching algorithm like BCrypt, we aren't trying to "secure" data by using MD5, it's just checking whether or not the same file has already been uploaded on an active thread

You fucking retard

retard

it's cheap and fast and included in the standard library for just about every relevant language

therefore a good hashing algorithm for anything where security doesn't matter

you do know you have to be at least 18 to use this board, right?

ebml?

I usually reencode my images with slightly different settings before uploading to prevent such tracking

Hi everyone, I understand why md5 is nice for quick checking if images are the same, but I don't understand why Jow Forums needs to send the user the md5 in the first place. Since (I assume) the checking is done on the front end, couldn't someone just change the md5 and get around it? But then it's likely that Jow Forums already verifies on the backend, so that makes me wonder what's the point in sending the data in the first place if Jow Forums checks it on the upload as well?

Reading this is like a dos attack on my brain...

This.
This is all this is.
A fucking newfag newfagging.