Linux distributions

I've been using Mint for almost 2 years. I want to try out a different distribution. Anything else worth trying that looks as good as Mint?

Attached: 1200px-Linux_Mint_19_ Tara _(Cinnamon).png (1200x750, 459K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Install gentoo

>Anything else worth trying that looks as good as Mint?

how about any other distro in the world + cinnamon desktop environment

Boku no Picux.

Arch

no

ubuntu, ubuntu budgie or kubuntu
anything else is a meme

Ubuntu Mate is equal in comfiness

xubuntu
install gentoo

nixOS

I'm running Debian 10.1 Buster with Cinnamon DE.

Pretty good so far. Everything I use runs great and the DE is pretty good.

>looks as good as Mint?
GNOME looks the best, maybe grab a theme, but Adwaita is looking NICE these days. I prefer a different mouse cursor too.

But Ubuntu 19.04 (in a month 19.10) is great.

I don't get this meme.

Fuck off newfag

quit poopin ya pants

thats rude
explain the meme to him
or would you like for him to look it up on know your meme?

it literally doesnt matter which distro you use
just stick with your current one
unless theres something stopping what youre trying to do theres literally no reason to switch
distros are just a fuckin meme

It’s not a meme, it’s a recommendation.

>Anything else worth trying that looks as good as Mint?
Solus and Elementary look very pretty, but Mint is still my "it just works" distro of choice.

Install Manjaro

My Linux/Unix professor uses Mint.

This is the most based post on this subreddit

Gentoo is awful, its more work then "Linux from scratch" or so I'm told, but literally isn't linux from scratch.

Arch is far far easier and get you 95% of the pureness which is honestly far far to much for a newfag and its a meme to push arch on them to.

Just go arch

quit poopin ya pants

Luke recanted his position when he saw a non-arch system.

Distros are about picking package management half the time and there are two options deb and arch

>there are two options deb and arch
i'd just like to interject for a moment

Attached: gentoo-logo.png (666x800, 119K)

(me)

>its more work then "Linux from scratch" or so I'm told,
This is the most retarded meme I've ever heard.

Gentoo is easy as fuck if you're not dumber than a sack of rocks. It's like an LFS build that does everything for you. The only remotely difficult things you have to do, are set some global flags indicating what general types of features you do and don't want on your system, and configure your own kernel. The former is easy as long as you understand what the flags mean -- including a flag means always build features like this when they're available, omitting it means build features like this if they're important to the package, and explicitly excluding it means never build features like this and refuse to build packages that require them -- and the latter is easy as long as you know the single command 'lspci -k'.

>Am I a sack of rocks .gif

Fuck

For me it's all about finding the distro that has good support, good package management and works out of the box on the machine I'm installing it on. And so the netbook runs Debian, the Thinkpad runs Mint, the old desktop runs Lubuntu and my main laptop runs Manjaro. Choice can be a good thing but distro hopping is just a waste of time desu

No it's ok user, there's a (minute) difference between being a bona fide idiot and being too skeptical and/or busy to take the time to understand something. Gentoo is much easier to understand than, say, the internal construction of a system architecture, but understanding the latter pays well, while the only benefit of understanding the prior is a lean and performant system with no spyware and no instabilities caused by programs trying to offer unsupported or undesired features.

"Linux from scratch" is a book that helps you build a linux system

"Gentoo" is a linux system that helps you build a better linux system for your specific use case

I gave it a go as a teen.

I don't remember it being helpful

Not everyone needs a better Linux system. Some people just need any Linux system. Not everyone even needs any Linux system. Some people are content with a Windows or OSX system. Sounds like you are/were a single degree more normal than a neckbeard like me.

Unless you actually used Linux From Scratch and built your entire system from it and you now have a system you can use comfortably. Then you're more of a neckbeard than I am, but if you honestly believe it was easier than using Gentoo would be, you're also somehow stupid at the same time. Which is difficult to pull off, so you have my kudos for that.

I always wondered how Manjaro stacked up against Mint in the "ease of use," category. It seems like it's trying to be Arch's version of Mint, which actually sounds pretty nice.

I'm is bspwm edition so take it with a gain of salt, but the my installer was cli and I could choose my personal shell.

Not really the same as mint.

I like Manjaro better because Pacman is faster than APT and also rolling release vs standard cycle. Despite what people say I've had Lubuntu and Mint break many times on dist upgrades and never managed to break Manjaro once in >3 years of use. I don't really give a fuck about Arch desu, all I wanted at first was a rolling distro for my laptop and OpenSuse never felt quite right to me for some reason.

I may give it a try at some point and see how I like it. I've been on Mint since I ditched W7 (over 4 years), and I like it just fine, but I am curious about what else is out there. Doesn't take much to make a boot stick.

Debian stable KDE if you know what you are doing.

my man

It doesn't "just work" if you're trying to connect to DNS servers other than the one from your ISP.

Explain

Debian+i3 max comfiness

blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994
>still trusting Linux Mint after the backdoor fiasco
>Distro being maintained by amateurs
>Distributing ISOs in a non-https website (pre-2017)
>Hacked multiple times in the same way over several days

Why do you still trust this piece of shit distro? It's literally maintained by amateurs who don't know what they're doing. Seriously, just read that blog post and the comments below it.
If you want a stable and easy to use distro, just use Debian or Ubuntu for fucks sake. Debian can even be installed with Cinnamon.

this